Lawmaker Goes Off on ‘Stand Your Ground’ Bill

The progress from Western colonial global expansion, and the construction of American wealth and industry on the backs of enslaved Blacks and Native peoples, followed by the abrupt "emancipation" of the slaves and their exodus from the South to the Northern cities, has led us to our current divided society. Divided by economic inequities and unequal access to social resources, the nation lives in a media dream of social harmony, or did until YouTube set its bed on fire. Now, it is common knowledge that our current system of brutal racist policing and punitive over-incarceration serves the dual purpose of maintaining racial prejudice and the inequities it justifies. Brief yourself on this late-breaking development in American history here.

Postby admin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:57 am

by NowThisNews
March 12, 2019

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

[State Sen. Stephanie Flowers] It doesn't take much to look on the local news every night and see how many Black kids, Black boys, Black men are being killed with these stand your ground defenses that these people raise, then they get off. So I take issue with that.

I’m the only person here of color, OK? I am a mother, too. And I have a son. And I care as much for my son as y’all care for y’alls. But, my son doesn’t walk the same path as yours do, so this debate deserves more time.

Now I'm in Pine Bluff. We have killings regularly down there. Mr. Hunter knows, he's our prosecutor. Now I don't know where the heck -- I know where you are from, Gary, and I don't know really where Mr. Ballinger is from, but I can tell you that for a long time since I’ve been back here in Arkansas, I have feared for my son’s life. Now he's 27, he's out of Arkansas, and I thank God he is when you're bringing up crap like this. It offends me! And then to limit the debate, too? This is crazy!

You don't have to worry about your children, Will. I worry about my son. And I worry about other little Black boys and girls. And people coming into my neighborhood, into my city, saying they got open carry rights, walking down in front of my doggone office in front of the courthouse! That's a bully!

Do I have a right to stand my ground with some crazy ass person walking around with a doggone gun? I don't know what the hell he intends to do! But I know I am scared, I feel threatened, just like some of y'all walking around here up in the legislature with these damn guns! That -- what's his name -- [State Sen.] Garner came in here, walking around here with a damn gun under his coat. You can see the damn print!

[State Sen. Alan Clark] Sen. Flowers, you need to stop.

[State Sen. Stephanie Flowers] No I don't!

[State Sen. Alan Clark] Yes you do.

[State Sen. Stephanie Flowers] No, I don't! What the hell you gonna do? Shoot me?

[State Sen. Alan Clark] Senator.

[State Sen. Stephanie Flowers] Senator, shit! Go to hell! I'm telling you, this deserves more attention. You wanna come up here with all these little NRA bills, and bills that ALEC have, and all that stuff -- I'm talking about my son's life! And I'm talking about the lives of other Black kids! Do what the hell you wanna do. Go ahead! But you can't silence me. You got your damn silence gun out in the damn chamber today, but you are not gonna silence me! Because walking around with guns under your hip and under your cuff and you can see the imprint, it's frightening.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Slavery 2.0: Racist Cops and the Prison Industrial Complex