The Maltese Double Cross, directed by Allan Francovich

Possibly better than tootsie rolls, illustrated screenplays are tasty little nuggets of cinematic flavor in a convenient pdf wrapper. Download and read your favorite movie in a quarter of the time it takes to watch it. And you can grab quotes and images.

The Maltese Double Cross, directed by Allan Francovich

Postby admin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:21 am

THE MALTESE DOUBLE CROSS -- ILLUSTRATED SCREENPLAY
directed by Allan Francovich

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

CLICK HERE TO SEE "THE MALTESE DOUBLE CROSS" -- ILLUSTRATED SCREENPLAY
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Maltese Double Cross, directed by Allan Francovich

Postby admin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:39 am

Part 1 of 3

[Transcribed from the movie by Tara Carreon]

[Man] [inaudible]

[Woman] Oh my God, it was terrible, sparks and then the whole thing went down.

U.S. Embassy London

[Martin Cadman, father of victim William Martin Cadman] In February, 1990, with some others from the U.K. families' group, I met the American President's Commission on Aviation Security and Terrorism at the American Embassy. That was in February 1990. And at the end of that meeting, after it had broken up, one of the members of the Commission said to me, "Your government and ours know exactly what happened, but they're never going to tell."

[Narrator] In the beginning, a hand, a bag, and a baggage tag. And a radio that plays cassettes and has on its flipside a bomb.

Most of what we read in the papers is true, but no official party is going to tell you what's true and what isn't true.

[William Barr, U.S. Attorney General, 1991] For three years the United States and Scotland have been conducting one of the most exhaustive and complex investigations in history. Today we are announcing an indictment in the case. We charge that two Libyan officials acting as operatives of the Libyan Intelligence Service, along with other co-conspirators, planted and detonated the bomb that destroyed Pan Am Flight 103. At this moment, Lord Fraser, Chief Prosecutor of Scotland, is announcing parallel charges. I have just phoned the families of some of those murdered in Pan Am Flight 103 to inform them and organizations of survivors that this indictment has been returned and their loss has been ever present in our minds.

[Jafaar Family Member] One of my family, when he goes in the airport, Hourani give him a tape recorder from his sister. He says that's a memory from my sister, don't forget this tape recorder. And he go on the side of him with like a bodyguard to the airport. That's what happened with him, and give him the tape recorder, fix everything for him in Germany. And give it to him at the airport. And he don't know about it.

THE MALTESE DOUBLE CROSS

[James Graham] I was driving going along the road there and I just [inaudible] something, a light in the road, [inaudible] a bog, and when I got into the car I checked them, I thought well it was a luggage, a hold-all, and I chucked everything off the road to get past and I drove back up to the farm, and when I got there [inaudible] in the house, the car, the dog [inaudible] in the road, I found it when I arrived, but when I got back there were shoes, people's shoes and a bust aerosol can, I can remember, [inaudible] it was plain on the doorstep in front of the house. Later on [inaudible] a bloke, a dog and explained what happened, that a plane had crashed. So I went over with him, I think it was about 3:00 in the morning when I got back, and he had the dog and they were looking for somebody, thinking maybe somebody's still alive or something, or whatever. I could really see [inaudible] back to the airplane. And there just seemed to be hundreds of suitcases [inaudible] it seemed like at the time, and also a lot of Christmas presents [inaudible]. And there was nothing wrong with the lock on them, or anything. [Inaudible] I picked a present up and on the card the note said, "Sorry she couldn't be back for Christmas" and I can't explain what it was, but that was really great saddening, to think that the lassie that was sending it, well she'd know she'd never be back.

[Dr. Jim Swire] [Inaudible] and I was actually in my study doing a family [inaudible] with a picture for each month for various people for Christmas and Jane called me through because she'd heard on television about an air crash and my first reaction was that it couldn't have anything to do with Flora because I thought she would have been out in the Atlantic by that time, and in fact we know that the plane being delayed a little bit but I just came through and watched these dreadful pictures of the little town of Lockerbie in flames. And at that time I felt it wasn't Flora's plane.

[Man] [Inaudible.]

[Man] [Inaudible.] There is debris falling everywhere. [Inaudible] And all we could see was fires. [Inaudible] The whole countryside was ablaze.

[Jane Swire] I knew Flora had left that evening for the States. She'd gone to stay with her boyfriend over Christmas. And I switched on the television just to look at it while I made the supper, really. And there was this news flash that there had been a crash in Scotland, of a Pan Am plane and immediately my heart began to pump because I knew she was traveling by Pan Am. I was gripped with that icy cold fear that I think every mother has when her children are in danger.

[Charles Price, U.S. Ambassador, U.K.] This is the most incredible devastation. It's just unbelievable. It's impossible I think to even imagine such an extraordinary tragedy.

[Linda Forsyth, Pam Am Ground Hostess Heathrow] We had an aircraft going out that night, a 727, which was taking various members of our company up to Lockerbie, and also we had a private aircraft to deal with which was the American Ambassador who was going out to the sight.

[Jim Renwick, Pam Am Security London] As far as I can recall, there were about 40 people excluding crew on board of which I would estimate 50% of those were known to me as Pan Am people, the others I wasn't aware of their affiliations at all.

[George Stobbs, Lockerbie Public Inspector] On the [inaudible], I started to set up a control room and by about between 11:00 and midnight we also had a member of the FBI in the office who came in, introduced herself to me and sat down and [inaudible] what was happen.

[Tom Dalyell MP] The local people, Dumfries and Galloway, they were concerned, absolutely swarms of Americans fiddling with bodies, and shall we say tampering with those things that the police were carefully checking themselves. They are not pretending. They said they are from the FBI or the CIA. They were just Americans who seem to have arrived extremely quickly on the scene.

[Dr. David Fieldhouse, Police Surgeon] I was asked to go to various locations in and around Lockerbie to look for bodies. At first, it was in the early hours of the morning and very high winds, about 30-40 mph at ground level. When we'd gone down one large field and identified about 10 bodies, we thought we ought to retrace our steps and put some form of identification on them and so the only thing I had with me was a block of small white labels and 100 or so plastic gloves which I carry at all times because of my usual [inaudible] And so I put a code on every one, DF being my initials and DF1 right through to 58, on the bodies in that particular sector. I learned later that when the bodies were taken to the mortuary, all the labels which I had put on them had been removed with the exception of two. Those two labels were identified on photographs later on but for the rest, every other one had been removed and disregarded.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] Very strange people popped out of the woodwork very early on. Within a matter of three hours there were American accents heard in the town. Over that night, there were large numbers, by which I mean 20, 25, 30 people arrived. The next day, somebody commented the same: That's subtle, there was a whole bevy of people walked down the main street with blue windcheaters and baseball hats with FBI on them. But there were a lot of other Americans in the town over the first twelve hours that weren't wearing FBI windcheaters. I don't know who they are. I know who some of them were, but they certainly weren't tourists.

[Narrator] In the morning, when more cameras have arrived, it is the turn of the dignitaries, a junior prince, and the prime minister herself.

[Prince Andrew] There are bits and pieces of the aircraft. I have spoken to an accident investigator whose first impressions were absolutely stunned. And he'd never come across something quite as [inaudible] and disastrous. I've also been up to the hills to see the cockpit area, and that I think is a high priority for the investigators to see if they can find anything from that.

[Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister] It's been moving indeed because there are a lot of possessions that you can see scattered about. Speculation is not evident and they are systematically obtaining the evidence and systematically searching the [inaudible] people and evidence.

[Prince Andrew] I suppose that statistically something like this has got to happen at some stage all the time. It is most sad and unfortunate that it has had to happen to Lockerbie and of course, so close to Christmas.

[Narrator] The mountain rescue teams with dogs from [inaudible] north and south Yorkshire, Cumbria, were the first to scour the terrain. Members of rescue teams on the site within two hours found Americans already there. The police and military are still prohibited by the British Official Secrets Act from speaking.

[Eric Spofforth, Volunteer Searcher] This helicopter was over flying the area and a chap was looking up in the air with a telescopic sighted rifle which he was probably some secret service man, whatever. It was a white unmarked helicopter which was for all intents and purposes a civilian helicopter [inaudible] stuck in the doorway standing [inaudible] telescopic sighted rifle [inaudible]. [Inaudible].
[James Graham] [inaudible] parked in front of the house. It was constant, every day, for days on end, they were flying over.

[Tom Dalyell, MP] It was thought that it was very odd and strange that so many people should be involved in moving bodies, looking at luggage, who were not members of the investigating force. What were they looking for so carefully? You know, this was not just searching desperately for loved ones. It was far more than that. It was careful examination of baggage and indeed bodies.

[James Graham] Right along there were many Americans [inaudible] I was checking my sheep on the hill at the time, and asked us not to go up near [inaudible] because, so I just presumed they were looking for something. But I just steered clear of their way.

[Eric Spofforth, Volunteer Searcher] I had to store about two suitcases full of money [inaudible] I didn't see any.

[David Ben Arycah, Journalist] Well, the cockpit was like the head of some mortally wounded bird, was instantly recognizable as a cockpit. And as daylight broke on the first cool day of the disaster the bodies were in an arc right around the hills that formed the [inaudible]. And they were well spread out. It was soft ground. A lot of them had made indentations, and even a year afterwards, the animals wouldn't graze where the bodies had landed. It was as if they knew that something very terrible [inaudible] had happened there.

[Dr. Jim Swire] I rang up a number of times and said who I was and eventually I developed a good relationship over the telephone with one of the doctors who was doing the post mortems. And it was he who arranged for me to see her body. I think very much counter to the instructions he'd been given. But he undertook to have the body put somewhere I could see it, identify it. And he was extremely kind to me when I went in to see the body. One thing I wanted was a lock of hair and [inaudible] memories, so he went away and got a pair of scissors and cut me a lock of hair.

[David Ben Arycah, Journalist] There was no official announcement. The first seven bodies were released to be taken by road south to London for onward transportation to the relatives. And I'll never forget it. All of a sudden, the main streets in Lockerbie was full of people. They were standing three-deep on the pavement. Not a word was said. They stood quietly to bid farewell, to pay their respect to seven dead victims. And I say it was one of the most moving things I've ever seen in 40-odd years. It was very beautiful. And it was proper.

[Emma Pringle?, Lockerbie resident] We got a message I think about 6:00 that night that to see that the first bodies were being taken out of the town. And by this clock, if possible, could we go down the street to show our respect. So a lot of people, I don't know, maybe 300 of the locals lined the streets [inaudible] came around the town hall with the bodies and it was really very very upsetting to see them going away. Yes. It was nice that they were going home. But it was sad that they had to go home in such circumstances.

[Priest] We thank the Love that our dead brothers and sisters [inaudible] and we recall with faith the words of St. Paul, "Love does not come to an end." Father, we thank you for that indestructible love that came into our life and will remain with us forever. Amen.

[Charles Price, U.S. Ambassador, U.K.] Your brother will rise again. I know that he will rise again said Martha. Do you believe this? I do, she answered. I now believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God who is to come into the world. Thanks be to God for his gospel.

[Narrator] And so for these dead that had fallen out of the sky into Scotland, a first memorial service, a winter January morning, Martha's story read in the presence of the Iron Lady. Over the motor ferry, on the road to Lockmaven, in the village graveyard, all dead is local. On the stones, there is even the street, High Street for instance, [inaudible] Rogerson, for instance died, generation buried with generation, grandmother with grandson, father with stillborn daughter.

But there also are other deaths recorded. Here wanderers away at war, away earning and saving, brought home, sent home from Gallipoli, killed in action, Gaza, dead of wounds, South and East Africa, [inaudible] Province of Alberta, and Calcutta. So they know that what these other dead had and owned is all that will ever be left of what they were and that it must all be folded up and put away.

WE CAN GIVE YOU 4 MILLION REASONS TO STOP TERRORISM

[Narrator] 1993. Before the Fifth anniversary. Still an offer, a $4 Million reward for terrorists.

[USA TODAY: Wanted: Tips on Terrorist]
A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY.

[Narrator] After the third anniversary, two governments had issued indictments against two Libyans. Why did the government then now paying for this newspaper advertisement? For the third, the fourth, and now a fifth memorial, the governments seemed to hope the the memorials would go on and on and on, year after year, until all that is left is a fading memory clanging in a belfry tower.

21st December 1993 Westminster Abbey

[Rev. John Mosey, Father of Helga Mosey] Why has a full independent inquiry been consistently refused? Why, after five years have no real answers been supplied?

[Jane Swire] Elia Stratis, Anthony Swan, Flora Swire, James Smith, Mary Smith, Geraldine Stevenson, Hannah Stevenson, John Stevenson, Rachael Stevenson, Charlotte Stinnett, Michael Stinnett, Stacey Stinnett.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] Over five years, a very disturbing story has emerged about warnings. A well-respected international journalist, David Yallop, had interviewed Abu Nidal, who had warned him that there was going to be an attack on an American airliner. Yallop flew immediately back to London and notified the British authorities, MI-6.

[Narrator] Abu Nidal, mastermind of the Rome and Vienna airport massacres, now trying to stop more killings.

[David Yallop] I was in Libya to interview Gaddafi and Abu Nidal and a group of other people. I had a conversation with a man named Brian Crozier who was an asset for the CIA and MI6 and I had been asked by him to ask three or four specific questions of Nidal. Nidal had told me that he was being put under great pressure by the Syrians to reactivate against an American target. I typed out an 8-page report -- I have a copy of here -- in which I talk about the pressure being put on Nidal by both Syria and Iraq at that time to resume terror tactics. And I then elaborated beyond the report specifically with regard to the pressure from Syria and to a potential American target. I was insistent that this information -- this was by the way given not just to Crozier but to a senior member of MI6 by myself -- that this was to be shared with the CIA, and to be shared with them immediately.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] After that, there was a warning to the American Embassy in Helsinki. Frighteningly specific. A woman would carry a bomb on board an American airliner at Frankfurt heading for New York. That was circulated. Again, through Interpol, and again through the American State Department warning system.

[Jim Renwick, Pam Am Security London] In the buildup prior to the tragedy, there were a number of warnings that came out through the FAA and various other agencies. One particular one that was of interest to me was the Helsinki warning which I first had knowledge of I believe it was on the morning of the 8th of December.

[Charles Price, U.S. Ambassador, U.K.] We did indeed receive on December 9th an advisory based on an untested source in terms of reliability. That information was disseminated throughout this embassy, and we advised all appropriate British authorities including all American carriers.

[Jim Renwick, Pam Am Security London] I had received a telex -- I was in Brussels actually that year on the morning -- and I received a telex from headquarters that I was to go to Helsinki and that I was to get further information from my colleague in Frankfurt who I telephoned, and I subsequently came back to London and made arrangements to travel to Helsinki later that day.

[Charles Price, U.S. Ambassador, U.K.] It was an unidentified caller that apparently made the phone call to our embassy in Helsinki.

[Jim Renwick, Pam Am Security London] I got the impression from the person I was discussing it with that it had been fairly checked out and was considered to be a hoax.

[U.S. State Department Spokesperson] We receive dozens of threats each day. We always take them seriously. In this case, we took action immediately.

[Pentagon Spokesperson] We were notified of it. It was circulated to all the appropriate commands. To anticipate your next question, no, as far as I can determine at this point, it was not posted on bulletin boards.

[David Yallop] Almost at the same time as I was talking to these two secret agents here in London, a warning had come from Helsinki that talked of the bombing of a Frankfurt-bound plane, and that other warnings were even more specific and talked of Pan Am 103. And what amused me was that all of us had in our own way given pieces of a very crucial puzzle to the Intelligence which they had chosen to ignore. Or so it seemed. It subsequently became apparent to me from further inquiries that they hadn't ignored them, and that a number of VIPs were pulled off that plane, a number of Intelligence operatives were pulled off that plane.

[Oswald Le Winter, CIA 1968-85] The South Africans, particularly Pik Botha, were booked on Flight 103, and changed pretty much at the last hour or so. These South Africans had been warned by the Bureau of State Security to change reservations.

[Narrator] The South Africans booked on Flight 103 canceled just before departure along with Pik Botha, General Mallon, a defense minister, and General Van Tonda, head of the Secret Service, Botz? and other senior government officials. Botha, Mallon and Van Tonda confirmed this change in travel arrangement to British businessman Tiny Rowlands. They tell him the source of the information was of the kind that could not be dismissed. Botha rebooks on the earlier Pan Am 101. General Van Tonda and two other members of of Botz? cancel their trip altogether.

