C. G. JUNG: LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD, by Colin Wilson

That's French for "the ancient system," as in the ancient system of feudal privileges and the exercise of autocratic power over the peasants. The ancien regime never goes away, like vampires and dinosaur bones they are always hidden in the earth, exercising a mysterious influence. It is not paranoia to believe that the elites scheme against the common man. Inform yourself about their schemes here.

Re: C. G. JUNG: LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD, by Colin Wilson

Postby admin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:46 am

Chapter 7: Doubts and Reservations

While I have attempted to refrain from critical comment on Jung's ideas and attitude, it has probably become plain in the course of this book that I have a number of reservations about him. Anthony Storr confesses in the postscript to his own book on Jung: 'It is easy to lose patience with Jung, as I have myself at times'. He goes on to find fault with Jung's preoccupation with the occult, but says that he finds a great deal in Jung's psychology 'profoundly valuable'. I personally have no quarrel whatever with Jung's occultism, since it was all based on personal experience; but I feel extremely dubious about some of his purely psychological theories.

To describe Jung as a romantic is not, of course, in itself a criticism. A romantic is basically a person who feels that the world is full of hidden meanings -- that discovery and adventure lie around every corner. This seems to me a broader, and therefore truer, attitude than that of the pessimist who feels that human life is short, brutal and pointless. The romantic recognizes that the problem lies in our own limitations, in the narrowness of our senses. So when a romantic also happens to be a realist, he is likely to devote a great deal of his life to a search for meaning -- which is synonymous with self-transformation. Jung was such a person; the result is a remarkable body of work that can bear comparison with the oeuvre of any of the major figures of the nineteenth century.

But when a romantic denies strenuously that he is a romantic, the result is likely to be certain inner contradictions. Hegel, for example, tries to present his 'system' as if it sprang out of pure reason and logic; so he flings up a dense verbal smokescreen to make it sound academically respectable. Jung is seldom as obscure as Hegel, but the parallel holds good. Whenever he wishes to speak about something that touches his deepest convictions, he clears his throat and says: 'Speaking purely as a psychologist ... ' Storr points out that Freud has a great advantage over Jung because he writes so clearly and simply, as if he has nothing to hide. By comparison, Jung often seems to be trying to blind the reader with science.

Let us look more closely at Jung's development of the idea of the unconscious.

We have seen that, in the modern sense of the word, the notion was virtually invented by Freud. Freud had been studying with Charcot in Paris, and observed Charcot's remarkable demonstration of hypnosis. A person under hypnosis could be told, for example, that ten minutes after awakening, he would remove one of his shoes and place it on the table. In due course he would do this; and if asked why he had done it, would give some perfectly reasonable explanation. Clearly, the subject of the experiment was two persons, one of whom knew nothing about the other. And this could explain how a patient like the famous 'Anna O' could break off a conversation, climb a tree, come down again, and look astonished if the doctor asked her why she had climbed the tree, having no memory of her action. Freud concluded that the unconscious mind is far more powerful than the conscious mind, and that we are always doing things without really understanding their true motivations. Observation of his patients' 'transferences' to himself convinced Freud that the hidden motive is always sex. In Vienna around 1900, when sex was something respectable people never mentioned, this seemed highly plausible.

The problem with Freud's vision of man is that it is essentially passive. We are mere puppets in the hands of our unconscious minds. The surface of the mind may look calm enough, like a peaceful stretch of countryside with farms and orchards; under the surface there are tremendous forces that can produce earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

Jung accepted this notion without question. But he was a romantic optimist by temperament, a man who regarded the universe as an exciting mystery into which, with luck, the poet and the scientist can obtain a few basic insights. So his line of attack on Freudian pessimism and 'reductionism' would have to begin from the notion that the mysterious underground forces are not as dangerous and menacing as Freud believed. He was the son of a clergyman, and his interest in St. Augustine and the early Church Fathers reveals that he believed that the experience of God and religion could not be reduced to disguised sexual impulses. He was a lover of literature, and he certainly did not believe that the states of mind induced by poetry are mere 'escapism'. His problem was to rescue these from Freud. We have seen that it was his reading of a book on mythology that gave him the idea of how this could be done. He invented a still deeper layer of the unconscious, containing the basic myths of mankind. To modern ears, this does not sound implausible. We know, for example, that certain finches were bred for generations on the Galapagos Islands, where they never saw a predator. But when their descendants were taken back to California, they reacted with instant alarm at the sight of a hawk. Obviously, the image of a hawk was somehow encoded in their genes -- or, as Jung would say, in the collective unconscious of the finch species. So why not similar images of heroes, gods, demons and so on in the human mind? The answer is: because it is hard to see any need for them. It mattered to the finch's survival to recognize a hawk. It is hard to see what difference it could make to a human being to think that the wind comes from a tube that hangs down from the sun ...

This is not, of course, to flatly deny Jung's idea of the archetypes. They may well be a reality. But we should understand clearly how Jung came to decide they existed. He had accepted the Freudian view of the unconscious as a vast and mysterious underground realm. So it was natural for him to extend the image, and to imagine descending deeper still, to depths on which he could stake his claim. It is significant that so many of Jung's dreams, from the childhood dream of the phallus on the throne, involve descending into a kind of underworld. And from Jung's 'discovery' of the collective unconscious, his life-task was clear and obvious: to try to map out something of its geography, and to try to find proofs of its existence in mythology and religion. Alchemy was ideal for his purpose, for its baffling documents can be interpreted like dreams. Jung believed that he was proceeding scientifically, but most Freudians remain convinced that he was inventing his own underground realm, rather as Tolkien invented Middle Earth. There is at least an element of truth in this view.

Now before Freud, the picture of the human psyche was simpler. The view implicit in the work of Janet, for example, is that a human being could be compared to an automobile, whose ego is the driver, and whose 'mind' is the engine hidden under the bonnet. But the fact that it is 'hidden' does not make it 'unconscious'. It is at most 'subconscious' -- lying just below consciousness. And just as a driver can find out a great deal about the engine by raising the bonnet, or simply observing closely what happens when he brakes, accelerates and changes gear, so human beings can learn a great deal about the workings of their own minds by introspection.

Of course, there are certain parts of the mind that could be called 'unconscious'. My brain contains every memory I have accumulated since birth, and this library is so enormous that we could never hope to bring it all back to consciousness. But there is nothing particularly mysterious about memory. I might, for example, go into a physics laboratory, and be shown the computer in which all the data of all past experiments is stored. I would not call this the 'unconscious mind' of the laboratory. And if there was another computer containing the results of experiments from all over the world, I would certainly not call it the collective unconscious. They are only computers.

How does neurosis arise? From childhood on, we are subjected to all kinds of fears and dangers. Some are real, some we imagine or exaggerate. Someone might tell me a shocking story about cruelty that engenders a permanently 'nasty feeling' about old houses or overgrown gardens. A bold, cheerful person will explore the world and realize that many of the fears were unwarranted. A timid, shy person may go through life with many childish fears and anxieties still unexorcized. He (or she) will be more likely to become subject to neurosis than the bolder spirit.

According to Janet, the basic condition for neurosis is the abaissement du niveau mental, or lowering of the mind threshold -- a phrase, incidentally, that Jung used throughout his life (so often, indeed, that there is a long entry devoted to it in the index of his collected works). We may recall that Janet believed psychological health to be a matter of 'psychological tension', a sense of motivation and purpose. If this is lowered, by boredom or illness or depression, it constitutes an abaissement du niveau mental, and the person may become a prey to fears and anxieties that would have seemed absurd when he felt healthier. We experience a lowering of our mental threshold during the night, and we are all familiar with the experience of waking in the early hours of the morning and beginning to worry about all kinds of things. This is a simple model of Janet's view of how neurosis works. Then there are further stages -- a narrowing of attention, which leads to a sense of monotony and a still further lowering of the mental threshold. There is a 'vicious circle' effect.

Fundamentally, our problem as living creatures is to adjust to life, and, if possible, to 'get on top of it'. We do this when we have a sense of purpose and motivation. The mind seems to possess an aspect that could be compared to a powerful spring, or to the string of a crossbow. When I am faced with some exciting challenge, I create mental energy by compressing the spring -- or, to use the other image, by pulling back the string of the crossbow. In this battle to 'get on top' of experience, my most valuable weapon is knowledge, particularly self-knowledge. A child is far more vulnerable than an adult because the child's knowledge of the world is so much smaller, and he can easily be intimidated by tales of danger and disaster.

