Small South Carolina Bar Bans Guns Inside, Gun Nuts Across

Small South Carolina Bar Bans Guns Inside, Gun Nuts Across

Postby admin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:28 am

Small South Carolina Bar Bans Guns Inside, Gun Nuts Across Nation Have Collective Meltdown
by Jameson

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

March 18, 2014
Class Warfare Exists

When a little bar named Backstreets Pub and Deli in Clemson, South Carolina put up a sign announcing they would not be allowing anyone carrying a concealed weapon into their establishment, it was reasonable to expect some backlash. Gun enthusiasts can sometimes be very defensive of their right to carry. Even asking for relatively uncontroversial changes to gun laws such as limiting magazine capacity or preventing the sale of assault rifles are treated like an encroachment on their freedoms.

The way the sign said it made matters worse:

Clearly the owner is not afraid of controversy, but it’s hard to imagine he was prepared for what came next. Hundreds of incredibly pissed off pro-gun supporters across the nation, swarming to Yelp to write fake reviews to destroy the business.

Some merely bashed the food and service (despite having probably never eaten there):

James W., Stewartstown, PA: Food was cold and flavorless. Service sucked, the server acted like they were doing us a favor to wait on us. I would not go back to this dump even if he allowed concealed weapons on premises. His sign was insulting to all the legal CCW people and un-America. Give this place a wide berth, it is lousy.

Philip H., Greensboro, NC: Rude service and watered down drinks. Practically had to beg the bartender to take my food order and when we got our drinks they were not only wrong but tasted like piss water. Once we finally got the food it was mediocre at best, but I wound up getting food poisoning and missed work for the next 2 days. Needless to say I will never be coming back. Enter at your own risk!

Scott B., Centennial, Portland, OR: Food sucks, over priced. Owners a blatant liberal idiot that uses the establishment as a cover for his meth lab in the back. I hope this business fails and the owner commits suicide. Seriously. Choose Taco Bell

Victor N., Santa Clara, CA: attention thieves and burglars: this is a gun free zone. neither the owner nor any of the patrons can defend themselves. the police evidently cannot enter the establishment either.

Terri S., Charles Town, WV: Not allowing abiding permit holding background checked conceal carry permit holders into your establishment is begging for criminals to come in and make an easy target out of you. I would have given it a try if it weren't for the sign on the door not allowing law abiding citizens in.

Chad S., Lake Havasu City, AZ: Now is the time to write a sincere apology for calling legal gun owning citizens "douchebags". Because these "douchebags" just put you out of business. Go ahead ... remove your foot from your mouth, then your head out of your a$$, swallow your pride, and do the right thing.

But if the 2nd Amendment crowd thought this would cause the bar to apologize, it seemed to fail. The Facebook page for Backstreets is down, but a cached version shows the owner responding in a decidedly unapologetic (albeit grammatically terrible) fashion.

Backstreets Pub & Grill, 48 minutes ago: Those were temporally signs you mouth breathing morons. None of you guys even come in here.

The owner added that he himself is a gun owner, but “Sorry, but I’m not sorry. If you feel the need to bring a gun into a college bar you are a douche bag. And if you’re drinking than you are violating the law.”

The sign itself was likely a response to the troubling new law South Carolina passed last month that allows gun owners to legally carry their concealed weapons into drinking establishments unless the restaurant explicitly forbids it. This puts restaurant in a difficult position: either allow customers to treat your bar like a Wild West saloon or hang up a sign which will certainly invite the ire of a hyper-sensitive, fight-ready interest group who treat any limitations on their ability to carry a firearm as a tyrannical power grab. In South Carolina, bar owners get to pick between having their business shot up or 300 scathing yelp reviews from people living five states over. It’s a tough choice.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Pete Matsko