[Oswald Le Winter, CIA 1968-85] Botz? had close ties to two very important services: to the Israeli service and also to the American, to the Central Intelligence Agency.

[President George Bush] Sometimes by going public you give undue attention to what the terrorists wants to call attention to. But if you won't be offended, if we have specific information that a specific site was going to be specifically targeted and that information had any credibility to it, then I think widespread notices should be given and people should well know that they are putting their lives at risk.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] If you count them out, there have been at least eight warnings to the Western Intelligence authorities, whether they were British, American or German. What did they need? A signed confession on a postcard?

[Dr. Jim Swire] I remember that Flora had been told she would be unlikely to get a seat on that flight because it was so near Christmas the plane would be full. But the plane was nothing like full. Flora bought a ticket just a couple of days before she flew. Now, if that came about because the others who would have filled the plane had been warned, what does that say about the system? It says that the warning was widely known, that a lot of people had heard it, a lot of people acted on it, it was only the [inaudible] who weren't on the inside of this system that's supposed to protect innocent people who actually climbed aboard that plane.

[Jane Swire] She got on that plane really as a lamb to the slaughter. She walked up into that aircraft believing as anyone should, might, that she was going to be safely transported to America.

[Narrator] Neuss muB leben, others might die but Neuss must live. There were more than warnings. In Neuss, near Frankfurt, before the destruction of Pan Am 103, a bomb-making terrorist cell associated with a Syrian-backed terrorist, Ahmed Jibril, had been discovered. The good burghers cross over the canal. The motor barge putters through oil splotches, past the Gantry cranes. Here, only the water is bad. The phone booth, still there at the end of the street. Is there somebody in it? Has someone been warned? Has someone been told to run away? One terrorist cell, two terrorist cells, three terrorist cells. How long before? How long after?

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] On the 8th of December, 1988, the anniversary of the intifada, units of the Society of Golani, the Golani Brigade, the SAS of the Israeli Defense Forces raided a PFLP-GC base in Southern Lebanon, a base called [inaudible]. It was an extensive base: miles of underground tunnels, underground bunkers, one of which was Ahmed Jibril's headquarters in Southern Lebanon.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] The group you referred to was a clandestine cell of the PFLP-GC, the Ahmed Jibril group, that had been sent to Germany to set up an operation, several operations as a matter of fact, directed against both the Americans and other Western targets. That group had been set up in the aftermath of the American shootdown of the Iranian Airbus in July 1988.

[Narrator] Bodies float in the Persian Gulf. Iranians on a flight to Mecca shot out of their Airbus by an American warship.

[Abolhassan Bani Sadr, President of Iran, 1979-81] It was a crime. To the Iranians it was a crime. The people of Iran saw it as a crime. Shooting down an airplane, killing almost 300 people is a crime. The people of Iran [illegible]. [Illegible] there would have been legal proceedings. A lot of fuss would have been made all around the world. But here they destroyed the aircraft and then congratulated themselves. They even gave a medal to the officer who fired the missile at the plane.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] After the downing of the Iranian aircraft by the Vincennes, everybody expected a revenge. The Iranians had to religiously avenge what had happened. It was clear that they would teach the Americans a lesson that they can duplicate what the Americans have done to them. It was only a question of time where an American airline, a courier, it doesn't have to be a Pan Am specifically, would be downed in retaliation.

[Charles Price, U.S. Ambassador, U.K.] Revenge just creates additional problems, doesn't it? I mean after all this incident wouldn't have happened if Iran wasn't and hadn't been in the process now for a long time of attacking U.S. and other shipping in the gulf.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] We put all the ingredients into perspective and we realized that it has to be a terrorist network that has experience in that matter. Iran would never do it directly, they would pay $10 million to a terrorist network that knew how to go about it, and the contract was out. It was known at the time that there is a contract for $10 million to down an American airline.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] Germany received a very specific warning that Ahmed Jibril's right hand man, Hafez Kassem Dalkamoni and a known bombmaker, Marwan Khreesat, were heading for Germany.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] Following these contacts between Jibril and the Iranians, a clandestine PFLP-GC cell was set up in Neuss, Germany. And their master bombmaker, one who had developed a lot of improvised explosive devices for Jibril in the past, was also sent to Germany to work on assembling such devices. One of the targets investigated determined in the aftermath of that group's arrest was going to be an American aircraft.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] The BKA, the German Criminal Police, mounted a surveillance operation in Frankfurt, and in October, 1988, Operation Autumn Leaves, arrested 17 people. They found a massive amount of weaponry, explosives, timing devices and most significantly in the car that was being driven by Dalkamoni in which Khreesat was a passenger a Toshiba bombbeat radio cassette recorder with a primed bomb inside it designed to blow up aircraft.

[Abolhassan Bani Sadr, President of Iran] Dalkamoni spent most of the time in Tehran. He is also an officer in the Syrian Secret Service. Iran ordered the attack and Ahmed Jibril carried it out. With collaboration from the diplomatic missions.

[Narrator] Marwan Khreesat and Hafez Dalkamoni on October 26, 1988 after a shopping spree buying electronic components, the buying binge filmed by German Secret Police are in this phone booth on Haffenstrasse? where they are arrested. Earlier the BKA have been listening to the international line as Khreesat from another phone had told Damascus, "I have made some changes in the medicines. It is better and stronger." When taken to BKA headquarters, Khreesat insists he be allowed to make a phone call. He does. He is released soon afterwards and flies to Jordan.

[Oswald Le Winter, CIA 1968-85] I had spoken to a reporter, a German reporter who refuses to go on camera, but who is very close to federal intelligence sources here in Germany who assured me that Khreesat was an agent of the Jordanian service, and an asset of the Central Intelligence Agency.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] Take Marwan Khreesat for example, who was a bomb maker, who served Jibril and other terrorist networks for years. He was also reporting for years his activities to Israel, Jordan, some other countries' intelligence departments.

[Oliver "Buck Revell," FBI Head of Lockerbie Investigation] The Germans did not believe they had sufficient evidence directly linking him at the time. So that was an internal judicial decision within the German government. He obviously continued to be a suspect for us and for the British authorities, as well as for the German authorities, the BKA. I personally spoke to the President of the BKA, Dr. Boga?, and he assured me that they were going to continue an all-out effort to identify everyone involved with this Jibril group inside of Germany.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] There are times that to keep an agent who has been groomed for so many years and so much effort has been put in and even if he brings the type of information that clearly indicates that there is a bomb going to go on board or there is a bomb going to go off in a public place, you must sometime let it go.

[Oswald Le Winter, CIA 1968-85] Pressure had come from Bonn, from the U.S. Embassy in Bonn to release Khreesat.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] Well Ahmed Jibril was reported to have said that the barometric detonator bombs were to be used on attacks on Israeli bases at the top of mountains. I don't know of any Israeli bases over 10,000 feet and the triggers were all programmed to become active at over 10,000 feet of altitude. So they could only have been meant to attack planes.

[Ahmed Jibril] This device could be used in a number of different ways. True, it is used to make explosions in high places, but it is possible to put this device in a car at sea level and if this car is driven to the top of a mountain, an explosion will take place. This mechanism is not unrelated to airplanes. Experts are well aware of the fact that this device could be used for many purposes.

[Narrator] In April 1989, four months after the destruction of Pan Am Clipper Maid of the Seas, six months after the October arrests of Khreesat and Dalkamoni, the German police raid 16 Isarstrasse in Neuss, Hashem Abassi. That raid will lead to the discovery of three other Khreesat-manufactured bombs concealed in electronic devices in cold storage at a vege stand owned by Abassi. A fourth bomb is never found and there are rumors of a fifth. These bombs are so sophisticated the top German bomb expert is killed trying to disarm one. The German government will never request the extradition of Marwan Khreesat. The Scottish Police will never be allowed to talk to Khreesat. Nor will the Scottish Police ever be told the details of what Khreesat told the FBI Supervisory Agent Tom Thurman, Special Agent Edward Marshman when the FBI talked to him on November 12 and 13, 1989.

A journalist secretly interviews the bomb maker. To him Khreesat confirms that he had made airplane bombs for Jibril, had been sent to Germany on a revenge mission, and that he was a secret agent. So as the aircraft that was blown apart is put back together, rivets inspected, how a jumbo jet [inaudible] demonstrated by [inaudible] terrorists and bombs have already been found. Terrorists have been set free. A bomb has vanished. The finger points somewhere. Syria and Iran. That somewhere soon becomes nowhere.

March 1989. Paul Channon, the British Minister of Transport, in a London Club, tells five journalists that the Pan Am case has been solved. Arrests are imminent. Banner headlines in the tabloids. The next day, named as the source, the Minister denies he ever talked and soon afterwards resigns.

An American columnist, Jack Anderson, reports in his column on a conversation between Margaret Thatcher and George Bush. Who should they blame?

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council Senior Director] I read the Anderson column. I find it a little hard to believe that two heads of state would make a unilateral decision such as he reports exonerating governments who are documented state sponsors of terrorism of having anything to do with the Pan Am 103 event, especially given the intelligence information, some of which I know has been corroborated which clearly links the bombing to them.

3 December 1989: Lockerbie trial for 'bomb man'
The paymaster, the bomber and the bungling Germans

[Narrator] One Sunday, David Leppard, Sunday Times Ace investigator, even announces he and The Times have solved the case, a story that changes when Mr. Leppard writes a Lockerbie book.

[David Yallop] In the middle of 1989, some six or seven months after Pan Am 103 blew up, when Secretary of State Baker was in Damascus, they had a meeting with the Syrian foreign minister and at that meeting Baker said, "What are you doing about the GLC group? And the foreign minister didn't quite understand. He said who are you talking about. He said the Jibril group. So he said, what about them? He said, "They are responsible for Lockerbie. What are you doing about them?" He said, "How do you know that they are responsible?" He said, "We have the evidence, and the evidence is irrefutable." Now that was seven months after 270 people were murdered in Scotland. I want to know why that irrefutable evidence has never been made public. I also want to know how it has now changed dramatically to suddenly be put at Tripoli's door rather than Damascus's door.

[Narrator] The sea and a city trying to get to sleep. Beirut, no, there are not enough rooms. Tripoli. From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli. Every fleet marine knows the words to the marine hymn. Oliver North, Lt. Col. U.S. Marine Corp., his commander-in-chief the Hon. Ronald Reagan, always and still keeping the sleep of the just as he had in cabinet meetings, had his three presidential obsessions: hostages, contras and Gaddafi. Ollie worked with Vince, Vincent Cannistraro on a program that was meant to destroy the Gaddafi regime. Vincent Cannistraro will later head the CIA's investigation into Lockerbie. Bob Woodward in the front pages of the Washington Post using top secret documents leaked to him from the National Security Council wrote about the program. Deception and disinformation.

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council, Senior Director 1985-1987] Mr. Cannistraro and myself were the coordinators of Libya policy within the NSC and did have a direct role in coordinating the papers written by State, but then put from the CIA in the Department of Defense and other agencies that all had a role.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] I developed the policy towards Libya. In fact, I wrote the draft paper that was later adopted by the President.

[Narrator] Clouded stories. Fabricated stories. Stories that were meant to spin the world around: Crazy Gaddafi. Flaky Gaddafi. Killer Gaddafi. The climax of the Vince and Ollie show was to be kept very very quiet. It does have a name.

State Dept. Plan Urged Libya Coup

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] I worked next to Ollie for about two years. And he was a man that would do anything to achieve the objective he was working on. First he considered it the most important thing in the world, and secondly, he would use any means whether than meant lying, even to his friends, to manipulating people. He would do anything to achieve the goal.

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council, Senior Director 1985-1987] There was intelligence information which could not be absolutely confirmed that Gaddafi was indeed interested in killing President Reagan. It is true that since then people have argued that this was a fabrication by CIA director Casey. Of course, with Casey dead, no one can know for sure what was Casey's agenda and whether indeed this information was fabricated.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] Oliver North was one of the principal proponents of the bombing of Tripoli in 1986, and as we understand now, did manipulate the press, talked quite freely with a lot of media people and had no compunctions about providing false information.

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council, Senior Director 1985-1987] It is certain that Gaddafi sent people who worked for him, Libyans and others, into the United States to kill Libyan dissidents. There is no question about that. Whether some people may have twisted the information that dealt with those individuals into stories alleging a conspiracy against President Reagan, it may be true or it may not be true.

[Narrator] The airplanes gather in silence, even if the afterburners are at full thrust as they always have been during every long war that waxes hot and cold. The affable ally, the lady never keeps the gentleman waiting for long. The bombs and planes are American. The British provide only the pavement. That way, these two very special partners can again skirt the rest of Europe, lady and gentleman waiting, pilot, cues and bomb all waiting. If the wait is too long, a pretext can always be created.

In 1986, La Belle disco in Berlin bombed. Libya is like magnetic north. The finger always points there. After the rubble settles in Berlin, Tripoli and Van Garden?, the evidence implicating Libya goes up in smoke.

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council, Senior Director 1985-1987] We were able through technical intelligence means in almost real time to intercept communications between the Libyan's People's Bureau in Germany and the Intelligence Headquarters in Tripoli which stated very clearly that a terrorist act had just been perpetrated against an American target as had been directed and as far as the United States government was concerned, this was ample proof and justification for the retaliation which ensued.

[Ronald Reagan] My fellow Americans, at 7:00 this evening Eastern time, air and naval forces of the United States launched a series of strikes against the headquarters of terrorist facilities and military assets that support Muammar Gaddafi's [inaudible]. The attacks were concentrated and were carefully targeted to minimize casualties among the Libyan people with whom we had no quarrel.

[Libyan Man] [Inaudible]

[Libyan Man] [Inaudible] They have about 5,000 [inaudible]. Now we have the right to kill them. Right now.

[Libyan Man] [Inaudible] kill just the citizens. Not military, not military counts.

[David Yallop, Author] I saw the effects of that bombing when I first came. I talked to some of the relatives of people that had died, I talked to some of the people that had been injured, the Libyan people. I went walking around the ruins of the French Embassy, the German Embassy, and they were very Catholic with their bombing, the Americans [inaudible] they hit it.

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council, Senior Director 1985-1987] The strikes that were conducted against the Azizyah barracks were targeted on the Azizyah barracks. And at no time am I aware of any directive or action that was taken directly by the United States that could be described as an assassination attempt. I know that some have accused the Reagan administration, and indeed some journalists have accused me personally of trying to arrange for the assassination of Gaddafi. Those accusations are false and without merit.

[David Yallop, Author] The only building they hit inside the Azizyah barracks where Gaddafi was, which is a huge area, I mean they are talking something about the size of St. James' park [58 acres], only one building was hit, it was a two-story building which was Gaddafi's private residence. There is no doubt in my mind it was a contract, it was a target to hit one floor on that.

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council, Senior Director 1985-1987] At no time did any document call for action that could be defined as an assassination attempt against the life of Colonel Gaddafi. Not that many people in the United States would have been unhappy to see Col. Gaddafi leave the scene but at no time did our policy direct that that be a tactic or strategy that we sought to implement.

[David Yallop] I established that Reagan who is on American TV at 7:00 in the evening, eastern standard time, to explain the attack that had just occurred at 2:00 in the morning over Libya had to have his autocue changed, because initially it was justifying the killing of Gaddafi, and of course, that hadn't happened so then it had to be wiped off the autocue.

[Narrator] A cluster bomb casing. The stenciled warranty where to return if defective in manufacture. Bomblets. The wing wheel of an F-11. The pilots' helmets left behind as if the whooping pilots had thrown them off after a wild pucking ride. The only thing missing that was not made of metal, the 15-month-old girl that died in the ruins, Muammar Gaddafi's adopted daughter.

[President Ronald Reagan] I have no illusion that tonight's action will ring down the curtain on Gaddafi's reign of terror but this mission, violent though it was, can bring closer a safer and more secure world for decent men and women. We will persevere.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] The policy basically was to confront the Libyans and it did lead to military confrontation with the Libyans.

[Oswald Le Winter, CIA 1968-85] What is that famous saying about bringing the fox to be in charge of the chicken coop? You know, for Vincent Cannistraro to be put in charge of investigating Lockerbie would be funny if it weren't an obscenity.

