Douglas County Libraries Digital Branch, by DouglasCountyLib

Douglas County Libraries Digital Branch, by DouglasCountyLib

Postby admin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Douglas County Libraries Digital Branch
by DouglasCountyLibraries.org
[Transcribed from the Youtube video by Tara Carreon]

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] Admit it -- you've wondered whether or not ...
we still need public libraries ...
in the 21st century, in the age of the Internet ...
in the age of the ebook reader.
The answer, of course, is yes.

Welcome to the Douglas County Libraries, the library of tomorrow.

I think in the 19th and 20th century ...
the purpose of a library ...
was to bring the world to the community. And I think where we are now is we're taking the community to the world.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] Our reality ...
has totally changed here.

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] The demand for econtent ...
is enormous.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] I've never seen things change so quickly in the library world.

[Monique Sendze, Associate Director of Information Technology] We're just trying to make the experience and access ...
better for our patrons.

DOUGLAS COUNTY LIBRARIES, VIRTUAL POWER WALL -- A DIGITAL DISPLAY

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] A tremendous percentage of the books that we check out get checked out because they are on display.
How do you display an ebook?

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] We've had power walls in our libraries ...
for a number of years.

[Monique Sendze, Associate Director of Information Technology] It's the whole idea of interactivity.

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] When you walk into the building, you would see this screen --

envision a wall-sized ipad, a touchscreen, that shows you the titles as it scrolls past.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] These displays are accessible from your computer, from your home ...
from mobile apps as well as large touchscreen apps within our libraries.
It's fun!

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] People are going to be drawn to it.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] You just want to touch it ...
and see what's going to happen.

[Monique Sendze, Associate Director of Information Technology] We really think that that's the future ...
of how you would want to browse ...
the virtual collection.

DOUGLAS COUNTY LIBRARIES: SEARCHING, DISCOVERABILITY, ACCESS MADE EASY WITH THE LIBRARY CATALOG

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] People want to find what they want easily.

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] We built a recommendation engine into our catalog.

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] It looks at my reading history and things I search ...
and it recommends other books.

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] We can push content to you ...
to kind of just make it easier to find those serendipitous connections between books.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] It's innovative.

[Monique Sendze, Associate Director of Information Technology] With a single search ...
you can really get to all of our assets.

DOUGLAS COUNTY LIBRARIES: VERSATILITY

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] If you can put it on a big screen, or you can put it on a catalog screen ...

then you should be able to put it on a small screen.

[Monique Sendze, Associate Director of Information Technology] A lot of our users ...
actually are accessing our resources ...
from mobile devices.

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] Whatever goes on to their device, they want us to have that.

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] So the first issue that we are trying to solve ...

is access.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] We are contacting the publishers to purchase these ebooks ...

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] ... so we can buy their files.
Everything that we're doing ...
we're going to make widely available.

[Monique Sendze, Associate Director of Information Technology] We can give our patrons a better user experience by providing them ...
the single point of entry.

DOUGLAS COUNTY LIBRARIES: FREEGAL

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] Freegal is fun! It's like itunes, but it's a library ...
and you don't have to pay anything for it.

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] A Sony catalog of over a half a million songs ...

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] ... and they're adding more all the time.

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] Download three songs a week, and they own it forever.

I just went to Freegal ...

and I downloaded it to my computer ...

and onto my ipod ...

and I'm out and running.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] We're blazing a path here with econtent.

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] We're changing the way libraries see themselves.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] More and more libraries will be saying, "This is what we need to be doing for our patrons."

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] Innovative, creative ...

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] ... one-stop shopping.

[Monique Sendze, Associate Director of Information Technology] Douglas County Libraries.

[Rochelle Logan, Associate Director of Support Services] Accessible.

[Deborah Margeson, Collection Services Manager] Convenient.

[Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County Libraries] The future is now.

DOUGLAS COUNTY LIBRARIES: THE FUTURE IS NOW.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Publishers vs. Libraries, With EBooks as the Battleground and Ownership as the Prize