Commission of Investigation: Report Into the Catholic Archdi

The impulse to believe the absurd when presented with the unknowable is called religion. Whether this is wise or unwise is the domain of doctrine. Once you understand someone's doctrine, you understand their rationale for believing the absurd. At that point, it may no longer seem absurd. You can get to both sides of this conondrum from here.

Re: Commission of Investigation: Report Into the Catholic Ar

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:25 am

Chapter 58: Complainants

Introduction

“The Church failed us. They failed us as Catholics. They failed me as a human being. They took my soul.”

58.1 That was how one of the complainants who gave evidence to the Commission described his viewpoint some 32 years after the event about which he had complained took place. His sentiment was echoed and re-echoed by other complainants who came forward to the Commission. Many of those who came forward were people whose sexual abuse as children, by clerics of the Dublin Archdiocese, had been confirmed, either by admissions of the priest concerned or by his conviction for the offences in the criminal courts. These witnesses were anxious that the Commission should understand and appreciate the potentially devastating long term effects of child sexual abuse, not merely on the child, but also on the wider family. A number of issues were raised.

Difficulties in relationships

58.2 A number of the complainants found great difficulty in establishing and maintaining close trusting and intimate relationships. Most of the male complainants stated that they had extreme difficulty in becoming intimate or expressing vulnerability with their partners. Some of the women had later entered into abusive relationships. One complainant, having received counselling for the effects of the abuse, stated that the happiest day of his life was the day he turned around when going out to work and for the first time picked up his two-year-old daughter and hugged her. Prior to receiving counselling he had been afraid to do so. Almost all of the complainants paid great tribute to their spouses or partners for their fortitude in dealing with their behaviour and trauma.

Effect on religious belief

58.3 A substantial number of the complainants and their families had ceased to be practising Catholics. Many of these people had played prominent roles, such as ministers of the Eucharist and altar boys, in their parishes. A number of them spoke of being ostracised both by the clergy and their fellow parishioners to whom they had complained. A number of them were visited by individual priests shortly after they had complained but they felt that this was done in an attempt to defuse the situation. Their perception was that as soon as the danger of publicity passed the visits ceased.

Transference of guilt

58.4 Some of the complainants were left with the feeling following the abuse that they were complicit in the abuse, such was their esteem for the priest. During much of the period under review, the status of priesthood seemed, in the minds of the complainants, to confer a special power. The use of this power to abuse children appears to be a classic illustration of the effect of the abuse of power on vulnerable people. Some complainants thought that since a priest would not voluntarily break his vows, the abuse must in some way have been their fault. For many of the complainants this belief persisted into adulthood and added to their mental trauma.

Stated effects of abuse

58.5 Many complainants recounted a feeling of worthlessness. They were told by their abusers that they were no good and they believed them. They spoke of ambitions being thwarted.

58.6 Some complainants told the Commission of friends who had been abused and who had subsequently committed suicide. It was their belief that the abuse was a major contributory factor. A number of the complainants themselves spoke of having suicidal tendencies. As described by the complainants, one of the most crippling aspects of the abuse was the development of a mentality in which the complainants saw themselves as powerless and helpless. These feelings arose even in people who had outwardly made a success of their lives.

58.7 Many of the complainants recounted a history of drug/and or alcohol abuse. Other problems identified by the complainants included difficulty managing anger, sexual compulsiveness, self destructive behaviour, depression, isolation and poor self esteem.

Fear of not being believed

58.8 A number of the complainants were concerned that they would not be believed if they reported the abuse. They thought themselves to be the only complainant. In fact in the majority of cases known to the Commission in which a child complained of abuse to their parents, the parents did believe them. Many parents went to great lengths to try to have the priests removed or to remove the child from any possible contact with the priest which, in at least one case, involved moving house.

58.9 Many of the complainants had not disclosed their childhood abuse until they had reached maturity. In a number of cases it was when they became more mature and realised that their interpersonal relationships were not what they hoped that they revealed the abuse. Given that the number of complainants known to the Commission is considerably less than the number of people whose abuse has been admitted by the priests in the representative sample, it is essential that the support programmes currently in place for complainants continue into the foreseeable future to ensure a support system for those who may yet come forward.

The effect on the families

58.10 “My parents are destroyed as parents. They live with the guilt of this every day.” The abuse reported in the 1970s and 1980s was in the main reported by parents. From the evidence given to the Commission, there is no doubt that the abuse also had an effect on families. This was compounded by what they perceived to be the dismissive attitude of the Archdiocese.

58.11 A mother, two of whose children had been subjected to horrific sexual abuse by a priest, and who continue to experience the effects two decades later, told the Commission: “He destroyed a family and destroyed the children that came after the children of the family, because everybody was and still is, so badly affected by it”.

58.12 A mother who attended the Commission with her daughter who had been abused on a number of occasions during Confession stated: “There isn‟t a day goes by that I don‟t think about it. I know people say it‟s stupid, you should forget about. You should put it out of your mind. But you can‟t. I can‟t anyway. I think, you know it will live with me forever”.

58.13 Some parents told the Commission that they still feel enormous, albeit entirely unwarranted, guilt that they had failed to notice the abuse and that they had failed to note the warning signs from their sons or daughters when they asked not to go with a particular priest. Some parents became alienated from their children. A number of children became alienated from their parents. However most of the families who gave evidence before the Commission have been reconciled; others, unfortunately, remain alienated.

Betrayal

58.14 One unifying strand in all of the complainants‟ evidence heard by the Commission was the sense of dismay and anger felt by them that their Church, in which they had placed the utmost faith and trust, had in their view, duped and manipulated them over the years and that it had done so in order to preserve its reputation and its assets. Unlike Church authorities, complainants did not perceive any distinction between their local church and the universal church. They were shocked by the growing realisation that their Church founded on a gospel of love, truth and justice could treat its own members, many of them defenceless children, so shabbily.

58.15 A common refrain amongst the complainants was that the nature of the apologies issued by the Archdiocese was general rather than specific. They stated that this type of apology was not sufficient to ease their personal pain. They felt that if they could meet someone in authority who would personally apologise to them for the hurt and trauma they had suffered this would greatly help them. Some acknowledged the fact that Archbishop Martin had met them personally and apologised to them.

58.16 Asked what he wished for from the investigation, Andrew Madden (see Chapter 24) stated that he wanted a full exposition of how the Dublin Archdiocese handled cases. He said: “I think it‟s important to expose the spinning and the mistruths that have been there.” Another complainant responded when asked the same question: “I‟d like them to take responsibility for things they did. I want them to realise that these abuses, people carry them through their whole life and even their own families can be victims afterwards. It‟s a cycle that has to be broken and these people have to realise the damage they‟re causing”.

58.17 A young man who claimed that he had been abused by Fr Tom Naughton (see Chapter 29) in Valleymount told the Commission:

“I want people to know that Tom Naughton abused people in Valleymount because I think it might help some people … because I think a lot of men now are probably thinking what I was thinking ten years ago, which is that it was my fault, I did something wrong ...”.

58.18 He was angry that even now, in his view, the Archdiocese was not making any real attempt to reach out to all those who had been abused. He said of the Archdiocesan officials: “you deal with me when I‟m a threat to you legally but when I‟m not a threat to you, you ignore me”. He wants them to set up a helpline independent of Church control that those complaining of abuse could contact because as he said: “it‟s the silent ones, the quiet ones who can‟t bring themselves to admit to either their families or their wives or their children, what‟s happened to them. They‟re living this horrible, horrible life. It‟s full of lies. It‟s full of deceit and they‟re really struggling with it”.

58.19 Marie Collins was particularly angered by the use by Church authorities of "mental reservation‟ in dealing with complaints. Mental reservation is a concept developed and much discussed over the centuries, which permits a churchman knowingly to convey a misleading impression to another person without being guilty of lying. For example, John calls to the parish priest to make a complaint about the behaviour of one of his curates. The parish priest sees him coming but does not want to see him because he considers John to be a troublemaker. He sends another of his curates to answer the door. John asks the curate if the parish priest is in. The curate replies that he is not. This is clearly untrue but in the Church‟s view it is not a lie because, when the curate told John that the parish priest was not in, he mentally reserved to himself the words "to you‟.

58.20 Cardinal Connell explained the concept of mental reservation to the Commission in the following way:

“Well, the general teaching about mental reservation is that you are not permitted to tell a lie. On the other hand, you may be put in a position where you have to answer, and there may be circumstances in which you can use an ambiguous expression realising that the person who you are talking to will accept an untrue version of whatever it may be - permitting that to happen, not willing that it happened, that would be lying. It really is a matter of trying to deal with extraordinarily difficult matters that may arise in social relations where people may ask questions that you simply cannot answer. Everybody knows that this kind of thing is liable to happen. So, mental reservation is, in a sense, a way of answering without lying.”

58.21 Both Marie Collins and Andrew Madden independently furnished the Commission with examples of how this concept was deployed by the Archdiocese in dealing with their complaints. In 2003, Mr Madden was invited to meet Cardinal Connell. In the course of an informal chat Cardinal Connell did apologise for the whole handling of the Fr Ivan Payne case. He was however at pains to point out to Mr Madden that he did not lie about the use of diocesan funds in meeting Fr Payne‟s settlement with Mr Madden. He explained that when he was asked by journalists about the use of diocesan funds for the compensation of complainants of child sexual abuse, he had responded that diocesan funds are not used for such a purpose; that he had not said that diocesan funds were not used for such a purpose. By using the present tense, he had not excluded the possibility that diocesan funds had been used for such purpose in the past. According to Mr Madden, Cardinal Connell considered that there was an enormous difference between the two.

58.22 After the conviction of Fr Edmondus* for the child sexual abuse of Mrs Collins and others in the criminal courts, in 1997, the Dublin Archdiocese issued a press statement claiming that they had co-operated with the Gardaí in relation to Mrs Collins‟s complaint. Mrs Collins was upset by that statement as she had good reason to believe that the Archdiocese‟s level of co-operation was, to say the least, questionable. Her support priest, Fr James Norman, subsequently told the Gardaí that he asked the Archdiocese about that statement and that the explanation he received was that “we never said we cooperated "fully‟”, placing emphasis on the word "fully‟.

Reporting to the Gardaí

58.23 Initially many complainants and their families were reluctant to report clerical child sexual abuse to the Gardaí. This was mainly because they did not wish to cause scandal to the Church. It is notable that by the time they gave evidence to the Commission, most of the complainants were of the view that the Gardaí were the appropriate people to whom to report. Many considered that there should be an obligation on the authorities, including the Church, to report all allegations and suspicions of child sexual abuse. In other words, they now support mandatory reporting.

Post 1995

58.24 While outwardly the Dublin Archdiocese may have appeared to have been striving to come to terms with its responsibilities in relation to child sexual abuse by clerics, and to "repair the scandal caused‟, by issuing apologies and by formulating guidelines for the future handling by the Church of complaints of child sexual abuse, the experience of individual complainants does not always bear this out according to their testimony. Complainants who came forward after 1995 were treated in much the same way as complainants had earlier been treated. Their complaints were received without comment. Until the latter end of the period under review they were generally told nothing of what the Archdiocese knew about the priest concerned.