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council, Senior Director 1985-1987] Vince was quite aware of what was going on in Syria. He was quite aware of the Iranian dimension and the Iraqi dimension and their role in state-sponsored terrorism. What emerged in U.S. policy was the tendency to be able to most directly deal with Libya because of Libya's geographic proximity to Europe and the United States as opposed to Iraq, Iran or Syria, was much more difficult to deal with the other countries.

[Oswald Le Winter, CIA 1968-85] Cannistraro is not interested in investigating Lockerbie. I believe Cannistraro was put in charge to make sure that the Lockerbie case goes in a specific direction because he wasn't put in charge immediately. As long as at the beginning they were willing to blame Syria and Iran, Cannistraro had nothing to do with Lockerbie. As soon as it shifted to Libya, then they brought in of course the Libyan dirty tricks expert to oversee the investigation.

[Howard Teicher, U.S. National Security Council, Senior Director 1985-1987] The Syrian support for terrorism was much more circumspect. The Syrians were much more capable of concealing their direct role. The Iraqis had been taken off the list of countries that supported terrorism at the direction of CIA director Casey in early 1982 in order to facilitate the U.S. tilt towards Iraq. But the Iranians, because of their geographic proximity, while clearly an acknowledged sponsor of terrorism, were very active, particularly in Lebanon, but elsewhere around the world were also hard for the United States to reach.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] I think the Scottish police did an outstanding job. Some of it has been documented. I think the FBI in particular, their explosives experts and their forensic experts, also did an outstanding job. I think on both sides of the Atlantic, it was probably the largest criminal investigation in the history of both countries.

[Oliver "Buck Revell," FBI Head of Lockerbie Investigation] The crime scene work that was done not only in the small town of Lockerbie but throughout almost all of Southern Scotland and much of Northern England, the very minute detail of collecting all the bits and pieces of evidence, the bringing together of military and civilian and law enforcement and foreign agencies as well, I think was a remarkable accomplishment on the part of the Scottish police and the English authorities that were backing them up, Scotland Yard and their military and others.

[Chief Supt. John Orr, Scottish police, head of Investigation] Approximately 10,000 items of baggage and other artifacts have been recovered in the widespread [inaudible] extending from Lockerbie to the Kielder Forest and Cumbria. These articles are thoroughly being evaluated for evidentiary purposes. [Inaudible] officers forming part of this investigation are involved in joint inquiries with their respective colleagues in West Germany and the United States of America.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] All of the major developments in the case were provided by the criminal investigators. The principal evidence that led to identification of a foreign role in an act of terrorism was forensic evidence recovered by the Scot's police at Lockerbie themselves. Investigators and townspeople on their hands and knees crawling along the countryside picking up minute bits of debris. And one of those bits of debris turned out to be a microchip which was analyzed forensically, then led to the Libyan connection.

[Narrator] God sometimes speaks to detectives in mysterious ways. After two years, sometime in those two years, after two Scottish winters, surviving wind, mist and snow in the 850 square miles moor and forest land where 150 mile headwinds had scattered wreckage, a miracle, a clue, found -- they say -- near the Kielder pine forest where it is as dark as it must have been before time began with the first big bang.

[David Clark, volunteer searcher] There were some areas which were very densely forest which we couldn't penetrate and that area was ignored. You then got into the areas of woodland that had been thinned where debris had been in trees and dropped to the forest floor. And that was cleared wherever we could by getting access. There was nothing cleared out of the high trees.

[Bobby Ingram, volunteer searcher] The criteria for finding things with burn marks and scratch marks on was to keep those items separate and hand them in as a separate item at the end of the day so they could be specifically identified and checked out in priority to all the debris that would be sorted out at a later date. And we did in fact find one item, about the size of a postcard, that was a piece of material with the evidence of burn marks ate a whole right through it.

[David Clark, volunteer searcher] We were really taught to bring whatever we could back which we could get out easily. Then anything in the high canopy was left, and the remainder it was cleared.

[Narrator] On the Scottish moors the mist comes in near the ground, but in the pine woods where the tiny bit of microchip rested until found, even the mist is invisible.

[Dennis Kline, FBI Investigator] Tom and I were associates in the explosive unit. We worked together in that unit. He was assigned the case as the case agent for the FBI, the forensic examiner, if you will. And it was Tom's responsibility to organize and collect all this evidence, analyze it as well as other people from RARDE [Royal Armament Research & Development Establishment], the British side of the forensic investigation, and to coordinate the results of their analysis and examination to identify these components, reconstruct the bomb, and provide these leads which were so essential.

[Narrator] Intrepid Tom Thurman of the FBI had, in 1989, interviewed Neuss bombmaker Khreesat. Never sharing what he was told with the Scottish police. This time, before he could act, he had to be helped by two English counterparts, forensic experts from RARDE. The first to see the importance of the extraordinarily eventful forensic find, one, the curious doctor, Alan Faraday, who has had one terrorist case he investigated thrown out on appeal, with others under legal scrutiny.

[Dr. Michael Scott] [Inaudible] finding things about Alan Faraday as an expert witness is that he has no formal academic qualifications whatsoever. The only qualification he has is that, a technician's qualification, I suppose you would call it, a higher national certificate, in [inaudible] and electronics for thirty years that he did. So no, he's not a doctor and I would even go so far as to say he's not a scientist in the accepted sense. The first time I encountered him giving evidence was in the trial of Daniel McNamee, an Irish person who was in the [inaudible]. He was up on a bomb making charge. I was, because of some previous court experience, I was asked to come along and to watch the proceedings. I was on the public gallery. And I watched Faraday. And I gradually became aware that he was giving the evidence a certain emphasis that really wasn't justified, the technique couldn't be justified.

[Narrator] Thomas Hayes, the second English forensic expert, an actual real chemist, has his own terrorist associations, the Maguire Seven, associated with Gerry Conlon, convicted of kneading TNT in their bathroom in part because of Hayes' scientific evidence. The Maguires spent 63 years in prison.

[Alastair Logan] The evidence was entirely forensic in nature. There was no other evidence at all. They made no confessions. In fact, they consistently denied any involvement in any terrorist activity or handling any such material. Dr. Hayes had carried out a test on gloves belonging to Mrs. Maguire on a second occasion, and had detected the presence of nitroglycerin on that test. So he was not actually a primary witness. He was a secondary witness [inaudible]. But his role during the course of the trial as a chemist, and a qualified chemist whereas the others who were giving evidence had no formal qualifications but had worked in the fields of explosives detection for many years. His role was to reinforce what was being said and to provide the explanations that the court needed in order to be able to comprehend the nature of the prosecution case against these people.

[Dr. Michael Scott] Alan Faraday maintained wrongly in my view that the electronics was intrinsically sinister. For example, the tiny little board with [inaudible] fired chip on it, an utterly innocuous item, he would maintain had been specifically designed as instructed for bombmaking purposes, the implication being that anyone who handled or had any involvement whatsoever to do with this tiny little circuit board would have knowingly been involved, had to be knowingly involved in bomb construction.

[Alastair Logan] They were all saying the same thing. They were all saying that the test was specific. They were all saying that there wasn't enough sample to run a second test. They were all saying that there was no other substance known to them that could be confused with nitroglycerin. And I frankly do not believe that all of them could have been saying that if they hadn't put their heads together to say it. Because all of them were saying something that they knew and must have known was a lie. The only logical explanation for the pattern of conduct in not revealing all of these things that should have been revealed including the tests that they had secretly carried out in their laboratory in order to determine their theories which had in fact been supportive of the defense case and not their own, is that they were engaged in a giant conspiracy which resulted in these people being convicted.

[Dr. Michael Scott] Well, I haven't seen the Lockerbie evidence so I can't comment on that directly. The involvement of Alan Faraday -- um -- that worries me. Particularly my experience in the Gibraltar case, what struck me as sad at the time, very strongly, the British government employees hundreds of people, extraordinarily well qualified in the areas of radio communication and electronics. Alan Faraday is not qualified, yet they use him. I mean, I have to ask the question, "Why?"

[Thomas Thurman, FBI Forensic expert] On June 15th of 1989, 1990, yeah, 1990, was the day that I made identification. And I knew at that point what it meant. And, because if you will, I'm an investigator as well as a forensic examiner, I knew where that would go. That at the point we had no conclusive proof of the type of timing mechanism that was used in the bombing of 103. When that identification was made of the timer, I knew that we had it.

[Narrator] The forest find leads to Zurich where money grows in banks where the hand that steals is not cut off, just grows other hands. To this man, Edwin Bollier.

[Edwin Bollier] Scottish and American FBI officers came to Switzerland. They showed us a photograph of the fragment of a timer. They asked if it was a timer from the O-series, of the first series from an MST13 timer. They explained that in 1986 seven of these timers were confiscated in Dakar and later on in Senegal from two Libyans. I immediately recognized from the photo that the fragment of the timer found in Lockerbie was without a doubt from a timer that we ourselves had made.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] Libyan Intelligence provided MEBO with an order, they provided the specification and an order for the production of a certain number of timers that are used in explosive devices of what are called IEDs, Improvised Explosive Devices.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:39 am

Part 2 of 3

[Edwin Bollier] They say that this bomb was in a Toshiba radio. In this casting, at least, there wouldn't have been any room in the radio. But if you took the radio out. I don't know. Maybe.

[Thomas Thurman, FBI Forensic expert] A magnification of that circuit board which is here, you can see it's a very large magnification, has a partially obliterated marking. And through investigation we determined that this actually is MEBO. Initially we thought that it might be another number, like M580 and a number of leads were sent out to electronic manufacturers to see if they had made this board. And they said no, that that was not their identification, so the last thing that we determined, which was the right thing, was that it was MEBO. We had some inkling that that's what it was from the beginning, but we didn't want to say, okay that it's MEBO to the exclusion of anything else until we were absolutely certain.

[Edwin Bollier] Afterwards when we heard that a fragment had been found in the tragic Lockerbie accident, I wanted to save this piece. In 1990 or 1991, I spent a whole week with the FBI because I wanted to see the actual fragment. They then told me they didn't have it, that the Scottish police had it. So I spent a whole week with the Scottish police but they refused to show me the piece. They only showed me a photograph.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] The forensics determined that the microchip found in the debris in Lockerbie came from one of those timers produced by MEBO. They were able to trace it to this certain lot that Libyan Intelligence had purchased from them.
[Edwin Bollier] The FBI officer said that this could be explained. Three of his people had sworn that they had found this piece in a piece of a coat and had signed a paper to this effect. I later heard it said that it was the Scottish police who had found the piece in a shirt that came from Malta.

[Narrator] So the FBI were telling Mr. Bollier they had three men in Scotland in place constantly for two years when every piece was found because how could they have known beforehand what was important. Then the Scottish police tell him that none of that is true. They in fact found the smoking timer themselves in a shirt from Malta. Two years after his mountain rescue team had searched the Kielder Forest for two brief but terrible Christmas weeks -- that is how long the main search really went on -- Bobby was asked by the police to sign a statement saying he had found things, including things he could not even identify.

[Bobby Ingram, volunteer searcher] Approximately two years after the search had finished, I received a phone call from a policeman in Lockerbie itself asking if he could come down to the hall and bring with him certain bags containing some evidence that was of an important nature and would I sign to say that I picked those up or [inaudible] of my party had picked those up [inaudible]. He brought with him three small bags about the size of a [inaudible] piece of paper, one of which contained an item of cloth, one of which contained a brown piece which looked very much like a piece of cloth of suitcase, and the third item, I just don't know what it was.

[Narrator] Then the trail blurs further. Other countries in fact have the same timers.

[Edwin Bollier] I didn't remember that we had supplied the GDR with two pieces. The timers hadn't actually been ordered by the GDR but I took the newly developed timers with me to a business meeting in the GDR. They kept two or three and said they would pay for them later.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] There has been some speculation about timers from that same series being provided to Stasi. And it's true that they were. But they were on brown circuit boards. The circuit board that was used in the explosion of Lockerbie was a green production, a model of the timer, and that came from Libyan Intelligence.

[Narrator] In the Stasi files, the name of Edwin Bollier, code name Rubin, Stasi agent, his control Joachim Henschel, code named Wenzel, meetings in Berlin safe houses, German girls in Vienna hotels. The Stasi had discovered Bollier was selling everything to everyone, the timers only the Libyans were supposed to have to the Stasi, and American C-4 explosives, and Italian remote radio-controlled detonators. 2 Million Deutsch Marks one Stasi payment for a year. And selling directly to terrorists: The Red Army Faction, Palestinians, other Arabs, in quote "Germans." The Stasi even conclude Bollier must have been working for the CIA because he seemed to be able to get very special American equipment so easily for the Stasi. Double, triple, quadruple agent, a truly neutral Swiss businessman.

[Dennis Kline, FBI Investigator] Through good training and through good diligence and through the tremendous amount of concentration and hard work and effort that was put in by the search team, that evidence was found. Luck was made in this case by a very strong cooperative effort among law enforcement and military services in this case. And that's what brought the successful resolution to the identification of the people involved in that bombing.

[Narrator] Then another twist in turncoat Zurich Bollier's story. After a visit by Americans on December 28, 1988, he signed a document one week after Pan Am 103 was destroyed, a document in which Mr. Bollier swears his timers were of a model only sold to Libya, signed even before the use of a bomb had been made public, before the miraculous groveling search, a thousand Scots in lines on hands and knees find the smoking fragment. Mr. Bollier had sold so much to so many he could be blackmailed. So in that situation, he signed. Now he says the document can belong to whomever pays him $2 Million cash.

[Female Reporter] After three years of one of the most complex and exhausting investigations in history, head of the inquiry, Lord Fraser, names names.

[Lord Fraser, Lord Advocate Scotland] The two accused are Abdul Baset Ali Mohamed al-Megrahi and al Amin Khalifa Fhimah.

[Martin Fitzwater, Whitehouse spokesperson] That the investigation has come to this conclusion is not a surprise. We are now actively considering what actions to take.

[Robert Mueller, U.S. Assistant Attorney General] We have no evidence to implicate another country in this disaster.

[Douglas Hurd, British Foreign Secretary] I understand the investigation has revealed no evidence to support suggestions of involvement by any other countries.

[Martin Fitzwater, Whitehouse spokesperson] In the coming days, the President will be consulting closely with Prime Minister Major and other world leaders to fashion together a cooperative international response to this latest terrorist atrocity by Gaddafi's government.

[Bert Ammerman, brother of Tom Ammerman] Today marks the milestone in the nearly three years of unresolved grief and unrelenting persistence to find the truth. Today we call upon the political powers of all civilization to send a strong and unequivocal message to Libya and all states that aid, abet, harbor, sponsor and support terrorist activities that they will no longer be tolerated in the world community.

[Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi, Libyan suspect] I was astonished when I heard my name and my country being accused. This caused both me and my family great anguish.

[Lamin Khalifah Fhima, Libyan suspect] I didn't see my presence in Malta as an opportunity to participate in the terrorist act of which they are accusing me. My contacts in Malta are quite well known and anyone can ask about me.

[[illegible] Nasser, Libyan hotel employee, Malta] I know him. I know he would never have lied. But when the __ it was put on him, because his name, sometimes believe it.

[Louis Agnis] I don't really believe it. All the ones that knew him never believed that he did it.

[Man] Of course I don't believe this. I mean, everybody they had the same opinion in a way, he's not such a person.

[[illegible] Nasser, Libyan hotel employee, Malta] He is so soft that they give him a nickname the egg which means he's very very soft.

[Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi, Libyan suspect] I see no justification for this. What can I say? A whole nation has unjustly accused me. I know of no reason why. If I knew of any I would have told you.

[Narrator] The Roman theatre in Sabratha, Libya, hot and sandblasted. In its splendor when Africa provided the grain for Rome, and the Libyans, Septimus Severus was Roman Emperor. 1,500 years before the birth of the American Republic. Two Libyans cast, without ever auditioning, have now become players in a new play with a very old plot: White hats and black hats. The play goes like this: Basset Megrahi, terrorist 1, a frequent traveler in his work for Libyan Arab Airlines always using his own passport, arrives in Malta and using a false passport checks into the Holiday Inn, one of the only two luxury hotels in Sliema not owned by Libya.

[Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi, Libyan suspect] They say I used a false name, that the courts will [illegible] me of that accusation.

[Narrator] In the meantime, second terrorist, Lamin Fhimah is rigging the bomb in the Libyan Arab Airlines office. Could it be this office? Or perhaps this one? Using Semtex he has stored there amongst the Libyan Maltese and other employees and of course, Mr. Bollier's device.

[Lamin Khalifah Fhima, Libyan suspect] It just does not make any sense for me to use explosives or even store them inside one of the airline offices in the airport.

[Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi, Libyan suspect] This office employs both Libyan and Maltese staff. So how could such dangerous things be placed there? And how could we have turned a blind eye if we had seen anything?

[Narrator] When the great war fleet stops in Malta, the warship [inaudible] would unload sailors looking for what every sailor seeks at the foot of this Sliema street. Now shoppers look for other kinds of cheap deals.

[Dennis Kline, FBI Investigator] What was more valuable than the suitcase and the tracing of the suitcase were the clothes in that suitcase. There were some baby clothes. There was an umbrella. There were different items that were not really consistent with having come from this worn suitcase. You figure a suitcase from a man, owned by a man would just have men's clothes in there. There was a suitcase that had several different items in there from babies to adults to casual items. It turned out that apparently, as I recall, that one of the items of clothing, not to be specific, was traced, as the suitcase might have been.

[Narrator] Bomb-damaged clothes made in Malta had been found in the Pan Am 103 debris, so secret agent Megrahi must have scrambled up and down this shopping street from shop to shop, finally buying baby clothes, pants in different sizes, an umbrella at Mary's House. Tony Gauci and Paul Gauci, the brother owners. Megrahi, truly incognito, not as lucky as Dalkamoni and Khreesat in Neuss, had not been filmed. So over two years, Tony will make 18 separate statements, Paul 4 to the FBI and Scottish police as they try to get the brothers to identify the clothes buyer. 50 years old, 6 feet, testy, full hair, had been there before, had been there again, had been there once, had seen him in a bar several months later. The baby clothes had a sheep's head, no, an entire lamb embroidered. I will sign though I do not read English. Twenty years older than the photograph. Similar, but not identical. Maybe. Perhaps. Like him, but not fully like him. Like the man in the Sunday Times.

Lamin Fhima then steals Air Malta luggage tags after duly noting the English word in his diary.

[Lamin Khalifah Fhima, Libyan suspect] First of all, at the time of the Lockerbie accident, I wasn't working at Malta airport, contrary to what has been said. As for the tags, they are found on luggage all over any airport, which makes them accessible to anyone, let alone me. It's so easy. The tags are even available in the offices of the Libyan Arab Airlines. So why didn't they say the tags were stolen from the LA office in Libya.

[Narrator] And then arranges for an unaccompanied bag full of the medley of Maltese clothes and the bomb to be put unaccompanied on an Air Malta flight, a bag going through three airport security systems, traveling through a European winter with unpredictable flight delays, the explosion capable of occurring anywhere on Pan Am 103, in the air or the land or the sea, even in the airport. Our play began as a tragedy. Has it now become a comedy with two stooges, not three?

[Denis Phipp, former head of security, British Airways] If a device had been infiltrated into the system at Malta, it would have been necessary for that device to have been carried in an aircraft on the sector from Malta to Frankfurt, to have gone through a handling process being carried on an aircraft for the sector from Frankfurt to Heathrow and then timed to detonate during the final sector, Heathrow to New York presumably whilst the aircraft was over the ocean to avoid discovery of forensic evidence. One has to say, "Are terrorists idiots? Don't terrorists plan to have a reasonable degree of success of doing it?" We looked at something else, and it's a matter of public record, of the bombmaking activities in the group that had been active in Germany in Neuss at the time. There is all the publicity, the documentation of that. So we had to consider do you think it likely that a terrorist group that has managed to manufacture a very sophisticated device in Germany, are they going to move it somewhere else and then send it on its way back to Germany.

[Michael Jones, Pan Am security, London] I went to Frankfurt airport on the 23rd of January, 1989 to look for the documents in relation to the preparation of Flight 103 from Frankfurt to London, in particular the cargo and baggage loading claim, who was responsible for loading the plane and what their duties were. But these documents were missing from the daily [inaudible].

[Denis Phipp, former head of security, British Airways] The records at Frankfurt, they were by no means complete. One was not able to get hold of the detailed records. Particularly that concerned me was there was no record as to who unloaded that flight KM 180, when it arrived at Frankfurt. We don't know who the loaders were. There was no record of the number of the bags that were actually unloaded from that flight. There were no records that I could find.

[Michael Jones, Pan Am security, London] If the original documents had been taken by the authorities, and by that I mean the police, then it would be normal practice for a copy to be retained in the Pan Am file.

[Narrator] In 1993, Air Malta wins its libel suit against Granada television. Granada, in a docudrama, had claimed the bomb had been placed in an unaccompanied bag on an Air Malta flight.

[Denis Phipp, former head of security, British Airways] But Malta, the records of the handling of that flight KM 180 were made available for me to see. There was no evidence of any unaccompanied bags. All of the bags that were carried as passenger baggage on that flight had been checked in by a passenger who actually traveled on the flight.

[Narrator] When in October, 1989, the FBI visited Frankfurt airport, the agent sent back this telex to Washington: No evidence of any bag transferred from an Air Malta flight. The only evidence showing a transferred bag, a computer printout used to prepare this German police report. An airport employee, Mrs. Arak, claims to have stored in her locker a copy printed off the destroyed original computer tape.

[Denis Phipp, former head of security, British Airways] The computer printout does not say where the bag came from. They tried to tie that bag to KM 180 from the worksheet which was maintained. And as we found, the worksheet is completely unreliable and in any case, even if you accept that the worksheet was approximately right, we have nobody that can account for, or was in charge of, or can tell us who or how those bags came from the actual aircraft, KM 180 to that coding station. And for more than one kilometer while they were in there waiting, those bags were under nobody's control or supervision. They were not counted. We don't know how many should be there. And it would have been possible to put another bag in there along any of that route or at any time.

[Michael Jones, Pan Am security, London] I have never seen any documentation whatsoever produced by Pan Am or anybody else that show there was any interline baggage from an Air Malta flight on the 21st of December, 1988.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] What I can tell you is that both Fahima and Megrahi are members of the Libyan Intelligence Service. They were undercover as employees of Libyan Arab Airways, but they are in actuality members of the Libyan Intelligence Service.

[Lamin Khalifah Fhima, Libyan suspect] Since I was young, neither I nor any of my family have been involved in any political or security related matter in Libya. Nor have I ever thought of being involved in anything but my work. I've always worked for the airline companies, and I hope I'll continue working for them.

[Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi, Libyan suspect] I finished the Air Transportation course in New York and obtained the American FM license when I was below the permitted age.

[Narrator] And in this, as in every spy story, especially in Malta, proverbial land of the double cross, there is a secret service defector, a Mr. Jaika with lots of cash, girls and whiskey.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] The only thing I can tell you about this particular person is that he was a former member of the Libyan Intelligence Service who has defected to the United States and he is now in the witness protection program of the Department of Justice. So he would be used in a trial of Fahima and Megrahi were the Libyan government [inaudible] to release these two for trial either in the United Kingdom or in the United States.

[Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi, Libyan suspect] Mr. Jaika used to work at Malta airport with the rest of the team. He was responsible for the security and safety at Malta airport. What I know about him is that he was hated by other employees there.

[Lamin Khalifah Fhima, Libyan suspect] He behaved badly towards the employees working with us, in dealing with passengers. The Maltese airport authorities know this.

[[illegible] Nasser, Libyan Hotel employee, Malta] He used to come here with the Libyan Arab Airlines crew. All the guests or the passengers would have to stay nights over here, and his way of dealing with us was incorrect. To the point, once I remember I had to report him to his officer, the air President of Libyan Arab Airlines.

[Acquaintance of Fhima and [illegible]] He [inaudible] a lot of money here, you know, he used to bring sometimes the crew of Libyan Arab Airlines here, which this crew they have some allowance which we have the orders to issue the salons to them when they presented this. He had the right signature for to give them the allowances, you know. And sometimes we used to hand it to him and the crew wasn't there.

[[illegible] Nasser, Libyan Hotel employee, Malta] There is no doubt that he doesn't give them to the staff, the crew, then he must have keep them.

[Acquaintance of Fhima and [illegible]] They ask him to return back to Libya because his contact finished, or his staying in Malta and so after a few days he came here after the hotel and he had a [inaudible] in his hand, you know. So what's wrong? I mean, [inaudible] to get an extension of around three or four months to stay here.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] The fact that they have in the face of U.N. sanctions that are fairly onerous for them refused to release either one of them for a trial in a Western court of law indicates that they have something to be concerned about if they were to appear free of any kind of pressure from the Libyan government. So I don't think if they haven't done it up to the present time, they certainly have no intentions of doing it in the future.

[Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi, Libyan suspect] I do want a trial but I want it to be fair. Not in a country which is both an accuser and a judge at the same time. A neutral country which can take all the available facts and judge fairly. I am confident about my innocent and the innocence of my country. I want the truth revealed. I want everybody to know that I am innocent.

[Libyan Man] Are these human rights when sanctions are imposed on a country to prevent it from protecting its citizens and denying them their basic human rights? Are these human rights? We are neither children nor so stupid as to believe the West's lies, and its false expression [illegible] of human rights.

[Libyan Man] We suspect they are using Lockerbie just an excuse to threaten to bomb us. We expect anything, such as what happened to us back in 1986.

[Libyan Man] We Libyans are innocent of this accusation and we refuse to bend our knees [illegible].

[Libyan Man] We don't actually expect them to be handed over and we oppose handing them over, even if they wished it themselves.

[Lamin Khalifah Fhima, Libyan suspect] I'll never forget hearing my name [illegible] in the media. I still remember that I heard it on a Wednesday night. On the Thursday, I tried to get in touch with the police station in my district. They had no special instructions so I gave myself up to the authorities.

[Libyan Man] [Illegible] its integrity and its right to live freely. This is an insult. [Illegible]. If we give up our children and constitution, that would be an insult. It is an insult to our martyred hero fathers and grandfathers.

[Narrator] Ghadamis, 700 kilometers from the Libyan coastal plain, the place where we had lunch the legend says. Two camel drivers meeting and having lunch, one to come back to where he had left something, so the place where they had lunch. Walled oasis city, rebel territory, already in Phoenician times, when in 1911 the Italian army invaded Libya, as the Libyans were pushed back after the death of Omar Mokhtar, the Libyan leader hanged by the Italians in 1931, it was to this rock, the citadel in the desert, near Ghadamis, that the Libyan survivors withdrew. To emerge. To raid the Italians. To ambush the French Foreign Legion. Then for four years during World War II the Italians and Germans, English, French and [inaudible] push each other back and forth to the great Libyan desert. Since 1911, one million Libyan dead piling up. Never again. There would be no surrender of sovereignty.

Again, a hand, a bag, and a baggage tag and now, a boy.

[Jafaar family member] [Illegible] family tell him we send you to Germany. From Germany you can go to America. They give him this address. In Germany, he stay some friend, and what he put in his bag is the tape recorder. That's what we think. Hizbollah is behind Khalid what he done to him.

[Narrator] Lebanon. Bekaa. Baalbeck. And on the ridge, another Israeli air strike. The people that Israel is targeting, Hizbollah. Drugs and terrorism. Hostage country.

[Steve Donahue, DEA undercover agent] I came to be involved with the DEA. I got involved in trafficking cannabis products and eventually was arrested and struck a secret plea agreement with the government whereby they eventually decided to send me to Lebanon, not for cannabis products but to basically bust the largest heroin producers on the planet.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] They could not eradicate the drugs in Lebanon, so they only could do two things. That is, to monitor what was being produced and how it was being shipped out, and (2) use DEA informants from Lebanon in drug sting operations back in the United States to set up drug buys and catch drug buyers in the U.S. And that was a big part of what they were doing. The DEA informants would fly into Los Angeles, for example, or Detroit, and they would be loaned out to the local DEA office and used in a drug sting operation. Many times they would haul in heroin with them in a controlled delivery. Sometimes they would take in cash and act as a buyer.

[Steve Donahue, DEA undercover agent] This scheme involved infiltrating DEA agents from all of Western Europe into a Lebanese network.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] The DEA office in Cyprus was responsible for monitoring drug activities in Lebanon. They had to do it from a distance because the agents themselves were not allowed to step foot in Lebanon. So they were relying on anything and everything their informers were telling them.

[Steve Donahue, DEA undercover agent] And by that time, which was in the mid-80's, the people that were in the heroin business were also involved in financing Syrian terrorism.

[Oliver "Buck Revell," FBI Head of Lockerbie Investigation] Lebanon is a conduit for a great deal of drugs and the organizations that are moving it through or at least supporting the movement through are the violent political organizations such as the Hizbollah, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, and now Hamas. They are directly connected with much of the drug trafficking through that area.

[Steve Donahue, DEA undercover agent] The heroin laboratories themselves were located in the Bekaa Valley. The major one was run by Jamil Hamieh who was a target of our investigation, and he was in the process of producing over 100 kilos in a single batch for part of a thousand kilo shipment. And they would obtain the opium from Diyarbekir in Turkey, transport it with the Syrians into Lebanon, and then process it, but it was a method for financing, at the first level, internal military action in Lebanon and at the second level, as it turns out, to finance terrorist activities in Europe and abroad.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] It was arranged by the DIA for me to go over and work for the DEA in this narcotics operations group headed by Micheal T. Hurley who was the country attache in those days. And my main responsibility was to gather intelligence in Lebanon related to opium production and trafficking and illegal ports and that kind of thing.

[Steve Donahue, DEA undercover agent] I only knew of Hurley's involvement as a name at that time, because he was the station chief in Cyprus. But all the station chiefs in Frankfurt and Bonn and Amsterdam and in Paris all knew about the operation.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] A controlled delivery is a delivery where a courier carriers a predetermined amount of heroin through security checkpoints with the knowledge and consent of the local law enforcement people, for example the Germans in Frankfurt, the British Customs and Excise Service in London to pass the heroin through on the way to New York and then on to Detroit or Houston or Los Angeles.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] The drug trafficking occurred, as we understood at the time, at least once or twice a week a courier would carry a suitcase, some brown Samsonite suitcase, full of drugs from Cyprus to Frankfurt with an arrangement in Frankfurt with a baggage handler that the suitcase would be switched. He would come in and check in with a suitcase that is similar suitcase full of clothing, it would go through the security system, it would go down the chute, down to the basement, and then one of the employees, Pan Am employees, the baggage handler would switch a similar case full of drugs, it would go on board, it will arrive in Kennedy or Detroit and then it would be sold in the local market.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] Well, one of the routes I was familiar with and told firsthand about was the route that went from Beirut via Cyprus to Frankfurt to London to Detroit or Houston or Los Angeles.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] It was supervised and surveilled by the German authorities. They knew that it occurred. I assume that the British Government was aware that it occurred. So there was a cooperation between three governments to monitor this activity: the Germans, the British and the American government.

[Narrator] This 1986 Drug Enforcement Agency document, a meeting between Marty McGuire, Frankfurt resident DEA agent, and Mike Hurley, Cyprus resident agent, already all the key words, the Bekaa, heroin, Syria, Cyprus, Frankfurt.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] While this was going on, one has to remember that there were several hostages that were kept in Lebanon of many nationalities. And there was a long effort to release them by negotiations which hasn't worked out. At one point, the U.S. government entertained, the military entertained the possibility of releasing those hostages by force.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] And after the CIA station was blown in Lebanon, there was a mutual effort on the part of several agencies to sort of pick up the pieces and at that particular time, DEA informants were also, the information they were coming out with was being passed on to the CIA station in Cyprus. So progressively, DEA informants were being used as assets for the CIA. So in essence, DEA informant was a cover for a CIA operation.

