We'll Be Sure To Show This To Our Lawyers When They're Out

We'll Be Sure To Show This To Our Lawyers When They're Out

Postby admin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 pm

We’ll Be Sure To Show This To Our Lawyers When They’re Out Of Class (UPDATED)
by Chris Beam

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

October 9, 2006 at 11:10 am

Thank you, Aleksey Vayner, for making our day month lifetime! Our first cease and desist! We promise we’ll always cherish this, up there our first kiss, our first beer – hell, the first time we saw “Impossible Is Nothing.” For everyone who doesn’t have access to the IvyGate inbox of wonders, we’ve reproduced the missive for your enjoyment:

To: ivygate@gmail.com, ron706@aol.com
Date: Oct 9, 2006 12:04 AM
Subject: Cease and Disist Notification
Dear editor, writer, owner of IvyGateBlog,

It has been brought to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my video, my photographs, have made public disclosure of private facts, and have slandered me in your articles on IvyGateBlog.com. I have reserved all rights to the video you have uploaded onto YouTube.com, and have made available on your site. I have also reserved all rights to the photos you have used in your articles about me. Furthermore, you have made an illegal public disclosure of private facts by posting my cover letter, resume, and my article on hedge fund selling beta as alpha, online on ivygateblog.com. Finally you have extensively slandered me in your articles.

As you neither asked for nor received permission to use copyrighted video and photographs for your articles, you have willfully infringed my rights. You have also illegally made my private information public.

I demand that you immediately cease and desist. You must remove the illegal copy of my video from your youtube.com account and any other site, cease any use and the distribution of my property and information, remove my private information that are my cover letter, resume, and the research paper on “hedge funds selling alpha as beta,” the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the materials mentioned above. I ask that you destroy such copies immediately, and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. Kindly provide proof within 10 days that you have complied with my request dated October 8th 2006.

Very truly yours,

Aleksey Vayner

p.s. Due effort has been made to obtain your company’s physical contact information. If you kindly provide me with a physical address, a copy of this notification will be sent to you by registered mail.

So … Anyone want to represent us in Vayner v. IvyGate?

UPDATE 4:42 p.m.: A hawkeyed commenter noticed striking similarities between Vayner’s letter and this C&D letter template. We knew we’d heard “Very truly yours” somewhere before.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Chris Beam