I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have to Be Destroyed By

"Science," the Greek word for knowledge, when appended to the word "political," creates what seems like an oxymoron. For who could claim to know politics? More complicated than any game, most people who play it become addicts and die without understanding what they were addicted to. The rest of us suffer under their malpractice as our "leaders." A truer case of the blind leading the blind could not be found. Plumb the depths of confusion here.

Re: I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have to Be Destroyed

Postby admin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:43 am

ALONE AND ON THE PROWL

This is one of two patches known to be associated with a black Lockheed Martin Skunk Works project named "Prowler" or "Desert Prowler." The project was active as of late 2005.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:43 am

DESERT PROWLER

A second patch associated with the classified "Desert Prowler" project. Again, the collection of five-plus-one stars may represent the classified operating location at Groom Lake, Nevada, also known as Area 51.

The meaning of the other symbols on this patch is unclear.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:44 am

SNEEKY PETE, World's Oldest Known Flying Pig

Another patch from an obscure Scaled Composites project; the symbolism is unclear. The name Pete may refer to Scaled Composites test pilot Peter Siebold.
admin
Site Admin

GLOBAL ENGAGEMENT MILITARY SPACEPLANE TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM

This patch is from the Phillips Laboratory Military Spaceplane Technology (MIST) Program Office at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico.

The original version of the patch sported an "X-Wing" fighter from the Star Wars movies. When lawyers representing George Lucas delivered the unit a cease and desist order, the aircraft on the patch was changed into the shape that appears on this patch.
admin
Site Admin

THE CUTTING EDGE SPACE WARFARE CENTER SPECIAL PROJECTS DIVISION

Based at Schriever Air Force Base in Colorado, the Space Warfare Center's mission is to evaluate the performance of space and missile systems, integrate space systems into military operations, and train space systems operators.

One can assume that the Special Projects Division performs similar functions for "black" space systems.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:45 am

IF I TELL YOU I HAVE TO KILL YOU

A generic patch for "black" projects designed by a member of Air Test and Evaluation Squadron Four (VX-4), based at Point Mugu near Camarillo, California. VX-4 eventually merged with VX-5 from NAWC China Lake, also in Southern California, to become VX-9 with detachments at both locations.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:45 am

TRIANGULUM

"Triangulum" is reported to designate a variation on the RS6b SENIOR SPEAR sensor system built into some versions of the U-2 spy plane. The Triangulum system allegedly uses twelve antennae along the aircraft's fuselage and an antenna on each wing.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:46 am

VINDICATOR

Built by Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works, the Vindicator system was a highly classified project (rumored to be "more secret than the F-117A," the stealth fighter program) from the 1980s. This patch includes the Lockheed Advanced Development Projects skunk mascot wearing a helmet and scarf. The device emanating a lightning bolt is a laser. The patch depicts a laser anemometer optical air data system, which takes the place of conventional pitot-static probes on stealth or high-speed aircraft where physical protrusions are undesirable. The device is a velocity indicator (or, in aviation parlance, a v-indicator).
admin
Site Admin

LO FLIGHT TEST

The words "LO Flight Test" describe a "Low Observables" flightiest, in all probability a radar measurement test for a stealth aircraft using the radar measurement range at Groom Lake, Nevada. The date of this particular flight test is unknown, but the test reportedly involved a B-2 stealth bomber. The sigma symbol in the middle of the patch refers to the unknown value of the aircraft's radar cross section (sigma/zero being the ideal radar cross section measurement for a stealth plane). "Huge deposit" indicates the bomb load deposited by the bomber on its target, while "no return" refers to the absence of a radar-return, meaning that the aircraft was undetectable to radar. It is unclear why there is a star on the tail of the sigma, though it may simply be an artistic touch.
admin
Site Admin

RED HATS —MORE WITH LESS

Red Hats was the nickname of the 6513th Test Squadron, whose mission was to test fly a collection of Soviet military aircraft surreptitiously acquired from foreign sources. The 6513th was based at Groom Lake, Nevada in a collection of hangars on the northern end of the base that became known as "Red Square." The program to test Soviet MiGs at Groom Lake began in the late 1960s as a joint CIA/USAF effort under the code names HAVE DRILL and HAVE DOUGHNUT.

Again, note the collection of six stars on the patch, which may refer to Groom Lake's nickname, Area 51.

The 6513th was deactivated in 1992 and transformed into the 413th Flight Test Squadron.
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Political Science