58.25 Under the Framework Document (see Chapter 7), there were three important positions to be filled by the Archdiocese. First, there was to be an appropriately trained delegate who was to ensure the implementation of the protocol to be followed where a complaint of clerical child sexual abuse was received. Secondly, there was to be a support person who was to be available to the complainants and their families. Their role was to assist complainants and to facilitate them in gaining access to information and help, and to represent their concerns on an ongoing basis. Specifically, the support person was to:

consider any wishes of the complainant in regard to a pastoral response by the Church to his or her family;

be available to the complainant throughout any investigation which might ensue and thereafter as required;

ensure that the complainant was kept informed of developments in regard to the complaint;

represent the wishes and any therapeutic needs of the complainant to the delegate as required;

arrange, if considered helpful, a meeting between the complainant and the bishop.

58.26 Thirdly, the diocese was to appoint an adviser who was to be appropriately trained and who was take care of all the pastoral, legal and therapeutic issues arising for the accused priest. In essence, the adviser was to have the same duties towards the priest complained of as the support person had for the complainant.

58.27 If followed, the guidelines might have provided an "equality of arms‟ in relation to the Archdiocese‟s handling of complaints. It might have achieved a restoration of justice as required by Canon 1341. However the Archdiocese did not establish any proper support service for complainants until 2003 and then only after agitation from people like Mrs Collins.

58.28 A woman described to the Commission her experience of going to Archbishop‟s house alone to make a complaint in October 1998, two and a half years after the publication of the Framework Document: “I didn‟t go in the front gate on Drumcondra Road. I went in a very, very dark gate and up a flight of stone steps into a very dark room and that‟s where he spoke to me. He listened to what I had to say. That‟s all. He just listened. He was passive”.

58.29 After 1995 people began to issue civil proceedings for damages against the Archdiocese in increasing numbers. Seventy seven civil claims for damages have been made against the Dublin Archdiocese in respect of the priests in the representative sample. It is worth noting that the Archdiocese for many years relied fully, as of course it is entitled to do, on its legal rights in defending such claims during the period under review. The principle of "restorative justice‟ which the Archdiocese purports to espouse, was not applied to any claim seen by the Commission during the period of its remit. The Commission has learned that many cases are now mediated and complainants have found this process less intimidating.

58.30 Some complainants explained to the Commission that they brought civil proceedings out of frustration with the way in which they were being dealt with and on the advice of professionals. In the words of the woman whose two children were brutally abused:

“When people say were they compensated and was it adequate, we were just ordinary people. We weren‟t money orientated… It was through professional people who advised them, friends who advised them to go the way of compensation, but all they really wanted was to see justice done and to see him in court. They never got that day you know. So they live with that”.

58.31 Mrs Collins told the Commission that she no longer trusts her Church. After years spent trying to get her Church to deal openly and truthfully with the challenge posed to it by the scandal of child sexual abuse she has concluded that within the institutional Church there has been no change of heart, only a change of strategy. Is she right? Time will tell.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:28 am

Appendix 1 Timeline of Events of Significance to the Work of the Commission

1940 John Charles McQuaid was appointed Archbishop of Dublin.

1950 The Mother and Child Scheme was introduced by the Minister for Health to provide mothers with free maternity treatment and their children with free medical care up to the age of 16.

1951 The Mother and Child Scheme was dropped by the government following opposition from the Catholic Church and the medical profession. Dr Noel Browne resigned as Minister for Health.

1962 – 1965 Second Vatican Council was held in Rome. 1968 Humane Vitae Encyclical was promulgated by Pope Paul VI reaffirming the traditional teaching of the Catholic Church on abortion, contraception and other issues pertaining to human life.

1972 Archbishop McQuaid retired as Archbishop of Dublin. He was succeeded by Dr Dermot Ryan.

1973 Ireland joined the EEC. The Civil Service (Employment of Married Women) Act 1973 ended the requirement that women retire from the Civil Service on marriage. McGee – v – Attorney General The Supreme Court decided that a law prohibiting the importation, sale or advertising of contraceptives violated constitutional protections for marital privacy.

1977 Department of Health issued a Memorandum on Non-accidental injury to children. 650

1978 Cardinal Karol Wojtyla was elected Pope John Paul II, following the death of Pope John Paul I. 1979 The Health (Family Planning) Act 1979 provided that contraceptives may be dispensed by a pharmacist on presentation of a valid prescription for "bone fide family planning or adequate medical reasons‟. Pope John Paul II visited Ireland 1980 Guidelines on the Identification and Management of Non-Accidental Injury to Children were published by the Department of Health.

1983 The "Pro-Life‟ amendment to the Constitution was passed. This provided that the right to life of the unborn with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother be enshrined in the Constitution.

Revised "Guidelines on Non-Accidental Injury to Children‟ were published by the Department of Health.

1984 Dr Kevin McNamara, the bishop of Kerry, was appointed Archbishop of Dublin, following the appointment of Archbishop Ryan to the Roman Curia in 1983. Fifteen-year old Ann Lovett died after giving birth in a grotto outside the town of Granard, Co Longford. Her infant son also died.

The "Kerry Babies‟ Tribunal was established to investigate how Joanne Hayes and her family confessed to the killing of a new born baby found stabbed to death on a beach at Cahirciveen, Co Kerry. The Tribunal concluded that Joanne Hayes was not the mother of the baby and had no responsibility for the killing.651 It found that she was the mother of another new born baby whose body was found on the Hayes family farm. 1985 The Health (Family Planning) (Amendment) Act 1985 liberalised the law on contraception by allowing condoms to be sold to people over 18 without a prescription. Eileen Flynn was dismissed from her job as a secondary school teacher in a state-funded convent school when she gave birth to a baby as an unmarried mother, the father of the baby being a separated married man. 1986 The first divorce referendum was defeated. 1987 Guidelines on Procedures for the Identification, Investigation and Management of Child Abuse were published by the Department of Health Archbishop McNamara died.

1988 Dr Desmond Connell was appointed Archbishop of Dublin.  

1992 Bishop Eamonn Casey resigned as Bishop of Galway after revelations that he fathered a child 18 years previously.

In the X case, a pregnant, 14-year-old rape victim who was prevented from leaving Ireland to obtain an abortion in England appealed to the Supreme Court. The Court held that the Pro-Life Amendment gave a right to abortion in certain limited circumstances including when the mother‟s life is in danger. 652

A three-part referendum on abortion rights was held: The proposal to amend Article 40 of the Constitution so that it would be unlawful to terminate the life of an unborn unless such termination was necessary to save the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother was rejected. The proposal that the right to life of the unborn enshrined in Article 40 of the Constitution shall not limit the freedom to travel abroad for services was passed. The proposal that the right to life of the unborn enshrined in Article 40 of the Constitution shall not limit the freedom to obtain or make available, in the State, subject to such conditions as may be laid down by law, information relating to services lawfully available in another state was passed.

1993 Homosexuality was decriminalised. The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act

1993 repealed legislation prohibiting all homosexual acts between males and introduced 17 as the age of consent for homosexual activities.

1994 The Fianna Fail/Labour Coalition Government collapsed as a result of controversy over the failure to extradite Fr Brendan Smyth to Northern Ireland on charges of child sexual abuse.

1995 The second divorce referendum was passed.

The Regulation of Information (Services Outside the State for Termination of Pregnancies) Act 1995 was passed.

1996 The Framework Document was published.

1998 The Protections for Persons Reporting Child Abuse Act 1998 was passed, providing immunity from civil liability to persons who report child abuse "reasonably and in good faith" to the Health Board or the Gardaí.

1999 "Children First‘ National Guidelines for the protection and welfare of children were introduced by the Department of Health and Children.

2000 The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse in residential institutions was established.

2001 Archbishop Connell was created Cardinal. Archdiocesan seminary at Holy Cross College, Clonliffe, Dublin was closed.

2002 The fifth abortion referendum was defeated. It proposed to remove the threat of suicide as a grounds for legal abortion in Ireland and to introduce tough new penalties for those performing or assisting abortions. The BBC broadcast the Panorama programme "Suing the Pope‟ about the activities of Fr Sean Fortune in the diocese of Ferns. Bishop Brendan Comiskey resigned as Bishop of Ferns. RTE Prime Time special "Cardinal Secrets‟ investigated cases of child sexual abuse by clerics in Ireland. The Government announced an inquiry into the handling of child sexual abuse in the diocese of Ferns.

2004 Cardinal Connell retired as Archbishop of Dublin. Archbishop Martin was appointed as Archbishop.

2005 Pope John Paul II died. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was elected Pope Benedict XVI. Our Children, Our Church was published Report of the Ferns Inquiry was published.

2006 This Commission was established. The Supreme Court ruled that the section 1.1 of the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act 1935 was unconstitutional as it created an absolute offence which did not allow a male accused of unlawful carnal knowledge of an underage girl any defence, once the fact of sexual intercourse an act not in itself unlawful, was proved. The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006 was passed, providing for a defence of honest mistake as to age.

2007 A referendum on child protection was proposed. No date has yet been agreed for the referendum. The Government published the Bill to provide for Civil Partnerships for same-sex couples.

2009 Commission of Investigation into Child Abuse (Ryan Commission) published its report into the abuse of children in residential institutions and industrial schools.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:30 am

Appendix 2: Law on sexual offences

Introduction

A2.1 This chapter examines the legal framework within which allegations of child sexual abuse have been investigated, prosecuted and adjudicated upon in the criminal justice system in the period from 1975 to 2004 which is under review by the Commission. It sets out the applicable law on sexual abuse of children and the law on sexual offences in general where that impacts on the issues under review by the Commission.

Sexual assault

A2.2 The term "sexual assault‟ is often used to describe the entire range of offences involving sexual aggression by one person on another. However, in law, sexual assault has a specific meaning. During the period under review by the Commission the name of this offence has changed. Until 1990 it was known as "indecent assault‟. There were different penalties for a sexual assault on a male and on a female. Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990 (the 1990 Act) changed the name of the offence to sexual assault but it did not define the offence itself and, in fact, the offence has never been defined by statute. Therefore, the elements of the offence must be outlined from the relevant common law principles developed by the courts over the years. Essentially the offence consists of touching another person in a sexual way without that person‟s consent.  

A2.3 The elements required to prove that a sexual assault occurred are as follows:

(a) An assault must be proved to have been perpetrated by a person;

(b) The assault and the circumstances accompanying the assault must be shown to be indecent by the contemporary standards of right-minded people;

(c) The person who perpetrated the assault must be shown to have intended to commit an assault as referred to in (b) above.

Age of consent

A2.4 In general, where there is consent to sexual activity, there is no assault because the act is not committed against the person‟s wishes. However, under Irish law, a boy or a girl under the age of 15 is incapable at law of consenting to sexual activity. Section 14 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1935 provides:

―It shall not be a defence to a charge of indecent assault upon a person under the age of fifteen years to prove that such person consented to the act alleged to constitute such indecent assault‖.

A2.5 This means that a person who perpetrates a sexual act upon a child under the age of 15 years would be unable to avail of a defence that the child was consenting to the activity involved.  

A2.6 The law in relation to this issue was recently considered by the Supreme Court in July 2005 in the case of C.C. and P.G. v. Ireland.126 Following that decision, it is a defence for a person charged with a sexual assault offence to show that the activity was consensual and that he or she had made a genuine mistake as to the person‟s age when the conduct alleged to be a sexual assault occurred. There is no requirement for the mistake as to age made by the person to be objectively reasonable although the circumstances surrounding the alleged activity can be taken into account by the judge or jury in deciding if the mistake asserted by the person was genuine or not.

