Alleged Manifesto of Dylann Roof Confirms Motivation for Sou

The progress from Western colonial global expansion, and the construction of American wealth and industry on the backs of enslaved Blacks and Native peoples, followed by the abrupt "emancipation" of the slaves and their exodus from the South to the Northern cities, has led us to our current divided society. Divided by economic inequities and unequal access to social resources, the nation lives in a media dream of social harmony, or did until YouTube set its bed on fire. Now, it is common knowledge that our current system of brutal racist policing and punitive over-incarceration serves the dual purpose of maintaining racial prejudice and the inequities it justifies. Brief yourself on this late-breaking development in American history here.

Alleged Manifesto of Dylann Roof Confirms Motivation for Sou

Postby admin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Alleged Manifesto of Dylann Roof Confirms Motivation for South Carolina Murders
by Emily Atkin
June 22, 2015

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

A reverse Whois domain name lookup by Twitter users @HenryKrinkle and @EmmaQuangel has revealed a manifesto that appears to be written by Dylann Roof, the white 21-year-old who recently confessed to the brutal murders of nine black people at the historic Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

If the manifesto is authentic, it will undoubtedly serve as confirmation for what motivated Roof when he opened fire on members of a Bible study group on Wednesday. Indeed, if authentic, the document would confirm Roof’s motivation was not to attack Christians or Christianity, as many have claimed.

“I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country,” the document reads. “We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me.”

That Roof’s motivation was hatred against black people does not come as a surprise. Following the shooting, Roof was quoted as follows: “You rape our women and you’re taking over our country. And you have to go.” The South Carolina native had been photographed wearing a jacket bearing flags representing two African countries where whites once ruled blacks, and reportedly told friends he wanted to start a race war.

Still, some have been reluctant to admit the nature of the crime, including some candidates for president. Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry called the shooting deaths of nine black church members in Charleston, S.C. an “accident,” while Rick Santorum characterized it as “an assault on our religious liberty.” Santorum later walked those comments back.

By contrast, the document allegedly written by Roof is a sickening diatribe against people of color and Jewish people. Black people are referred to with racial slurs, as “lower beings,” and are described as “stupid and violent.” Hispanics are described as a “huge problem for Americans,” and the author speaks of a desire to “destroy the jewish identity.” The author speaks frequently about white people being victimized by blacks. “Every White person is treated as if they had a slave owning ancestor,” it reads.

As for how the author — allegedly Roof — came to these conclusions, the document cites the historic case of Trayvon Martin, in which the unarmed 17-year-old black man was fatally shot by George Zimmerman. The author said he “was unable to understand what the big deal was. … But more importantly” the case prompted him “to type in the words ‘black on White crime’ into Google.” There, the author said, he found cases where white people were murdered by black people. “I have never been the same since that day,” the document reads.

Indeed, many of the author’s motivations appear to come from fringe areas of the internet, and it cites a desire to go beyond “talking on the internet” about these ideas and take action. In light of that, ThinkProgress has decided not to link to the document in full at this time.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Alleged Manifesto of Dylann Roof Confirms Motivation for

Postby admin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Dylann Roof Photos and a Manifesto Are Posted on Website
by Frances Robles
June 20, 2015

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Dylann Roof spat on and burned the American flag, but waved the Confederate.

He posed for pictures wearing a No. 88 T-shirt, had 88 Facebook friends and wrote that number — white supremacist code for “Heil Hitler”— in the South Carolina sand.

A website discovered Saturday appears to offer the first serious look at Mr. Roof’s thinking, including how the case of Trayvon Martin, the black Florida teenager shot to death in 2012 by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, triggered his racist rage. The site shows a stash of 60 photographs, many of them of Mr. Roof at Confederate heritage sites or slavery museums, and includes a nearly 2,500-word manifesto in which the author criticized blacks as being inferior while lamenting the cowardice of white flight.

“I have no choice,” it reads. “I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country. We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me.”

The website was first registered on Feb. 9 in the name of Dylann Roof, the 21-year-old man charged with entering the historically black Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston on Wednesday night, attending a prayer meeting for an hour and then murdering nine parishioners. The day after the site was registered, the registration information was intentionally masked.

It is not clear whether the manifesto was written by Mr. Roof or if he had control of it. Nor is it clear whether he took the pictures with a timer, or if someone else took them. In a joint statement Saturday night, the Charleston Police Department and the F.B.I. said they were aware of the website and were “taking steps to verify the authenticity of these postings.”