Consider a case recounted by Jung in the fourth chapter of Psychology of the Unconscious. A highly successful American businessman had worked his way up from the bottom, with the result that he was rich enough to retire at 45. But in spite of a marvellous estate and every possible form of amusement, he began to feel at a loose end. He became a hypochondriac and a nervous wreck. He consulted a psychiatrist, who recognized that the problem was lack of work, and recommended him to return to business. The man obeyed, but found to his dismay that business now bored him. When he consulted Jung, he was a 'hopeless moral ruin'. Jung felt he could do nothing for him. 'A case so far advanced can only be cared for until death; it can hardly be cured.'

Jung interpreted this case in terms of 'enantiodromia' -- a powerful emotion turning into its opposite, like St. Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus. There were also traces, he said, of a mother fixation.

But Janet's theory provides a simpler and rather more satisfactory interpretation of the case. The businessman's psychological tension -- and his sense of being 'on top of' his experience -- was connected with his sense of purpose -- of becoming successful. When he became successful and retired, his purpose vanished and his psychological tension collapsed. There was a lowering of the mental threshold. He was suddenly the victim rather than the master of his experience. Like a man lying awake in the middle of the night, he became subject to all kinds of absurd worries; and, never having had to keep himself amused -- his career had always done it for him -- he slipped into a vicious circle of self-pity and discouragement. Going back to work was no answer, for he had worked to be successful, and he was successful. Besides, with his lowered mental threshold, work would be disagreeable -- like an invalid trying to plunge into cold water.

The theoretical solution of the problem would have been to utilize those characteristics of intelligence and ambition that had made him successful. If he could have been made to understand what had happened -- as Janet could have made him understand -- he would have realized that his salvation lay in breaking the vicious circle and seeking until he found one single subject or occupation that could arouse his interest. Above all, he would have to be made conscious that this was a problem that could be solved -- like a bad cold or a headache -- for raising the mental threshold depends on striking a spark of optimism, a conviction that something can be done. Jung's explanations about enantiodromia must have left him confused, bewildered and depressed -- as Freud's explanations about his mother fixation and Oedipus complex would also have done. By approaching the problem with an unnecessarily complicated explanation -- one that was, so to speak, too clever by a half -- Jung had lost all chance of curing the patient.

The same unnecessarily complicated approach can be seen in another of Jung's cases. A teenage girl of good family had fallen into a state of schizophrenia, refusing even to speak. When Jung finally coaxed her into speaking, he discovered that she lived constantly in a fantasy that she was on the moon. It was her task to protect the moon people from a vampire covered in feathers; but when she tried to attack the vampire, he threw off the feathers and revealed himself as a handsome man with whom she fell in love ...

Jung discovered that the girl had been seduced by her brother at the age of fifteen, and had later been sexually assaulted by a schoolmate -- presumably a lesbian. His own explanation was that incest has always been a royal prerogative, and the girl's collective unconscious knew this. So she retreated to the moon -- 'the mythic realm' -- and became alienated from the real world.

Jung tells us that he eventually convinced her that she had to leave the moon and return to earth. At her first attempt to abandon her fantasy world she had a relapse; but she became 'resigned to her fate', and eventually married and had children.

Here again, Janet's explanation would be simple. The incest (which she presumably permitted) filled her with a sense of guilt that made her blush whenever she had to look her parents or teachers in the eyes. The sexual assault by the schoolmate increased her sense that sex is frightening and disgusting, something to be regretted. An adolescent has enough problems of adjustment to physical changes without being burdened with fear and guilt. The girl was clearly of an introverted and imaginative disposition -- the kind who prefers reading or fantasizing to becoming involved in the real world. There was a lowering of the mental threshold, a vicious circle effect of fear and mistrust, and a loss of psychological tension. Her 'reality function' (another Janet concept) became enfeebled until she had no desire for contact with the real world, and retreated into a vivid fantasy. The story of the beautiful vampire reveals that her attitude to sex was by no means wholly negative; it strongly attracted as well as frightened her.

Here the cure was satisfactory because she happened to be female, and Jung could utilize the phenomenon of transference: a handsome young doctor trying to persuade her to return to earth. But the theories about incest and royalty and the mythic realm were totally irrelevant; they did not help Jung to solve the case, and add nothing to our understanding of it. They excite a definite feeling of 'sales resistance' in the reader -- that Jung was determined to drag in his mythic theories whether they fitted or not. This could explain why a surprising number of Jung's cases -- like the businessman, and Sir. Montague Norman -- ended in failure.

In fact, if psychology means understanding the mechanisms of the mind -- what Gurdjieff meant by 'understanding the machine' -- then Jung was not a particularly good psychologist. With his eyes fixed on his sonar gauges, looking for signs of what is going on in the black depths, he overlooks more straightforward mechanisms of neurosis. 'Enantiodromia', for example, seems to be an attempt to characterize what the Viennese psychiatrist Viktor Frankl later identified as 'the law of reverse effort' -- the fact that when we are anxious to do something well, we do it badly. (Frankl's original insight came when he heard about a school play in which a boy who stuttered badly was chosen to play the part of a stutterer -- and found that he spoke quite normally on stage.) But instead of recognizing its universal application, Jung has turned it into some deep psychic resistance that drives us to do the opposite of what we consciously desire: an altogether rarer phenomenon. The law of reverse effort affects all of us a dozen times a day because -- as Thomson Jay Hudson recognized -- we contain two people, and we are at our best when each one plays his own role, and does not interfere with the other. Consider a simple conundrum like: 'Brothers and sisters have I none, but this man's father is my father's son.' Some people find it impossible to work it out because the two people inside them get in one another's way and interfere with one another's efforts. As I write this page, one of the two persons inside me provides the 'insights', the other turns them into words, like a bricklayer and his assistant. If I am too anxious about the result, I strangle the insight. If I am too relaxed and confident, I may devote far too many words to some particular point. The two must try to fall into a comfortable rhythm that suits them both.

But their degree of cooperation depends on another factor. All creatures are partly mechanical; certain functions have been taken over by a kind of robot or automatic pilot. This robot not only drives my car; he arranges the words in my sentences. As a servant, he is indispensable. But if I go for a walk with my dogs, he becomes an unwelcome guest, for I would like to relax and enjoy the scenery, and my robot is still 'driving' me as he drives my car. The more complex my life is, the more efficient my robot needs to become, and the more difficult it is to persuade him to go off duty and allow me to appreciate things simply and directly. Modern man's reliance on alcohol, tobacco and drugs is an attempt to counteract the robot.

When we relax, we experience a sense of reality; we actually hear the birds and notice the trees. What the robot undermines is our reality function. So a modern city is full of people who have paid for their efficiency -- their ability to survive -- with an enfeebled sense of reality. Jung experienced this very clearly when he went to Africa and India, and his own robot realized it could relax its vigilance. But Jung's eyes were too fixed on the mythological archetypes to observe such a simple and obvious explanation for his sense of freedom and intensified reality.

In this situation, modern man finds it easy to slip into neurosis. Mental health depends upon the sense of reality, a constant 'feedback' between the mind and the environment. In this sense, we are like those small bivalves who live by sucking in water and shooting it out again. But, unlike the motion of the heart, this is not an automatic function. As soon as we grow tired or bored, we switch off the pump -- and then wonder why we begin to experience a sense of suffocation. Modern man is continually slipping into this state of non-interaction, which results in a drop in vital energy. This in turn makes him feel that 'nothing is worth the effort', so he leaves the pump switched off. It is, in effect, as if he had forgotten to breathe. Then if problems arise that seem insoluble, he may experience a collapse of the will to live. Neurosis is a damaged will to live. Psychosis is the mind's attempt to compensate for the damaged will to live by providing an 'alternative reality'.

Now we can begin to see that both Freud and Jung had grasped this fundamental insight: that man has 'two selves', and that it is failure of cooperation between the two that causes mental illness. Freud's insight, like Hudson's, sprang from the observation of hypnosis, and the recognition that, when the ego is put to sleep, a non-ego can take over. Hudson called this non-ego 'the subjective mind', and recognized that its powers are far greater than those of the 'objective mind'. Freud called it the unconscious; but he failed to grasp -- what Hudson understood so well -- that in the last analysis, the objective mind is the 'boss'. It is the part of us that recognizes values, that generates a sense of purpose, that sees what has to be done, and which sends a message down to the subjective mind demanding energy. (The subjective mind is in charge of our energy supply -- what the playwright Granville Barker called 'the secret life'.) It is its vigilance, its enthusiasm and determination, that govern our mental health. Whenever we are hurled into purposeful activity, we recognize this clearly. (This is why the philosopher Fichte remarked that man only knows himself in action.) Unfortunately, man spends so much of his time in passivity, or in repetitious acts, that he finds it easy to forget this insight.

Because Freud took it for granted that the objective mind has no power at all, his psychology was essentially negative and pessimistic in character. Neurosis was due to unconscious sexual repression, and the only way to cure the neurosis was for the analyst to uncover the repression and drag it into the light of consciousness. The patient was not in any way encouraged to take a positive attitude towards his problems. The result was that many of Freud's cases dragged on for years, and ended without a cure (for example, the famous 'Wolf man').