[Narrator] The old American embassy in Cyprus in the process of demolition. The great eagle seal torn from the wall. Its miles of communication cables ripped out. Debris falling fast, Mike Hurley's ground floor office, as if even here a trail had to be destroyed. DEA chief Mike Hurley would receive intelligence about the terrorist drug networks. That would go to the CIA. The CIA control the special action group operating out of this apartment building in Weisbaden, Germany. Operational intelligence to a group in Beirut, Matthew Gannon, CIA Chief of Station, and Army Major Chuck McKee, trying to locate and rescue American hostages being taken in and out of the Bekaa.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] A lot of attempts have been made to release those hostages by contacting known figures in the terrorist world, drug dealers and known terrorists as Monzer al-Kassar who is related to the Syrian government by marriage, who lives and operated both in Damascus and in Europe and had experience in trafficking not only weapons all over the world but also drugs. They have assigned that mission to Monzer al-Kassar. He helped gather in the drugs in the Bekaa Valley and helped in the drugs going into the United States. He was an asset of the CIA.

[Steve Donahue, DEA undercover agent] I only knew him as Mohammed, Abu Mohammed. He was the person that had to facilitate the delivery of, there was a brown substance that's a precursor to heroin. They call it 'base' or 'base.' I think its base. And that's coffee colored and it comes in like gunny sacks, and he is the person that I met who facilitated the heroin across the Syrian border in the northern, the city of Qaa in northern Lebanon.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] Monzer al-Kassar is probably the most notorious, in the 80's anyway, gun and arms and drug supplier in the middle east. Nothing went down in the Bekaa Valley related to narcotics for example without the explicit approval of Rifat Assad and Monzer al-Kassar. Nothing happened in the Bekaa Valley, not the hostages, not the opium trade, not the heroin laboratories, not the cocaine processing labs, none of that could have happened without the express consent and involvement of Rifat Assad and the Pink Panther Brigade and his partner Monzer al-Kassar. And the Americans knew that.

NSC INTELLIGENCE DOCUMENT

[Narrator] Payments made to Monzer al-Kassar by Lt. Col. Oliver North. The account numbers. And amounts.

As new recruits are sworn in for the ongoing war the guest of honor at the Hizbollah table of dignitaries: Ahmed Jibril. Jibril who made airplane bombs in a terrorist cell in Frankfurt in October, 1988.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] When Jibril realized that that operation was going on, because he was participating in drug shipments and raising money through drugs, monetary, and so the players on the ground were known. He realized, very simple, that if he can put, if he can gain access to one of the suitcases, of controlled, monitored suitcases, and put a bomb into it, the bomb will be put on the plane, will be supervised by those who were supervising it, including all the law enforcement agencies, by making sure that nobody challenges the suitcase, nobody opens it, it goes through the security system, and all he had to do was just put it in that suitcase and the rest is history.

[Jafaar Family Member] Khaled didn't know anything about drugs, bombs or anything. Khaled was obliged to travel to Germany, where Mohammed Ja'far, who was in charge of the Hizbollah party, had told him to go. He told him that he'll send him to his Palestinian friends at Ahmed Jibril's, and other organizations, who will help him earn some money. He also told him that he will marry him to his sister. He used the boy Khaled, who didn't know anything about drugs or bombs. He had never used any weapons, neither has any member of his family. He wouldn't hurt a fly.

[Steve Donahue, DEA undercover agent] I met Moostafa in 1974. I went to his home in Baalbek, actually in Shroni? where the Jafaar clan lives. And they have two homes, one in Shroni?, and one in Hermel, in central Baalbeck, in central Lebanon, in the Bekaa Valley, and I also know a great deal about his family. This was in the pre-terrorist days, really.

[Narrator] The Jafaar Family Seat. The bullet holes from Hizbollah. The shrine inside to Khaled. Grandfather Moostafa Jafaar. Khaled was his favorite grandson.

[Moostafa Jafaar] They arranged the visa for him and he left by plane for America. Then the accident happened. It was too painful, even if he was just my grandson, he was like my son. They arranged for his visa in the USA, and he then left Germany for America.

[Jafaar Family Member] When Khaled was about to board the plane, Mohammed Al-Hourani approached him at the airport and asked him to take a tape recorder as a gift. The recorder contained two kilos of heroin. In Germany, there were people waiting for him at the airport. They took the recorder from him and disappeared for a whole day. Then they came back and took Khaled to many places. Khaled always used to call his grandfather. Khaled's grandfather used to come and drink coffee with my father every day, and he used to give him Khaled's news.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] This was a controlled [inaudible] going through. It wouldn't go through passport control. It wouldn't go through Customs. It would just be passed through. It would be either carried through by the informant or by somebody who was a part of the local police constabulary.

[Michael Jones, Pan Am security, London] I received a telephone call from somebody I knew in British Customs advising me to, or suggesting that we look at the possibility that a bag may have been switched by Frankfurt Airport, by the Turkish workers because of known drug operation that's been run through Frankfurt Airport.

[Jim Renwick, Pam Am Security London] An H.M. Customs Officer involved in the investigation of Lockerbie had left a message for me and I subsequently contacted him, and I met with him, and he advised me that he'd been in Frankfurt at a meeting of drug enforcement agencies from Germany, America and Britain, and that it was well known and discussed at that meeting that Pan Am as an airline was being used as a drug conduit.

[Michael Jones, Pan Am security, London] To my knowledge, Pan Am had not been informed of any controlled drug shipments. Throughout my service with Pan Am at Heathrow, I was not notified of any drug shipments, and it would have been a requirement under the FAA regulations and the DOT regulations, all has to be notified if some outside agency was putting baggage onto our aircraft.

[Jim Renwick, Pam Am Security London] I certainly didn't know and I know of nobody else in the Pan American organization that I had contact with that was aware of it.

[Michael Jones, Pan Am security, London] Although I have not handled any drug shipments, I would assume that it would be normal procedures or practice to bypass the passenger searching stage and take the bag through other routes and take it directly to the aircraft thereby avoiding possible searches to prevent unauthorized people from knowing what was being shipped.

[Jim Renwick, Pam Am Security London] I was aware of some information with regards the possibility that passengers on board the 103 could have been involved with the illegal movement of narcotics. And some names were mentioned to me, particularly one passenger by the name of Jafaar.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] When I was working in Cyprus in 1988 at DEA, we were working at a penthouse apartment on top of a building down the road from the American Embassy. We answered the phone, "EURAME Trading Company," which was a cutout, a proprietary company used by the CIA and the DEA for various and sundry purposes. One was that these drug informants would come in on the Sunday boat from Jounieh, the Cypriot Police Narcotics people would bring them up to the apartment, they would all sit around the living room drinking coffee and chatting away while I was over at my computer working away. And then they would be called up one by one on the telephone to go over and meet with Hurley at the American Embassy. And one of the people that I observed there was this kid that we used to call, that was referred to as Nazzie, Nazzie Jafaar. I knew from the conversations around me in '88 that he was involved in controlled deliveries. And there's no doubt in my mind about that at all. So when I found out he was on 103 and he was killed and that there was a controlled delivery going through at the time, and the fact that I knew the security problems that the DEA had and the relationships that they were having with some people in Lebanon, that we had already raised as an issue as far as security is concerned, it was very simple for me to put 1 and 1 together and get the big 2, that the DEA's operation had a role in all of this.

[Narrator] In 1990, before a Congressional Committee, the Drug Enforcement Agency, Steven Green, Acting Administrator, will deny under oath that there were any controlled drug deliveries through Frankfurt Airport in 1988. But in Virginia court documents, deliveries are documented. A DEA agent has testified being at Frankfurt Airport in 1989. The drug traffic was so heavy by then that there was a full-time DEA liaison agent, Thomas Slovenky at the airport. One convicted Lebanese Bekaa dealer had even tried to contact a Pan Am pilot. But Frankfurt had been used as a base for covert drugs in CIA operations long before.

[Oswald Le Winter, CIA 1968-85] In 1984, I was undercover, and my base of operations was in Wurzberg at the headquarters of the 3rd Infantry Division. And I was contacted by a fellow who worked for Oliver North. I was asked to develop an operation laying a trail which would lead back to Libya and make it look as though a Libyan effort was behind this to putting drugs into the United States. The way to do this is to make it look as though the material had been shipped from Europe to Libya and then from Libya to the United States. I was buying a precursor for the manufacture of Speed, methyl-benzyl-ketone, which has the same chemical formula as Cyanuric Acid, which is something harmless that they put into toothpaste as flavoring. They'd buy that and the labels would be switched, and the Cyanuric acid would be shipped to Libya. Methyl-benzyl-ketone would be shipped into the United States to the Mafia who were paying for it in advance. My instructions were to use Frankfurt because that was where all the contacts were. I was told to play the role of Mohamed El Mwama? who was a low-level operative in Libyan service, and if a purchase order or something were needed, I had been provided from Headquarters with stationery. I have a sample of the stationery that was used. This is the bill of lading. Libyan Airlines was to be used. And this was the Bill of Lading for Libyan Airlines showing that this material is going to Libya. And I received the funds to do this through the military banking system in Wurzberg is a voucher for the receipt of $317,100 German Marks. The street value of the drugs that I imported was about $350 million dollars.

[Narrator] Khaled Jafaar arrived in Germany with the two kilos of heroin given to him by Hizbollah Captain Mohamed Ja'far, a controlled delivery. No police or Customs inspections. The policeman who waits for Khaled as he arrives in Germany will assist him through Frankfurt Airport Security when he boards Flight 103 on December 21st. Jafaar takes a taxi to meet some of the people whose names have been given to him by Hizbollah. Among them Faisal Jallousse and Adnan Younis.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] Jafaar was clearly working as a courier for the DEA, for the entity that has employed him to courier the drugs, the controlled substances to the United States. He was also under strict surveillance by Mossad and by many other governments who were interested to know what was going on in that area and who saw in advance, way way in advance that this could create a major problem in the future.

[Michael Jones, Pan Am security, London] It had been in July, 1989, our sales director in Oslo, Mrs. Barrett Sojlund? received some documentation and information from the local police, regarding a possible meeting or a definite meeting by a person called Goldberg and a man called Jafaar somewhere in Scandinavia. And Mr. Goldberg had supplied details from his personal notebook and some handwritten notes which had been forwarded to the local police and then to us in London. On receipt of the information we notified the American Embassy, Mr. Bob Mahoney. And at his request, on the 7th of July, 1989, the documents were forwarded to him at the U.S. Embassy in London, at which point we were told or advised that he would look into the matter. I've never had any telephone conversation or any written information from the U.S. Embassy advising us the outcome of their inquiries.

[Narrator] In October, 1988, the German Federal Police had watched a white Volvo with Swedish plates load up in front of 16 Isarstrasse in Neuss. Bombmaker Khreesat had stayed there. A raid on Abassi's apartment at that address in April, 1989, after Pan Am 103 had been blown up in the sky, had led to the discovery of three Khreesat bombs in electronic devices with a fourth and possibly a fifth airplane bomb missing.

Two men are driven in the Volvo to Uppsala, Sweden, the route by car ferry because of the laxer border controls.

In December, before he boards Pan Am 103 in Frankfurt, Khaled Jafaar is driven to Sweden by Faisal Jallousse, stopping at this address in Elmshorn, near Hamburg. Jafaar takes the Kiel Gothenberg ferry. One of the addresses in Goldberg's notes, 3A Storgatan, in fact Stortgatan in Gothenberg, a perfect address for a safehouse, two separate entrances off of two separate streets, a tramway, the highway nearby, the present occupant, Mohamed Drabouk?

[Woman] Hello.

[Man] Hello. Yes?

[Woman] Can I speak to Mr. Mohammed, please.

[Man] Mr. Mohammed speaking.

[Woman] Mr. Mohammed, do you know someone called Khaled Jafaar?
[Man] Who are you? I don't know you.

[Woman] I am looking for him.

[Man] Unless you tell me who you are I won't answer your question.

[Woman] OK. Do you know someone called Said al Ja'far?

[Man] If you tell me where you're call from and your name, I will answer you.

[Woman] OK. I'll call you later.

[Man] No. Talk to me now, not later on.

[Woman] Why don't you want to answer me?

[Man] Because I don't know who you are.

[Woman] Do you know this person or not?

[Man] I won't answer that. I'm sorry.

[Woman] You won't answer me?

[Man] I won't answer you.

[Woman] OK. Have you lived here for long?

[Man] I am very sorry. Goodbye.

[Woman] Hello.

[Man] Hello.

[Woman] Mr. Mohammed?

[Man] Yes?

[Woman] We know there was a man called Khaled Jafaar on the plane which exploded over Lockerbie, and that he passed through Sweden. That's why I want to know if you know him, or have just heard of him.

[Man] Who are you? When you first called I was having dinner. The call surprised me. I don't like being called without an appointment.

[Woman] A phone call without an appointment!

[Man] Yes.

[Woman] How can I get an appointment without first calling you?

[Man] That's not what I mean. I mean that your call really surprised me.

[Woman] OK. Will you answer my question?

[Man] Sorry. No.

[Narrator] Jafaar will go to Stockholm, according to Mr. Goldberg, on the 1710 train on December 19. Mr. Goldberg, after a single furtive January 1989 meeting with a Pan Am sales agent in Oslo, leaves his precise notes behind and vanishes. "Goldberg" -- such a common Jewish name -- is in fact an Israeli Intelligence operative still on active duty today. Khaled told his family in the Bekaa that he had met this man, Abu Talb, during his trip to Sweden. Talb had been arrested in Uppsala in October 1988 at the same time the Jibril group arrests had been made in Neuss, Germany. Talb also was initially released then re-arrested after Lockerbie, accused of terrorism, convicted on the flimsiest evidence and is now serving time in Kumla Prison in Sweden. In October, 1988, Abu Talb had visited Cyprus and Malta. He returned from Malta with a hodgepodge of Maltese clothes. At one point the Maltese shopkeeper, Tony Gauci, so relentlessly questioned by the FBI and Scottish police, shown Abu Talb's photograph, says Abu Talb could be the clothes buyer. But Tony is never one to make definitive statements. But Khaled Jafaar does tell his family in the Bekaa that he had been given Maltese clothes by Abu Talb, including a baby [inaudible], a fragment of a baby [inaudible], one of the items of clothing the Scottish police and FBI inquire about in Malta.

[Jamilla Moghrabi, wife of Abu Talb] He went to Malta only once in October. A friend of his who has a clothes factory in Malta and Cyprus told him to go to the factory to buy some clothes to export to Sweden. He went to Malta for four days, then returned to Sweden with the clothes.

[Narrator] Khaled's ticked to Detroit, one-way, will be bought for him at Ali Rais Travel in Isenborn Germany. Mr. Jadalla, owner of Ali's Travel confirmed a Mr. Younis bought the ticket. Mr. Jadalla was told not to reveal the name. A second call. The wife answered this time.

[Man] Mr. Jadalla, please.

[Woman] He is not in.

[Man] When will he be back?

[Woman] I have no idea.

[Man] Is he at work tomorrow?

[Woman] Maybe. What's it about? He's already told you that we only sold the ticket. We have told you everything we know. There is nothing more to say.

[Narrator] The official London Metropolitan police notes on Khaled Jafaar's ticket: form of payment not known; student ticket, one-way; originating office: Pan Am Hamburg, history of booking: none. The copy for the actual ticket held for all Pan Am passengers has in Jafaar's case disappeared.

[Woman] Hello. May I speak to Adnan Younis?

[Man] Who are you?

[Woman] I want to ask you about Khaled Jafaar.

[Man] Who are you?

[Woman] Did you know Khaled Jafaar? Did you buy him a ticket?

[Man] Who are you? What is your name?

[Woman] The report said that you're a member of Ahmed Jibril's organization, responsible for recruiting for the European branch of the organization. The report also said that you bought a ticket for Khaled Jafaar. Do you agree with what was said? Did Khaled put the bomb on the plane?

[Man] If you come to Germany, we can talk then.

[Woman] Do you know Faisal Jallousse's address?

[Man] Yes.

[Woman] Do you know if he is still in Berlin?

[Man] Yes. He is still here.

[Woman] They say that Faisal Jallousse is involved in the matter as well.

[Man] He was involved? I can't talk about this on the phone. I know that he was accused, but not on the Lockerbie question. I prefer to talk when you come to Germany.

[Jafaar family member] Adnan is one of these Hizbollah characters. He works for both sides. He's always worked for both the CIA and Hizbollah. He is a double agent.

