Crashing the Party, by Ralph Nader

When I was 14 years old, I heard Ralph Nader say that box cereal was less nutritious than the box it came in, and you'd get more nutrition out of tearing up the box and pouring sugar and milk over it, and eating that for breakfast. That's the kind of genius that Ralph Nader produces constantly, and why his ideas changed the world for Americans more than perhaps any political thinker of the late 20th century. He remains more relevant than virtually every other political thinker currently on the scene.

Re: Crashing the Party, by Ralph Nader

Postby admin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 am

APPENDIX I: STEVE COBBLE MEMO

To: The Sierra Club
Date: July 21, 2000
Subject: "Pragmatic" Politics

This was Wednesday's headline, front page:

"Clinton/Gore Administration will not breach dams to save salmon."

Will this be Sunday's headline, inside page?

"As expected, Sierra Club endorses Gore."

The political result: the Sierra Club will be ignored the rest of the campaign; key environmental issues will be left off the agenda and out of the presidential debates, as Vice President Gore seeks to mollify and attract swing voters, while taking the "base" for granted; and the Sierra Club will gain the image of a special interest group that will subsume its core principles at the behest of the Democratic Party. In addition, of course, the Sierra Club will snub perhaps the greatest consumer, environmental, and anti-corporate activist in American history.

This is not "practical" politics. It is certainly not practical politics only three days after a major public insult, which the salmon decision is.

This is not the way to play even the insider game on behalf of the environment, much less the long-term, mass movement, change the anti-environmental-corporate-structure game. After all, in American politics, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, not the go-along- to-get-along liberal interest group -- quiet politics only works for those with the big, big corporate money, behind closed doors.

Contrast that possible outcome of this weekend's meetings with the recent actions of President Hoffa and the Teamsters Union. When the Clinton-Gore administration rammed PNTR (Permanent Normal Trade Relations) with China down the throats of the labor and environmental movements, the Teamsters (along with the UAW) did not take this double- cross lightly.

Instead, President Hoffa announced that the Teamsters would reconsider their 1996 support of the Democrats. He then held a press conference with Ralph Nader, and announced that he supported Nader's inclusion in the presidential debates, as the only way to get fair trade issues discussed in front of the voting public.

The result: reams of press, lots of media attention, an enhanced reputation for independent action and standing up for their members of the Teamsters Union, and more focus on the trade question. That's practical politics.

The sad fact is that in modern politics, only when a candidate is fearful of losing your vote does he pay attention. We have a recent illustration of this principle -- the Clinton-Gore administration's late discovery of the Antiquities Act of 1906, when faced with an independent campaign by Ralph Nader and the Greens.

First used by Teddy Roosevelt, to save some of the most precious sites in the United States, the Antiquities Act of 1906 has since been used by president after president to set aside threatened lands.

In 1978, the last Democratic president, Jimmy Carter, saved 56 million acres in Alaska, by invoking the Antiquities Act seventeen times after Congress refused to set aside these lands from development.

Yet for the first three-and-three-quarters years of the Clinton-Gore administration, the Antiquities Act of 1906 was never applied. In 1993, zero acres were saved. In 1994, zero acres were saved. In 1995, zero acres were saved.

Yet in late 1996, just before the election, Bill Clinton appeared on the edge of the Grand Canyon, to announce his first-ever use of the Antiquities Act of 1906 to preserve the Grand Staircase -- Escalante in Utah -- a staged event obviously aimed more at neighboring California, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico than at Utah, where Democratic chances were nil.

Some noticed that there were Green Parties in those four states. And some noticed that Bill Clinton blamed Ralph Nader for losing Colorado in 1996, after winning it in 1992.

Still, in 1997, after the election, zero acres were saved. In 1998, the Antiquities Act was again never invoked. In 1999, zero acres once again.

Then Nader began to make it known that he was going to run in 2000, this time seriously. In January, the Clinton-Gore administration rediscovered the Antiquities Act of 1906, setting aside the Grand Canyon-Parashant and Agua Fria in Arizona, and the coast off California's shore.

In late February, Nader made an official announcement, promising to raise several million dollars, campaign in all fifty states, and qualify for the ballot in almost all the states. In April, the Giant Sequoia area became the latest land set-aside.