Jung felt instinctively that Freud's negative and passive view of the unconscious was wrong. He cured his 'vampire' lady by telling her that she had to come down to earth and stop longing for the moon. He also recognized that Janet had grasped the basic cause of neurosis in his 'lowering of the mental threshold'. But for an ambitious young psychiatrist, the embattled Freud was a far more interesting figure to support than the well-established, middle-aged Janet. So Jung found himself committed to Freud's view of the 'second self' as an unfathomable ocean or some vast underground kingdom. This was certainly a more exciting view than Janet's; besides, Jung saw himself inheriting Freud's position and becoming the lord of this romantic and sinister underworld.

The quarrel with Freud and Jung's own sense of guilt produced tremendous psychological tensions. When psychological tensions persist for too long, the result is exhaustion, and the normal distinction between dreams and waking consciousness disappears. Jung experienced the mythological visions -- Siegfried, Salome, Philemon -- that convinced him that his own interpretation of the unconscious was correct after all. It also meant that he created a psychological theory of 'projections' to explain religion, alchemy, flying saucers and anything else that puzzled him. In fact, it failed to explain the first case he ever encountered -- his cousin Helly's multiple personality. But he dismissed the problem by assuming she was merely a fantasist and a liar. Later, when he encountered genuine mediumship (in Rudi Schneider) and recognized that ghosts are not necessarily 'projections', he took care not to revise his views on Helly Preiswerk.

If, in fact, we recognize Jung's 'confrontation with the unconscious' as a highly abnormal state, in which his 'second self' came to his aid with the reassurance he needed, his theory of projections appears rather more questionable. There is no conceivable reason to believe that hundreds of alchemists, from ancient Greece and China to medieval Europe, all experienced visions that explain their strange images and terminology. It is far more probable that the alchemists were working within a magical tradition (and magic and science were identical in the past) and using its language and images. Jung's essays on Paracelsus show that he was aware that he was dealing with an alien intellectual tradition; but his determination to use it to prove his theory of archetypes and projections made him incapable of entering into its spirit.

The case of the flying saucers offers a more straightforward example of the problem. The possibility that most UFO sightings are 'visions' is obviously remote. Some may be downright lies, some wishful thinking, some honest mistakes; but there remain a number -- when a whole planeload of passengers have seen the craft -- where none of these explanations will fit. Jung's 'projection' theory is far less likely than the notion that the witness saw something -- whether an experimental aircraft, a messenger from another planet, or a visitor from another dimension. But the projection theory happened to fit in with his theory of archetypes and unconscious religious cravings. So the facts could be ignored. His book on UFOs is virtually propaganda for his archetype theory, designed to reach a new and vast audience. From the interview with Lindbergh it is clear that either Jung himself did not believe his own theory, or that he had changed his mind since he wrote the book. In any case, he kept his views a secret. Lindbergh seems to have sensed this when he remarked on the element of charlatanism in Jung.

I have pointed out in the Introduction that Jung's views on the paranormal also contain this element of 'doublethink'. The essay on 'The Psychological Foundations of Belief in Spirits' interprets them as 'autonomous complexes'. His own experience of the haunted cottage, as well as his seances with Rudi Schneider, must have made him aware that this was simply inadequate as an explanation. (Anyone who wishes to gain an idea of what happened with Schneider should read Thomas Mann's essay 'An Experience with the Occult'. [1] (In a cautious postscript to this essay written in 1948, he tried to qualify his arguments. He had 'confined himself wholly to the psychological side of the problem, and purposely avoided the question of whether spirits exist'. He goes on to tell a lie: that he has had no experience that might prove it one way or the other. The preface to Fanny Moser's book on ghosts reveals that he accepted his experience in the cottage as a genuine haunting: when he learned that the owner had been forced to demolish the cottage 'it gave me considerable satisfaction after my colleague had laughed so loudly at my fear of ghosts'. But this introduction was not printed beside the essay 'On the Psychological Foundations of Belief in Spirits' in Volume Eight of the Collected Works -- where the contradiction would be obvious -- but in the 'miscellaneous' Volume Eighteen.

The important question is obviously: How far do these inconsistencies undermine Jung's total achievement? And this can only be answered in the broader perspective of what he was trying to do -- and not, it must be emphasized, what he wanted his colleagues to believe he was trying to do.

Jung had the temperament to be an artist, a poet or a theologian. If his father had been rich he might, like the Mann brothers, have spent a year or so in Italy, deciding what he wanted to do. As it was he was forced to choose medicine -- far too rigid a discipline for a person of Jung's originality and ambition. Like the young Americans addressed by Horace Greely, ('Go West, young man'), his real desire was to find virgin territory and adventure; but Europe had no Wild West, and Jung chose psychiatry instead.

There is some significance in Jung's belief -- or his occasional claim -- that he was a descendant of Goethe. He was completely out of sympathy with the narrow materialism of nineteenth-century science. In retrospect, it seems a pity he became a Freudian, since it meant he based his life work on Freud's premises about the unconscious. Yet it has to be admitted that, as a follower of Janet, he might not have achieved such remarkable results. In an essay on Wagner, Thomas Mann quoted a dignitary of Seville cathedral, who is supposed to have said to the architect: 'Build me a cathedral so enormous that people of the future will say: the chapter must have been mad to build anything so huge ... ' Mann pointed out that the nineteenth century was full of this spirit of heroic giganticism: Balzac's Human Comedy, Hegel's System, Zola's Rougon Macquart cycle, Wagner's Ring, Tolstoy's War and Peace. Jung's sympathy was all with heroic giganticism. His psychology is built of the same mythological material as Wagner's Ring.

His central insight was the same as Hudson's: that the immense powers of the 'subjective mind' can be utilized for positive as well as negative purposes. Although he insisted that his interest in religion was purely 'psychological' (an assertion that seems absurd in the light of Answer to Job), the basic assumption of his work was identical with that of all the major religions: that the universe is full of meaning, that we are surrounded by unseen powers and forces, and that man can rise above the 'triviality of everydayness' by trying to open his mind and his senses to these meanings and forces.

Freud's negative vision of the unconscious invalidates much of his work; it seems conceivable that, in the future, his psychology will be regarded merely as an intellectual curiosity, like the phlogiston theory of combustion, or Hoerbiger's belief that the moon is a huge lump of ice. Most psychologists would now agree that the sexual theory cannot be regarded as 'scientifically proven'. Jung's archetypes and collective unconscious are in the same dubious position. But Jung's vision of the unconscious is of an enormous wellspring of vital forces. The author of a recent book about him [2] has pointed out the similarities between Jung and Abraham Maslow, whose psychology is based on the notion of 'higher reaches of human nature', and who was more interested in the 'peak experience' -- the sense of sudden affirmation -- than in neurosis. There can be no doubt that Jung's weltanschauung is pervaded by an enormous sense of optimism, of the possibilities of human evolution.

His central concept is, of course, individuation, meaning 'undividedness'. In Answer to Job he has the important comment: 'the more consciousness a man possesses the more he is separated from his instincts (which at least give him an inkling of the hidden wisdom of God) and the more prone he is to error.' Man's problem is that, in the course of evolving consciousness, he has become divided from his unconscious, which contains inklings of the purposes and aims of God. The answer is for consciousness to attempt to achieve contact with the unconscious -- in fact, ideally, to have free access to it. Jung discovered at an early stage that the practice of meditation is one way of achieving contact, and the experience of Africa showed him that man can 'relax into' his unconscious by recognizing the 'dark' side of his nature.

Yet although Jung was attempting to create a dynamic and positive vision of the psyche to replace Freud's passive and negative model, his Freudian training made it difficult for him to emphasize the notion of conscious effort. Towards the end of his life, he was asked by E. H. Philp: 'Is it possible that you depreciate consciousness through an overvaluation of the unconscious?', and replied decisively: 'I have never had any tendency to depreciate consciousness by insisting upon the importance of the unconscious. If such a tendency is attributed to me, it is due to a sort of optical illusion.' Readers of Symbols of Transformation, or even of Aion, must have shaken their heads in startled disbelief. But at least Jung goes on to reveal how far he has come to recognize the importance of consciousness -- and therefore, by implication, of its power of making decisions. 'As a matter of fact the emphasis lies on consciousness as the conditio sine qua non of apperception of unconscious contents, and the supreme arbiter (my italics) in the chaos of unconscious possibilities. My book about Types is a careful study of the empirical structure of consciousness. If we had an inferior consciousness, we should all be crazy. The ego and ego-consciousness are of paramount importance.'