Sentencing for sexual assault

A2.7 Various laws prescribed the penalties for sexual assault in the time period under review by the Commission reflecting the changing attitudes of society to this type of offence. Differing penalties existed for an indecent assault perpetrated on a male and a female until the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990 was enacted. Prior to that, Section 62 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 provided a penalty of ten years penal servitude for an indecent assault on a male, whereas a maximum sentence of two years imprisonment could be imposed for an indecent assault on a female. That had remained the position until 1935 when Section 6 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1935 increased the penalty for indecent assault on a female to five years where the offence was a second or subsequent offence perpetrated by the offender in question. Following that, Section 10 of the Criminal Law (Rape) Act 1981 raised the penalty for sexual assault on a female to ten years imprisonment.  

A2.8 Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990 unified the law in this area and imposed a maximum five year penalty for all sexual assaults. The situation with regard to sexual assaults on children has now been further amended by Section 37 of the Sex Offenders Act 2001 which provides for more stringent penalties for the sexual assault of a minor. Section 37 of the Sex Offenders Act 2001 provides for a penalty of 14 years imprisonment for sexual assaults perpetrated on children under 17 years of age. For all other sexual assaults the maximum penalty that could be imposed was increased to ten years imprisonment. These apply only to offences committed after the Act came into force.  

A2.9 In the case of S.M. v. Ireland,127 Laffoy J. found that the distinction between the sentencing structure for indecent assault offences on males and females as laid down by Section 62 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 which applies to offences committed against males prior to 1990, was unconstitutional on the basis that it offended against the principle of equality before the law enshrined in Article 40.1 of the Constitution. Section 62 provided a penalty of up to ten years for an indecent assault on a male but only two years for a similar assault on a female. That decision means, in effect, that no statutory penalty now exists for the sexual assault of a male perpetrated before 1990 and common law principles apply to the sentencing in these cases. The practice being adopted by the courts following this decision appears to be to apply the two year maximum sentence for indecent assault on a female, to all such cases.

Aggravated sexual assault

A2.10 The offence of aggravated sexual assault was created under Section 3 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990. It is a gender neutral offence and is differentiated from general sexual assault by the level or threat of violence involved in the assault or the grave nature of the injury, humiliation or degradation caused to the person assaulted. It carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment. Section 3(1) defines the offence as follows:

―In this Act ‗aggravated sexual assault‘ means a sexual assault that involves serious violence or the threat of serious violence or is such as to cause injury, humiliation or degradation of a grave nature to the person assaulted‖.

Rape offences

A2.11 There are two forms of rape known to Irish law since the enactment of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990. There is rape as defined and created by the common law and now defined in Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape) Act 1981. In addition, there is also an offence of rape under Section 4 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990. Both offences carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and could be used in relation to the prosecution of child sexual abuse allegations in some instances.

Common law rape

A2.12 Rape as defined by the common law has been ascribed a definition by Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape) Act 1981 in the following terms:

―(1) A man commits rape if— (a) he has unlawful sexual intercourse with a woman who at the time of the intercourse does not consent to it, and (b) at that time he knows that she does not consent to the intercourse or he is reckless as to whether she does or does not consent to it, and references to rape in this Act and any other enactment shall be construed accordingly. (2) It is hereby declared that if at a trial for a rape offence the jury has to consider whether a man believed that a woman was consenting to sexual intercourse, the presence or absence of reasonable grounds for such a belief is a matter to which the jury is to have regard, in conjunction with any other relevant matters, in considering whether he so believed.‖

A2.13 As shown by the definition, common law rape can only be committed by a man on a woman. For such an offence to be proved the following elements must be shown to exist:

Sexual intercourse must have occurred, which means vaginal intercourse with the person must be proved. Intercourse is complete once there is any penile penetration of the vagina. There is no need to prove ejaculation by the man concerned;

An absence of consent from the female involved must be proved. The concept of "consent‟ for this offence is not defined by statute although consent obtained by the use of force or fraud or by an abuse of authority does not constitute consent in law. In addition, Section 9 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990 provides that a failure or omission to offer resistance to the doing of an act that is an offence if done without consent does not constitute consent to the act itself;

The man must intend to have intercourse with the woman and at the time of the intercourse he either knows that she is not consenting or is reckless as to whether she is or is not consenting.

Rape under Section 4 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990

A2.14 Rape under Section 4 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990 was introduced in the wake of calls for reform on the law on rape offences in the 1980s. The offence encompasses two different acts and carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. The following sexual assaults may constitute "Section 4 rape‟:

penetration (however slight) of the anus or mouth by the penis;

penetration (however slight) of the vagina by any object held or manipulated by another person.  

A2.15 One of the acts which constitute rape under Section 4 of the 1990 Act can be perpetrated by a female. What is colloquially known as "male rape‟ can be prosecuted under Section 4 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990 as a rape offence.

Offences perpetrated by males on other males

Buggery

A2.16 Until the enactment of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 1993 (the 1993 Act) all sexual acts between males were deemed to be criminal in nature. This applied irrespective of the age of the people involved and whether they consented to the acts involved. The 1993 Act decriminalised consenting sexual activity between males over the age of 17. Section 3 provided that it is an offence to commit or attempt to commit an act of buggery with any person under the age of 17 years, unless the defendant was married to or believed with reasonable cause that he or she was married to the person with whom buggery is committed.  

A2.17 There was no statutory definition of the buggery offence in the 1993 Act and O‟Malley‟s text on Sexual Offences128 quoted from another textbook as to the definition of the offence itself (where buggery is called sodomy):

―Everyone commits the [offence] called sodomy who (a)carnally knows any animal; or (b) being a male, carnally knows any man or any woman (per anum).‖

A2.18 The penalties for the offence of buggery are dependent on the age of the victim. Buggery of a person under the age of 15 could give rise to a maximum of life imprisonment while buggery of a person between 15 and 17 years of age could give rise to a maximum penalty of five years imprisonment for a first offence and ten years imprisonment for a second or subsequent offence. The attempted buggery of a person in either age band gives rise to graduated penalties depending on whether it is a first or subsequent offence. Consent provided no defence to a charge of buggery contrary to Section 3 of the 1993 Act.  

A2.19 It should be noted that Section 3 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 1993 has now been repealed and replaced by Section 2 and Section 3 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006. However, the discussion above is relevant as one of the acts which it is prohibited to perform with a person under the age of 17 years under the 2006 Act is that of buggery.

Gross Indecency

A2.20 Until 1993, Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885 prohibited acts which were described as ―outrages on decency‖. Section 11 of the 1885 Act provided:

―Any male person who, in public or in private, commits, or is a party to the commission of, or procures or attempts to procure the commission by any male person of, any act of gross indecency with another male person, shall be guilty of a misdemeanour...‖.

A2.21 The offence created under the 1885 Act covered actions between males irrespective of age. Both men had to be consenting to the activity in question and both parties had to be acting in concert. This offence was repealed under the 1993 Act and replaced with the offence of gross indecency. Section 4 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 1993 provided:

―A male person who commits or attempts to commit an act of gross indecency with another male person under the age of 17 years shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years‖.

A2.22 This offence was also age specific in that it applied to acts committed on or with a male under the age of 17. There was no statutory definition of gross indecency and general definitions have been adopted by the courts to deal with the matter. As with the definition of sexual assault, circumstances of gross indecency might be said to arise where there is a marked departure from the conduct expected by decent members of society but more specific examples of such conduct would depend on the situation concerned and whether it was done in public or in private. This offence has also been repealed and replaced by the offences created under Section 2 and Section 3 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006.

Unlawful carnal knowledge and replacement offences

Unlawful carnal knowledge

A2.23 Prior to May 2006 sexual intercourse with girls under the age of 17 years was criminalised by Sections 1 and 2 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1935. That legislation provided for an offence of having sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of 15 years with a penalty of up to life imprisonment and for a separate offence of having sexual intercourse with a girl between the age of 15 and 17, for which the penalty was set at five years for a first offence and ten years imprisonment for a second offence. Until the decision in C.C. v Ireland129, it was considered that neither consent on the part of the girl involved nor mistake on the part of the male as to her age would afford a defence to the offence. However, the Supreme Court held in the C.C. case that a criminal offence which creates absolute liability for an act which in itself was not criminal did not accord with the personal rights of the citizen guaranteed under the Constitution and that the lack of the availability of a defence for the male of mistake as to the girl‟s age in the circumstances of the particular case meant that the provisions of Section 1 of the 1935 Act were unconstitutional.

Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006

A2.24 Arising from that, the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006 was enacted. This created offences of defilement of a person under the ages of 15 and 17 years respectively. This criminalises "sexual acts" as defined under the legislation carried out with a child. Such sexual acts include sexual intercourse between people not married to each other, buggery, aggravated sexual assault and rape as defined by Section 4 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990. The section also provides for the defence of mistake as to age on the part of the male involved although it also stipulates that the absence or presence of reasonable grounds for such a belief is something that the tribunal of fact can have regard to in making a decision as to whether the belief in question was genuine.  

A2.25 Section 2 of the 2006 Act provides:

―(1) Any person who engages in a sexual act with a child who is under the age of 15 years shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for life or a lesser term of imprisonment. (2)...

(3) It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that he or she honestly believed that, at the time of the alleged commission of the offence, the child 663

against whom the offence is alleged to have been committed had attained the age of 15 years. (4) Where, in proceedings for an offence under this section, it falls to the court to consider whether the defendant honestly believed that, at the time of the alleged commission of the offence, the child against whom the offence is alleged to have been committed had attained the age of 15 years, the court shall have regard to the presence or absence of reasonable grounds for the defendant‘s so believing and all other relevant circumstances. (5) It shall not be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that the child against whom the offence is alleged to have been committed consented to the sexual act of which the offence consisted.‖

A2.26 Section 3 of the 2006 Act is in similar terms and relates to offences against people between 15 and 17 years old. It has a graduated system of penalties depending on whether the offence in question was the principal offence or an attempt of same and/or whether the perpetrator is convicted of a first offence or where the offence is a second or subsequent conviction of the person concerned.

Solicitation offences

A2.27 Until 1993 the only statutory law on soliciting was contained in the Vagrancy Act 1898, which contained an offence of "soliciting for immoral purposes". This was replaced by the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 1993 with a summary offence of soliciting or importuning another person for the purposes of committing a buggery, gross indecency or unlawful carnal knowledge. This offence acts to prevent the sexual exploitation of young people who are vulnerable.  

A2.28 In its original form Section 6 of the 1993 Act provided as follows:

―A person who solicits or importunes another person for the purposes of the commission of an act which would constitute an offence under section 3, 4 or 5 of this Act or section 1 or 2 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1935 , shall be guilty of an offence 664

and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both."

A2.29 This definition of the offence was changed in Section 250 of the Children Act 2001130 but that has been subsequently substituted by Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) (Amendment) Act 2007. Offences under this section now give rise to a maximum penalty on conviction on indictment of five years imprisonment. In its amended form, Section 6 of the 1993 Act provides that the soliciting must relate to the defilement of a young person under the ages of 15 or 17 respectively as defined under the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006 or a sexual assault offence. Section 6 of the 1993 Act now provides:

―6.—(1) A person who solicits or importunes a child (whether or not for the purposes of prostitution) for the purposes of the commission of an act that would constitute an offence— (a) under section 2 or 3 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006, or

(b) referred to in section 2 of the Act of 1990,

shall be guilty of an offence. (2)...‖

A2.30 This means that the soliciting or importuning of any child (meaning a person under the age of 17) for sexual intercourse, buggery, aggravated sexual assault, rape under Section 4 of the 1990 Act or for a sexual assault offence is covered by the section.