Nader broke the all-important 5 percent barrier in the national polls, the level that would make the Green Party a national political party, and began to poll very well along the West Coast. And then in June, the Clinton-Gore administration invoked the Antiquities Act once again for the Ironwood Forest in Arizona, Hanford Reach in Washington, the Canyons of the Ancients in Colorado, and the Cascade-Siskiyou in Oregon.

Notice the pattern: environmental conservation in swing states, personified by announcing the Utah set-aside in Arizona.

Notice the other, more basic pattern: years in which Nader is running, millions of acres are saved; years in which Nader is not running -- zero acres are saved.

This is' not an accident. Presidential politics in America is not about being nice and polite; it's not about nice rhetoric; it's about independent action, swing votes, and leverage. It's also about strength, not weakness.

To endorse Al Gore, alone, while snubbing Ralph Nader, only three days after the Clinton- ore administration committed its most recent environmental breach of trust would show weakness. (And how's that Ohio incinerator doing these days?)

Instead of defending salmon, the Sierra Club would be protecting Al Gore.

What other options are there?

• An endorsement of Ralph Nader. Obviously, Nader 2000 would prefer this option. Nader's work on Clean Air and Clean Water, consumer safety, fuel efficiency, and global trade has earned him the unparalleled respect of environmentalists around the world.
• A dual endorsement of Nader and Gore. This action would make it clear that voters who care about the environment have two champions in the race.
• A dual endorsement, by targeted state. In this option, the Sierra Club would recognize the value of a new political party founded on environmental principles, and led by a lifelong environmental leader. The Sierra Club would endorse both candidates, and then suggest to its membership -- by state, in late October -- which candidate to support. So, in California, where Gore is leading, the Sierra Club could suggest a Nader vote in November, to build the Green Party and create environmental leverage in the future. In Ohio, however, if the race is very close, the suggestion could be that Sierra Clubbers vote for Gore, to insure that the state's electoral votes do not go to Bush. Given the very sophisticated nature of the Sierra Club's polling and direct mail operations, this is not that difficult to do.
• A deferred endorsement, with a passionate public argument that Nader be included in the presidential debates, so that key environmental issues such as the globalization of trade will be heard. (This is essentially the Teamsters' action.) The Sierra Club could then decide on an endorsement after the debates, when it will be much clearer whether Nader's candidacy has caught on (like Ross Perot's), or not.

We would respectfully argue that the minimum response of the Sierra Club to this weekend's deliberations is a public declaration that Ralph Nader should be included in the presidential debates. Nader's four decades of public interest work on behalf of the earth and its people have earned him at least that amount of respect.

Indeed, there is nothing preventing the Sierra Club from holding a national debate of its own, inviting all the candidates, and at a minimum refusing to endorse any candidate who is afraid to show up and debate environmental issues in front of an environmental audience.

This option would show strength, and force all the political system to deal with the environmental issues that the major party candidates would rather just talk about.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 am

APPENDIX J: WHAT I VOTED FOR, BY TIM ROBBINS

The Nation, August 6, 2001

In mid-June 2001 Tim Robbins spoke at the annual dinner of the Liberty Hill Foundation, which funds grassroots organizing in Los Angeles. In recognition of his politically engaged films and his activist commitments, the foundation gave him its Upton Sinclair Award. Following is an edited version of his remarks. -- The Editors

About a month ago in a New York theater, I was approached by an agitated older couple. "We hope you're happy now," they said. "With what?" I said, suspecting the answer they gave. "Your Nader gave us Bush." Now, this wasn't the first time since the election that I had been attacked by irate liberals who saw my support of Ralph Nader as a betrayal, as blasphemy, as something tantamount to pissing on the Constitution. Before the election, Susan [Sarandon] and I had been attacked in the op-ed pages of the New York Times; we'd received intimidating faxes from a leading feminist admonishing us for our support for Nader. A week before the election we'd gotten a phone call from a Hollywood power broker, who urged us to call Nader and ask him to withdraw from the race. If he did so, this mogul said, he would contribute $100,000 to the Green Party. I told him that no phone call from us would sway this man, that this. was not a politics of personal influence and deal-making, and that the Green Party probably wouldn't take his contribution. After the election I read an article in which a famous actor criticized supporters of Nader, calling them limousine liberals of the worst kind, unconcerned with the poor.