If it is genuine, as his friends seem to think, the tourist sites he visited, the pictures that were posted and the hate-filled words on the site offered a chilling glimpse into the interests of an unemployed former landscaper said to have a fixation on race.

Charleston’s Shifting Population

The racial makeup of Charleston shifted drastically over the last three decades. In 1980, blacks made up nearly half of the city’s population. Today the city is two-thirds white. The Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal church is located in a predominantly white area of the city’s downtown peninsula.

“This whole racist thing came into him within the past five years,” said Caleb Brown, a childhood friend of Mr. Roof’s who is half black. “He was never really popular; he accepted that. He wasn’t like: ‘When I grow up I am going to show all these kids.’ He accepted who he was, and who he was changed, obviously.”

Mr. Roof has been charged with nine counts of murder in the killings. Victims included the Rev. Clementa C. Pinckney, who was both the church pastor and a state senator.

Mr. Roof’s friends say that he only spoke of his murderous plans once — when he recently warned that he planned to do something crazy with the gun he had purchased with the money he got from his parents for his 21st birthday. But they say his sense of racial grievance began with the Trayvon Martin case.

The website, the lastrhodesian.com, which was not working by Saturday afternoon, featured a photo of a bloodied dead white man on the floor. The picture appears to be an image from “Romper Stomper,” an Australian movie about neo-Nazis. The domain name is a reference to the white minority of what is now Zimbabwe, where whites fought blacks for 15 years and enlisted white supremacists as mercenaries.

Family members of those killed Wednesday at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, S.C., addressed the shooting suspect, Dylann Roof, in court. By Associated Press on Publish Date June 19, 2015. Photo by Pool photo.

The site was first discovered by a blogger who goes by the pen name Emma Quangel, who paid $49 for a reverse domain search that turned up the site.

According to web server logs, the manifesto was last modified at 4:44 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday, the day of the Charleston shootings, and the essay notes, “at the time of writing I am in a great hurry.”

In the manifesto, Mr. Roof writes: “The event that truly awakened me was the Trayvon Martin case. I kept hearing and seeing his name, and eventually I decided to look him up. I read the Wikipedia article and right away I was unable to understand what the big deal was. It was obvious that Zimmerman was in the right. But more importantly this prompted me to type in the words ‘black on White crime’ into Google, and I have never been the same since that day.”

The manifesto also says he learned from the website of the far-right Council of Conservative Citizens. The council is an offshoot of a 1950s-era organization that fought school desegregation. A message on its website says the group is “deeply saddened by the Charleston killing spree.”

Violent History: Attacks on Black Churches

The killing of nine people at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, S.C., is among a long list of attacks targeting predominantly black churches in the United States.

A friend of Mr. Roof’s, Jacob Meek, 15, said the references to the Trayvon Martin case made it clear that Mr. Roof had written the essay. “That’s his website,” he said. “He wrote it, and I just can tell.”

Watchdog groups that track right-wing extremism say the manifesto reflects the language found in white supremacist forums online and dovetails with what has been said about Mr. Roof thus far — that he had self-radicalized, and that he did not belong to a particular hate group. “It’s clear that he was extremely receptive to those ideas,” said Mark Pitcavage, the director of the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism. “At the same time, he does not have a sophisticated knowledge of white supremacy.”

The icon for the browser tab on Mr. Roof’s website is an Othala rune, an ancient symbol appropriated by the Nazis that remains common among neo-Nazi groups.

Mr. Roof was the latest in what watchdog groups say is a growing group of lone-wolf extremists. According to a study released in February by the Southern Poverty Law Center, about 70 percent of the 60 recent domestic terrorism attacks reviewed were conducted by people acting alone.

The writings on Mr. Roof’s website show a fixation with black-on-white crime, which is common on white supremacy sites, said Heidi Beirich, the director of the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Intelligence Project.

“They demonize blacks to position themselves as victims, and offer that as proof of why they need their own state,” she said.

In one photograph posted on the website, Mr. Roof is shown posing with wax figures of slaves. In others, he posed with a handgun that appears to be a .45-caliber Glock. He had a .45-caliber Glock in his car when he was arrested Thursday, the police said.

