Library System Terrorizes Publishing Industry, by R. Bollin

Library System Terrorizes Publishing Industry, by R. Bollin

Postby admin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:28 am

Tom the Dancing Bug Presents: News of the Times: Library System Terrorizes Publishing Industry
by tomthedancingbug.com
twitter: @rubenbolling
© 2000 R. Bolling

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

TOM the DANCING BUG PRESENTS: NEWS OF THE TIMES: LIBRARY SYSTEM TERRORIZES PUBLISHING INDUSTRY

[Publisher's Voice] A book locating/lending phenomenon known as the "Dewey Decimal System" -- enabling users to get access to copyrighted text material for free -- has sent shockwaves through a panicked publishing industry.

[Publisher's Spokesman Brent Aullett] Why would anyone PAY for a book once it's accessible FOR FREE?!

[Publisher's Voice] The plan is as complex as it is diabolically clever. A "Library" buys books, users find them through Dewey's classification system, and borrow them for free! The inventor of the system is Melvil Dewey, a plucky 149-year-old who's been dead for 69 years, so his business plan is unclear. But he's got readers giddily borrowing books, to be consumed at leisure, and free of charge!

[Male Reader] Screw Updike! I'm beating the system!

[Female Reader] Power to the People!

[Narrator] Established writers like Tom Clancy have stopped producing their output.

[Tom Clancy] What's that you say? LIBRARIES? For FREE?! Denise, get me Ovitz! I'm packing it in!

[Publisher's Voice] Young writers have also given up. Brad McClatchen has ceased work on his collection of poems entitled "Of an Oleander, Recriminate."

[Brad McClatchen] Obviously, my dream of making millions through poetry is dust. I'm calling my brother about that tire sales job.

[Publisher's Voice] Publishers of course are suing, but they are not optimistic.

[Penguin Books] Mark my words: This "Dewey Decimal System" will be the death of literature!

[Publisher's Voice] Next: Shower-Singing Threatens Music Industry!

[Shower-Singer] I wanna know what love is ...
admin
Site Admin

Return to Publishers vs. Libraries, With EBooks as the Battleground and Ownership as the Prize