But more than a quarter of a century earlier, in his Commentary on The Secret of the Golden Flower, Jung had written: 'Now and then it happened in my practice that a patient grew beyond himself because of unknown potentialities ... What did these people do in order to bring about the development that set them free? As far as I could see they did nothing (wu wei) but let things happen.' Again, in the second of the Two Essays on Analytical Psychology (Volume Seven of the Collected Works) there is a chapter dealing with individuation in which Jung identifies it with self-realization. But it is clear that he sees self-realization as springing from the unconscious. He speaks, for example, of lazy people who have ended as neurotics, and says: 'Thanks to the neurosis contrived by the unconscious, they are shaken out of their apathy ... ' A paragraph further on he writes: 'Since it is highly probable that we are still a long way from the summit of absolute consciousness, presumably everyone is capable of wider consciousness, and we may assume accordingly that the unconscious processes are constantly supplying us with contents which, if consciously recognized, would extend the range of consciousness.'

This makes it quite clear that for Jung, the work of individuation -- self-realization -- consists basically in 'listening to' the unconscious, which is trying to push us towards self-realization. So in place of Freud's negative unconscious, which causes so many neuroses, we have a positive unconscious trying to work out our salvation. It is an agreeable notion; but Hudson could have told Jung that he was overestimating the subjective mind. The subjective mind may be far more powerful than its objective counterpart, but in this particular marriage, it is the passive partner. It will place its enormous powers and energies at the disposal of the objective mind -- if the objective mind demands them with enough authority -- but will seldom take the initiative. Hypnosis is so successful because the subjective mind is glad to obey the authoritative voice of the hypnotist. It would obey the objective mind just as readily, if the order was delivered with enough conviction. But most people are possessed by the misapprehension that the ego is supposed to be passive, that their business is to suffer and accept experience rather than initiate it. We might compare the two to a husband and wife team in which the wife has tremendous untapped energies and potentialities. But she is married to a feeble and passive husband. And she has been brought up to believe that the woman is supposed to be docile and obedient. So because the husband never calls upon her untapped resources, she fails to achieve any kind of self-realization. The answer is not for the wife to leave the husband or try to 'do her own thing', but for the husband to recognize that if he can galvanize himself out of his feebleness and laziness, they can transform both their lives.

Let us look more closely at this concept of individuation. Why does Jung regard it as a passive process? Because he sees it as a flow from the unconscious to the conscious. It has to be that way around because the conscious, has, so to speak, no way of clambering down a ladder into the unconscious. And this seems to be one of the fundamental problems. Jung's answer to it consists in creating the right conditions (as Africa and India created them for him), or (in the case of patients) in trying to tease the problems out of the unconscious by the usual methods of psychoanalysis. The therapist is, so to speak, the midwife to the unconscious.

We can clarify the issue if, instead of speaking of the conscious and unconscious, we revert to Hudson's terminology of the objective and subjective mind -- or of the left and right cerebral hemispheres, which seem to bear such a close relation to them. When Sperry was doing his early experiments in split-brain physiology, he discovered that an animal with a split brain cannot pass on something it has just learned to the other half of the brain -- so a split-brain cat that had been taught to press a lever to get food with one eye covered up could not do the same trick with the other eye covered. The purpose of the commissure between the two halves is to pass on such information to the other half of the brain. So there is a mechanism for communication -- for what Jung called the individuation process.

But it is such an inefficient mechanism that, for all practical purposes, we are all split-brain patients. In Biographia Literaria, Coleridge cites a remarkable case of an ignorant servant girl who began speaking Hebrew when she was in delirium. Eventually it was discovered that, as a small girl, she had lived in the house of a clergyman who went around reciting the Bible in Hebrew. Consciously she had never picked up a word of the language; but her subjective mind had stored up everything she had overheard.

So the subjective mind contains everything we have ever seen, heard and experienced. And it will, under certain circumstances, provide us with the information we require. I try to remember a name or a tune without success. I stop trying, and suddenly it 'walks into my head' -- that is, into my objective mind, sent there by the subjective mind. I tell myself I must wake at half past six in the morning, but I have no alarm clock; my subjective mind shakes me awake at precisely six-thirty.

Moreover, when my objective mind is sent to sleep by a hypnotist, my subjective mind will provide all kinds of information on request. It merely needs to be asked properly.

It has another interesting trick. A tune or a smell or a few words can suddenly bring back some fragment of my past with tremendous vividness, so for a moment I am back in the 'den' made of branches I constructed when I was eight, or the school changing room when I was twelve. Proust based his enormous novel on such 'flashes' -- glimpses of the past. In my book The Occult I used the term 'Faculty X' for this ability to conjure up the reality of some other time and place. What Jung means by individuation is closely related to Faculty X.

Is it -- to rephrase the question -- possible to induce flashes of Faculty X, or do we have to wait patiently until they burst upon us? Maslow raised a similar question when he asked whether it is possible to induce the 'peak experience'; he decided that the answer was No: we have to wait for it to happen.

But consider more closely the mechanism of such experiences. In The Idiot, Dostoevsky describes the feelings of a man in front of a firing squad. He is fascinated by a gilded steeple glittering in the sunlight, and feels that in a few moments he will be one with the rays of light. He wonders what would happen if he were reprieved (as, in fact, he is), and thinks 'What an eternity of days, and all mine! How I should grudge and count up every minute of it, so as not to waste a single instant.' The murderer Raskolnikov has a similar insight in Crime and Punishment, when he reflects that he would rather stand on a narrow ledge for ever, in eternal darkness and tempest, than be condemned to die at once.

Crisis makes human beings suddenly aware of what consciousness is for. Its purpose is to control our lives. About to be deprived of it, the prisoner feels that if only he could be reprieved, he would never again waste a single instant.

This enables us to grasp precisely what is wrong with man at this stage in his evolution. We waste consciousness by drifting passively through life. Civilization has separated us from our deep, instinctive will to live, eroded our 'reality function'. As Jung recognized, man has developed too fast, and consciousness has drifted too far from the deep knowledge of the unconscious. So, like an army whose baggage train has fallen too far behind, we are highly vulnerable.

The problem, quite simply, is that consciousness is still too feeble. Crises and problems galvanize us into a sense of values, and make us recognize how hard we ought to be struggling. But the moment the crisis is behind us, we forget this insight, and drift back into a vague state of non-expectation, 'living in the present' and allowing all our vital energy, our psychological tension, to drain away. Molehills turn into mountains. This is why modern man is so prone to neurosis. His ego becomes 'hypnotized' by the trivialities of the present and his vital 'threshold' sinks. In this state he becomes convinced that he is weak and helpless -- although, in fact, he possesses enormous strength, which would respond to the first sign of crisis.

William James had recognized the problem when he wrote that what modern man needs to find is the 'moral equivalent of war'. And in an essay 'The Energies of Man' he stated the problem with unparalleled clarity:

Compared to what we ought to be, we are only half awake. Our fires are damped, our drafts are checked. We are making use of only a small part of our possible mental and physical resources. In some persons this sense of being cut off from their rightful resources is extreme, and we then get the formidable neurasthenic and psychasthenic conditions, with life grown into one tissue of impossibilities, that so many medical books describe.

Stating the thing broadly, the human individual thus lives usually far within his limits; he possesses powers of various sorts which he habitually fails to use. He energises below his maximum, and he behaves below his optimum.

How can man escape this trap, and release his 'vital reserves'? James's answer is that 'the normal opener of deeper and deeper levels of energy is the will'. 'Excitements, ideas and efforts, in a word, are what carry us over the dam.' Yet James had to admit that he could not actually suggest a 'moral equivalent of war' that would galvanize all men to energize to their maximum.

We could say that Jung picked up the problem where James left off. He also began from the recognition that man contains immense depths of power of which he is normally unaware. And his own solution to the problem was to spend his life directing attention to these depths. He turned his back on his Freudian training, and presented a new and vital image of the psyche. His aim, we could say, was to direct man's attention inward. The philosopher David Hume protested that when he turned his gaze inward, he only perceived ideas and emotions, a 'stream of consciousness' flowing endlessly and automatically. Jung's reply, in effect, is: 'Look deeper still'. Strain the eyes into that realm of dreams and symbols until they become used to the darkness. Gradually, the conscious ego will become aware that it has a far more powerful partner, that it is not alone. Man will begin to catch glimpses of his own strength. The process of individuation will begin, like an alchemical transformation. What will eventually emerge is the philosopher's stone.

Let us raise the question that Jung leaves unexplored: what would it be like to experience individuation? What would it be like if the conscious mind had unlimited access to the unconscious -- if the objective mind could explore the subjective mind at will?