It was not easy to support Nader. In no uncertain terms the message sent to us by colleagues and business associates was that our support of Nader would cost us. Will it? I don't know. After the election one of our kids was admonished in public by the aforementioned Hollywood mogul. And who knows what fabulous parties we haven't been invited to.

So, what to make of all this? As someone who has voted defensively in the past and at one time recognized all Republicans as evil incarnate, I completely understand the reactions of these people. I like these people. Eight years ago I would have said the same thing to me. But a lot has happened that has shifted the way I think. After talking with friends in Seattle after protests there, after going with Susan to Washington, D.C., and talking with activists at the IMF-World Bank protests, after talking with thirteen-year-olds handing out pamphlets on sweatshops outside a Gap on Fifth Avenue, after watching the steady drift to the right of the Democratic Party under Clinton, I have come to the realization that I would rather vote my conscience than vote strategically.

There is something truly significant happening today. A new movement is slowly taking hold on college campuses, among leftwing groups in Europe, and human rights groups throughout the world. The protests in Seattle in 1999, the IMF-World Bank protests in Washington, D.C., in 2000, and the continuing presence of agitation wherever corporate entities gather to determine global economic and environmental policies do not, as the media portray them, merely reflect the work of fringe radicals and anarchists. Such events arise out of a broad-based coalition of students, environmentalists, unions, farmers, scientists, and other concerned citizens who view the decisions made in these cabals as the frontline in the battle for the future of this planet. This is a movement in its infancy that I believe is as morally compelling as the early abolitionists fighting to end slavery in the eighteenth century; as important as the labor activists advocating workplace safety and an end to child labor in the early 1850s; as undeniable as the scientists who first alerted the American public to widespread abuse of our environment by corporate polluters. All of these movements met with overwhelming condemnation by both political parties, were ignored and then criticized by the press, while their adherents were harassed, arrested, and sometimes killed by police and other agencies of the government. But because of their tenacity, we were eventually able in this country to create laws that ended slavery and established a minimum wage, Social Security, unemployment insurance, environmental responsibility, and workplace safety.

Despite years of progress in our own country on all these issues, we now face a resurgence of child and slave labor, of unsafe working conditions, of sweatshops, and of wanton environmental destruction in the Third World wrought by the very same corporate ethos that resisted for years the progressive gains in the United States. In the interest of profit margins and economic growth, our corporations have reached out to the global economy and found a way to return to 1850 on all of these. issues. Enabled and emboldened by free trade and the protections granted by NAFTA, GATT, and the WTO, we have farmed these problems out to other countries. Amid our booming economy this is an uncomfortable concept to embrace. It certainly is not being written about in our official journals. But it is being shouted on the streets, and the protesters' arguments bear an incontrovertible moral weight. Ralph Nader was the only candidate to talk about these issues and to embrace this new movement as his own. That is why Susan and I voted for him.

Last year's election brought us to an important crossroads. The closeness of the race lifted a rock to expose the corrupt, manipulative, and illegal way in which elections are run in this country. Indeed, the election year's most surreal and humorous moment was when Fidel Castro offered to send observers to monitor our election. Aside from the obvious voter fraud in Florida, a brief spotlight was focused on the racist practices that have accompanied elections for years. Whether it's the roadblocks outside polling places in African-American voting districts or the disappearance of African-American names from voting registers, the ineffective and antiquated voting machines in low-income voting districts or the exposure of the Supreme Court as a partisan political institution, the picture is the same. Powerful people in the American ruling class fear democracy.

There was a time when I would have said that it is the "evil" Republicans who fear democracy. But the sad realization I have come to after the 2000 election, and after experiencing the reactions to our support for Nader, is that you can count the Democrats in that bunch, too. Not only do they fear democracy, but many in the Democratic Party elite fear, if not outright despise, idealism. I have lost a great deal of respect for a party that admonished its progressive wing, that had no tolerance for dissension in its ranks, and sought to demonize the most important and influential consumer advocate of the past fifty years. But we shouldn't be surprised. A similar reaction occurred earlier in this century when another leading advocate, Upton Sinclair, was running for governor of California. The power brokers of the Democratic Party did everything they could to isolate him. If they gave any support at all to his candidacy, it was halfhearted, while some even endorsed his Republican opponent, Frank Merriam. And the press? They demonized him, said he was anti-business, said he was an egomaniac. Sound familiar?

