by Kenneth Paul White
NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.
Rumor had it that scandal’s cruel tongue was responsible for this good woman’s death. She was one of the many victims that go to unhappy graves in order that the monstrous appetite for gossip may be appeased. If there be punishment after death, surely, the creator and disseminator of scandal will come to know the anger and contempt of a righteous God. The good and the bad are all of a kind to them. Their putrid minds see something vile in every action, and they leave the drippings of their evil tongues wherever they go. Some scandalmongers are merely stupid and vulgar, while others have a biting wit that cause them to be feared and hated. Rumors they repeat as facts, and to speculations they add what corroborative evidence is needed. The dropping of the eyelids, the smirk that is so full of insinuation is used to advantage where it is more effective than the downright lie. The burglar and the highwayman go frankly abroad to gather in the substance of others, and they stand ready to forfeit both life and liberty while in pursuit of nefarious gain. Yet it is a noble profession compared with that of the scandalmonger, and the murderer himself is hardly a more objectionable member of society than the character assassin.
-- Philip Dru: Administrator, by Edward Mandell House
Brown White & Newhouse LLP, Attorneys
333 S. Hope Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Special Counsel, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton (2003-2005), Associate, Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker (2001-2003); Assistant United States Attorney, Central District of California, Criminal Division, Government Fraud and Public Corruption Section (1995-2001).
Harvard Law School (J.D., 1994, cum laude); Editor-in-Chief, Harvard Journal on Legislation (1993-94); Stanford University (B.A., Political Science, 1991, Departmental Honors).
Law Clerk, Hon. Richard A. Gadbois, United States District Court for the Central District of California (1994-1995).
American Bar Association's White Collar Crime Committee; State Bar of California's Litigation Section and Criminal Justice Section; Los Angeles County Bar Association, Criminal Justice Committee; Los Angeles County Bar Association Foundation, Board of Directors (2005-2009); Federal Bar Association, Los Angeles Chapter.
California (1994); United States District Court, Central, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of California; United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.
The following are a few of Mr. White’s representative matters:
Criminal and Administrative Investigations and Prosecutions
White Collar Investigations and Prosecutions
• Represented heir accused of theft of deceased parent’s Social Security benefits, leading to termination of investigation without charges.
• Represented heir accused of theft of deceased parent’s veteran benefits, leading to probationary sentence.
• Represented businessman charged with money laundering and structuring financial transactions, yielding favorable outcome.
• Defended accountant in federal investigation of tax shelter fraud, leading to termination of investigation of client without charges.
• Successfully defended local politician accused of conflict of interest and misappropriation of public funds.
• Represented merchants accused of sale of counterfeit goods, resulting in favorable disposition.
Other Criminal Matters
• Represented inmate accused in videotaped prison riot, yielding acquittal at trial.
• Represented federal and state defendants in cases involving drug trafficking, immigration violations, assault, sexual assault, and theft.
Representation of Professionals
• Represented physicians in Medical Board investigations, leading to termination of investigation without charges and other favorable resolutions.
• Defended accountant investigated in public corruption investigation, resulting in termination of investigation of client without charges.
• Represented tax preparer in major tax evasion prosecution, resulting in favorable disposition.
First Amendment and Defamation Issues
• Represented government employee in anti-SLAPP litigation regarding fraud investigation, resulting in plaintiff being ordered to pay client’s legal fees.
• Represented science blogger threatened with SLAPP suit, resulting in complete vindication for blogger and abandonment of threatened suit.
• Represented hotel owner in trial court and court of appeal in anti-SLAPP litigation over owner’s participation in zoning process.
• Represented pharmaceutical company in anti-SLAPP litigation in federal court.
• Advised numerous clients, including bloggers, regarding consequences of anti-SLAPP statute on proposed defamation suits.
Representation of Professionals
• Represented physicians in wrongful termination suits, resulting in satisfactory settlements.
• Represented physician in fraud litigation against perpetrators of investment scam.
Fraud and Misconduct By Fiduciaries
• Represented shareholder in closely-held corporation in litigation alleging embezzlement by majority shareholder.
• Represented court-appointed receiver in suit alleging breach of fiduciary duty against law firm.
• Represented real estate joint venture partner in suit alleging fraud and misconduct against partner.
Complex Fraud Litigation
• Represented insurance agents in series of fraud and professional negligence suits brought against insurance companies and agents based upon health insurance policies.
• Represented real estate developers in multiple suits alleging fraud and mismanagement of investments.
• Represented consumer electronics manufacturer in suit alleging fraud and misappropriation of goods by lender.
• Represented healthcare corporation in large-scale qui tam suit alleging Medicare fraud.
• Represented businessman in suit alleging fraudulent transfer of assets to evade judgment.
Securities Fraud Matters
• Represented numerous targets, subjects, and witnesses in SEC investigations.
• Defended studio executive accused of lying to government in course of SEC investigation.
• Defended general partner in a $320 million real estate mortgage case involving allegations of securities fraud.
• Represented individuals and entities in SEC civil case seeking disgorgement of invested funds.
• Represented businesses and individuals accused of sexual harassment.
• Conducting training for local government entities on preventing sexual harassment.
• Investigated misappropriation of shipping company’s resources for drug smuggling, successfully reinstating company’s U.S. Customs status.
• Conducted internal investigation of national charity accused of defrauding local governments on services contracts, and resolved government investigation favorably to the charity.
• Represented clients in wrongful death, personal injury, wrongful termination, and other matters.