Spirit Cooking with Marina Abramovic

Re: Spirit Cooking with Marina Abramovic

Postby admin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:14 am

Marina Abramovic on Right-Wing Attacks: "It's Absolutely Outrageous and Ridiculous"
by Andrew Russeth
11/04/16

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

Just when it seemed this election could not get any more absurd, artist Marina Abramovic has been dragged into the mayhem.

Among the latest batch of emails released by Wikileaks, allegedly from the hacked account of John Podesta, the chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, is one from Abramovic, in which she invites Tony Podesta, a major art collector who is John’s brother, to “a Spirit Cooking dinner at my place,” and asks if John might want to join. Tony forwarded the email to his brother, which is how it ended up among the stolen emails.

Various right-wing websites seem to have done some cursory internet research on Abramovic over the past 12 hours, and they found a video of the artist painting with pigs’ blood in one of her Spirit Cooking (1997) performances, and they have gotten pretty riled up over the past 24 hours, even claiming that the artist is involved in Satanic rituals.

The Drudge Report led this morning with this headline: “WIKI WICCAN: PODESTA PRACTICES OCCULT MAGIC.” Infowars—run by the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones (the guy who recently said he’s heard that President Obama and Hillary Clinton smell of sulfur)—has linked Abramovic with Aleister Crowley and declared that the dinner included “black magic.” Danger & Play, the site run by Mike Cernovich, the alt-right commentator recently profiled by the New Yorker, has headlined its article, “Podesta emails reveal Clinton’s inner circle as sex cult with connections to human trafficking.”

“I’m outraged, because this is taken completely out of my context,” Abramovic told me by phone this afternoon. She was at Sean Kelly Gallery, her rep in New York. The dinner, she explained, was a reward for donors to a Kickstarter campaign she had run. Tony Podesta has collected her work since the 1990s, and he attended, but John couldn’t make it. In fact, she has never met John Podesta.

“It was just a normal dinner,” Abramovic said, adding that about 10 people attended. “It was actually just a normal menu, which I call spirit cooking. There was no blood, no anything else. We just call things funny names, that’s all.” (The Kickstarter page advertised “traditional soups.”)

Spirit Cooking, Abramovic explained, was a performance she staged at a number of museums around the world in the ‘90s, painting graffiti with pigs’ blood. She also made a limited-edition book, which contains various recipes. That book is in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, among other places.

And the Satanism charge? “Anybody who wants can read my memoirs and find out that [my work] is far away from Satanism,” she said. (The book was just released this week, she noted, and it’s doing well on Amazon.) “My work is really more about spirituality and not anything else,” she continued. “I’ve been doing my work for so long, and this is a misunderstanding.” She said of the right-wing attacks, “It’s absolutely outrageous and ridiculous.”

All things considered, Abramovic sounded in relatively good spirits—exasperated but maintaining a sense of humor about the whole thing. “I mean, this world is really turning to hell,” she said at one point, laughing. “I am completely amazed, something is taken out of context for the purpose of winning.”

“We are living in such a strange world,” she said.

Copyright 2016, Art Media ARTNEWS, llc. 110 Greene Street, 2nd Fl., New York, N.Y. 10012. All rights reserved.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:09 pm

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/44007

To: john.podesta@gmail.com
Date: 2015-09-25 14:33
Subject: TWEETS: #GlobalGoals
**Climate agreement tweets coming**

*TWEETS 9/25*

Applaud the global leaders & citizens who crafted the new #GlobalGoals. Let's work together to #EndPoverty & create a better world by 2030

Youth are at the center of the new #GlobalGoals. Excited to see what younger generations will achieve.

My favorite of the #GlobalGoals? No. 14— we must protect our oceans and life below water #SDGs

​--

Milia Fisher
Special Assistant to the Chair
Hillary for America
mfisher@hillaryclinton.com
c: 858.395.1741

Attachments:Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:05 pm

@AbramovicM666
by Marina Abramovic
Twitter

Marina Abramovic
@AbramovicM666
The Performanсе artist Marina Abramovic.

Joined August 2013

[DELETED] In reply to ___
Marina Abramovic ‏@AbramovicM666 Nov __
@ ___ because [I joined twitter when I was 66 years old]

In reply to ismet korkmaz
Marina Abramovic ‏@AbramovicM666 Nov 12
@KorkmazIsmet because 6 my lucky number

Marina Abramovic ‏@AbramovicM666 Nov 4
I'm not satanist!Stop it!

My friends, please stop twittering me with tag spiritcooking! Just enjoy art and stop asking me about politics.

Marina Abramovic Retweeted Fletcher Scott
Why not?Marina Abramovic added,

Fletcher Scott @funkmasterfletc
@AbramovicM666 so you tag your name with 666, interesting.

So my dear
‼️I NEVER CLIMB INTO POLITICS QUESTIONS!‼️
I am a woman-art but not social scientist.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:43 am

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/14333

HONDURAS: MAYBE, MAYBE

To: Hillary Clinton
Date: 2009-08-28 13:30
Subject: HONDURAS: MAYBE, MAYBE

UNCLASSIFIED U.S. Department of State Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05764911

Date: 07/31/2015 RELEASE IN PART B6
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:30PM
To: Subject: Fw: Honduras: Maybe, maybe

Fyi

To: Mills, Cheryl D; Abedin, Huma; Sullivan, Jacob 3 Cc: Smith, Daniel B; Macmanus, Joseph E
Sent: Sat Aug 29 16:53:56 2009
Subject: Fw: Honduras: Maybe, maybe

Attached is from Lew Amselem, our rep to OAS. He gives a readout of his conversation today with Arias Accord negotiator Jon Biehl. Some nice comments about S from Biehi and Arias. I will forward another note from Hugo Llorens with similar message. Best, ck

To: Task Force Honduras; Otero, Maria
Sent: Sat Aug 29 13:54:22 2009
Subject: Honduras: Maybe, maybe

To: Amselem, W Lewis
Sent: Sat Aug 29 13:51:00 2009
Subject: Biehi called a little after 1:30 pm to say the meeting with the de facto envoys had been abruptly cancelled -- but for perhaps a positive reason.

Micheletti has asked about half the team to return to Tegucigalpa (Corrales stayed, as "he seeks to confirm that he will not lose his visa"). In the phone call he got from the de facto envoys as they headed for the airport, Biehl said he detected a positive attitude. The envoys seemed confident they would get M to sign the SJ Accord. The envoys prmoised to call Biehi late this afternoon with the news from Honduras. If, if, if, if, the news is positive, Biehl and OAS Political Director Victor Rico will leave for Tegucigalpa tomorrow morning to meet Micheletti, make sure this is not another time-wasting tactic, and get something in writing from him that he agrees to the Accord and will sign it.

Just before speaking to me, Biehl had spoken with Arias who expressed cautious optimisim that we might have a break-through. Arias told Biehl to tell us, that if that happens the United States gets the credit.

Arias said the US has played the game exactly right, with the appropriate mix of carrots, sticks, toughness, unified message, even-handedness and, above all, good timing. Arias said the Europeans have been calling him over the past two days, and have fallen into line with the US; the Swedes, as head of the EU, and have told him that they will take their cue from the US and will support US actions. Arias, Biehi said, was extremely complimentary of the "great political instincts shown by Secretary Clinton."

-1-4n

UNCLASSIFIED U.S. Department of State Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05764911 Date: 07/31/2015

With fingers crossed, the old rabbit's foot out of the box in the attic, I will be sacrificing a chicken in the backyard to Moloch . . . Tri  
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Wikileaks