Most of the Nader supporters I met were the real deal, people who have dedicated their lives to advocacy. These were the people at the center of the struggle around controversial, difficult issues; their political engagement was way beyond and deserving of much more respect than that of many people who would wind up criticizing them.

The judgmental and patronizing attitude of those in the generation that fought to end the Vietnam War and work for women's rights is disappointing and discouraging, but understandable. But I am not of the opinion that Bill Clinton was the best this generation had to offer, and I would like to believe there is a dormant power still left in these progressives who have yet to acknowledge the importance of the new movement growing around them. I would like to believe that the children of the Vietnam era who protested that unjust war were concerned with more than self-preservation, with issues beyond not losing their lives to the war. I would like to believe that feminists -- recognizing which gender works predominantly in sweatshops and which gender is predominantly sold into slavery -- would acknowledge these issues as their own, and begin looking beyond reproductive rights as the only litmus test for a candidate. I would like to believe that higher ideals drive all of us, ideals that have to do with the world at large.

The young people who have helped launch a quest for an alternative party, one that will not compromise this planet's future for campaign donations from corporate sugar daddies, believe the Democratic and Republican parties are united on the major issues of our time. This new movement is a rejection of politics as usual, a rejection that has frightening implications when you consider the progressive community's reaction to it. Have we become our parents? Are we the Establishment? Are we now the status quo that so cynically rejects those with ideals and dreams, that says to the idealist that there is no room for that in this election, that one must vote strategically, that we can't afford our dreams, that we must accept the lesser of two evils? The couple in the theater, the op-ed columnist, the Hollywood mogul, and the actor beat their drums once every four years for their candidate and talk about their opponents as if their election will end civilization as we know it. This is a gay op-ed columnist who would not vote for the one candidate who unashamedly supported same-sex marriage; this is a mogul who would not be having any more sleepovers and private screenings in a Republican White House; this is an actor professing to care about the poor who couldn't seem to find his way to the picket line to support his own union's strike.

I don't respect armchair activists. I respect the kids outside the Gap who don't compromise. I'm not ready to cede their idealism and passion' and vision, to compromise their integrity for a Democratic Party that aspires to be centrist, for a Democratic Party that supports the death penalty, that dismantled the welfare system while increasing corporate welfare, that helped create the economic system that tears at the heart of the labor movement.

How embarrassing it must be for Democratic senators that the embodiment of political courage in this country is now a Republican from Vermont. Maybe it's time to stop demonizing people for their political affiliations and to follow the example of the man who risked his political future to follow the voice inside him. To reject politics as usual and follow our grassroots hearts; to form alliances in unlikely places.

It's a long struggle for justice. It is grassroots movements that create real change, and no grassroots movement ever got anywhere compromising its ideals. Real change won't happen at Washington cocktail parties or in the Lincoln Bedroom. It is arduous and messy, and takes relentless agitation. It took over a hundred years of advocacy to eliminate slavery, over a hundred years to put an end to child labor, and over a hundred years to establish the minimum wage. This movement is in its infancy, but it is alive and it's not going away. Its door is wide open to you. It's a frightening threshold to cross but an essential one.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:48 am

APPENDIX K: EAST LIVERPOOL MEETING

On September 27, we went to meet with citizens at East Liverpool Ohio's junior high gymnasiuI11 who had a community experience with Al Gore's environmental record.

For Terri Swearingen, a registered nurse and organizer with the Tri-State Environmental Council, Al Gore's double-talk regarding the location of the giant WTI incinerator provoked dozens of demonstrations and litigation starting in 1992. That was the year when Al Gore campaigned in East Liverpool by the Ohio River and lambasted the incinerator, then under construction. He said it was "unbelievable" to have such a polluting facility in a flood plain, only four hundred yards from an elementary school. "We'll be on your side for a change," he declared, adding that "the Clinton-Gore administration is going to give you an environmental presidency to deal with these problems."