The website’s links contain several passages of long racist rants, in which he said Hispanics are enemies, and “Negroes” have lower I.Q.s and low impulse control. The manifesto praises segregation and says the author’s reading of “hundreds” of slave narratives indicates that almost all slaves gave positive accounts of their lives. The manifesto uses defamatory terms for blacks, whom he accused of being “stupid and violent” with “the capacity to be very slick.” It laments white flight, and suggested that the whites should instead stay behind in cities and fight.

Criticisms are also levied at Jews, but Asians are praised for being racists and potential allies. Mr. Brown said his friend’s transformation appeared to have occurred after he left Columbia, S.C., for nearby Lexington. Records show he switched schools in 2007. “He wasn’t putting on Facebook ‘I hate black people. I am going to shoot up a church,’ ” Mr. Brown said.

Correction: June 23, 2015

An article on Sunday about a website that included pictures and a manifesto tied to Dylann Roof, who is accused of killing nine people at a church in Charleston, S.C., included an outdated reference to David Lane, whose slogan on white supremacy was known to Mr. Roof. Mr. Lane died in prison in 2007; he is not currently serving a 190-year sentence.

Editors’ Note: June 22, 2015

An earlier version of this article included a reference to a British blogger who claimed that Dylann Roof’s manifesto was similar to earlier blog entries Mr. Roof had written. That passage was removed from the article after questions were raised about the blogger and his claims. Subsequently, the blogger said in a post online that he had fabricated the information about Mr. Roof’s supposed earlier blog entries.

Ashley Southall and Ken Schwencke contributed reporting from New York. Alan Blinder contributed from Charleston, Michael Schmidt from Washington and Kate Zernike from New Jersey.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Violent History: Attacks on Black Churches
by The New York Times

The killing of nine people at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, S.C., is among a long list of attacks targeting predominantly black churches in the United States. A number of past cases involved the burning of churches by Ku Klux Klan members. Here is a selection of those attacks:

The burned out Macedonia Church of God in Christ in Springfield, Mass., in November 2008. Credit Ángel Franco/The New York Times

NOV. 5, 2008
Springfield, Mass.
Macedonia Church of God in Christ

The predominantly black church, which was under construction, was set on fire shortly after the election of President Obama. Of the three white men charged, two pleaded guilty and a third was convicted and sentenced to 13 years in prison.

Sources: The New York Times; Associated Press

Investigators searched for clues in the rubble of the Inner City Church in Knoxville, Tenn., on Jan. 9, 1996. Credit J. Miles Cary/Knoxville News-Sentinel, via Associated Press

JAN. 8, 1996
Knoxville, Tenn.
Inner City Baptist Church

A fire destroyed the sanctuary of the church and racial slurs were painted on the walls. Molotov cocktails, cans of kerosene and gunpowder were discovered in the rubble.

Sources: The New York Times; Associated Press

FEB. 1, 1996
Louisiana
Four Churches

A group of churches within a six-mile radius — Cypress Grove Baptist, St. Paul's Free Baptist and Thomas Chapel Benevolent Society in East Baton Rouge as well as Sweet Home Baptist in Baker — were set on fire on the anniversary of the sit-in in Greensboro, N.C.

Sources: Emory University; Department of Justice

JUNE 21, 1995
Manning, S.C.
Macedonia Baptist Church

Four former members of the Ku Klux Klan set fire to the church, one of several burned by arsonists in the mid-1990s. A fire was set the day before at the Mount Zion A.M.E. Church in Greeleyville, S.C. Macedonia Baptist was awarded $37.8 million in a decision against the Klan. A jury believed the Klan's rhetoric motivated the men to set the fire.

The fire was one of dozens at predominantly black churches across the South that were investigated as arson. A list compiled by The Associated Press is here.

List of Burned Black Churches
By The Associated Press
Thursday, June 20, 1996; 6:36 p.m. EDT

Fires at predominantly black churches in the South that have been investigated as possible arson. (Thursday, officials began probing a similar fire in Portland, Ore.) By date:

Johnson Grove Baptist, Bells, Tenn.; Jan. 13, 1995

Macedonia Baptist, Denmark, Tenn.; Jan. 13, 1995

Mount Calvary Baptist, Hardeman County, Tenn.; Jan. 31, 1995

Mount Zion AME, Williamsburg County, S.C.; June 20, 1995 (arrest made)

Macedonia Baptist, Manning S.C.; June 22, 1995 (arrest made)