The Sex Offenders Act 2001 – notification requirements for sex offenders

A2.31 The Sex Offenders Act 2001 provides that those convicted of certain sexual crimes are required to notify certain information to the authorities - their name(s), address(es), their date of birth and travel arrangements outside of the State. These notification requirements also apply to people convicted of offences in other jurisdictions which contain similar legislation. Overall, the legislation seeks to ensure that some level of monitoring exists over the whereabouts and movements of sex offenders. The requirements of this Act are generally described in terms of being placed on a "sex offenders‟ register‟. There is no such register.  

A2.32 Section 10(1) of the 2001 Act also requires that the notification requirement for a sex offender in the State as follows:

―A person who is subject to the requirements of this Part shall, before the end of the period of 7 days beginning with the relevant date, or, if that date is prior to the commencement of this Part, that commencement, notify to the Garda Síochána— (a) his or her name and, where he or she also uses one or more other names, each of those names, and (b) his or her home address.‖

A2.33 Section 10(6) of the 2001 Act also outlines that the notification should include information about the person‟s date of birth, name and home address. These notification requirements also apply to a person who moves from the address that has been previously notified to the authorities. Requirements to notify the relevant Garda Station about travel arrangements are also imposed where the person intends to leave the State for more than seven days.  

A2.34 The ―relevant date‖ for complying with the notification requirement is defined by Section 6 of the 2001 Act and it refers to the date of conviction. The notification obligation is imposed on a sex offender from that date. The date of conviction may not itself be the date upon which the convicted sex offender would have to notify Gardaí of the relevant information. Section 10(7) of the 2001 Act stipulates that certain periods of time are to be disregarded when calculating the seven day period for notification purposes. Section 10(7) provides:

―For the purpose of determining any period for the purposes of subsection (1), (2), (3) or (4), there shall be disregarded any time when the person concerned is— (a) remanded in custody, (b) serving a sentence in prison, or (c) temporarily released under section 2 or 3 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1960.‖

A2.35 This means the sex offender‟s notification requirement would begin after release from prison where he/she is convicted and sentenced to a term of imprisonment on the same day. In those circumstances, where the sex offender receives a custodial sentence the notification requirement is imposed on him/her after his release from prison. After that, Section 12 of the 2001 Act imposes criminal liability for a failure to notify the relevant information to the Garda authorities within seven days of the sex offender‟s release.  

A2.36 The length of time that a person is subject to the notification requirements under the 2001 Act is set out in the Act. Where the person is sentenced to imprisonment for a term exceeding two years the notification period is indefinite. Where the term of imprisonment is between six months and two years the notification period is ten years. If the term of imprisonment imposed is less than six months then the notification requirement is imposed for seven years. Allowance is also made for a suspended sentence and a non-custodial sentence by imposing a notification period in both circumstances of five years.  

A2.37 In addition, the 2001 Act introduced post-release supervision orders. This means that the sentencing judge can impose orders which require the offender to be under the supervision of the probation service after release from prison and can also specify other conditions to be complied with by the person. The failure to comply with such supervision orders is a criminal offence under the 2001 Act. In addition, certain Garda officers can apply for "sex offender orders" under the 2001 Act to prohibit a person to whom the 2001 Act applies from doing certain things. Such orders can be made where the person was convicted of a sexual offence for the purposes of the 2001 Act and there are reasonable grounds for believing that an order under the section is necessary to protect the public from serious harm from him or her.

Child pornography and trafficking

Child Pornography

A2.38 The principal legislation in the area of visual representations of child abuse is the Child Trafficking and Pornography Act 1998 (the 1998 Act). Both the production, distribution and the possession of images and materials which constitute child pornography are prohibited under the 1998 Act. There is a wide definition of the materials that constitute prohibited materials under the 1998 Act. Section 2(1) of the 1998 Act defines ―child pornography‖ as including any visual, audio or computer generated representations, including documents, that

"(i) shows or, in the case of a document, relates to a person who is or is depicted as being a child and who is engaged in or is depicted as being engaged in explicit sexual activity (ii)...or relates to a person who is or is depicted as being a child and who is or is depicted as witnessing any such activity by any person or person...or …

(iii) whose dominant characteristic is the depiction, for a sexual purpose, of the genital or anal region of a child

(c) any visual or audio representation that advocates, encourages or counsels any sexual activity with children which is an offence under any enactment, or any visual representation or description of, or information relating to, a child that indicates or implies that the child is available to be used for the purpose of sexual exploitation within the meaning of section 3.‖

A2.39 The definition also includes photographs or negatives of same and storage devices.  

A2.40 As outlined above, the production, distribution, printing, publishing, importation, exportation, sale, showing, encouragement, facilitation and possession of child pornography are prohibited by the 1998 Act. Simple possession of child pornography can give rise to a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment whereas any of the activities prohibited by Section 5 of the 1998 Act, which include the production, distribution, importation and exportation of such images can give rise to a maximum sentence of 14 years imprisonment. The wide-ranging nature of the definition of child pornography is designed to ensure that such images and materials are captured by the remit of the 1998 Act and the prohibitions contained therein.

Child Trafficking

A2.41 The trafficking and taking of children for sexual exploitation was criminalised in the 1998 Act itself. However, that prohibition has been amended in more recent times by the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) (Amendment) Act 2007 and is now subject to further revision by the Criminal Law (Human Trafficking) Act 2008. Under Section 3 of the 1998 Act as originally enacted a person who organised or facilitated the entry or transit or exit through the State of a child for the purposes of sexual exploitation or the provision of accommodation for a child for such a purpose was guilty of an offence. The section also criminalised the taking, detention, or use of children for such purposes. Section 3 of the Criminal Law (Human Trafficking) Act 2008 has substituted Section 3 of the 1998 Act and provides that a person involved in child trafficking for the purposes of sexual exploitation can be sentenced to life imprisonment. The concept of "sexual exploitation" is defined by the 1998 Act (as substituted by the 2008 Act) and involves the following:

―'sexual exploitation‘ means, in relation to a child—

(a) inviting, inducing or coercing the child to engage in prostitution or the production of child pornography,

(b) the prostitution of the child or the use of the child for the production of child pornography,

(c) the commission of an offence specified in the Schedule to the Sex Offenders Act 2001 against the child; causing another person to commit such an offence against the child; or inviting, inducing or coercing the child to commit such an offence against another person,

(d) inviting, inducing or coercing the child to engage or participate in any sexual, indecent or obscene act, or

(e) inviting, inducing or coercing the child to observe any sexual, indecent or obscene act, for the purpose of corrupting or depraving the child...‖  

A2.42 Section 3(2A) and Section 3(2B) of the Child Trafficking and Pornography Act 1998 (as inserted by the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) (Amendment) Act 2007) provide for offences where a person intentionally meets or travels to meet a child for the purposes of doing anything that would constitute ‗sexual exploitation‟, for which the definition outlined above applies. Section 3(2A) criminalises someone who meets or travels to meet a child within the State for sexual exploitation purposes whereas Section 3(2B) of the 1998 Act introduces a partial extraterritorial offence where a citizen (or person ordinarily resident in the State) meets or travels to meet a child outside of the State for such purposes. For both offences it is necessary to show that the person met or communicated with the child on two or more previous occasions and is doing so for the proscribed purpose. A person convicted of this offence is liable on conviction to a maximum sentence of up to 14 years imprisonment.

Sexual Offences (Jurisdiction) Act 1996

A2.43 The enactment of the Sexual Offences (Jurisdiction) Act 1996 (the 1996 Act) ensures that sexual offences committed by citizens of the State or by those ordinarily resident in the State against a child (meaning somebody under 17 years old) can be prosecuted in this jurisdiction if the activity in question would also constitute an offence under the law of the country in which the activity occurred. This allows the State to prosecute people for offences which might be known in colloquial terms as "sex tourism‟ whereby people travel abroad to perpetrate offences against children and then journey back to the State.  

A2.44 In addition, Section 3 of the 1996 Act creates the offence of knowingly transporting a person for the purposes of enabling the other person to commit an offence against a child in another jurisdiction while Section 4 of the 1996 Act prohibits the publication of information intended to or likely to promote, advocate or incite the commission of an offence by a person under Section 2 of the 1996 Act. Thus, this legislation acts to ensure that advertising of such "sex tourism‟ is also prohibited in wide terms to ensure that it cannot be accessed by those wishing to perpetrate offences against children abroad. It should also be noted that Section 7 of the Criminal Law (Human Trafficking) Act 2008 provides for extra-territorial jurisdiction in relation to the prosecution of people for child trafficking offences concerned with the sexual exploitation of children, although those offences created by Section 3(2A) and Section 3(2B) of the Child Trafficking and Pornography Act 1998 are excluded from this extraterritorial jurisdiction.

Reckless endangerment

A2.45 In response to a recommendation in the Ferns Report, the offence of reckless endangerment was introduced by Section 176 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006. It applies to the activities or omissions of those in authority which causes or permits a child to be left in a situation of substantial risk of serious harm or sexual abuse and criminalises such actions or omissions. In addition, the section also stipulates that it is an offence to fail to take reasonable steps in that regard to ensure that children, as defined under the Criminal Justice Act 2006, under their care or authority are free from sexual abuse or serious harm.  

A2.46 This offence is extensive in its terms in criminalising the behaviour of authority figures that cause, permit or otherwise fail to act in the face of a situation where they know that there is a "substantial risk" to a child of such harm or sexual abuse ensuing from a failure to act. The penalty for such an offence is a maximum term of ten years imprisonment.  

A2.47 Section 176 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 provides:

―(1) In this section— ―abuser‖ means an individual believed by a person who has authority or control over that individual to have seriously harmed or sexually abused a child or more than one child; ―child‖ means a person under 18 years of age, except where the context otherwise requires; ―serious harm‖ means injury which creates a substantial risk of death or which causes permanent disfigurement or loss or impairment of the mobility of the body as a whole or of the function of any particular member or organ; 671

―sexual abuse‖ means an offence under paragraphs 1 to 13 and 16(a) and (b) of the Schedule to the Sex Offenders Act 2001. (2) A person, having authority or control over a child or abuser, who intentionally or recklessly endangers a child by— (a) causing or permitting any child to be placed or left in a situation which creates a substantial risk to the child of being a victim of serious harm or sexual abuse, or (b) failing to take reasonable steps to protect a child from such a risk while knowing that the child is in such a situation, is guilty of an offence… (4) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:35 am

Appendix 3: Glossary of Terms

Ad Limina visit: Each bishop of a diocese is obliged to visit, at stated times, the "thresholds of the Apostles", Saints Peter and Paul, and to present themselves before the Pope to give an account of the state of their dioceses. The last Ad Limina visit made by the Archbishop of Dublin was in 2006. Administrative leave: A procedure whereby a priest accused of sexual abuse steps aside, without any admission of guilt, from his responsibilities, including any parish commitment, while an investigation takes place.

Advisory panel: A panel set up by bishops and heads of religious orders to advise them in dealing with allegations of clerical child sexual abuse. The functions of the panel were set out in the Framework Document (see Chapter 7). The advisory panel is sometimes called the advisory group but the functions are the same.

Archbishop‘s House: The headquarters of the Archdiocese of Dublin.

Archdiocese: In this report means the Archdiocese of Dublin.

Canon law: The body of law by which the Catholic Church is governed.

Chancellery: The office of the Archdiocese which assists in the discharge of the functions of the chancellor.

Chancellor: In canon law, the person who is to ensure that the acts of the curia are drawn up and dispatched and that they are kept safe in the archives of the curia. In the Archdiocese of Dublin as in many other dioceses, his principal duty is to attend to canon law matters on behalf of the Archdiocese.

Child: A person who has not yet reached his or her 18th birthday.

Child abuse guidelines: Guidelines issued at various dates by the Department of Health – see Chapter 6.

