Bob Iger, Chairman of Disney, Wants to Help

Postby admin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 am

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/10545

Email from Steve Bing

To: john.podesta@gmail.com
Date: 2015-02-20 18:11
Subject: Email from Steve Bing

John,
Bob Iger is the Chairman of Disney and a great guy. He wants to be helpful. What is the best way to put you two in touch? Hope you're very well.
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bob Iger, Chairman of Disney, Wants to Help

Postby admin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:58 am

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/18636

Email from Steve Bing

To: john.podesta@gmail.com
Date: 2015-11-12 17:57
Subject: Email from Steve Bing

John
Hope you're very well. Rick Caruso who is the most successful shopping mall developer on the West Coast and is also on the board of the Regan Library, would like to meet with HRC. He's a good guy and a good friend. What's the best way to facilitate this?
Also, I saw Bob Iger on Saturday who said he's had a couple of good talks with you. Miss seeing you. Next time you're out let's sit down so we can figure out specific things I can do to help. I have some ideas.
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am

Hillary Clinton Adds A-List-Heavy Magic Johnson Event To L.A. Visit
by Dominic Patten
August 4, 2016

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

EXCLUSIVE: The dance card for Hillary Clinton’s latest visit to the Hollywood ATM is getting pretty packed, with a reception at the home of longtime supporters Magic Johnson and wife Cookie on August 22 now added, I’ve learned. That comes as Tinseltown’s top tier is hitting the fundraising court hard for the former First Lady at a series of campaign moneymakers and GOP rival Donald Trump also sees a fundraising surge over the past month.

The Lakers legend was a backer of the ex-Secretary of State when she ran for President in 2008 and came out for her again soon after she announced her current bid for the White House last year. Rumored to be one of the guests at a 55th birthday party for President Barack Obama tomorrow, Johnson has appeared at several Clinton rallies and events during the past few months.

On August 22, the Johnsons’ reception will be followed later that evening with the already announced big-bucks dinner at Haim Saban and wife Cheryl’s Beverly Hills pad. With tickets going from $2,700-$27,000 for a co-host and $100,000 for a hosting couple, the self-proclaimed Evening With Hillary will see the Sabans and the Johnsons as chairs plus the usual suspects including Jeffrey and Marilyn Katzenberg, Megan and Peter Chernin, Los Angelese Olympics bid boss Casey Wasserman and wife Laura, Disney’s potentially political-office-seeking CEO Bob Iger and Willow Bay, and Legendary’s Thomas Tull and wife Alba.

Also shelling out the dough and serving as chairs are ex-Clinton staffer and former Warner Bros VP of corporate business development and strategy Sean Burton and wife Teresa, CAA’s Micheal Kives, manager/producer Ellen Goldsmith-Vein and her husband, Marketshare CEO Jon Vein, and Laura and Sanford Michelman – all of whom have participated in past Clinton fundraisers this election.

The next day will see Clinton lunching with Leonardo DiCaprio at his L.A. home in a $33,400-a-ticket fundraiser. That Conversation With Hillary event at the Oscar winner’s place will be hosted by past Clinton backers Jennifer and Tobey Maguire, Friends alum Jennifer Aniston, frequent HRC supporter Scooter Braun and wife Yael, ICM Partners’ Chris Silbermann, plus Christina and Rick Yorn.

Having co-produced the Hillary video that played before the candidate’s speech at the DNC in Philadelphia last week, Scandal EP and big-time backer Shonda Rhimes will also host the mid-day event at DiCaprio’s.

In what is getting close to her 20th fundraising visit to Hollywood since officially announcing her POTUS run in mid-2015, Clinton will attend two additional pricey events in Laguna Beach on what is looking like a packed August 23.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 pm

AWKWARD: Disney Made Its Fired Workers Train Foreign Replacements: CEO, Employees Donate Overwhelmingly to Democrats
by Andrew Stiles
June 4, 2015

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

The New York Times published a troubling report Thursday highlighting the trend among American corporations of hiring outsourcing firms to replace their tech employees with foreign workers brought into the country on temporary H-1B visas. In many cases, the fired employees are then compelled to stay on and train their foreign replacements:

While families rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and searched for Nemo on clamobiles in the theme parks, these workers monitored computers in industrial buildings nearby, making sure millions of Walt Disney World ticket sales, store purchases and hotel reservations went through without a hitch. Some were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

“I just couldn’t believe they could fly people in to sit at our desks and take over our jobs exactly,” said one former worker, an American in his 40s who remains unemployed since his last day at Disney on Jan. 30. “It was so humiliating to train somebody else to take over your job. I still can’t grasp it.”

A similar round of layoffs took place at companies such as Southern California Edison, Fossil, and Northeast Utilities. Tech giants like Facebook and Google have been lobbying furiously for Congress to increase its annual quota of H-1B visas for foreign workers.

In the case of Disney, which has also lobbied for an increase in H-1B visas, some of the employees were rehired to other position within the company, but “often at a lower pay level,” while many remain unemployed. The fired employees were offered bonuses to stay on an train their replacements. The process that was not without some awkward missteps:

“The first 30 days was all capturing what I did,” said the American in his 40s, who worked 10 years at Disney. “The next 30 days, they worked side by side with me, and the last 30 days, they took over my job completely.” To receive his severance bonus, he said, “I had to make sure they were doing my job correctly.”

In late November, this former employee received his annual performance review, which he provided to The New York Times. His supervisor, who was not aware the man was scheduled for layoff, wrote that because of his superior skills and “outstanding” work, he had saved the company thousands of dollars. The supervisor added that he was looking forward to another highly productive year of having the employee on the team.

The employee got a raise. His severance pay had to be recalculated to include it.

Though the Times piece described the debate over H-1B visas as “fierce,” it remains one of the least-discussed elements of so-called comprehensive immigration reform and the Senate’s “Gang of Eight” legislation, which calls for an increase in immigration levels across the board, including the number of visas for foreign tech workers.

Public opinion may be favorable toward a “path to citizenship” for a legal immigrants—by far the most-discussed element of immigration reform—but polls show that the American public is less inclined to favor a broad increase in immigration levels, or even an increase in high-skilled foreign workers.

The Times report does not reflect well on Disney, the parent company of ABC News and a major source of Democratic campaign donations. Its top lobbyist (who has been urging Congress to increase its allotment of H-1B visas) is a former executive director of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Disney CEO Bob Iger has given more than $400,000 to Democratic candidates (including Hillary Clinton) and campaign committees since 1999.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Wikileaks