[Narrator] A European night covering all. Jallouse still in Berlin. Did he drive Jafaar to Sweden? Labouk, did he meet Jafaar? Younis, did he buy the ticket? Will they ever be asked what they know. Major Chuck McKee, head of the hostage rescue team takes the Sunday boat, the Jounieh ferry from Lebanon to Cyprus. Matthew Gannon, Beirut CIA Station Chief, travels separately, arriving on a helicopter with the U.S. Ambassador to Lebanon, Tom McCarthy. The ambassador, like Gannon, is booked on Pan Am 103 December 21st. The diplomat, however, decides not to travel on to New York.

[Juval Aviv, Investigator] McKee has never contacted his mother or anybody while he was on missions abroad. Never ever anybody knew where they were. On that single occasion, upon his return, or just before he returned to the United States, he contacted his mother and he might indirectly have related to her that he was on his way back. It's unusual, that he's in distress.

[Narrator] McKee's behavior before returning to the United States is strange. He is initially booked on Pan Am 103 December 22nd, changing to Pan Am 103 December 21st. His communications man from Beirut, through a secure link, had sent the travel details to McKee's operational control. This same member of McKee's Special Forces Unit has confirmed that McKee hated drugs and had fired his Beiruit driver, before leaving Lebanon, when he caught him with drugs. After McKee's death, there are stories that members of the hostage rescue team, among them McKee, had been very upset when they discovered that the agents they were asked to work with were drug dealers. There are suggestions that McKee was on his way home to expose the drugs-for-intelligence operation. The Drug Enforcement Agency are watching McKee. Mike Hurley, separately, telexes McKee's final travel arrangements to the CIA Directorate of Operations in Washington, to MI-6, the British Secret Service, and to SPAG, the CIA Special Action Group in Germany, in overall control of the drugs intelligence operation. Every spook there is, will know that McKee is flying back on December 21st.

The announcer next dropped his bomb on me:

McKee's behavior before returning to the United States is strange. He is initially booked on Pan Am 103 December 22nd, changing to Pan Am 103 December 21st. His communications man from Beirut, through a secure link, had sent the travel details to McKee's operational control. This same member of McKee's Special Forces Unit has confirmed that McKee hated drugs and had fired his Beirut driver, before leaving Lebanon, when he caught him with drugs. After McKee's death, there are stories that members of the hostage rescue team, among them McKee [were outraged] when they discovered that the agents they were asked to work with were drug dealers.

I immediately wondered what he meant by "agents": CIA, DIA, DEA agents or snitches.

There are suggestions that McKee was on his way home to expose the drugs-for-intelligence operation. The Drug Enforcement Agency are watching McKee. Mike Hurley, separately, telexes McKee's final travel arrangements to the CIA Directorate of Operations in Washington, to MI-6, the British Secret Service, and to SPAG, the CIA special action group in Germany, in overall control of the drugs intelligence operation. Every spook there is, will know that McKee is flying back on December 21st.

The outrageous gall. The way I see this is that they just accused me of fingering Pan Am 103 to eliminate Major McKee because he was a threat to a drugs intelligence operation, which didn't exist.

As the film continued, the announcer bounced back to a disjointed telephone conversation ...

-- "I Solemnly Swear -- Conmen, DEA, the Media, and Pan Am 103," by Micheal T. Hurley and Kenton V. Smith

For example, silence was traditionally considered a tacit admission if a statement made in the party's presence was heard and understood by the party, who was at liberty to respond, in circumstances naturally calling for a response, and the party failed to respond.

-- JENKINS V. ANDERSON, 100 S. Ct. 2124, 447 U.S. 231 at 248-249 (1980.

[Man 1] Yeah, you're there?

[Man 2] Yes.

[Man 1] How are you?

[Man 2] Oh, I'm feeling pretty good. Where you calling from?

[Man 1] Well, I'm in Wiesbaden. I just got into Frankfurt to the airport, and I'm gonna just chill out here for the night.

[Man 2] Are you alone?

[Man 1] Well of course I'm alone. You don't think I'd be asking you questions with somebody around.

[Man 2] Hold on. Wait a minute. [Pause] Hello?

[Man 1] Yeah. Now tell me where you were.

[Man 2] Okay?

[Man 1] Let's go.

[Man 2] I just turned it off. It was being taped. What do you think? What the fuck you want to know this for, man? You're with the Special Action Group in Wiesbaden?

[Man 1] Yeah. Yeah. I mean, you know, you're retired from the [inaudible] but you're still doing -- what -- consulting work, right?

[Man 2] I'm sure.

[Man 1] Alright, now look. Does the name Khaled Jafaar mean anything to you?

[Man 2] Yeah.

[Man 1] Who is that?

[Man 2] He's a local guy, man, you know who he is.

[Man 1] What do you mean, "local guy."

[Man 2] Come on!

[Man 1] What does he have to do with?

[Man 2] He's the Lockerbie man.

[Man 1] Okay, now when he came to Germany in '88, who met him at the plane?

[Man 2] You mean that prick Lovejoy?

[Man 1] Ed! No shit.

[Man 2] Well, you know, man!

[Man 1] Is he part of the structures?

[Man 2] What the fuck, man?! Come on! You know this shit!

[Man 1] Is he still part of the structures?

[Man 2] Yeah.

[Man 1] Alright, because, nobody's been able to locate him, and a lot of people have been looking for him, so you guys must be hiding him somewhere.

[Man 2] Yeah, that too. The fucker!

[Man 1] Now. When he was taken back to get on the plane to leave the country, who took him through security?

[Man 2] Oh, we did. Some of my fellows and I. We took him on the plane and turned him over to Gannon.

[Man 1] You mean Gannon was seated on the plane?

[Man 2] That's right!

[Man 1] No shit!

[Man 2] That's right! First Class! That big motherfucker! Sitting right out there!

[Jafaar family member] He didn't know it was a bomb. They gave him the drugs to take to Germany. He didn't know. Who wants to die? If he knew he would never have done it.

[Linda Forsyth, Pan Am ground hostess Heathrow] Mr. [Chuck] McKee I remember, because he asked me for an upgrade and he had a certificate from that was the program that we were running at that time. And so I moved his class, and he was over the moon about it, he was just so pleased, and we sort of struck up quite a rapport in that short period of time. And then later, another gentleman came in who I found out was Mr. [Matthew] Gannon, and after that two other gentlemen came in. And they were Mr. [Daniel] O'Connor and Mr. [Ronald] Lariviere. Just from observation it was obvious that they were traveling together. They greeted each other with hugs and much relief when the last member arrived. I was told by a colleague who checked them in downstairs who had actually asked me if I would mind having them in the [inaudible] that she had assumed that they were traveling together and therefore asked if they wanted to sit together and they had denied that they were actually traveling together, that they didn't know each other, [inaudible] and she was amazed by this. [Inaudible]

[Narrator] Special Forces Major Chuck McKee's hostage rescue mission becomes a suicide mission the moment he boards Pan Am 103 from the Heathrow lounge.

[Dr. David Fieldhouse, Police Surgeon] In the field near Tundergarth Church, there were a number of bodies in the bogs and the woods and around the fields. I remember particularly the [inaudible] family. I remember McKee and Lariviere [inaudible] inquiries to identify who found who.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] The arc goes right around the crest of the hills overlooking where the cockpit fell. There were a number of bodies which subsequently became of great interest to a lot of people. Charles McKee, a very brave man, an expert in counterterrorism was found just off on the ridge there. Gannon, Matthew Gannon, an intelligence officer. Ronald Lariviere, another intelligence officer. Captain Curry, Special Forces, according to his memorial was killed in the line of duty. We've never found out exactly what that duty was. There were saints and there were sinners on that aircraft. There were also some very strange people whose backgrounds have never really been clarified.

[Dr. David Fieldhouse, Police Surgeon] In particular, in the Tundergarth area, near the church, I identified several bodies, amongst which were those of McKee and Lariviere. I knew that McKee was absolutely correct because of the clothing that correlated closely with the reports and statements examined later on the computers which were linked to London and Washington. As far as Lariviere was concerned, he was in an area where there were only two or three people, and his detailed [inaudible] was also on the computer.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:40 am

Part 3 of 3

[David Johnston, Journalist Radio Forth] At the time I didn't know, I wasn't very sure exactly who they were working for but subsequently of course it turned out to be Major Charles McKee of the Defense Intelligence Agency and Ronald Lariviere and Matthew Gannon and several other people who had loose connections with the Intelligence side of things.

[David Ben-Arycah, Journalist] It's very strange. Considering some of them were traveling together, at least one of the bodies who should have been found in a location beside his colleagues was found in fact in a totally different location beside or very close to the body of a person who has been the subject of intense investigation and speculation. One is forced to wonder what somebody from the front of the plane was doing landing beside somebody who was in the second last row of seats in the aircraft.

[Narrator] Khaled Jafaar, in Seat 53K at the very rear of the aircraft, Matthew Gannon, in first class, near where the bomb exploded. Their bodies are found 100 yards from each other, the only passengers from opposite ends of the aircraft to be thus joined in death.

[David Johnston, Journalist Radio Forth] Well I heard early on that the bomb, that the investigators believed the bomb had been taken on to the plane by a U.S. Officer who has belonged to Military Intelligence, and the bomb had been planted on him in Beirut. Later on when I started doing the research into Lockerbie, it was puzzling me that the line was there wasn't any drugs on the airplane. It would seem that was the first transatlantic flight in a long time not to have any drugs on it. And just asking around people who had been involved in the investigation afterwards, and involved in moving the bodies from the hillside, they were able to tell me specific passengers and what they had on them, and one officer also told me how he had a farmer pass him with a tractor and trailer to help him take a suitcase full of what he presumed to be heroin away from Tundergarth and down to the [inaudible] factory where the luggage was being stored once it was recovered from the area around.

[Narrator] The farmer Jim Wilson lives in the farm facing Tundergarth Church, still traumatized by all the death in his fields and by the past treatment by the press. He refuses to talk. Private Eye, however, had published an account. That terrible December, as bodies were still being found, Wilson told Pan Am 103 relatives -- they too will not appear publically -- that he was there when the drugs were found. How soon after the police found the drugs, Americans rushed to the scene in an all-terrain vehicle and took the stash away. The Americans were very angry that the drugs had not been found sooner. A Scottish policeman, bound by official secrets and the draconian Scottish Police Disciplinary Act, and therefore not able to speak, has confirmed that there were drugs found near Tundergarth. The police were told to keep an eye out for drugs and Khaled Jafaar's name had been repeatedly mentioned as a drug courier. A mountain rescue man has separately confirmed the finding of drugs. He had been warned not to ever say anything.

[David Johnston, Journalist Radio Forth] This story was broadcast at 8:00 in the morning. By 9:00, two female policemen had arrived at my office, unannounced. They knew I'd written this story by the fact that it wasn't my voice on it, and proceeded to ask me questions and repeated for about six hours, including the rather bizarre offer to take me to Mrs. Thatcher, who was then the prime minister at the time, to reveal the source of the story to her if I felt I couldn't repeat it to anyone else, such was the importance they had placed on finding out who had told me this information.

[Narrator] Near the Kielder Forest, another secret find. This one never made public by police, FBI, or secret services.

[David Clark, volunteer searcher] The t-shirt that we found was a [inaudible], on just a plain white t-shirt, which we understand it had something to do with a Free Palestine Liberation group. And the police did come down separate to the time we were looking, actually it's in a hole, to take the statements about the location of the article, where it was found, with grid reference, who found it, and at the time the police went down they mentioned it was part of the Islamic group.

Daily Express
SATURDAY DECEMBER 31, 1988
FBI name Pan Am victim duped by terrorists who blew up plane
THE BOMB CARRIER

[Narrator] Daily Express, December 31, 1988, ten days after the bomb dropped down Pan Am 103. The cover photo, Khaled Jafaar. The sources for the headline: the FBI and Scotland Yard.

[Steve Donahue, DEA undercover agent] In the early months of 1989, I was contacted by Moostafa Jafaar, after quite a long period. And he was contacting me, and he was quite excited about some information and it eventually became clear over a number of conversations that it involved the downing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie. And the information was significant enough that he gave me, which is documented in letters that I've shown you, that I contacted my Congressman Larry Smith and I also notified the President because it was obviously a crime that was unsolved and this person said they had information. Moostafa Jafaar said that a relative of his had carried at some point a suitcase bound for Detroit which undoubtedly contained drugs. The information was extremely specific in that they had someone within the organization that had put the bomb on board that could give them some indications of where future terrorist attacks might be had. Over the course of many calls and in direct contact with the FBI and a number of other people, State Department, every normal channel of authority, it became quite clear that he had significant information, and in fact had predictive information in terms of the attacks on the World Trade Center which was one of several attacks which he had said were staged, were going to be staged [inaudible], and this is well in advance of those attacks.

[Vincent Cannistraro, CIA head of Lockerbie Investigation] When you think of the painstaking investigation, the minute details that had to be dealt with, and when you think of the actual challenge to begin with, you had over 270 people killed, 11 on the ground, the remainder in the aircraft itself, every one of those people, excluding the people, the citizens of Lockerbie, had to be investigated for possible connection to the terrorist event itself. Several of the investigators, as well as some of the British Intelligence people involved in the investigation, were highly honored by the United Kingdom government.

[Lamin Khalifah Fhima, Libyan suspect] In simple terms, my son one day asked me a question. He said: "If the Americans kill you, will they kill me as well?" This is the tragedy which I face with my family.

[Oliver "Buck Revell," FBI Head of Lockerbie Investigation] All of us working on the case made it a very very personal priority of the utmost order, we were not going to let this go unpunished. And frankly, I believe that we need to do more to punish Libya than we have done if they do not surrender the defendants and stand before the court of law.

[Abdel Basset Ali Al-Megrahi, Libyan suspect] I have suffered psychologically and my family has suffered. My wife suffered a lot. She was pregnant at the time of the accusation. She fell ill and she is still suffering. My family and I have suffered a lot. The more upset I am about the families, the more I feel myself a victim of this accusation. I can tell them that I am a victim of that accusation, as they are victims of the criminal act which took place.

[Narrator] Lester Coleman, now a political refugee, indicted by the Government of the United States for perjury so doubt would be cast on what he might reveal about the Lebanese drugs intelligence operation.

[Lester Coleman, U.S. Defence Intelligence Agency] I took my family and went to Sweden. When we got to Sweden, we went to the police station in this town where we were going to live and we reported in, and I told them our story, and I asked for political asylum, and they put us up in a refugee camp and they gave us an apartment and a living stipend, clothes, because we didn't have anything, at that point, no money, it wasn't an easy thing for us to leave. And we were looking over our shoulder the whole time until we got to Sweden. And it was such a relief, such a big burden off of our shoulders when we got there, that we all just broke down in the police station. And it was a, it was a ... [too choked up to continue].

[Jafaar Family Member] We were sad when he died. He was an innocent child. Hizbollah dragged him into this.

[Ahmed Jibril] The joint British/American inquiry concluded a few weeks ago that the PFLP-GC and Ahmed Jibril had nothing to do with the Pan Am bomb. This has been published in many different countries around the world. What right has the U.S. government to accuse us in this manner? And now, years later, they acquit us of these charges. Doesn't the U.S. government feel any shame?

[Narrator] In some countries, they change presidents. In some countries, the president stays the same. President Assad of Syria. Still runs the Bekaa, is still paymaster to Ahmed Jibril, still protects and uses Hizbollah.

Another memorial, another president. The Chief Constable from Scotland. Some of the American Pan Am families. A monument in Arlington National Cemetery where war heroes are buried.

[Memorial Announcer] "Ladies and gentlemen, this concludes today's ceremony. Please remain seated until the official party has departed. Thank you for your attendance, and enjoy your day."

[Oliver "Buck Revell," FBI Head of Lockerbie Investigation] My son was in the army stationed in Germany and was due to come back to the United States on that particular flight. I can't say what that would have done, but it gave me an opportunity, I think, to even more personally identify with the parents and relatives of the victims and to empathize with what they must be going through and what they must have felt.

[Narrator] FBI Chief Investigator into the Lockerbie crash, Buck Revell's son, was not the last lucky passenger to miss flying on Pan Am 103. Steven Green, Acting Administrator of the DEA, also had a reservation on the flight. Green has described being on the Heathrow tarmac, watching the doomed plane take off.