To Swearingen and many residents of East Liverpool, who don't want their families living with daily levels of dioxin, mercury, lead, arsenic, and other toxins, Gore gave them the clear impression that this incinerator would not be given an operating permit. We have supported the people of East Liverpool for several years and understood their subsequent indignation at what they believed was an outright betrayal by Clinton-Gore. It started with Clinton's environmental adviser, Katie McGinty, who met on January 8, 1993, with President George Bush's environmental chief, William Reilly, to discuss transition matters. According to Swearingen, who spoke with him in 1997, Reilly later told McGinty about a number of pending decisions that he, as a courtesy, offered to hold over until the new administration came into office. The test burn permit application by WTI was one of them. McGinty gave him to understand that he could go ahead and issue it. He did and the Clinton administration would soon be saying that their hands were tied by the previous Bush decision.

As Swearingen kept saying, "A lot of days we see the plumes blowing right into the school."

At the junior high gathering, I called on Gore to honor his commitments of 1992 and the subsequent mass of evidence that made his early incredulity over the incinerator's site more urgent. Although I preceded this call with a letter to Gore, there was never any answer, other than a staffer saying to the press that Gore was waiting for a report from the EPA's independent ombudsman. Lo and behold, in mid-October, the ombudsman, Robert J. Martin, reported that the Swiss-owned incinerator was "neither protective of human health and the environment nor of public safety" and recommended that it be shut down for a minimum of six months to allow more reliable testing of health risks. Still, there was no support by Gore for the exposed people of East Liverpool right through Election Day.

The politically-well-connected WTI corporation, which has escaped accountability for its violations and hazards, has a debt to pay the people and children who have had to breathe its emissions. A shutdown order should include, I added, a two-year severance pay for its employees, on whose backs and health it has made sizable profits.

Alonzo Spencer, a retired steel worker and head of the group Save Our Country, opposing the incinerator, said of Gore: "I don't think it's too much to ask to hold a politician to his promise. A man is as good as his word." Well put, about a man who every day told Americans that he "will fight for the people, not the powerful."
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:48 am

SUGGESTED READING

Alinsky, Saul D. Rules for Radicals: A Practical Primer for Realistic Radicals. Vintage Books, 1971.

Baker, Dean, and Mark Weisbrot. Social Security: The Phony Crisis. University of Chicago Press, 1999.

Berman, Daniel M., and John T. O'Connor. Who Owns the Sun?: People, Politics, and the Struggle for a Solar Economy. Chelsea Green Publishing Co., 1996.

Birnbaum, Norman. The Radical Renewal: The Politics and Ideas in Modern America. Pantheon Books, 1998.

Black, Charles 1., Jr. A New Birth of Freedom: Human Rights, Named and Unnamed. Grosset/Putnam, 1997.

Bollier, David, and Joan Claybrook. Freedom from Harm: The Civilizing Influence of Health, Safety and Environmental Regulation. Public Citizen, Democracy Project, 1986.

Brown, Lester. State of the World 2001 (Worldwatch Institute Books). W. W. Norton & Company, 2001. Also published in thirty other languages.

Bullard, Robert D. Unequal Protection: Environmental Justice and Communities of Color. Sierra Club Books, 1994.

Burnham, David. Above the Law: Secret Deals, Political Fixes and Other Misadventures of the U.S. Department of Justice. Scribner, 1996.

Cahn, Edgar S. No More Throwaway People: The Co-Production Imperative. Essential Books, 2000.

Carnoy, Martin, and Derek Shearer. Economic Democracy: The Challenge of the 1980s. M. E. Sharpe, Inc., 1980.

Chomsky, Noam. Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies. South End Press, 1989.

Commoner, Barry. Making Peace with the Planet. Pantheon Books, 1990.

Derber, Charles. Corporation Nation: How Corporations Are Taking Over Our Lives and What We Can Do About It. St. Martin's Griffin, 2000.

Derickson, Alan. Black Lung: Anatomy of a Public Health Disaster. Cornell University Press, 1998.

Drew, Elizabeth. The Corruption of American Politics: What Went Wrong and Why. Overlook Press, 2000.

Durnil, Gordon K. The Making of a Conservative Environmentalist. Indiana University Press, 1995.

Edelman, Peter. Searching for America's Heart: RFK and the Renewal of Hope. Houghton Mifflin, 2001.

Ehrenreich, Barbara. Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America. Metropolitan Books, 2001.

Frank, Thomas. One Market Under God. Doubleday, 2000.

Friere, Paulo. Pedagogy of the Oppressed. Free Press of Glenco, 1963.

Gardner, John W. On Leadership. Free Press, 1990.