It would mean, to begin with, that the enormous powers of the subjective mind would become accessible to the ego. It contains, for example, all the memories of a lifetime. Because consciousness is so narrow, we are trapped in a tiny prison cell of the present. So our view of ourselves is also narrow and limited. When Proust's hero tasted the cake dipped in tea, he said: 'I had ceased to feel mediocre, accidental, mortal.' Faust, on the point of suicide, is recalled to life by the Easter bells, and remembers how, in childhood,

An unbelievably sweet yearning
Drove me to roam through wood and lea,
Crying, and as my eyes were burning,
I felt a new world grow in me.

What we glimpse in such moments is that if consciousness could move beyond its normal limitations, we could easily experience a kind of chain reaction into mystical ecstasy. The delight, the sense of meaning, of other realities, other times and places, releases an immense surge of optimism and purpose. This in turn is enough to raise us permanently to a higher level of vital drive and determination -- for, like a man who has glimpsed heaven, nothing less can now ever satisfy us.

Then there are the other powers of the subjective mind: its apparently paranormal powers, its powers to heal and renew the body, its ability to induce synchronicities, its fathomless creative powers. All these, it seems, are there for the asking, if only we could start the chain reaction by some immense effort of will and optimism -- or, as Jung suggests, by inducing the unconscious to make the effort.

This is the essence of Jung's vision, his glimpse of the philosopher's stone. It is, of course, necessary to recognize that Jung himself failed to achieved the philosopher's stone, and that this was probably because his life was a little too comfortable, and because he became a little too accustomed to getting his own way. We might say that the crucible never became hot enough. This is no denigration of his formidable achievement: only a recognition of an element on which he failed to place sufficient emphasis: conscious effort.

But then, we judge a man of genius by his central insight. Jung's central insight was a development of the vision of his youth, and it was a message of hope for his fellow men. He achieved what he set out to achieve -- an epitaph good enough for any man.

Notes:

1. Discussed in my book The Occult (1971), pp. 219-20.

2. John-Raphael Staude: The Adult Development of C.G. Jung (1981).
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:47 am

Appendix

Active Imagination

Active imagination is certainly one of the most interesting and exciting of all Jung's ideas. But those who wish to learn more about it will have a frustrating time searching through the Collected Works; the General Index lists a few dozen references, but most of these turn out to be merely passing mentions. The earliest -- and perhaps most complete -- description of the method occurs in the essay on 'The Transcendent Function', written in 1916; yet here Jung does not even mention it by name. Moreover, he left the essay in his files until someone asked him for a contribution to a student magazine in 1957. It appears in Volume Eight of the Collected Works, together with a preliminary warning: 'The method is ... not without its dangers, and should, if possible, not be employed except under expert supervision.'

Yet if the method is as effective as Jung claims -- in his autobiography -- then such a danger should not be taken too seriously. After all, if active imagination really works, then Jung has solved a problem that tormented so many of the 'outsiders' of the nineteenth century, and should have provided mankind with a vital key to its future evolution. In a letter of 1871, Rimbaud wrote about the poet's need to induce visions: 'I say that one must be a visionary -- that one must make oneself a VISIONARY.' He goes on: 'The poet makes himself a visionary through a long, immense and reasoned derangement of all the senses. All forms of love, of suffering, of madness, he seeks himself ... ' And in A Season in Hell, he claims to have succeeded in inducing this derangement: 'I accustomed myself to simple hallucination: I really saw a mosque in place of a factory, angels practising on drums, coaches on the roads of the sky; a drawing room at the bottom of a lake: monsters, mysteries ... '

But when expressed in this form, we can see that it is basically the old romantic craving for wonders, marvels and ecstasies, the craving expressed in the very title of Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination. We find it in the dim, misty landscapes of Novalis and Tieck, in the grotesqueries of Hoffmann and Jean Paul, in the horrors of Poe and Sheridan Le Fanu, in the courtly daydreams of the Pre-Raphaelites, in Aubrey Beardsley's erotic imagery (and it was Beardsley who outraged readers of the Yellow Book with the image of a grand piano in a field) and in the shock tactics of the surrealists and the Dadaists. It all seems to amount to Yeat's attempt to escape the 'foul rag and bone shop of the heart' with a kind of ladder of wishful thinking. Clearly, if Jung had really created a usable technique for 'making oneself a visionary' and seeing angels practising on drums and drawing rooms at the bottom of a lake, then this alone would qualify him as one of the most significant figures of our century.

It was in the autobiography that Jung made clear for the first time how he came to recognize the existence of active imagination: how the break with Freud brought him to the verge of total nervous collapse, and so allowed him a glimpse of the delusions suffered by psychotic patients. It was fortunate for Jung that the vision of Europe drowned in blood came true in the following year, bringing the recognition that an 'illusion' is not necessarily untrue. 'I see too deep and too much' says the 'Outsider' hero of Barbusse's L'Enfer, and this was precisely what was happening to Jung.

When the mind is under this kind of severe stress, its natural tendency is to put up frantic resistance. Jung recognized that he was in the same position as Nietzsche and Holderlin, and that, like them, he might lose his sanity; the result was a grim determination not to 'let go'. Then, in December 1913, sitting at his desk in a state of turmoil and pessimism, he made the momentous decision to 'let go' and see what happened. The result was not total breakdown: it was the astonished recognition that the force that had been trying to make him let go was a stranger inside his own head, and that the stranger was in perfect control of the situation. It was a blinding recognition of the 'hidden ally'. In Hudson's terms, what was happening was that the 'subjective mind' was saying to the 'objective mind': 'Look, for heaven's sake stop struggling to maintain this iron curtain between us, because you're wasting your strength in fighting yourself.' It could be compared to a wife saying to her husband, who is exhausted by driving: 'Get in the back and have a nap while I drive.' Jung was sensible enough to let go of the steering wheel, and the result was the 'waking dream' of the cave with the corpse of Siegfried.

In a book called Access to Inner Worlds I have described how a similar experience happened to an American living in Finland, Brad Absetz. After the death of their child through cancer, his wife collapsed into severe depression. She used to lie on a bed for hours, plunged in negative fantasies and self-reproaches; Brad Absetz lay beside her, waiting for her to emerge, so he could be there to help her. He lay in a state of vigilance, waiting for the slightest indication that she was 'coming round'; at the same time, he was physically relaxed. One day, as he lay there, he experienced an overwhelming sense of lightness and relief, almost as if he were floating up off the bed. This was his own equivalent of Jung's 'letting go'. And what now happened was that that 'other person' inside his head began to express itself. As he stood by the buffet table, waiting to help himself to lunch, his arm began to twitch; he recognized this as a signal that it wanted to do something, and allowed it to reach out and take whatever food it liked. It took food that he would not normally have taken. This continued for weeks, and in a short time, he had lost weight, and felt healthier than ever before. One day his small daughter asked him to make her a drawing with coloured crayons; again, the hand began to twitch, and he allowed it to do what it liked. The result was an astonishing series of drawings and paintings, incredible 'psychedelic' patterns, every one totally different from all the others. His 'other self' took over and wrote poetry, while he merely looked on; it made metal sculptures; it performed his everyday tasks -- like bee-keeping -- in a simple, ritualistic manner that renewed his vitality. In the parliament of Brad's mind, the Member for the Unconscious had been given his proper say, and the result was a life that was in every way more harmonious and relaxed. He had, to a large extent, achieved 'individuation'.

Brad Absetz was in no danger of insanity when he 'let go', but he was under severe stress. His subjective mind, left to its own devices, showed him the way out of the impasse. (The method -- of lying totally relaxed, but in a state of wide-awake vigilance -- could be regarded as the simplest and most effective of all mental therapies.)

In 1913, Jung was in a rather worse state; so when he 'let go', the image-making powers of the subjective mind flooded into consciousness. He called the result 'active imagination', but we can see that it was not imagination in the ordinary sense of the word: the deliberate evocation of mental images or states. What Jung had achieved was a new balance between the ego and the unconscious, in which the unconscious was recognized as an equal partner. This explains why, from then on, Jung frequently had 'visions', like the one of the crucified Christ at the end of his bed.

We can at once see the difference between Jung's concept of active imagination and Rimbaud's. Rimbaud talked about surrendering to suffering and madness; but in effect, his ego remained in charge. He attempted a 'reasoned derangement of the senses' with drugs and alcohol, but since his ego was strong, these failed to produce individuation and 'access to inner worlds.' (I am inclined to regard his statement that he accustomed himself to seeing mosques instead of factories, etc, as wishful thinking, poetic license.) The real 'breakthrough' tends to occur in moments of desperation, or under extreme stress, and is a kind of inspired surrender. (Ramakrishna achieved a similar breakthrough when he attempted suicide with a sword, and was suddenly overwhelmed by a vision of the Divine Mother.)