[Dr. Jim Swire] There seems to be somewhere in the world, some organization which classifies people as either very important or unimportant. And Flora was important. Flora was a superb person, a lovely girl, one who made so much contribution to the welfare and happiness of the human race through her [inaudible]. And she is just as important as any diplomat or politician or anybody else you care to name. I can give a thousand reasons why [inaudible]. My family has been deeply attached to this ground for generations. You can see the names on the stones. And Flora herself liked the [inaudible] very much. When she was a little girl, this is where we always came for holidays, therefore it was a natural place for her to come. The natural beauty of the place, it certainly affects me very much, and it affected her very much too, I think. She loves the sound of the sea and the wildness of the place. [Inaudible] of course means "flower," but to us it's a name that's run in our family for generations and through my mother's side, we're actually descended from [inaudible] who rescued Bonnie Prince Charlie from the Red Coats in 1745. And so it's a name that to us doesn't just mean "flower," but it does of course also mean flower, and she was very very very fond of flowers and that also is appropriate here because in the peat here there are no animals and I forgot that the flowers we planted around her grave here were left in peace to grow and flower and nature [inaudible]. I think if she could have had a hand in saying where her ashes were to be, she would have chosen here.

In Remembrance of all victims of Lockerbie Air Disaster who died on 21st December 1988.

The Victims

Pan Am Flight 103 Crew

Avonye, Nichole Elizabeth, flight attendant, 44 years, born 05.05.44, Croissy-Sur-Seine, France, French

Avritt, Jerry Don, flight engineer, 46 years, born 30.07.42, Westminster, California, American

Berti, Noelle Lydie, flight attendant, 40 years, born 24.12.47, Paris, France, American

Engstrom, Siv Ulla, flight attendant, 51 years, born 21.09.37, Berkshire, England, Swedish

Franklin, Stacie Denise, flight attendant, 20 years, born 16.02.68, San Diego, California, American

Garrett, Paul Isaac, flight attendant, 41 years, born 16.11.47, Napa, California, American

Kuehne, Elke Etha, flight attendant, 43 years, born 17.03.45, Hanover, Germany, German

Larracoechea, Maria Nieves, flight attendant, 39 years, born 03.03.49, Madrid, Spain, Spanish

MacQuarrie, James Bruce, captain, 55 years, born 30.09.33, Kensington, New Hampshire, American

McAlolooy, Lilibeth Tobila, flight attendant, 27 years, born 02.11.61, Kelsterback, Germany, American

Murphy, Mary Geraldine, purser, 51 years, born 14.05.37, Middlesex, England, British

Reina, Jocelyn, flight attendant, 26 years, born 26.05.62, Isleworth, England, American

Royal, Myra Josephine, flight attendant, 30 years, born 20.12.58, London, England, American

Skabo, Irja Syhnove, flight attendant, 38 years, born 03.07.50, Oslo, Norway, American

Velimirovich, Milutin, chief purser, 35 years, born 14.10.53, Middlesex, England, American

Wagner, Raymond Ronald, first officer, 52 years, born 18.01.36, Pennington, New Jersey, American

Pan Am Flight 103 Passengers

Ahern, John Michael Gerard, bond broker, 26 years, born 16.04.62, Rockville Center, New York, American, Seat Number 30C

Aicher, Sarah Margaret, playwright, 29 years, born 09.02.59, London, England, American, Seat Number 46C

Akerstrom, John David, 34 years, born 20.05.54, Medina, Ohio, American, Seat Number 25A

Alexander, Ronald Ely, businessman, 46 years, born 15.07.42, New York, New York, Swiss, seat number 42C

Ammerman, Thomas Joseph, marketing manager, 36 years, born 06.08.52, Old Tappan, New Jersey, American, seat number 16E

Apfelbaum, Martin Lewis, stamp dealer, 59 years, born 16.08.29, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 15H

Asrelsky, Rachel Marie, student, 21 years, born 26.11.67, New York, New York, American, seat number 38D

Atkinson, William Garretson III, engineer, 33 years, born 18.08.55, London, England, American, seat number 15A

Atkinson, Judith Ellen, art historian and consultant, 37 years, born 18.01.51, London, England, American, seat number 15B

Bacciochi, Clare Louise, hair stylist, 19 years, born 15.03.69, Warwickshire, England, British, seat number 50K

Bainbridge, Harry Michael, attorney, 34 years, born 16.11.54, Montrose, New York, American, seat number 4B

Barclay, Stuart Murray, businessman, 29 years, born 28.11.59, Farm Barnard, Vermont, Canadian, seat number 18G

Bell, Jean Mary, 44 years, born 16.03.44, Berkshire, England, British, seat number 5A

Benello, Julian MacBain, student, 25 years, born 28.12.62, Brookline, Massachusetts, American, seat number 23H

Bennett, Lawrence Ray, pharmaceutical chemist, 41 years, born 05.11.47, Chelsea, Michigan, American, seat number 15J

Bergstrom, Philip Vernon, army sergeant, 22 years, born 21.12.66, Forest Lake, Minnesota, American, seat number 46A

Berkley, Alistair David, professor of law, 29 years, born 11.04.59, London, England, American

Bernstein, Michael Stuart, lawyer, U.S. Dept. of Justice, Office of Special Investigation, 36 years, born 03.07.52, Bethesda, Maryland, American, seat number 47D

Berrell, Steven Russell, student, 2O years, born 19.06.68, Fargo, North Dakota, American, seat number 46F

Bhatia, Surinder Mohan, businessman, 51 years, born 21.05.37, Los Angeles, California, American, seat number 34D

Bissett, Kenneth John, student, 21 years, born 19.12.67, Hartsdale, New York, American, seat number 31J

Boatman-Fuller, Diane Anne, playwright, 37 years, born 08.01.53, London, England, American, seat number 22H

Boland, Stephen John, student, 20 years, born 28.09.68, Nashua, New Hampshire, American, seat number 46 G

Bouckley, Glen John, sales, 27 years, born 24.02.61, Liverpool, New York, British, seat number 39K

Bouckley, Paula Marie, sales, 29 years, born 14.10.59, Liverpool, New York, American, seat number 39J

Boulanger, Nicole Elise, student, 21 years, born 28.10.67, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, American, seat number 28B

Boyer, Francis, 43 years, born 22.06.45, Toulosane, France, French, seat number 9A

Bright, Nicholas, businessman, 32 years, born 29.08.56, Brookline, Massachusetts, American, seat number 13A

Browner (Bier), Daniel Solomon, 23 years, born 20.08.65, Parod, Israel, Israeli, seat number 21A

Brunner, Colleen Renee, student, 20 years, born 01.04.68, Hamburg, New York, American, seat number 44C

Burman, Timothy Guy, banker, 24 years, born 09.10.64, London, England, British, seat number 38G

Buser, Michael Warren, advertising executive, 34 years, born 08.08.54, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, American, seat number 35B

Buser, Warren Max, civil engineer, 62 years, born 22.09.26, Glen Rock, New Jersey, American, seat number 35A

Butler, Steven Lee, teacher, 35 years, born 30.08.53, Denver, Colorado, American, seat number 36G

Cadman, William Martin, musician, 32 years, born 10.09.56, London, England, British, seat number 29J

Caffarone, Fabiana, 28 years, born 30.09.60, London, England, British, seat number 7B

Caffarone, Hernan, 28 years, born14.12.60, London, England, Argentinean, seat number 7A

Canady, Valerie, auditor, 25 years, born 29.06.63, Morgantown, West Virginia, American, seat number 24K

Capasso, Gregory, student, 21 years, born 12.12.67, Brooklyn, New York, American, seat number 48H

Cardwell, Timothy Michael, student, 21 years, born 05.07.67, Cresco, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 37D

Carlsson, Bernt Wilmar, diplomat, 50 years, born 21.11.38, New York, New York, Swedish, seat number 17H

Cawley, Richard Anthony, businessman, 43 years, born 09.07.45, New York, New York, American, seat number 16J

Ciulla, Frank, banker, 45 years, born 06.08.43, Park Ridge, New Jersey, American, seat number 11B

Cohen, Theodora Eugenia, student, 20 years, born 10.09.68, Port Jervis, New York, American, seat number 21H

Coker, Eric Michael, student, 20 years, born 23.04.68, Mendham, New Jersey, American, seat number 43B

Coker,Jason Michael, student, 20 years, born 23.04.68, Mendham, New Jersey, American, seat number 43A

Colasanti, Gary Leonard, student, 20 years, born 01.08.68, Melrose, Massachusetts, American, seat number 43C

Concannon, Bridget, 53 years, born 13.07.35, Oxfordshire, England, Irish, seat number 33H

Concannon, Sean, 16 years, born 18.02.72, Oxfordshire, England, British, seat number 33J

Concannon, Thomas, 51 years, born 21.11.37, Oxfordshire, England, Irish, seat number 33G

Corner, Tracey Jane, 17 years, born 04.05.71, Sheffield, England, British, seat number 33A

Cory, Scott, student, 20 years, born 27.09.68, Old Lyme Court, Connecticut, American, seat number 46D

Coursey, Willis Larry, military, 40 years, born 25.08.48, San Antonio, Texas, American, seat number 36K

Coyle, Patricia Mary, student, 20 years, born 04.06.68, Wallingford, Connecticut, American, seat number 20B

Cummock, John Binning, 38 years, born 31.05.50, Coral Gables, Florida, American, seat number 3A

Curry, Joseph Patrick, army captain, 31 years, born 21.03.57, Fort Devens, Massachusetts, American, seat number 44K

Daniels, William, Alan, research chemist, 40 years, born 28.03.48, Belle Mead, New Jersey, American, seat number 9H

Dater, Gretchen Joyce, student, 20 years, born 17.05.68, Ramsey, New Jersey, American, seat number 52J

Davis, Shannon, student, 19 years, born 19.02.69, Shelton, Connecticut, American, seat number 31A

Della-Ripa, Gabriel, Pan Am Airlines employee, 46 years, born 03.04.42, Floral Park, New York, Italian, seat number 2B

DiMauro, Joyce Christine, marketing director, 32 years, born 09.05.56, New York, New York, American, seat number 11J

DiNardo, Gianfranca, 26 years, born 14.10.62, London, England, Italian, seat number 20C

Dix, Peter Thomas Stanley, management consultant, 35 years, born 06.05.53, London, England, Irish, seat number 14B

Dixit, Om, college professor, 54 years, born 29.12.33, Fairborn, Ohio, Indian, seat number 24A

Dixit, Shanti, 54 years, born 14.12.34, Fairborn, Ohio, American, seat number 24B

Dornstein, David Scott, student, 25 years, born 03.04.63, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 40K

Doyle, Michael Joseph, accountant, 30 years, born 21.05.58, Voorhees, New Jersey, American, seat number 9B

Eggleston, Edgar Howard III, air force sergeant, 24 years, born 13.10.64, Glens Falls, New York, American, seat number 32D

Ergin, Turhan, student, 22 years, born 14.05.66, West Hartford, Connecticut, American, seat number 28C

Fisher, Charles Thomas IV, banker, 34 years, born 24.12.53, London, England, American, seat number 25K

Flick, Clayton Lee, businessman, 25 years, born 23.02.63, Coventry, England, British, seat number 50J

Flynn, John Patrick, student, 21 years, born 24.11.67, Montville, New Jersey, American, seat number 45A

Fondiler, Arthur, attorney, 33 years, born 12.12.55, West Armonk, New York, American, seat number 47C

Fortune, Robert Gerard, insurance executive, 40 years, born 24.07.48, Jackson Heights, New York, American, seat number 1A

Freeman, Paul Matthew Stephen, 25 years, born 02.04.63, London, England, Canadian, Seat Number 46B

Fuller, James Ralph, corporate vice president, 50 years, born 17.09.38, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, America, seat number 3H

Gabor, Ibolya Robertine, 79 years, born 14.06.09, Budapest, Hungary, Hungarian, seat number 26F

Gallagher, Amy Beth, student, 22 years, born 30.08.66, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada, American, seat number 23G

Gannon, Matthew Kevin, foreign service officer, 34 years, born 11.08.54, Los Angeles, California, American, seat number 14J

Garczynski, Kenneth Raymond, industrial engineer, 37 years, born 17.10.51, North Brunswick, New Jersey, American, seat number 47K

Gibson, Kenneth James, army specialist four, 20 years, born 16.02.68, Romulus, Michigan, American, seat number 48K

Giebler, William David, bond broker, 29 years, born 08.07.59, London, England, American, seat number 30B

Gordon, Olive Leonora, 25 years, born 09.03.63, London, England, British, seat number 45G

Gordon-Gorgacz, Linda Susan, 39 years, born 15.09.49, London, England, American, seat number 37A

Gorgacz, Anne Madelene, 76 years, born 27.09.12, Newcastle, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 38A

Gorgacz, Loretta Anne, 47 years, born 15.03.41, Newcastle, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 37B

Gould, David, college professor, 45 years, born 03.01.43, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 22C

Guevorgian, Andre Nikolai, businessman, 32 years, born 11.11.56, Sea Cliff, New York, American, seat number 11A

Hall, Nicola Jane, 23 years, born 03.02.65, Sandton, South Africa, South African, seat number 23K

Halsch, Lorraine Frances, special education teacher, 31 years, born 06.11.57, Fairport, New York, American, seat number 35C

Hartunian, Lynne Carol, student, 21 years, born 13.03.67, Schenectady, New York, American, seat number 44A

Hawkins, Anthony Lacey, businessman, 57 years, born 13.11.31, Brooklyn, New York, British, seat number 28K

Herbert, Pamela Elaine, student, 19 years, born 27.03.69, Battle Creek, Michigan, American, seat number 37J

Hilbert, Rodney Peter, 40 years, born 19.07.48, Newton, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 16H

Hill, Alfred, 29 years, born 29.06.59, Sonthofen, Germany, German, seat number 14A

Hollister, Katherine Augusta, student, 20 years, born 26.08.68, Rego Park, New York, American, seat number 54C

Hudson, Josephine Lisa, nurse, 22 years, born 14.05.66, London, England, British, seat number 50D

Hudson, Melina Kristina, student, 16 years, born 25.01.72, Albany, New York, seat number American 29A

Hudson, Sophie Ailette Miriam, 26 years, born 22.09.62, Paris, France, French, seat number 29H

Hunt, Karen Lee, student, 20 years, born 07.01.68, Webster, New York, American, seat number 31K

Hurst, Roger Elwood, marketing manager, 38 years, born 12.07.50, Ringwood, New Jersey, American, seat number 2H

Ivell, Elizabeth Sophie, dog handler, 19 years, born 21.04.69, East Sussex, England, British, seat number 19C

Jaafar, Khalid Nazir, student, 20 years, born 01.05.68, Dearborn, Michigan, American, seat number 53K

Jeck, Robert van Houten, 57 years, born 08.10.31, Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, American, seat number 4J

Jeffreys, Paul Avron, musician, 36 years, born 13.02.52, Surrey, England, British, seat number 38J

Jeffreys, Rachel, advertising executive, 23, years, born 29.04.65, Surrey, England, British, seat number 38H

Jermyn, Kathleen Mary, student, 20 years, born 27.12.67, Staten Island, New York, American, seat number 49A

Johnson, Beth Ann, student, 21 years, born 24.03.67, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 36B

Johnson, Mary Alice Lincoln, student, 25 years, born 14.06.63, Wayland, Massachusetts, American, seat number 33D

Johnson, Timothy Baron, student, 21 years, born 30.11.67, Neptune, New Jersey, American, seat number 26A

Jones, Christopher Andrew, student, 20 years, born 04.03.68, Claverack, New York, American, seat number 52K

Kelly, Julianne Frances, student, 20 years, born 27.06.68, Dedham, Massachusetts, American, seat number 21E

Kingham, Jay Joseph, pharmaceuticals executive, 44 years, born 03.03.44, Potomac, Maryland, American, seat number 5B

Klein, Patricia Ann, social worker, 35 years, born 16.06.53, Trenton, New Jersey, American, seat number 28A

Kosmowski, Gregory, marketing executive, 40 years, born 08.10.48, MiIford, Michigan, American, seat number 8H

Kulukundis, Minas Christopher, ship brokerage director, 38 years, born 17.12.50, London, England, British, seat number 51K

LaRiviere, Ronald Albert, 33 years, born 19.11.55, Alexandria, Virginia, American, seat number 20H

Leckburg, Robert Milton, engineer, 30 years, born 12.10.58, Piscataway, New Jersey, seat number American 34C