Children First: The current guidelines in relation to child sexual abuse issued in 1999 by the Department of Health and Children.

Child Protection Service: The office in the Archdiocese of Dublin which now deals with all complaints of child sexual abuse (see Chapter 3).

Child sexual abuse: child sexual abuse occurs when a child is used by another person for his or her gratification or sexual arousal or that of others.

Church: The Catholic Church

Church Penal Process: This is the canon law judicial process to investigate an allegation of an offence and to determine whether or not to impose or declare a penalty for that offence. There is also a non judicial process.

Clergy: Bishops, priests and deacons.

Conference of Bishops/Episcopal Conference: The gathering of all bishops in a defined area. The Irish Bishops‟ Conference is the single conference of bishops for the island of Ireland.

Conference of Religious of Ireland (CORI): An umbrella body for more than 130 religious congregations across the whole of Ireland. (This organization was previously known as the Conference of Major Religious Superiors.) The purpose of the Conference is to serve the leaders of these congregations and through them the members. It provides a forum where religious can work together on the mission they hold in common.

Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF): is one of the offices which assists the Pope in governing the universal Church. It was originally founded in 1542 as the Congregation of the Sacred Inquisition. Its main function now is to promote and safeguard the doctrine on faith and morals throughout the Catholic world: everything which in any way touches such matters falls within its remit. It deals with cases of child sexual abuse against clerics.

Curia: The Roman curia consists of the departments and ministries that assist the Pope in the government of the universal Church. A diocesan curia is composed of those people who assist a bishop to govern his diocese.

Delegate: In canon law, the person appointed by a bishop or head of a religious order to conduct the preliminary investigation into an allegation of clerical child sexual abuse; in the Framework Document, the delegate is the person appointed to oversee and implement the procedures for handling allegations of clerical child sexual abuse.

Discovery: The legal term to describe the provision of documents by one party to another in legal proceedings.

Faoiseamh: an organisation which provides telephone counselling and a counselling and psychotherapy referral service for people who have been sexually, physically or emotionally abused by priests or religious. It is funded by the Conference of Religious of Ireland (CORI) and by a number of Catholic dioceses including the Archdiocese of Dublin.

Fr Brendan Smyth: He was a Norbertine priest who received widespread media coverage in 1994 when he pleaded guilty to 74 cases of child abuse in Ireland. He was sentenced to 12 years imprisonment and he died in prison. The perceived failure to extradite him to Northern Ireland to face similar charges created political controversy and led to the fall of the Fianna Fáil/Labour coalition government in late 1994.

Ferns Report: The report into the handling of complaints and allegations of clerical child sexual abuse in the diocese of Ferns was published in October 2005.

Formation: The education and spiritual development of those training for the priesthood or religious life.

Framework Document: Report and Recommendation of the Irish Catholic Bishops‟ Advisory Committee on Child Sexual Abuse by Priests and Religious. Also known as the Green Book. It was issued in 1996 and replaced by Our Children, Our Church in 2005.

Holy See: The term refers to the seat of power of the pope as Pastor of the Universal Church together with other organs of government of the Roman Curia. The term Apostolic See is also used.

Incardinated and excardinated: Diocesan priests who are ordained for the service of a diocese are said to belong to that diocese. Priests from other dioceses may apply to become a priest in a diocese. After a period, the priest may apply to be "incardinated‟ into the diocese in which he is working. If this is agreed between the two dioceses, he is "excardinated‟ from his original diocese and "incardinated‟ into the new diocese.

Laicisation: This is a term used to describe the situation where a priest successfully applies to be relieved of his priestly duties. Norms: rules or procedures.

Ordinary: This is a term used in canon law to describe all of those who have ordinary executive power. This includes diocesan bishops, vicars general and major superiors of clerical religious institutes.

Our Children, Our Church: Child Protection Policies and Procedures for the Catholic Church in Ireland. It was issued in 2005 and is the follow up to the Framework Document.

Papal Nuncio: The Ambassador of the Holy See to Ireland – see Chapter 3.

Paramountcy principle: The principle that the welfare of the child is the paramount concern.

Precept: an order from a bishop to a priest – usually restricting him in carrying out some or all of his priestly functions.

Risk assessment: The process of determining whether a person presents a degree of risk to a child.

Secret archives: This is a safe or cabinet where documents which are of great sensitivity need to be kept in conditions of maximum security. Examples of such documents include documents relating to clerical child sexual abuse.

Standards of Proof Balance of Probabilities: The standard applied in civil proceedings: is this evidence more likely than not to be true. This was the test applied by the Commission to the evidence it received. Beyond a reasonable doubt: The standard of proof applicable in criminal proceedings.

Moral certainty: The standard of proof required for judicial decisions in canon law.

State Agencies: The Gardaí, the Department of Education and Science and the Health Service Executive (HSE) (and former health boards).

Supply work: This is the term which is used where a priest asks another priest (not necessarily from the same diocese) to carry out his parish duties while he is away for whatever reason. In the Archdiocese of Dublin, supply work is frequently carried out by members of religious orders and societies. It may also be carried out, for example, by priests who are visiting from abroad.

Suspension: A penalty available under canon law which debars a priest from exercising his priestly ministry for a limited period.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:36 am

Appendix 4: Map of the Archdiocese of Dublin
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:38 am

Appendix 5: Bibliography

Allen, J. L., Opus Dei: The Truth about its Rituals, Secrets and Power (London: Penguin Books, 2006).

Beal, J.P., Coriden, J.A. & Green, T.J., New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law (New York: Paulist Press, 2000).

Bergin, L., According to your word: Proceedings of a conference held at the Pontifical Irish College Rome to honour Desmond Cardinal Connell on his eightieth birthday (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007).

Buckley, H., Child Protection and Welfare; Innovations and Interventions (Dublin: Institute of Public Administration, 2002).

Clarke, D. M., Church & State (Cork: Cork University Press, 1984).

Conway, E., Duffy, E. & Shields, A., The Church and Child Sexual Abuse: Towards a Pastoral Response (Dublin: The Columba Press, 1999).

Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, The SAVI Report: Sexual Abuse and Violence in Ireland: A National Study of Irish Experiences, Beliefs and Attitudes Concerning Sexual Violence (Dublin: The Liffey Press, 2002).

Fuller, L., Irish Catholicism since 1950: The Undoing of a Culture (Dublin: Gill & Macmillan, 2002).

Gonsiorek, J. C., Breach of Trust: Sexual Exploitation by Health Care Professionals and Clergy (London: Sage Publications Inc., 1995).

Goode, H., McGee, H. & O‟Boyle, C., Time to Listen: Confronting Child Sexual Abuse by Catholic Clergy in Ireland (Dublin: The Liffey Press, 2003).

Inglis, T., Lessons in Irish Sexuality (Dublin: University College Dublin Press, 1998).

Inglis, T., Moral Monopoly: The Rise and Fall of the Catholic Church in Modern Ireland (Dublin: University College Dublin Press, 1998).

Jenkins, P., Pedophiles and Priests: anatomy of a contemporary crisis (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996).

Law Reform Commission, LRC 32-1990, Consultation Paper on Child Sexual Abuse (Dublin: Law Reform Commission, 1989).

Law Reform Commission, LRC 24-1988, Rape and Allied Offences (Dublin: Law Reform Commission, 1988).

Lawler, P. F., The Faithful Departed: The Collapse of Boston‘s Catholic Culture (London: Encounter Books, 2008).

Lyons, E., Partnership in Parish: A Vision for Parish Life, Mission and Ministry (Dublin: The Columba Press, 1993).

Lytton, T.D., Holding Bishops Accountable: How Lawsuits Helped the Catholic Church Confront Clergy Sexual Abuse (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2008).

Madden, A., Altar Boy: A Story of Life after Abuse (Dublin: Penguin Books, 2004).

McKenna, K. E., The Ministry of Law in the Church Today (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 1998).

O'Sullivan, E. & Rafferty, M., Suffer the Little Children: The Inside Story of Ireland‘s Industrial Schools (Dublin: New Island Books, 1999).

Robinson, Bishop G., Confronting Power and Sex in the Catholic Church: Reclaiming the Spirit of Jesus (Dublin: Columba Press, 2007).

Rossetti, S.J., A Tragic Grace: The Catholic Church and Child Sexual Abuse (Collegeville, Minn.: The Liturgical Press, 1996).

The Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland, The Canon Law Letter & Spirit; A Practical Guide to the Code of Canon Law (London: Geoffrey Chapman, 1995).

Travers, O., Behind the Silhouettes: Exploring the Myths of Child Sexual Abuse (Belfast: The Blackstaff Press Limited, 1999).
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:44 am

Appendix 6: Commission Personnel

2006 - 2009 Chairperson

Judge Yvonne Murphy

Commissioners

Ms Ita Mangan Mr Hugh O‟Neill

Legal Team

Ms Maeve Doherty Solicitor
Ms Deirdre Murphy SC
Mr Donal McGuinness Barrister

Administration

Name/ Date commenced

Ms Nóra Ní Dhomhnaill / March 2006 (Commission Manager)
Mr Oisín Russell-Conway / August 2007
Ms Bernie McAdam / June 2006
Ms Tara Brennan / April 2007
Ms Edel Murray / May 2007
Mr John Byrne / March 2006

Legal Researchers

Name / Date commenced

Ms Karina O'Leary / October 2007
Ms Veronica Buckley / November 2007

This following lists people who worked for some period of time with the Commission:

Administration

Name / From / To

Mr Anthony McGrath / March 2006 / September 2007
Ms Noeleen Kelly / March 2006 / October 2006
Ms Alice Baxter / May 2006 / May 2007

Legal Researchers

Name / From / To

Ms Gemma Ní Chaoimh / May 2006 / November 2007
Mr James Mulcahy / May 2006 / October 2007
Ms Niamh Kelleher / October 2006 / November 2007

Additional Research

Ms Agatha Clancy Barrister
Ms Elizabeth Donovan Barrister
Mr Tony McGillicuddy Barrister
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:46 am

Notes:

1 Names marked with an asterisk are pseudonyms.

2 Mc Grady, A., Registrar of the Mater Dei Institute Dublin, “Brokenness of the Irish Church” in Liam Bergin (ed) According to Your Word, (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007).

3 Irish Catholic Bishops‟ Advisory Committee on Child Sexual Abuse: Child Sexual Abuse: Framework for a Church Response, (Dublin: Veritas Publications, 1996).

4 Scicluna, Charles J., “Sexual Abuse of Children and Young People by Catholic Priests and religious: Description of the Problem from a Church perspective” in Hanson, Pfäfflin and Lütz (eds) Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church: Scientific and Legal Perspectives (Rome: Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2003).

5 Office of the Attorney General Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The Sexual Abuse of Children in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston (Boston: Office of the Attorney General Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 2003).

6 The report of the inquiry into the handling of clerical child sexual abuse allegations in the diocese of Ferns was published in October 2005.

7 Office of the Attorney General Commonwealth of Massachusetts Ibid at page 5.

8 This definition was originally proposed by the Western Australia Task Force on Child Sexual Abuse, 1987 and is adopted by the Law Reform Commission (1990) Report on Child Sexual Abuse, p.8.

9 Liability for damages and the amount of such damages.

10 In this report, the term „religious order‟ is used to cover all such orders, institutes and societies in respect of those cases where the priest is not named.

11 The curia in a diocese is the offices supporting the bishop in the administration of the diocese. The Roman Curia is the ensemble of departments or ministries which assist the Pope in the government of the Church.