Now we can begin to see why, although Jung regarded active imagination as the key to 'individuation', he said very little about it. There was very little to say. In the essay on 'The Transcendent Function' he writes: 'In the intensity of the emotional disturbance itself lies the value, the energy which he should have at his disposal in order to remedy the state ... ' He adds: 'Nothing is achieved by repressing this state or devaluing it rationally.' In other words, the patient suffering from severe mental stress is already ideally placed to begin to develop active imagination.

Jung's instructions follow:

In order, therefore, to gain possession of the energy that is in the wrong place, he must make the emotional state the basis or starting point of the procedure. He must make himself as conscious as possible of the mood he is in, sinking himself in it without reserve and noting down on paper all the fantasies and other associations that come up. Fantasy must be allowed the freest possible play, yet not in such a manner that it leaves the orbit of its object ... by setting off a kind of 'chain-reaction' process. This 'free association', as Freud called it, leads away from the object to all sorts of complexes ...

He utters a similar warning in the introduction he wrote to the essay in 1958: that 'one of the lesser dangers [of the method] is that [it] may not lead to any positive result, since it easily passes over into the so-called "free association" of Freud, whereupon the patient gets caught in the sterile circle of his own complexes ... ' We can see that, for example, if Brad Absetz had lain on the bed 'free associating', he would never have achieved the breakthrough; what was so important was the combination of total relaxation with mental vigilance and alertness. 'The whole procedure', says Jung, 'is a kind of enrichment and clarification of the affect [powerful feeling-state], whereby the affect and its contents are brought nearer to consciousness.' In some cases, says Jung, the patient may actually hear the 'other voice' as an auditory hallucination -- a comment that will convince split-brain psychologists that Jung is talking about the right and left cerebral hemispheres.

All this may leave readers who were hoping to learn how to practise active imagination feeling a little frustrated. Let us see if the matter can be clarified.

The essence of Jung's original experience -- of 'waking dreams' -- was the recognition of the reality of the 'hidden ally'. The 'letting go' that revealed this ally was a rather frightening process -- like letting yourself fall backwards, hoping someone is standing there to catch you (a game many of us used to play as children). Once you have discovered that there is someone waiting to catch you, the fear vanishes and turns into a sense of confidence and reassurance.

We could say, then, that the correct starting point for active imagination is the recognition that there is someone standing there behind you. In a remarkable book called The Secret Science at Work, Max Freedom Long describes his own methods -- based upon those of the Hunas of Hawaii -- for contacting the 'hidden ally' (which he calls the 'low self'); Long's group began referring to the 'other self' as George, and found that it could be engaged in a dialogue (and could also answer questions by means of a pendulum).

Once the real existence of the 'other self' has been recognized, the next question is to tease it into expressing itself. In a letter of 1947, Jung explained his technique to a Mrs. O-:

The point is that you start with any image, for instance just with that yellow mass in your dream. Contemplate it and carefully observe how the picture begins to unfold or change. Don't try to make it into something, just do nothing but observe what its spontaneous changes are. Any mental picture you contemplate in this way will sooner or later change through a spontaneous association that causes a slight alteration of the picture ... Hold fast to the one image you have chosen and wait until it changes by itself. Note all these changes and eventually step into the picture yourself, and if it is a speaking figure ... then say what you have to say to that figure and listen to what he or she has to say.

In his Tavistock Lectures of 1935 (Collected Works, Vol. 18) Jung gives an example of how one of his patients finally achieved active imagination 'from cold', so to speak. He was a young artist who seemed to find it practically impossible to understand what Jung meant by active imagination. 'This man's brain was always working for itself'; that is to say, his artistic ego would not get out of the driving seat. But each time the artist came to see Jung, he waited at a small station, and looked at a poster advertising Murren, in the Bernese Alps; it had a waterfall, a green meadow and a hill with cows. He decided to try 'fantasizing' about the poster. He stared at it and imagined he was in the meadow, then that he was walking up the hill. Perhaps he was in a particularly relaxed mood that day, or perhaps his artistic imagination now came to his aid instead of obstructing him. (We can imagine his right brain saying: 'So that's what you wanted! Why didn't you say so?') A waking dream took over. He found himself walking along a footpath on the other side of the hill, round a ravine and a large rock, and into a little chapel. As he looked at the face of the Virgin on the altar, something with pointed ears vanished behind the altar. He thought 'That's all nonsense', and the fantasy was gone.

He was struck by the important thought: perhaps that was not fantasy -- perhaps it was really there. Now presumably on the train, he closed his eyes and conjured up the scene again. Again he entered the chapel, and again the thing with pointed ears jumped behind the altar. This was enough to convince him that what he had seen was not mere fantasy, but a genuine glimpse of an objective reality inside his own head, 'access to inner worlds'. This, says Jung, was the beginning of a successful development of active imagination.

What becomes very clear here is that there is a certain 'turning point', and that this is the moment when the subject suddenly realizes that this is not mere personal fantasy, but that he is dealing with an objective reality -- the reality we occasionally encounter in dreams, when some place seems totally real.

The basic procedure, then, seems to be: lie still -- as Brad Absetz did -- and become perfectly relaxed and yet fully alert. Place yourself in a listening frame of mind, waiting for 'George' to speak. That is to say, assume that there is someone there who has something to communicate, and ask him to go ahead and say it. If what he 'says' is an image, then contemplate it as you might contemplate a painting in an art gallery, and ask him, so to speak, to go on.

Julian Jaynes's book The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind may be found a useful accessory in this quest for 'the turning point'. Jaynes believes that our remote ancestors of four thousand years ago did not possess 'self-consciousness' in the sense that we do; they could not decide a course of action by 'questioning themselves', because their minds were turned outward, so to speak. Decisions were made for them by 'voices' that came into their heads, and which they mistook for the voices of the gods; in fact, it was the other half of the brain, the 'other self'. Later, Jaynes believed, war and crisis forced man to develop self- awareness, so he no longer had need of auditory hallucinations.

We may object to this theory on the grounds that modern man is still 'bicameral' (with two minds), and that therefore it seems more probable that ancient man was 'unicameral', in a relaxed, 'instinctive' state of oneness with nature, like a cow. But this objection makes no real difference to the substance of the theory, which springs from the scientific recognition that we actually possess a 'second self' in the brain, and that thousands of people experience this second self in the form of auditory and visual hallucinations -- what Jung called 'projections'.

In her book Encounters with the Soul: Active Imagination, the Jungian psychotherapist Barbara Hannah insists that ancient man's encounters with 'God' (in the Old Testament, for example) are instances of active imagination: that is, of the action of the 'bicameral mind'. She cites two highly convincing examples of the 'auditory method of active imagination' from 2200 BC and from AD 1200, then reprints an important modern document, the account of a patient called Anna Marjula, of how she was cured through the practice of active imagination. The case helps to throw light on what Jung meant by active imagination.

Anna Marjula was the daughter of a lawyer, and Jung thought the origin of her neurosis could have been sexual -- seeing her father masturbating when she was a small girl; the father later revealed a certain physical interest in his daughter. She was a shy, nervous child, tormented by feelings of inferiority, and the death of her mother was a shattering experience. She was a fine musician, and wanted to become a concert pianist. Working for her examination, at the age of twenty-one, she became over-tense and spiritually exhausted. On the night before the examination, she had a 'vision'. A voice told her to sacrifice ambition, and to be perfectly willing to accept failure. (This, we can see, was the best advice her subjective mind could have offered her.) Her willingness to accept possible defeat brought religious ecstasy; at this point, the 'voice' told her that she was not destined to become famous herself, but that her real vocation was to become the mother of a man of genius. She should look around for someone who would be the right father for a man of genius, and offer herself to him without physical desire. If she could succeed in conceiving a child without any feeling of pleasure, the result would be a man of genius.

In fact, the patient never met the right man, and as she entered her forties, a conviction of having 'missed the boat' caused severe psychological problems. She was fifty-one when she became Jung's patient.

The analyst -- Jung's wife -- suggested that the original 'vision' was a deception of the 'animus', and that the patient should try to use active imagination to approach a more positive female archetype, the Great Mother. Clearly, the patient already had a predisposition to 'visions', and her psychological tensions provided the psychic energy for active imagination. The result was a remarkable series of conversations with the 'Great Mother', in which the patient experienced the Mother as another person -- as Jung experienced Philemon. The eventual result, according to Barbara Hannah, was a happy and serene old age.

Another Jungian analyst, J. Marvin Spiegelman, set out to conquer the techniques of active imagination at the age of twenty-four, with 'fantasies' of a cave, in which he encountered a mother, daughter and a wise old man. One day, a knight appeared and carried off the mother and daughter. The knight explained that he had certain tales to tell, and that there were 'several others in his realm' who also wished to dictate their stories. Spiegelman then spent several years taking down various stories dictated by the knight, a nun, a nymphomaniac, an old Chinaman, and various others: these were published in four volumes. Clearly, Spiegelman had used the same technique as Brad Absetz -- allowing the 'other self' to overcome its shyness and express itself -- and the results were in many ways similar.