Garfinkel, Simson, and Deborah Russell. Database Nation: The Death of Privacy in the 21st Century. O'Reilly & Associates, 2000.

Garland, Anne Witte. Woman Activists: Challenging the Abuse of Power. City University of New York Press, 1988.

Gates, Jeff. Democracy at Risk: Rescuing Main Street from Wall Street. Perseus Press, 2000.

Geoghegan, Thomas. Which Side Are You On?: Trying to Be for Labor When It's Flat on Its Back. Plume, 1992.

Goodwyn, Lawrence. The Populist Moment: A Short History of Agrarian Revolt in America. Oxford University Press, 1978.

Green, Mark, Michael Calabrese, et al. Introduction by Ralph Nader. Who Runs Congress? Viking Press, 1979.

Green, Mark, and Robert Massie. The Big Business Reader: Essays on Corporate America. Pilgrim Press, 1983.

Greider, William. Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of American Democracy. Touchstone Books, 1993.

Harrington, Michael. The Other America: Poverty in the United States. Macmillan & Co., 1997.

Hawken, Paul, Amory Lovins, and Hunter L. Lovins. Natural Capitalism: Creating the Next Industrial Revolution. Back Bay Books, 2000.

Herman, Edward. Corporate Control, Corporate Power. Cambridge University Press, 1981.

Hertsgaard, Mark. Earth Odyssey: Around the World in Search of Our Environmental Future. Broadway Books, 1999.

Hock, Dee. The Chaordic Organization. Berrett-Koehler, 2000.

Isaac, Katherine. Civics for Democracy: A Journey for Teachers and Students. Essential Books, 1992.

Jacobson, Michael F. Marketing Madness: A Survival Guide for a Consumer Society. Westview Press, 1995.

Kim, Jim, et al. Dying for Growth: Global Inequality and the Health of the Poor. Common Courage Press, 2000.

King, Martin Luther, Jr. Why We Can't Wait. Harper & Row, 1963.

Klein, Naomi. No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies. Picador, 2000.

Korten, David C. When Corporations Rule the World. Kumarian Press, 2001.

Kotz, Mary L., and Nick Kotz. A Passion for Equality. W. W. Norton, 1977.

Kwitny, Jonathan. The Crimes of Patriots. Simon & Schuster, 1988.

LaDuke, Winona. All Our Relations. South End Press, 1999.

Lappe, Frances Moore. World Hunger: Twelve Myths. Grove Atlantic, 1986.

Lekachman, Robert. Greed Is Not Enough. Pantheon, 1982.

Levy, Jacques E. Cesar Chavez: Autobiography of La Causa. W. W. Norton, 1975.

Lewis, Charles. Center for Public Integrity. The Buying of the Congress: How Special Interests Have Stolen Your Right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Avon Books, 1998.

Lindblom, Charles. Politics and Markets: The World's Political-Economic System. Basic Books, 1980.

Loeb, Paul R. Soul of a Citizen: Living with Conviction in a Cynical Time. St. Martin's Press, 1999.

Lynd, Alice, and Staughton Lynd. Rank and File: Personal Histories by Working Class Organizers. Monthly Review Press, 1989.

McChesney, Robert. Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communication Politics in Dubious Times. New Press, 2000.

Mills, C. Wright. The Power Elite. Oxford University Press, 2000.

Mintz, Morton, and Jerry S. Cohen. Power, Inc.: Public and Private Rulers and How to Make Them Accountable. Viking Press, 1976.

Mishel, Lawrence, et al. The State of Working America, 2000-2001. Cornell University Press, 2001.

Mokhiber, Russell. Corporate Crime and Violence: Big Business Power and the Abuse of Public Trust. Sierra Club Books, 1988.

Mokhiber, Russell, and Robert Weissman. Corporate Predators: The Hunt for Mega-Profits and the Attack on Democracy. Common Courage Press, 1999.

Monks, Robert A. G. The New Global Investors: How Shareowners Can Unlock Sustainable Prosperity Worldwide. Capstone Publications, 2001.

Nader, Ralph. Unsafe at Any Speed. Twenty-fifth Anniversary Updated Edition. Knightbridge, 1991.

Nader, Ralph, ed. The Consumer and Corporate Accountability. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1973.