12 This is now known as the Conference of Religious of Ireland (CORI).

13 Huels, “Introduction” in J Beal et al (eds) New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law (New York: Paulist Press, 2000).

14 Canon 11.

15 It should be noted that “civil law” in this context refers to the entire law of the State and is not used to refer to civil law as distinct from criminal law.

16 Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland Canon Law: Letter & Spirit: A Practical Guide to the Code of Canon Law (London: Geoffrey Chapman, 1995).

17 The Decalogue is the Ten Commandments. Section one of canon 1395 deals with clerics living in concubinage whereas section two deals with child sexual abuse.

18 Author of “The Canonical Rights of Priests Accused of Sexual Abuse” (1990) 24 (2) Studia Canonica 335 – 336.

19 Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland, supra note 16, p 805.

20 This translation from the Latin of the Roman order was provided by the Missionary Society of St Columban.

21 That is, behaviour that has always been regarded by the courts as an offence, as opposed to an offence that was created by a statutory provision.

22 The reasons for this policy are explained on the DPP‟s website. In October 2008, the DPP announced the introduction of a gradual change in that policy: www.dpp.ie.

23 B v DPP [1997] 3 IR 140; Supreme Court Decision of Denham J delivered 19 February 1997.

24 H v DPP [2000] IESC 55; Supreme Court decision of Murray CJ delivered 31 July 2006. 97

25 In PP v DPP [2000] 1 IR 403.

26 A comprehensive description of the development of policy in relation to child protection is given in O‟Sullivan Eoin, “Residential Child Welfare in Ireland 1965 – 2008” in Report of the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse (Dublin: Stationery Office, 2009) (The Ryan Report).

27 It was amended by the Children Acts of 1910, 1929, 1934, 1941 and 1957.

28 The State (D and D) v G and others [1990] IRLM 130.

29 Minister for Health, 2nd stage speech, Children Bill 1989; Dáil Reports, 7 November 1989.

30 Ibid

31 Minister for Health, 2nd Stage speech, Child Care Bill 1988; Dáil Reports 14 June 1988

32 Statutory Instrument 397/1996

33 Statutory Instrument 349/1992

34 [1997] IEHE 26 107

35 Statutory Instrument 117/1971.

36 Health (Eastern Regional Health Authority) Act 1999; Statutory Instrument 68/2000.

37 Health Act 2004; the relevant parts came into effect on 1 January 2005.

38 The HSE provided the Commission with a very helpful Report on the Context of Development and Operation of Social Work Services in Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow. This description is based on that report and on evidence given to the Commission by a number of social workers.

39 This mainly dealt with psychiatric hospitals.

40 Community care covered a range of services including child developmental health services, immunisation, school health services, the Public Health Nursing service, Home Helps, community services for older people and people with disabilities as well as social work services.

41 This did not happen in other health board areas.

42 One of the managers told the Commission that, in practice, they spent more time on urgent matters relating to individual cases.

43 This did not happen in other health board areas; child abuse continued to be the responsibility of the programme manager, community care in the other seven health boards.

44 This happened throughout the country.

45 The Commission understands that the Southern Health Board adopted a different practice; childcare managers there did manage social workers.

46 Goode, McGee, O‟Boyle: Time To Listen: Confronting Child Sexual Abuse by Catholic Clergy in Ireland (Dublin: The Liffey Press, 2003) 120

47 Goode, McGee, O‟Boyle: Time To Listen: Confronting Child Sexual Abuse by Catholic Clergy in Ireland (Dublin: The Liffey Press, 2003).

48 The Irish Bishops‟ Conference, The Conference of Religious of Ireland, The Irish Missionary Union: Our Children, Our Church: Child Protection Policies and Procedures for the Catholic Church in Ireland; (Dublin: Veritas Publications, 2005)

49 Names marked with an asterisk are pseudonyms.

50 Providing preparatory or introductory teaching.

51 Apostolic Exhortation on the Formation of Priests in the Circumstances of the Present Day promulgated in March 1992 by Pope John Paul II.

52 Names marked with an asterisk are pseudonyms.

53 Gee is Dublin slang for female genitalia.

54 This is a pseudonym.

55 In fact, Fr Edmondus had a sister so either he was clearly not telling the whole truth to the Archbishop or the Archbishop chose to ignore it.

56 This is published annually by the Archdiocese and includes, among other things, the names of the priests serving in the various parishes and other services of the Archdiocese.

57 This is an accurate statement (see Chapter 7).

58 This is a pseudonym.

59 This is a pseudonym.

60 The term "head of the Society‟ is used to describe anyone in authority in the Society.

61 Sexual attraction to adolescents.

62 This is a pseudonym.

63 This is a pseudonym.

64. [Blank]

65. [Blank]

66. [Blank]

67 A parish in which he had earlier been a curate.

68 [Blank]

69 As reported to have been said by Henry II in respect of Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury (later St Thomas) in the 12th century.

70 www.bishopaccountability.org

71 Note that there is no reference to his stay in Jemez Springs in 1982 and again in 1983.

72 This is a reference to the Stardust fire which, of course, took place in a night club, not a school. Fr had never been a teacher.

73 This is untrue to the best of the Commission‟s knowledge.

74 This is an annual publication published by the Archdiocese listing, among other things, the names of the priests serving in the Archdiocese.

75 This is a pseudonym.

76 This is a pseudonym.

77 This hospital is now called Our Lady‟s Children‟s Hospital, Crumlin.

78 Including Andrew Madden; technically, this compensation was paid by Fr Payne himself but it was largely financed by the Archdiocese – see below.

79 Our Lady‟s Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin is a scheduled institution for the purposes of the Residential Institutions Redress Act 2002. All dealings with the Residential Institutions Redress Board are strictly confidential and it is an offence under Section 28 of the Act to disclose information about claims under the Act.

80 Andrew Madden has described his experiences in his book Altar Boy: A Story of Life after Abuse (Dublin: Penguin Books, 2004).

81 In canon law, “Officialis‟ is the title of a diocesan bishop's judicial vicar. The title “Judicial Vicar‟ is now more generally used. The Judicial Vicar shares the bishop's judicial power over the diocese and presides over the diocesan ecclesiastical court. The Vice Officialis is the assistant or associate Judicial Vicar.

82 Catholic Online: Catholic Encyclopedia: http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia

83 Op cit

84 McMahon and Binchy, Law of Torts, (Dublin: Butterworths, 2000)

85 Cardinal Daly, Archbishop of Armagh; the Fr Brendan Smyth controversy was raging at this time.

86 This is a pseudonym.

87 The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse was established under the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse Act 2000 to investigate abuse in residential institutions for children. It issued its report in May 2009.

88 This is a pseudonym.

89 It is not clear to the Commission that the relevant people were ever contacted.

90 The Granada Institute has pointed out to the Commission that it never assumed that Fr Septimus‟s accusations against Monsignor Stenson were valid.

91 This canon refers to a priest being impeded by reason of insanity or some other psychological infirmity.

92 This was a programme to encourage the fostering of children over the age of ten.

93 Apparently there were allegations about an actor in Coronation Street that he had abused young girls in a swimming pool.

94 Monsignor Stenson has asked the Commission to point out that the question of sending Fr Carney to Stroud was being considered and there were concerns about whether or not this would be appropriate as a DPP decision was pending.

95 Praeter intentionem literally means beyond the intention; it is a philosophical term used to distinguish between an intended consequence and an unintended consequence.

96 The Residential Institutions Redress Board was established under the Residential Institutions Redress Act 2002 to award redress to people who had been abused in children‟s homes. The proceedings of the board are entirely confidential.

97 Fr Naughton‟s words

98 This is a pseudonym.

99 This is a pseudonym.

100 This is a pseudonym.

101 An indult of exclaustration is the canon law procedure used when a member of a religious order leaves the order to work in a parish.

102 This is a pseudonym.

103 Moone, Co Kildare is the headquarters of the Cistercian Order.

104 This is a pseudonym.

105 This is a pseudonym.

106 The complaints were dealt with by the head of the order in Ireland and/or the delegate appointed to deal with child abuse. The term “head of the order” or the “order” is used throughout to describe those in authority who were dealing with the complaints.

107 This is a pseudonym.

108 The term “head of the order” is used to describe a person in authority in the order. Sometimes this is the actual head, sometimes his deputy and sometimes the delegate.

109 This is a pseudonym.

110 This is a pseudonym.

111 This is a pseudonym.

112 This is a pseudonym.

113 This is a pseudonym.

114 This is a pseudonym.

115 This is a pseudonym.

116 This is a pseudonym.

117 This is a pseudonym.

118 This is a pseudonym.

119 This is a pseudonym.

120 This is a pseudonym.

121 This is a pseudonym.

122 This is a pseudonym.

123 This is a pseudonym.

124 This is a pseudonym.

125 This is a pseudonym.

126 (2006) IESC 33.

127 Unreported, High Court 12 July 2007 (Laffoy J.).

128 O‟Malley, T, Sexual Offences: Law, Policy and Punishment (Dublin: Roundhall/Sweet & Maxwell, 1996).

129 [2006] 4 IR 1.

130 Section 250 of the Children Act 2001 provided as follows: "The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act, 1993, is hereby amended by the substitution for section 6 of the following: "6. A person who solicits or importunes another person (whether or not for the purposes of prostitution) for the purposes of the commission of an act which would constitute an offence under section 3, 4 or 5 of this Act or section 1 or 2 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1935, shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both.‟."
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:47 am