Leyrer, William Chase, businessman, 46 years, born 24.08.42, Bay Shore, New York, American 2J

Lincoln, Wendy Anne, student, 23 years, born 21.01.65, North Adams, Massachusetts, American, seat number 28D

Lowenstein, Alexander Silas, student, 21 years, born 25.02.67, Morristown, New Jersey, American, seat number 20D

Ludlow, Lloyd David, army sergeant first class, 41 years, born 06.02.47, Macksville, Kansas, American, seat number 51A

Lurbke, Maria Theresia, 25 years, born 26.11.63, Balve Beckum, Germany, German, seat number 52A

Mack, William Edward, puppeteer, 30 years, born 24.04.58, New York, New York, American, seat number 36B

Malicote, Douglas Eugene, army specialist four, 22 years, born 31.08.66, Lebanon, Ohio, American, seat number 48B

Malicote, Wendy Gay, 21 years, born 31.07.67, Lebanon, Ohio, American, seat number 48A

Marek, Elizabeth Lillian, actress and peace activist, 30 years, born 17.02.58, New York, New York, American, seat number 36C

Marengo, Louis Anthony, marketing director, 33 years, born 09.02.55, Rochester, Michigan, American, seat number 3J

Martin, Noel George, 27 years, born 31.05.61, Clapton, England, Jamaican, seat number 53A

Maslowski, Diane Marie, currency trader, 30 years, born 10.08.58, New York, American, seat number 8B

McAllister, William John, 26 years, born 18.10.62 in the Isle of Mull, Argyll, Scotland , Scottish, seat number 14E

McCarthy, Daniel Emmet, banker, 31 years, born 02.11.57, Brooklyn, New York, American, seat number 6B

McCollum, Robert Eugene, university professor, 61 years, born 12.05.27, Wayne, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 7J

McKee, Charles Dennis, army major, 40 years, born 03.12.48 , Arlington, Virginia, American, seat number 15F

McLaughlin, Bernard Joseph, marketing manager, 30 years, born 12.12.58, Cranston, Rhode Island, American, seat number 36A

Melber, Jane Susan, musician and teacher, 27 years, born 01.01.61, Middlesex, England, American, seat number 27H

Merrill, John, seaman, 35 years, born 11.07.53, Hertfordshire, England, British, seat number 37K

Miazga, Suzanne Marie, student, 22 years, born 31.07.66, Marcy, New York, American, seat number 23A

Miller, Joseph Kenneth, accounting firm executive, 56 years, born 27.05.32, Woodmere, New York, American, seat number 10B

Mitchell, Jewel Courtney, army second lieutenant, 32 years, born 14.06.56, Brooklyn, New York, American, seat number 27A

Monetti, Richard Paul, student, 20 years, born 11.09.68, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, American, seat number 20E

Morgan, Jane Ann, attorney, 37 years, born 19.03.51, London, England, American, seat number 42A

Morson, Eva Ingeborg, 48 years, born 29.04.40, New, York, New York, American, seat number 19G

Mosey, Helga Rachael, student, 19 years, born 21.09.69, West Midlands, England, British, seat number 22K

Mulroy, Ingrid Elizabeth, 25 years, born 22.04.63, Lund, Sweden, Swedish, seat number 34J

Mulroy, John, journalist, 59 years, born 01.04.29, East Northport, New York, American, seat number 34G

Mulroy, Sean Kevin, 25 years, born 03.05.63, Lund, Sweden, American, seat number 34H

Noonan, Karen Elizabeth, student, 20 years, born 26.12.67, Potomac, Maryland, American, seat number 20A

O'Connor, Daniel Emmett, U.S. diplomatic service, 31 years, born 22.09.57, Dorchester, Massachusetts, American, seat number 25H

O'Neil, Mary Denice, student, 2l years, born 02.04.67, Bronx, New York, American, seat number 38K

Otenasek, Anne Lindsey, student, 21 years, born 31.01.67, Baltimore, Maryland, American, seat number 45K

Owen, Bryony Elise, 1 year, born 29.04.87, Bristol, England, British, seat number 19D

Owen, Gwyneth Yvonne Margaret, student, 29 years, born 03.05.59, Bristol, England, British, seat number 19D

Owens, Laura Abigail, 8 years, born 01.01.80, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, American, seat number 35K

Owens, Martha, 44 years, born 02.06.44, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, American, seat number 35H

Owens, Robert Plack, 45 years, born 05.03.43, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, American, seat number 35G

Owens, Sarah Rebecca, 14 years, born 09.12.74, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, American, seat number 35J

Pagnucco, Robert Italo, attorney, 51 years, born 20.10.37, South Salem, New York, American, seat number 4A

Papadopoulos, Christos Michael, 45 years, born 11.11.43, North Lawrence, New York, American, seat number 17A

Peirce, Peter Raymond, architect and student, 40 years, born 28.09.48, Perrysburg, Ohio, American, seat number 47G

Pescatore, Michael, businessman, 33 years, born 06.09.55, Solon, Ohio, American, seat number 17J

Philipps, Sarah Susannah Buchanan, student, 20 years, born 15.08.68, Newtonville, Massachusetts, American, seat number 49C

Phillips, Frederick Sandford, student, 27 years, born 08.05.61, Little Rock, Arkansas, American, seat number 21F

Pitt, James Andrew Campbell, student, 24 years, born 06.11.64, South Hadley, Massachusetts, American, seat number 29K

Platt, David, architect, 33 years, born 13.12.55, Staten Island, New York, American, seat number 8A

Porter, Walter Leonard, musician, 35 years, born 10.03.53, Brooklyn, New York, American, seat number 25C

Posen, Pamela Lynn, student, 20 years, born 30.01.68, Harrison, New York, American, seat number 26K

Pugh, William, businessman, 56 years, born 29.02.32, Margate, New Jersey, American, seat number 21D

Quiguyan, Crisostomo Estrella, hotel cashier, 43 years, born 16.03.45, London, England, Filipino, seat number 30A

Ramses, Rajesh Tarsis Priskel, 35 years, born 26.05.53, Leicester, England, Indian, seat number 22A

Rattan, Anmol, 2 years, born 24.09.86, Warren, Michigan. American, seat number 24C

Rattan, Garima, computer programmer, 29 years, born 15.07.59, Warren, Michigan, American, seat number 23D

Rattan, Suruchi, 3 years, born 20.06.85, Warren, Michigan. American, seat number 23E

Reeves, Anita Lynn, 24 years, born 03.09.64, Laurel, Maryland, American, seat number 45D

Rein, Mark Alan, businessman, 44 years, born 12.02.44, New York, New York, American, seat number 2A

Rencevicz, Diane Marie, student, 21 years, born 13.07.67, Burlington, New Jersey, American, seat number 29G

Rogers, Louise Ann, student, 20 years, born 13.02.67, Olney, Maryland, American, seat number 29D

Roller, Edina, 5 years, born 24.11.83, Hungary, Hungarian, seat number 26D

Roller, Janos Gabor, 29 years, born 26.03.59, Hungary, Hungarian, seat number 26E

Roller, Zsuzsana, 27 years, born 21.12.61, Hungary, Hungarian, seat number 26G

Root, Hanne Maria, management consultant, 26 years, born 15.12.62, Toronto, Canada, Canadian, seat number 34K

Rosen, Saul Mark, businessman, 35 years, born 24.11.53, Morris Plains, New Jersey, American, seat number 32A

Rosenthal, Andrea Victoria, student, 22 years, born 05.02.66, New York, New York, American, seat number 35D

Rosenthal, Daniel Peter, student, 20 years, born 02.06.68, Staten Island, New York, American, seat number 21J

Rubin, Arnaud David, 28 years, born 18.05.60, Waterloo, Belgium, Belgian, seat number 39G

Saraceni, Elyse Jeanne, student, 20 years, born 01.06.68, East London, England, American, seat number 36D

Saunders, Scott Christopher, student, 21 years, born 20.05.67, Macungie, Pennsylvania, American, seat number 24D

Saunders, Theresa Elizabeth Jane, marketing, 28 years, born 24.10.60, Sunbury-on-Thames, England, British, seat number 14F

Schauble, Johannes Otto, 41 years, born 08.08.47, Kappellenweg, Germany, German, seat number 49K

Schlageter, Robert Thomas, student, 20 years, born 12.08.68, Warwick, Rhode Island American, seat number 28G

Schultz, Thomas Britton, student, 20, years, born 05.01.68, Ridgefield, Connecticut, American, seat number 45C

Scott, Sally Elizabeth, chef, 22 years, born 17.01.66, Huntington, New York, British, seat number 56G

Shapiro, Amy Elizabeth, student, 21 years, born 28.10.67, Stamford, Connecticut, American, seat number 37G

Shastri, Mridula, 24 years, born 12.02.64, Oxford, England, Indian, seat number 24H

Sheanshang, Joan, 46 years, born 16.12.42, New York, New York, American, seat number 41C

Sigal, Irving Stanley, research biologist, 35 years, born 23.05.53, Pennington, New Jersey, American, seat number 13B

Simpson, Martin Bernard Christopher, financier, 52 years, born 25.10.36, Brooklyn, New York, American, seat number 27K

Smith, Cynthia Joan, student, 21 years, born 06.10.67, Milton, Massachusetts, American, seat number 41A

Smith, Ingrid Anita, chiropodist, 31 years, born 12.11.57, Berkshire, England, British, seat number 4H

Smith, James Alvin, 55 years, born 11.03.33, New York, New York, American, seat number 27G

Smith, Mary Edna, army sergeant, 34 years, born 14.07.54, Kalamazoo, Michigan, American, seat number 34A

Stevenson, Geraldine Anne, 37 years, born 31.03.51, Surrey, England, British, seat number 22E

Stevenson, Hannah Louise, 10 years, born 23.09.78, Surrey, England, British, seat number 22F

Stevenson, John Charles, 38 years, born 13.09.50, Surrey, England, British, seat number 22D

Stevenson, Rachael, 8 years, born 01.09.80, Surrey, England, British, seat number 22G

Stinnett, Charlotte Ann, 36 years, born 07.02.52, Duncanville, Texas, American, seat number 19J

Stinnett, Michael Gary, army specialist, 26 years, born 27.05.62, Duncanville, Texas, American, seat number 19H

Stinnett, Stacey Leanne, 9 years, born 30.07.79, Duncanville, Texas, American, seat number 19K

Stow, James Ralph, businessman, 49 years, born 18.07.39, New York, New York, American, seat number 15E

Stratis, Elia G., accountant, 43 years, born 17.06.45, Montvale, New Jersey, American, seat number 1B

Swan, Anthony Selwyn, 29 years, born 15.05.59, Brooklyn, New York, Trinidadian, seat number 41K

Swire, Flora MacDonald Margaret, medical student and researcher, 24 years, born 22.12.64, London, England, British, seat number 39D

Tager, Marc Alex, 22 years, born 03.08.66, London, England, British, seat number 26H

Tanaka, Hidekazu, 26 years, born 13.05.62, London, England, Japanese, seat number 24G

Teran, Andrew Alexander, student, 20 years, born 31.08.68, New Haven, Connecticut, Bolivian, seat number 27D

Thomas, Arva Anthony, student, 17 years, born 26.04.71, Detroit, Michigan, American, seat number 19A

Thomas, Jonathan Ryan, 2 months, born 29.09.88, Southfield, Michigan, American, seat number 32K

Thomas, Lawanda, air force sergeant, 21 years, born 17.02.67, Southfield, Michigan, American, seat number 32K

Tobin, Mark Lawrence, student, 21 years, born 04.04.67, North Hempstead, New York, American, seat number 32G

Trimmer-Smith, David William, publishing executive, 51 years, born 26.04.37, New York, New York, American, seat number 12A

Tsairis, Alexia Kathryn, student, 20 years, born 06.07.68, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, American, seat number 21G

Valentino, Barry Joseph, exhibit designer, 28 years, born 25.02.60, San Francisco, California, American, seat number 20G

Van-Tienhoven, Thomas Floro, 45 years, born 30.05.43, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Argentinean, seat number 2B

Vejdany, Asaad Eidi, 46 years, born 24.02.42, South Great Neck, New York, American, seat number 20C

Vrenios, Nicholas Andreas, student, 20 years, born 20.08.68, Washington, DC, American, seat number 46E

Vulcu, Peter, stockbroker and student, 21 years, born 01.08.67, Alliance, Ohio, American, seat number 20K

Waido, Janina Jozefa, 61 years, born 19.03.27, Chicago, Illinois, American, seat number 50A

Walker, Thomas Edwin, electronics specialist, 47 years, born 11.12.41, Quincy, Massachusetts, American, seat number 16A

Weedon, Kesha, student, 20 years, born 02.10.68, Bronx, New York, American, seat number 37H

Weston, Jerome Lee, engineer, 45 years, born 11.11.43, Baldwin, New York, American, seat number 10A

White, Jonathan, accountant, 33 years, born 14.07.55, North Hollywood, California, American, seat number 55J

Williams, Bonnie Leigh, military, 21 years, born 12.01.67, Crown Point, New York, American, seat number 46K

Williams, Brittany Leigh, 2 months, born 13.10.88, Crown Point, New York, American, seat number 46J

Williams, Eric Jon, army sergeant, 24 years, born 15.08.64, Crown Point, New York, American, seat number 46J

Williams, George Waterson, army first lieutenant, 24 years, born 17.05.64, Joppa, Maryland, American, seat number 33K

Williams, Stephanie Leigh, 1 year, born 23.05.87, Crown Point, New York, American, seat number 46K

Wolfe, Miriam Luby, student, 20 years, born 26.09.68, Severna Park, Maryland, American, seat number 21K

Woods, Chelsea Marie, 10 months, born 06.02.88, Willingboro, New Jersey, American, seat number 25F

Woods, Dedera Lynn, air force sergeant, 27 years, born 04.02.61, Willingboro, New Jersey, American, seat number 25G

Woods, Joe Nathan, civilian military worker, 28 years, born 05.03.60, Willingboro, New Jersey, American, seat number 25D

Woods, Joe Nathan, Jr., 2 years, born 24.09.86, Willingboro, New Jersey, American, seat number 25E

Wright, Andrew Christopher Gillies, site agent, 24 years, born 02.05.64, Surrey, England, British, seat number 55G

Zwynenburg, Mark James, investment banker, 29 years, born 14.10.59, West Nyack, New York, American, seat number 12B

Lockerbie Residents

Flannigan, Kathleen Mary, 41 years, born 26.01.47, 16 Sherwood Crescent

Flannigan, Thomas Brown, 44 years, born 20.12.44, 16 Sherwood Crescent

Flannigan, Joanne, 10 years, born 13.06.78, 16 Sherwood Crescent

Henry, Dora Henrietta, 56 years, born 27.03.32, 13 Sherwood Crescent

Henry, Maurice Peter, 63 years, born 18.07.25, 13 Sherwood Crescent

Lancaster, Mary, 81 years, born 12.01.07, 11 Sherwood Crescent

Murray, Jean Aitkin, 82 years, born 29.11.06, 14 Sherwood Crescent

Somerville, John, 40 years, born 31.05.48, 15 Sherwood Crescent

Somerville, Rosaleen Later, affectionately know as 'Rosalind', 40 years, born 31.05.48, 15

Sherwood Crescent

Somerville, Paul, 13 years, born 21.01.75, 15 Sherwood Crescent

Somerville, Lyndsey Ann, 10 years, 13.07.78, 15 Sherwood Crescent

In memory of those who died on Pan Am Flight 103 and for the people of Lockerbie who mourned and picked up the pieces.

And to those of the Scottish police who tried to discover the truth. They are the only innocents in this story.

We wish to thank [illegible], TINY ROWLANDS AND EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED IN THE MAKING OF THIS FILM

NARRATOR: BRIAN COX

Consultants: DAVID BEN-ARYCAN, OSWALD LE WINTER

Archive: BBC, [illegible, SCOTTISH, BORDER, SKY, DIVERSE, SPEIGEL, [ILLEGIBLE, ABC, NBC

Film Research: LEWANNE JONES

Photography: JEREMY STEVENHAGAN

Additional Photography: BEN HODGSON, EVAN ESTERN

Assistants: PHILIP ASTBURY, ANDREW CALVERT, ROBERT FEATHERSTONE
admin
Site Admin

Return to Illustrated Screenplays