Nader, Ralph, Mark Green, and Joel Seligman. Taming the Giant Corporation. W. W. Norton, 1976.

Nader, Ralph, and William Taylor. The Big Boys. Pantheon Books, 1986.

Noble, David. America by Design: Science, Technology and the Rise of Corporate Capitalism. Oxford University Press, 1977.

Phillips, Kevin. The Politics of the Rich and the Poor: Wealth and the American Electorate in the Reagan Administration. Random House, 1990.

Phillips, Peter. Censored 2001: 25 Years of Censored News and the Top Censored Stories of the Year. Seven Stories Press, 2001.

Piven, Frances, and Richard A. Cloward. Poor People's Movements: Why They Succeed, How They Fail. Random House, 1977.

Pollin, Robert. The Living Wage: Building a Fair Economy. New Press, 2000.

Rasor, Dina. The Pentagon Underground. Times Books, 1985.

Rensenbrink, John. Against All Odds: The Green Transformation of American Politics. Leopold Press, 1999.

Ritz, Dean. Program on Corporations, Law & Democracy. Defying Corporations, Defining Democracy: A Book of History and Strategy. Apex Press, 2001.

Robinson, Randall N. The Debt: What America Owes to Blacks. Plume, 2001.

Rosoff, Stephen M., Robert Tillman, and Henry Pontell. Profit Without Honor: White Collar Crime and the Looting of America. Prentice Hall, 1997.

Schlosser, Eric. Fast Food Nation. Houghton Mifflin, 2001.

Schmidt, David. Citizen Lawmakers: The Ballot Initiative Resolution. Temple University Press, 1989.

Schumacher, E. F. Small Is Beautiful: Economics As If People Mattered. HarperCollins, 1991.

Soros, George. The Crisis of Global Capitalism: Open Society Endangered. PublicAffairs, 1998.

Sparrow, Malcolm K. License to Steal: How Fraud Bleeds America's Health Care System. Westview Press, 2000.

Stauber, John, and Sheldon Rampton. Toxic Sludge Is Good for You!: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry. Common Courage Press, 1995.

Teitel, Martin. Genetically Engineered Food: Changing the Nature of Nature. Inner Traditions International, 2001.

Terkel, Studs. Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression. Pantheon, 1970.

Wachsman, Harvey F., and Steven Alschuler. Lethal Medicine: The Epidemic of Medical Malpractice in America. Henry Holt, 1993. Wallach, Lori, and Michelle Sforza. Whose Trade Organization?: Corporate Globalization and the Erosion of Democracy. Public Citizen Inc., 1999.

Wasserman, Harvey. The Last Energy War: The Battle over Utility Deregulation. Common Courage Press, 1999.

West, Cornel. Race Matters. Vintage Books, 1994.

Whittelsey, Frances Cerra, and Marcia Carroll. Why Women Pay More: How to Avoid Marketplace Perils. The New Press, 1993.

Wolfe, Sidney M. Worst Pills, Best Pills: A Consumer's Guide to Avoiding Drug-Induced Death or Illness. Pocket Books, 1999.

Wolff, Edward, and Richard C. Leone. Top Heavy: The Increasing Inequality of Wealth in America and What Can Be Done About It. New Press, 1996.

Woolhandler, Steffie, M.D. Ida Hellander, M.D. and David Himmelstein, M.D. Bleeding the Patient: The Consequences of Corporate Healthcare. Common Courage Press, 200l.

Wylie, Jeanie. Poletown: Community Betrayed. University of Illinois Press, 1989.

Zinn, Howard. A People's History of the United States. HarperColiins, 1995.

A variety of worthwhile information can be found on the following Web pages:

www.citizenworks.org
www.citizen.org
www.essential.org

Magazines/Publications

The Amicus Journal
The Atlantic Monthly
Consumer Reports
Harper's
The Hightower Lowdown
In These Times
Mother Jones
Multinational Monitor
The Nation
The Progressive
The Progressive Populist
Rachel's Environmental & Health News
The Washington Monthly
The Workbook

The following two publications regularly have numerous feature articles on corporate abuses:

Business Week
Wall Street Journal
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:49 am

INDEX

abortion, 244, 249-50, 255-56, 280
ACLU, 15, 222
ACORN, 87, 89
Act Up, 52-53, 102
Acton, Jay, 214