In the fourth volume of the series, The Knight, Spiegelman makes an observation of central importance: that the successful practice of active imagination 'regularly leads to the occurrence of synchronistic events, in which one is related to the world in a deep, mystical way'. What happens, Spiegelman suggests, is that the inner work somehow changes one's relationship to the world. He then tells the important story of the Rainmaker, originally told to Jung by Richard Wilhelm. Wilhelm was in a remote Chinese village that was suffering from drought. A rainmaker was sent for from a distant village. He asked for a cottage on the outskirts of the village, and vanished into it for three days. Then there was a tremendous downpour, followed by snow -- an unheard-of occurrence at that time of year.

Wilhelm asked the old man how he had done it; the old man replied that he hadn't. 'You see', said the old man, 'I come from a region where everything is in order. It rains when it should rain and is fine when that is needed. The people are themselves in order. But the people in this village are all out of Tao and out of themselves. I was at once infected when I arrived, so I asked for a cottage on the edge of the village, so I could be alone. When I was once more in Tao, it rained.'

By being 'in Tao and in themselves', the old man meant what Jung meant by individuation. That is to say, there was a proper traffic between the two selves -- or the two halves of the brain. The people in the rainless village were dominated by the left-brain ego -- which, while it is unaware of the 'hidden ally', is inclined to over-react to problems. This in turn produces a negative state of mind that can influence the external world.

This throws a wholly new light on the idea of synchronicity, and also of magic. One could say that, according to the Chinese theory, the mind is intimately involved with nature. Synchronicity is not therefore the active intervention of the mind in natural processes: rather, a natural product of their harmony. (So when we are psychologically healthy, synchronicities should occur all the time.) Our fears and tensions interfere with this natural harmony; when this happens, things go wrong.

We can see that this also changes our concept of the nature of active imagination. It is not some kind of 'reasoned derangement of the senses', directed by the ego. It is an inner harmony based on the recognition of the 'hidden ally', which leads to a process of cooperation between the 'two selves'.

But here again, a warning must be uttered. A remarkable American physician, Howard Miller, has pointed out that human beings already possess a form of active imagination. I can close my eyes and conjure up a beach on a hot day, imagine the warm sand under my feet, the sun on my face, the sound of waves; then, in a split second, I can change to a winter day on a mountain, with snow underfoot and on the branches of the trees, and a cold wind on my face . . . But Miller points out that the 'control panel' of such imaginings is the ego itself. I decide on the change of scene, and my imagination obliges.

What Miller is saying, in effect, is that the right brain is the orchestra and the left brain is the conductor. If, for example, I relax and read poetry, or listen to music, I can induce all kinds of moods, and eventually achieve a state in which I can change my mood instantly: I can turn, let us say, from Milton's L'Allegro to Il Penseroso, and conjure up with total realism a summer scene with merrymakers and then the 'dim religious light' of abbeys and churches and pinewoods. The right and left brains can eventually achieve the same relationship as a great conductor with his orchestra -- the orchestra that has come to respond to his most delicate gesture. But such a state of harmony depends on the initial recognition that I am the conductor. I must take up my baton, tap the music stand, and say 'Gentlemen, today we do the Jupiter Symphony ... ' The greatest danger of active imagination is that the subject should assume it means handing over his baton to the orchestra -- which is obviously an absurdity. Active imagination is a state of cooperation in which the ego must remain the dominant partner.

Western man is in the position of a conductor who is unaware that he possesses an orchestra -- or is only dimly and intermittently aware of it. Active imagination is a technique for becoming aware of the orchestra. This is 'individuation'. And it is clearly only a beginning. The next task is to develop a random collection of musicians into a great orchestra. This is the real task of the conductor. And this seems to be what Jung meant when he said, towards the end of his life: 'Consciousness is the supreme arbiter.'
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:48 am

Select Bibliography

Works by C.G. Jung

The Collected Works of CG. Jung, 20 vols (Routledge and Kegan Paul) Letters, selected and edited by Gerhard Adler, 2 vols (Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1976).

The Freud/Jung Letters, edited by William McGuire (Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1974).

Memories, Dreams, Reflections (Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1963).

Man and his Symbols with M-L von Franz, Joseph L. Henderson, Jolande Jacobi and Aniela Jaffe (Aldus, 1964).

Word and Image, edited by Aniela Jaffe, Bollingen Series (Princeton University Press, 1979).

C.G. Jung: Speaking, Interviews and Encounters, edited by William McGuire and R.F.C. Hull (Thames and Hudson, 1978).

Books on Jung

Bennet, E.A., C.G. Jung (Barrie and Rockcliffe, 1961).

Brome, Vincent, Jung, Man and Myth (Macmillan, 1978).

Franz, M-L von, C.G. Jung, His Myth in Our Time (Putnams, 1975).

Hannah, Barbara, Encounters with the Soul: Active Imagination as developed by C.G. Jung (Sigo Press, 1981).

Jaffe, Aniela, From the Life and Work of C.G. Jung (Hodder and Stoughton, 1972).

Post, Laurens van der, Jung and the Story of Our Time (The Hogarth Press, 1976).

Speigelman, J. Marvin, The Knight (Falcon Press, Phoenix, Arizona, 1982).
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:48 am

Index

Abraxas, 83
Absetz, Brad, 147, 149, 151, 153
Academy of German Scientists and Physicians, 109
Access to Inner , 147
active types, 94
Adler, A., 96, 98, 108
Agrippa, Cornelius, 106, 115
Aion, 9, 118-19, 138
alchemy, 101-8, 126, 134
analytical psychology, 108
anima, 89, 100, 103
animus, 100, 103, 153
Answer to Job, 9, 118-20, 136, 137
'Approaching the Unconscious', 93-4, 122
archetypes, as, 96, 126, 135, 137
Archives of Psychology, 61
Artis Auriferae, 102
Aschaffenburg, Professor Gustav, 46
Attwood, Mrs. (formerly Mary Anne South), 103,

Bailey, Ruth, 120, 123
Balzac, Honore de, 136
Barbusse, Henri, 146
Barker, Granville, 133
Basle, 23, 25-6, 28
University of, 26
Baudelaire, Charles, 12
Beardsley, Aubrey, 146
Biographia Literaria, 140
'Black Book' (Jung's), 80
Blake, William, 65, 76
Blavatsky, H. P., 10
Bleuler, Eugen, 34-7, 39, 41, 44-5, 54, 56, 71, 76, 1\2
Boddinghaus, Martha, 58
Breuer, Josef, 47-50
Brome, Vincent, 46, 89, 100
Brothers Karamazov, The, 119
Buddhism, 96
Burgholzli Mental Hospital, 10, 34, 36, 41-2, 57-8,

Cavendish, Henry, 102
Character as seen in Body and Parentage, 93
Charcot, Professor J. M., 48, 125,
and hypnosis, 48
Christian Dogmatics, 21
Christianity, 104, 105, 118-19
Church Fathers, 94, 100, 126
'Circus Animals' Desertion, The', 10-11
Clark University, 54
Coleridge, S.T., 140
collective unconscious, 75, 89, 96, 105, 109, 117-118,
126-127, 130, 137
Conrad, Joseph, 99
Creuzer, Friedrich, 57, 76
Crime and Punishment, 141
Crowley, Aleister, 106

Dalton, John, 102-3,
Dance of Life, The, 90
dementia praecox, 44, 46
see also schizophrenia
Diagnostic Association Studies, 45,
Doors of Perception, The, 14
Dorn, Gerhard, 107
Dostoevsky, Fyodor, 119, 141

Einstein, Albert, 83,
Eliade, Mircea, 118
Eliot, T. S., 64, 91, 94
Elixir of Life, 102,
enantiodromia, 128-9, 131
Encounters with the Soul: Active Imagination, 152
'Energies of Man, The', 142
Ensor, as
Eranos Conference, 9, 113
ESP, 113-14
'Experience with the Occult, An', 135
exteriorization phenomena, 54
extrovert type, 92-4

'Faculty X', 104-41
Faust, 22, 24-5, 41, 79, 120, 143
Ferenczi, Sandor, 57
Fichte, Johann Gottlieb, 133
Flammorion, Camille, 114
Flournoy, Theodore, 24
Flying Saucers: A Modern Myth of Things Seen in the Skies, 117
Fordham, Dr. Michael, 123
Fox, Kate, 27
Fox, Margaret, 27
France, Anatole, 94
Frankl, Victor, 131
Freeman, John, 121-2
Freud, Sigmund, 43, 46-52, 54, 64-70, 76, 87-8, 95,
125, 133, 137,
and poltergeist in bookcase, 54
and the Oedipus theory, 49
and the sexual theory, 43, 46-52, 64-5, 67,
76, 87-8, 95, 125, 133, 137
end of association with Jung, 66-70
first meeting with Jung, 46-7
'Wolf Man', 133
Frey-Rohn, Dr Liliane, 96
Froebe-Kapteyn, Frau Olga, 108