St. John Baptist, Lexington County, S.C.; Aug. 15, 1995 (arrest made)

Mount Pisgah Baptist Church, Raeford, N.C.; Oct. 31, 1995

Mount Zion Baptist, Boligee, Ala.; Dec. 22, 1995

Salem Baptist, Gibson County, Tenn.; Dec. 30, 1995

Ohovah AME Church, Orrum, N.C.; Jan. 6, 1996 (arrest made)

Inner City, Knoxville, Tenn.; Jan. 8, 1996

Little Zion Baptist, Green County, Ala.; Jan. 11, 1996

Mount Zoar Baptist, Green County, Ala.; Jan. 11, 1996

Cypress Grove Baptist, East Baton Rouge, La.; Feb. 1, 1996

St. Paul's Free Baptist, East Baton Rouge, La.; Feb. 1, 1996

Sweet Home Baptist, Baker, La.; Feb. 1, 1996

Thomas Chapel Benevolent Society, East Baton Rouge, La.; Feb. 1, 1996

Glorious Church of God in Christ, Richmond, Va.; Feb. 21, 1996

New Liberty Baptist, Tyler, Ala.; Feb. 28, 1996 (arrest made)

St. Paul AME, Hatley, Miss.; March 5, 1996

New Mount Zion Baptist, Ruleville, Miss.; March 20, 1996

Gay's Hill Baptist, Millen, Ga.; March 27, 1996

El Bethel, Satartia, Miss.; March 30, 1996 (arrest made)

St. Charles Baptist, Paincourtville, La.; April 11, 1996

Rosemary Baptist, Barnwell, S.C.; April 13, 1996

Effingham Baptist, Effingham, S.C.; April 26, 1996

Mount Pleasant Baptist, Tigrett, Tenn.; May 14, 1996

Mount Tabor Baptist, Cerro Gordo, N.C.; May 23, 1996

Pleasant Hill Baptist, Lumberton, N.C.; May 24, 1996

Rising Star Baptist, Greensboro, Ala.; June 3, 1996

Matthews Murkland Presbyterian Church sanctuary, Charlotte, N.C.; June 7, 1996 (arrest made)

New Light House of Prayer, Greenville, Texas; June 9, 1996

The Church of the Living God, Greenville, Texas; June 9, 1996

Evangelist Temple, Marianna, Fla.; June 12, 1996

First Missionary Baptist Church, Enid, Okla.; June 13, 1996 (arrest made)

Hills Chapel Baptist Church, Rocky Point, N.C.; June 17, 1996

Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church, Kossuth, Miss.; June 17, 1996

Central Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Kossuth, Miss.; June 17, 1996

Immanuel Christian Fellowship, Portland, Ore.; June 20, 1996

New Birth Temple, Shreveport, La.; June 24, 1996

Sources: The New York Times; The Associated Press

The burned station wagon of three missing civil rights workers — including Michael Schwerner — found in a swampy area near Philadelphia, Miss., June 24, 1964. Credit Jack Thornell/Associated Press

JUNE 16, 1964
Longdale, Miss.
Mount Zion A.M.E. Church

The Ku Klux Klan beat parishioners as they were leaving a church meeting. The Klan's intended target was a civil rights activist, Michael Schwerner, who was not there. The wood-framed church, a historic safe haven for slaves, was burned down.

On June 21, Mr. Schwerner and two other civil rights workers drove to visit the burned church. Afterward, they were pulled over, arrested and jailed. After their release, they were beaten and killed. The mysterious disappearance and murder of the three men were detailed in the film "Mississippi Burning."

Sources: "Crimes and Trials of the Century" by Frankie Y. Bailey and Steven Chermak; University of Missouri-Kansas City

The family of Carole Robertson, a 14-year-old girl killed in the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church, at her funeral in Birmingham, Ala., Sept. 17, 1963. Credit Horace Cort/Associated Press

SEPTEMBER 15, 1963
Birmingham, Ala.
16th Street Church

The Ku Klux Klan set off a bomb under the steps of the church, killing four young girls and injuring more than 20 other members of the church. The 16th Street Baptist Church served as a civil rights meeting place in the 1960s and a center for the African-American community in Birmingham.

The attack brought national and international attention to the struggle for civil rights in Alabama.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:24 pm

admin
Site Admin

Return to Slavery 2.0: Racist Cops and the Prison Industrial Complex