INDEX

Note: Names in bold indicate priests in the representative sample An asterisk* after a name denotes a pseudonym References are to chapter number followed by paragraph number administrative leave, 4.45 - 4.50 Advisory Committee on Extra-Diocesan Priests, 33.4 advisory panel. see child protection advisory panel (Dublin Archdiocese) Africa, 29.1, 39.1, 39.21 Alameda (Santa Fe), 20.62 Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), 28.68, 28.77, 28.81, 37.25, 37.40, 37.41 Allianz Group, 9.1 altar boys, complaints concerning, 12.5, 12.21, 16.12, 17.6, 20.4-20.8, 20.5, 20.15-20.17, 20.36, 20.88, 22.3, 22.14, 24.46, 28.29-28.32, 29.30, 31.2, 36.5, 41.19, 42.14, 43.2, 43.4, 43.11,50.2,50.3 American Canon Law Association, 4.31 American Conference of Bishops, 3.42 anonymous complaints, 1.29, 4.35 apologies, 13.49, 16.58, 58.20, 58.23 Aquila*, Fr, 46.1-46.11 Aran Quay parish, 12.4 Archbishop McQuaid Charitable Trust, 8.22 Archbishop McQuaid Curial Trust, 8.22 Archbishop Walsh Charitable Trust, 8.22 archbishops of Dublin, 1.16, 1.31, 1.64, 11.13. see also individual archbishops awareness of complaints, 1.19-1.21 failure to report to Gardai, 1.32 handling of complaints, 1.36-1.46, 3.18-3.23 legal status, 3.8 management ability, 1.55 metropolitan archbishop, role as, 3.13, 3.14 archdiocesan documents. see also secret archive discovery process, 2.17-2.35 Garda access to, 5.27-5.33 legal privilege, 2.25-2.32, 5.30-5.31 shredding of, 15.17-15.18 Archdiocese of Dublin. see Dublin Archdiocese archives. see secret archive Arran Quay parish, 52.3 Artane Industrial School, 26.3, 26.17 Attorney General of Massachusetts, 1.28, 1.108, 1.110 audits, 7.50-7.51 Aughrim Street parish, 29.1, 29.38 Augustus*, Fr, 56.1-56.9 auxiliary bishops (Dublin Archdiocese), 1.31, 1.56, 1.67, 3.17, 3.18, 3.19, 11.13 awareness of clerical sex abuse, 1.22, 3.23 handling of complaints, 1.47-1.54. see also individual bishops role and responsibilities, 1.56-1.59 Ayrfield parish, 16.27, 28.17, 28.25, 28.27-28.36, 28.39, 28.43, 28.64, 28.68, 28.74, 28.75, 28.87, 28.100, 28.104, 28.105, 28.118, 28.127 Balcurris, Ballymun, 16.24 Baldoyle, 28.80 Ballyfermot parish, 41.8, 41.15, 41.24 Ballyfermot Vocational School, 28.4 Barr judgment, 6.31 Bayside parish, 26.14, 26.41 Belmont Park Hospital, Waterford, 28.84, 28.87, 28.90 Benedict XVI, Pope, 3.45 Benito*, Fr, 1.65, 48.1-48.32 Bergin, Liam, 1.14n bishops. see also auxiliary bishops; Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference; individual bishops accountability and autonomy, 3.15-3.16 coadjutor bishops, 3.17 metropolitan's supervisory role over, 3.13, 3.14 oath of fidelity, 1.23, 3.28 Blaise*, Fr, 47.1-47.8 Boland, Fr Dominic Savio, 1.69, 1.78, 17.21, 32.1-32.54 Commission's assessment, 32.49-32.54 Bonnybrook parish, 35.15 Boston Archdiocese (USA), 1.28, 1.108, 1.110, 3.7 Brannick, Dr Teresa, 11.4, 11.5 Brentwood diocese (England), 4.19 Briscoe, Msgr Peter, 10.9, 10.13, 10.17 Brittas Bay, Co. Wicklow, 12.21, 20.7 Browne, Msgr Michael, 28.67, 28.68, 28.69, 28.73, 28.76, 28.77 Byrne (Garda superintendent), 28.51, 28.54 Cabinteely parish, 26.15 Cabra parish, 24.2, 24.28 California (USA), 6.54, see also individual dioceses Camon, Sean (garda superintendent), 5.26, 5.28, 5.31, 5.33 Canadian Canon Law Society, 4.31 canon law, 1.15, 1.18, 3.10, 3.14, 3.34-3.35, 3.40, 3.44, 4.1-4.94, 33.37, 35.16, 39.35 civil law, and, 4.5 codification, 4.7-4.8 defamation, 24.29 formation of priests, 10.3-10.4, 10.16-10.17 incardination, rules on, 33.14, 33.15 penalties for failure to apply, 4.81 revision, 4.9-4.10, 4.13 role of, 4.1-4.3 rules regarding child sexual abuse, 1.17, 1.25-1.26, 4.30-4.64 application of penalties, 4.52-4.55 Crimen Solicitationis (1922/1962), 4.18-4.28 failure to implement, 1.25, 4.88, 4.90 imputability, concept of, 4.56-4.61, 4.93 initial inquiry, 4.38 penal provisions, 1.25, 1.26, 1.30, 4.11, 4.65-4.72, 4.90 see also canonical trials preliminary investigation, 4.39-4.50 prescription/limitation periods, 4.62-4.64 procedural requirements, 4.17-4.29 reform/pastoral care, 4.53-4.55, 4.90 removal of faculties, 4.51 Sacramentorum Sanctitatis Tutela (2001), 4.29 secrecy/confidentiality, obligation of, 1.27-1.33, 4.82-4.86 'semblance of truth,' requirement of, 4.29, 4.38 status of accused person, 4.45-4.50 selective use of, 4.3 status and influence of, 1.25, 4.1, 4.5, 4.11-4.15 translation, 4.31 uncertainty/lack of precision, 4.87-4.93 The Canon Law: Letter & Spirit (1995), 4.31 Canon Law Association of Great Britain and Ireland, 24.32 Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland, 4.31, 4.59 canonical precepts, 4.51, 12.35, 27.22, 27.28, 27.36, 34.26, 43.21, 48.22 canonical trials, 1.26, 4.65-4.72, 28.118-28.122 appeals to Rome from, conduct of, 4.69-4.72 confidentiality/secrecy, obligation of, 4.82-4.86 damages, 4.73 Cappaghmore (Clondalkin), 28.109, 28.115, 28.117, 28.123 Capuchin Order, 32.1. see also Boland, Fr Dominic Savio Cardinal Secrets (Prime Time, 2002), 2.18, 5.12, 12.37, 17.36, 29.52, 41.41 Carmelite monastery, Delgany, 1.66, 12.21, 12.30, 12.38, 12.49 Carney, Fr William (Bill),1.38,1.42, 1.44, 1.52, 1.64,1.77,1.89, 1.92, 4.29, 4.54,16.2, 16.25, 16.29, 28.1-28.149 Commission's assessment, 28.130-28.149 Carroll, Joseph (auxiliary bishop, 1968-1989), 11.13, 30.10, 33.4 handling of complaints, 28.76, 28.78, 28.80, 28.81 Carroll, Fr Patrick, 8.1, 8.2 Cassius*, Fr, 44.1- 44.10 Catholic Church. see Church authorities; Dublin Archdiocese; Rome/Vatican Catholic Youth Care programme, 3.4 celibacy, 10.18, 18.1, 18.2, 18.5, 39.6, 56.1, 56.4 chancellery (Dublin Archdiocese), 4.21 chancellors, 1.60-1.62, 11.13. see also individual chancellors role and functions, 3.34-3.37 secret archive, 3.35 Channel Four, 38.3 Child Abuse Guidelines (1987), 6.71 Child Care Act 1991, 1.99, 6.19, 6.21-6.32 health boards, duties of, 6.21-6.24, 6.27 child protection advisory panel (Dublin Archdiocese), 3.53, 3.54, 7.21-7.31 Commission's view on, 7.40-7.43 complainants, involvement with, 7.31, 7.41 composition, 7.22 guidelines, 7.26-7.39 implementation of recommendations of, 7.29-7.30 investigations and reports, 12.32-12.35, 13.47, 21.29, 26.26, 27.17-27.19, 31.14, 33.24, 34.26-34.27, 35.23, 43.20, 45.2, 46.8, 48.20-48.21, 48.25, 50.12, 55.6, 55.9 procedure, 7.24-7.25 pseudonyms, use of, 7.27 role and remit, 7.21, 7.23 child protection legislation, 1.99, 1.100, 6.4, 6.7-6.32, 6.8 Child Care Act 1991, 6.21-6.31 Children Act 1989, 6.17 'fit person' procedure. see Children Act 1908 government task force, 6.10-6.13 Health Acts, 6.9, 6.26 Child Protection Notification System (CPNS), 6.74 child protection responsibilities health authorities, 6.21-6.31 State, 1.99-1.100, 6.8, 6.10 Child Protection Service (Dublin Archdiocese), 1.16, 3.37, 11.13 establishment, 3.51 funding of, 8.11 individual cases, and, 14.3, 18.6, 28.128, 29.10, 34.31, 36.12, 43.18-43.21, 45.4-45.6,45.10,45.12,45.14, 45.15,45.21, 45.22, 48.26,48.28, 48.31,52.19, 54.6, 55.13 personnel, functions of, 3.55, 3.56, 3.57, 3.58 role and functions, 3.52-3.60 support services for victims, 8.11-8.12 child protection services (health authorities), 6.5. see also social work service awareness of child sex abuse, 6.52-6.54 child sex abuse assessment units, 6.54, 6.56 community care programme, 6.42-6.51 development of, 6.37-6.54 handling of abuse complaints, 6.55-6.57 health boards, 6.42-6.50 HSE, 6.51 staff shortages, 6.56-6.57 child protection trainers, 7.52 child sexual abuse, 2.9 definition, 2.9 guidelines. see guidelines on child sexual abuse training of priests, as factor in, 10.19-10.31 treatment of offenders. see treatment for clerical offenders Child Sexual Abuse: Framework for a Church Response. see Framework Document (1996) Children Act 1908, 6.8, 6.11, 6.19 'fit person' procedure, 6.9, 6.12, 6.17, 6.39 Children First guidelines (1999), 2.9, 5.22, 6.73-6.74 Children's Acts, 28.10 children's homes. see residential institutions Children's University Hospital, Temple St, 2.10, 6.54, 6.56 Church & General Insurance Company, 9.1, 9.4, 20.100. see also insurance Church authorities. see also canon law; Dublin Archdiocese; Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference; religious orders; Rome/Vatican awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.18-1-23 canon law rules, and. see also canon law failure to implement, 1.25, 4.88, 4.90 ignorance of, 4.87 Commission, contact with, 2.10 communications between, 1.63-1.69 cover-up by, 1.35, 1.113 initiatives by, 7.44-7.57. see also child protection advisory panel; Child Protection Service; Framework Document (1996) offending priests, dealing with, 1.81-1.86 'pastoral approach,' 4.90 penal process. see canonical trials reputations, concern for, 1.15, 1.30 State authorities, communications with, 1.101 State enforcement of child protection, and, 1.100 Church courts, 4.11. see also canonical trials Church law. see canon law Church of Ireland, 10.36 Churchill, Fr Paul, 7.17, 7.22 Cicero*, Fr, 1.54, 30.1-30.29 Commission's assessment, 30.24-30.29 Cistercian Order, 35.20, 35.22 civil legal actions, 12.29, 12.36, 13.68, 17.15, 36.11, 44.9, 47.4, 47.5, 52.21, 58.28-58.29 Cleary, Fr (Vincentian), 22.9, 22.10 Clemens*, Fr, 31.1-31.16 Commission's assessment, 31.16 clerical child sex offenders, 1.13, 1.34 advisory panel guidelines. see child protection advisory panel (Dublin Archdiocese) canon law rules for dealing with. see canon law complaints against. see complaints contacts between, 1.76-1.80, 21.22 criminal convictions. see criminal convictions criminal investigations. see Garda investigations current situation, 8.31, 11.7 diocesan priests, 1.13 false accusations. see false accusations financial provision for, 8.17-8.31 guilty pleas, 1.11, 11.10 imputability, concept of, 4.56-4.61 laicisations. see laicisation legal fees, 8.30 monitoring. see monitoring of clerical offenders number, 1.8 options for, 4.45-4.80, 7.33 privileged access to children, 4.2 re-admission to