Galton, Sir Francis, 37, 51
Gandhi, M. K., 9
Gautomo (Buddha), 21
Ghosts: Reality or Delusion? 13
Gnosticism, 100-101
Goethe, J.W. von, 14, 17, 21, 22, 24, 25, 30, 51, 65, 79,
95, 101, 120, 121, 123, 136
Golden Dawn, Hermetic Order of the, 10, 103, 106
Great Mother, 153
Greely, Horace, 136
Gurdjieff, G. I., 89, 131

Hall, Edward T., 90
Hannah, Barbara, 152-3
'Healing the Split', 122
Heart of Darkness, 99
Hegel, G. W. F., 124, 136
Herodotus, 57
Hippocrates, 115
Holderlin, J. C. F., 65, 73, 76, 146
Hollandus, 102
homosexuality, 46, 90, 121
Hu Shih, 91
Hudson, Thomson Jay, 24-5, 31, 77-9, 81, 88, 131,
133, 139, 146
Human Comedy, 136
Hume, David, 142
Huxley, Aldous, 14
Huxley, T. H., 15, 65
Hyslop, J. H., 32

I Ching, 8-9, 15, 83, 88, 91, 95, 113, 114
Idiot, The, 141
Il Penseroso, 155
individuation, 87-9, 109, 137-40, 143, 147, 154-5
International Medical Society for Psychotherapy,
Interpretation of Dreams, 10, 42-3, 68
introvert type, 92-4

Jaffe, Aniela, 104, 109, 112, 121
James, William, 32, 142
Janet, Pierre, 39-41, 43-4, 56, 62, 79, 110, 127-30, 133,
and neurosis, 127-8, 133
Jaynes, Julian, 151
Jones, Ernest, 46, 57, 65
Jordan, Dr Furneaux, 92-4
Journal of Psychiatry, 35
Joyce, James, 109
Jung, Carl Gustav, 7-8, 15, 17-18, 25~, 34-8, 41-2,
45-7, 51-2, 54, 57, 64, 66-70
attack at school, 18
and Christianity, 118-20
death of, 123
end of association with Freud, 66, 70
first meeting with Freud, 40-7
and first sign, of split personality, 22
and Freud's sexual theory, 51-2, 58, 64, 76,
and his father, 17
and his mother, 17-18
and his painting, 80-81, 85
and hypnosis, 42
and the I Ching, 91
and interest in mythology, 58
and interest in magic, 99
and letter to Freud, 45
and marriage, 41
and near death experience, 7-8, 15
and poltergeist in bookcase, 54
and 'the round house', 96
and word association tests, 36-7, 44, 57
at Burgholzli Mental Hospital, 34-38, 57
collected works of, 41, 135, 138, 145, 150
Jung, Emma, 46, 53-4, 58, 60, 71, 89, 96, 121
correspondence with Freud, 60

Kali, 83
Kant, Immanuel, 22
Kardec, Allen, 28
Kepler, Johannes, 115
Kerner, Justinus, 30
Kierkegaard, Soren, 110
Knight, The, 153
Koestler, Arthur, 92
Krafft-Ebing, Baron Richard von, 11, 33, 51, 76

L'Allegro, 155
Lavoisier, Antoine-Laurent, 102
Law of Psychic Phenomena, The, 24, 31, 77
Lawrence, D. H., 97
Lawrence, T. E., 90
Leibniz, G.W. von, 1I5
L'Enfer, l46
Lindbergh, Charles, 117, 135
Long, Dr Constance, 93
Long, Max Freedom, 150
Luther, Martin, 95

Magnus, Albertus, 114
Man and his Symbols, 15
Man, Myth and Magic, 9
Mandala symbol, 31, 81, 83, 87-8, 100, 105, 117, 120
manic-depression, 36
Mann, Thomas, 135-6
Marjula, Anna, 152
Maslow, Abraham, 137, 141
Mayer, Robert, 96
Memories, Dreams, Reflections, 10, 25, 82, 121
Meredith, George, 71
Metamorphoses and Symbols of Libido, 61
Miller, Howard, 154-5
Miller, Miss Frank, 61-3
Milton, John, 155
Mirandola, Pico della, 115
Mithras Liturgy, 58
Moltzer, Mary, 58
Morike, Eduard, 65
Moser, Fanny, 13, 135
multiple personality, 38-9
Myers, Frederic, 28
mysterium coniunctions, 102
Mysterium Coniunctionis, 105, 107, 121

'Nature of the Psyche, The', 105
Newton, Sir Isaac, 83
Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm, 25, 27, 41, 51, 65, 73,
76, 80, 83, 95, 101, 146
nominalism, 95
Norman, Sir Montagu, 36, 38, 131
Nostradamus, 9

Occult, The, 140
Oedipus complex, 49, 66-7, 71, 129
'On so-called Occult Phenomena', 38
On Synchronicity, 9, 113
Origen, 94, 118
Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, The, 151

Pappenheim, Bertha, 47, 50
Paracelsus, 106, 115, 134
Philalethes, 102
Philemon, 75, 77-81, 91, 111, 134, 153
Philosopher's Stone, The, 106
Philosophy of the Unconscious, The, 27
Philp, E. H., 137
Plato, 67
Poe, Edgar Allan, 146
Polynesian religion, 96
Prajapati, 81
Preiswerk, Emilie, 17-18
Preiswerk, Helene, 10, 29-33, 38, 44, 134
Preiswerk, Helly see Helene Preiswerk
Preiswerk, Revd Samuel, 29-30
Priestley, Joseph, 102,
Problems of Mysticism and its Symbolism, 101-2
Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research, 13
Prometheus and Epimetheus, 95
Proust, Marcel, 20, 140, 143
Psychoanalytical Congress, 53, 66
'Psychological Foundation of Belief in Spirits, The,
13, 135
Psychological Types, 92-6, 100, 105, 118
Psychology and Alchemy, 104-5, 109
'Psychology and Pathology of So-called Occult
Phenomena, The', 31
Psychology of Dementia Praecox, The, 43
Psychology of the Unconscious, The, 96, 99, 128

Rauschenbach, Emma (later Emma Jung), 41
see also Jung, Emma
realism, 95
'Red Book' (Jung's), 80-81
reflective types, 94
Regardie, Francis Israel, 106
Reich, Wilhelm, 49, 101
Riedel, Albert, 106
Rimbaud, Arthur, 145, 148
Rivail, Denizard, 27
Royal Society, 109
Russell, Bertrand, 14

Satan, 119
Schiller, J.C.F. von, 76, 95
schizophrenia, 34-7, 39, 44, 85, 129
Schneider, Rudi, 112, 134-5
Schopenhauer, Arthur, 22, 41, 51, 116
Schweitzer, Albert, 9
'Season in Hell, A', 145
Secret of the Golden Flower, The, 100-101, 106, 138
Secret Science at Work, The, 150
Seven Sermons to the Dead, 82-3
Sex, 43, 47-50, 58, 61, 63-5
and neurosis, 50, 58, 64, 88
masturbation, 63-4
see also Freud
Shaw, George Bernard, 24, 120
Sidgwick, Henry, 28
Silberer, Herbert, 101
Society for Psychical Research, 28, 32
Socrates, 15, 31-2, 67
'Soul and Death, The', 116
South, Mary Anne (later Mrs. Attwood), 103
Spaatz, General, 117
Spengler, Oswald, 118
Spiegelman, Marvin J., 153
Spielrein, Sabina, 53, 57
Spirits' Book, The, 28
Spitteler, Carl, 95
split-brain physiology, 77, 90, 97, 140, 149
Storr, Anthony, 9-10, 124-5
Stuckelberger, Dr, 21
Studies in Word Association, 43
Study of History, The 97
Suggestive Enquiry into the Hermetic Mystery, A, 103 Symbols and Mythology of Ancient Peoples, 57, 76
Symbols of Transformation, 61, 63-4, 67-8, 76; 78, 85,
92, 94, 105, 118, 138,
synchronicity, 75, 113-14, 116, 143, 154
Synchronity: An Acausal Connecting Principle, 114

Tales of Mystery and Imagination, 146
Tao, 115, 154
Taos Indians, 97
Tavistock Clinic, 108, 150
Tausk, Viktor, 101
Tertullian, 94, 118
Textbook of Psychiatry, 11, 33
Thus Spake Zarathustra, 25, 27, 82