ministry. see return to ministry religious orders, members of, 1.13, 1.84. see also religious orders representative sample. see representative sample; individual names [in bold] reputation of, concerns for, 1.30 transfers of, 1.66 treatment. see treatment for clerical offenders Clerical Fund Society, 8.14, 8.18-8.22, 8.31, 21.29, 24.73, 29.46, 35.35, 42.18, 43.24 Clogher Road parish, 20.43-20.55, 20.63, 28.24, 28.87, 28.91-28.94, 28.99, 28.101, 28.106, 28.109, 28.115 Clonliffe College, 5.32, 10.1, 10.32, 20.18, 20.86, 24.28, 28.3, 28.81, 32.4, 34.5, 34.6, 35.2, 35.19 administration, 10.1 admission requirements, 10.3-10.7 children's homes, students' visits to, 28.8, 28.13, 41.9-41.11 formation of priests. see education/formation of priests Clonskeagh parish, 28.67, 28.73, 28.76 Clontarf, 20.82 Cloyne diocese, 2.3 coadjutor bishops, 3.17 Code of Canon Law (1983), 4.6 College of Consultors, 3.30 Collins, Marie, 13.1, 13.76, 13.77, 13.79 evidence to Commission, 13.19-13.22, 58.19-58.21, 58.30 meeting with Archbishop Connell, 13.48-13.49, 58.20 reporting of abuse, 13.12-13.13, 13.23-13.25, 13.38-13.42 Columban Fathers, 1.22, 4.78-4.80, 16.1. see also Maguire, Fr Patrick Policy on Sexual Abuse of Minors, 16.40 Comiskey, Brendan (auxiliary bishop, 1980-1984), 1.22, 1.48, 3.21, 11.13, 26.10 Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse. see Ryan Commission; Ryan Report Commissions of Investigation Act 2004, 2.3, 2.10, 2.14, 2.17, 2.25, 2.42 Committee on Child Abuse (Irish Bishops' Conference), 7.45-7.48 Committee on Industrial and Reformatory Schools. see Kennedy Report (1970) Common Fund, 8.13-8.14, 8.16 community care programme (health authorities), 6.42-6.57 DCC (director of community care), 6.42, 6.46, 6.55 compensation to victims, 1.106, 4.3, 17.20, 41.2, 41.20. see also settlements with victims Dublin Archdiocese, payments from, 8.3-8.4 insurance cover. see insurance Payne case, 24.75-24.78 Stewardship Trust, 8.5-8.10 complainants, 1.102-1.106, 2.11, 2.12, 6.3, 58.1-58.30 archdiocesan support services for, 8.11-8.12 betrayal, sense of, 58.14-58.21 child protection advisory panel, and, 7.31, 7.41 Church authorities, treatment by, 1.35, 7.18-7.20, 58.14-58.21 post-1995, 58.23-58.30 civil proceedings. see civil legal actions Commission, contacts with, 2.11-2.12 compensation for. see compensation concerns of, 4.2 counselling for. see counselling delay in making complaint. see delay false accusations by. see false accusations families, effect on, 58.10-58.13 fear of not being believed, 58.8-58.9 gender ratio, 1.10, 11.12 relationship difficulties, 58.2 religious belief, effect on, 58.3 reporting of complaints, 58.22 settlements. see settlements with victims stated effects of abuse, 58.5-58.7 support structures, 1.111 transference of guilt, 58.4 victim charter, 5.7 complaints, 11.9-11.12 anonymous, 1.29, 4.35 archdiocesan personnel dealing with, 11.13 Church authorities, treatment by, 1.29 false accusations. see false accusations late complaints, 11.5 number of, 1.8-1.12, 1.109, 11.1, 11.9 representative sample. see representative sample time periods, 1.19 Conference of Religious of Ireland (CORI), 3.39, 8.12 confidentiality/secrecy, 1.15 canon law, requirement in, 1.27-1.33, 4.25-4.27, 4.82-4.86. see also secret archive Commission memorandum on, 2.14 shredding of documents, 15.17-15.18 Congregation for Catholic Education for Seminaries and Educational Institutions, 10.34 Congregation for the Clergy (Rome), 3.45, 7.13 Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (Rome), 1.18, 3.45, 4.69, 20.145, 20.148, 27.36 Commission's contacts with, 2.23, 2.24 referral of sex abuse allegations to, 4.29 Connell, Desmond (Archbishop of Dublin, 1988-2004),1.23, 1.26, 1.36, 1.42-1.46, 1.50, 1.66, 3.17, 3.24, 3.45, 4.65, 4.88, 5.15-5.16, 7.3, 7.15, 7.21, 9.24, 17.11, 17.36, 20.99 advisory panel recommendations, implementation of, 7.29-7.30 canonical advisers, 4.21 Garda investigations, and, 5.28, 5.33 handling of complaints, 3.22, 12.22, 12.25, 12.49, 13.15-13.18, 13.22, 13.24, 13.35, 13.72-13.75, 17.44, 21.9, 21.18, 22.23, 23.9, 25.11, 25.12, 26.18-26.23, 29.41-29.42, 30.15, 30.18, 30.23, 33.14, 33.16, 33.19, 33.21, 33.24, 33.26, 33.34, 34.4, 34.8, 34.25, 35.16, 35.20, 35.27, 35.28, 35.34-35.35, 36.12, 37.26, 38.13, 41.25, 41.35, 42.9, 42.15, 42.17, 43.5, 43.12, 46.4, 46.6, 48.5, 48.19, 48.27, 48.30, 49.3, 50.12, 55.5, 58.20 Carney case, 28.99, 28.101-28.106, 28.109, 28.114, 28.127 Payne case, 24.3, 24.29, 24.33, 24.37, 24.40, 24.47, 24.53, 24.59, 24.62-24.64, 24.63, 24.69-24.70, 24.75-24.78, 24.80-24.81, 58.20 Septimus case, 27.1, 27.9, 27.19, 27.22, 27.28, 27.35-27.36, 27.39 legal privilege issue, and, 2.28, 2.29, 2.33-2.35 medical experts, views on, 24.22 meetings with victims, 13.48-13.49, 29.41 reporting of complaints to Gardaí, 1.96, 13.24 statements on child abuse, 13.55 Connolly, Msgr, 10.38 Constitution of Ireland, 5.50, 5.55, 5.61 Cooney, Dr John, 20.151, 20.152, 20.155, 28.60, 28.64, 28.65, 28.72, 28.75, 28.81, 28.84 Cornelius*, Fr, 54.1-54.7 Costigan, Garda Commissioner, 1.92, 13.5 Council of Priests, 3.29 counselling, 7.20, 7.42 cover-up by Church authorities, 1.35, 1.113 CPS. see Child Protection Service (Dublin Archdiocese) Crimen Solicitationis (1922 and 1962), 2.23, 4.6, 4.18-4.28 Dublin Archdiocese, use in, 4.21-4.24 procedural requirements, 4.25-4.28 secrecy requirement, 4.25-4.27 criminal convictions, 11.10, 13.53-13.54, 16.56-16.69, 24.69, 26.33, 29.39, 32.38, 38.11, 41.38 Criminal Law Act 1976, 55.12 Criminal Law Act 1997, 5.38 Criminal Law (Amendment) act 1885, 39.18 criminal proceedings. see Director of Public Prosecutions; Garda investigations Crosscare programme, 3.4 Crumlin children's hospital. see Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin Crumlin garda station, 12.27 Crumlin parish, 12.4, 12.10-12.36, 12.46 culture of secrecy. see confidentiality/secrecy Cunnane, Joseph (archbishop of Tuam), 35.13, 35.14 Curial Trust, 8.3, 8.12, 8.22-8.25, 8.26, 8.31, 24.73, 24.78 Curley, Fr Con, 20.64, 20.65, 20.66, 20.92, 20.95-20.96, 20.102 Curtin, Msgr Jerome, 11.13, 12.16, 26.25, 26.27, 28.68 Cyproterone Acetate, 20.72 Dante*, Fr, 43.1-43.27 Commission's assessment, 43.25-43.27 Daryus*, Fr, 36.1-36.13 Commission's assessment, 36.13 Daughters of the Heart of Mary. see St Joseph's orphanage, Tivoli Road deaneries, 3.25 Decalogue (Ten Commandments), 4.32 defamation, 24.58, 27.29 civil and church law, differences between, 24.29 delay, 12.28, 17.22, 27.44, 32.8, 32.54, 36.10, 39.14, 53.13 complainant delay, 5.46, 5.52-5.60 fair procedures, and, 5.50-5.62 prosecutorial delay, 5.61-5.62 test to be applied, 5.59 Delgany, Co. Wicklow. see Carmelite monastery, Delgany Department of Education and Science, 2.10, 41.37, 41.43 Department of Health and Children, 2.9, 2.10, 6.55 child abuse guidelines, 5.21-5.22, 6.68-6.76, 29.34. see also Children First guidelines (1999) Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform, 5.7 Depo-Provera, 20.67-20.72 diocesan curia, 3.35 Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), 2.10, 2.17, 5.1, 5.44-5.65, 21.8, 48.18, 53.12 Carney case, 28.32, 28.51, 28.53, 28.127 change of mind by, 5.65, 35.49 decisions not to prosecute, 5.45-5.46, 12.28, 17.22, 22.21, 27.16, 27.42, 27.44, 28.127, 29.38, 31.14, 32.8, 32.54, 36.10, 39.14, 42.6, 45.18, 46.3, 48.24, 53.13, 55.11 delay and fair procedures, 5.46, 5.50-5.62. see also delay independence, 5.48 prejudice, assessment of, 5.63-5.64 prosecution of clerical offenders, 5.49, 20.108-20.111, 24.66, 27.42-27.45, 28.53, 32.35 prosecutorial delay, 5.61-5.62 submission of garda file to, 5.5-5.6, 20.108 Discalced Carmelites, 11.15 discovery of documents, 2.17-2.36 HSE, Commission's dealings with, 6.60-6.66 legal challenge, 2.33-2.35 legal privilege, 2.25-2.32 religious orders, 2.36 Rome, documents held by, 2.23-2.24 dismissal from clerical state, 1.26, 4.56, 28.120 documents. see also archdiocesan documents; discovery of documents; HSE Vatican, held by, 2.23-2.24 Dolan, Msgr John (chancellor, 1997-), 4.2, 4.11, 4.12, 4.23, 4.29, 4.41, 4.84, 4.85, 7.2, 7.43, 11.13, 17.34, 25.12, 47.2 Framework Document (1996), and, 7.12-7.14, 7.17-7.19 handling of complaints, 16.52, 20.168, 21.15, 21.20-21.21, 23.11, 24.67, 24.72, 26.17, 26.41, 27.31, 27.33, 30.18, 30.20, 31.13, 32.32, 35.29, 36.8, 36.13, 37.35, 41.34, 41.39, 43.4, 43.6-43.8, 44.5, 48.17, 48.19, 55.4, 55.5, 55.7-55.9 Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Investigation Unit (DVSAIU), 5.6, 5.10-5.12 Donaghmede parish, 28.87 Donato*, Fr, 25.1-25.17 Commission's assessment, 25.14-25.17 Donnycarney parish, 1.66, 29.9, 29.12, 29.13-29.25, 29.36, 29.54, 29.55 Doran, Fr Kevin, 10.10 Doyle, Fr Thomas, 4.48 DPP. see Director of Public Prosecutions Drennan, Martin (auxiliary bishop, 1997-2005), 11.13, 51.1-51.2 Drimnagh, 23.2, 23.4, 24.1 Drogheda, Co. Louth. see St Vincent's industrial school drug therapy, 20.67-20.72, 20.151 Dublin Archdiocese, 1.14-1.16, 1.90, 2.17, 3.1-3.49, 3.24 activities of, 3.4 Ad Limina reports, 3.47, 3.48 archbishops. see archbishops of Dublin; individual archbishops auxiliary bishops. see auxiliary bishops; individual bishops chancellery. see chancellery Commission's dealings with, 1.87-1.89, 2.10 communications, 1.64-1.69 consultative bodies, 3.29-3.30 documents and files, access to. see archdiocesan documents finances of. see finances of Dublin Archdiocese handling of complaints, 1.29, 1.30-1.31, 1.35, 1.81-1.86, 3.18-3.24. see also child protection advisory panel; Child Protection Service awareness of abuse, 1.14, 1.17-1.24 canon law rules, and, 4.1-4.94 comparisons with other dioceses, 1.107-1.112 cover-up, 1.113 Framework Document (1996), and, 7.15-7.20 Garda, contacts with, 5.13-5.18 legal status, 3.5-3.8 offending priests, dealing with, 1.81-1.86, 4.47-4.72, 4.90. see also canonical trials; individuals in representative sample [names in bold] personnel involved, 11.13. see also individual officeholders priorities in, 1.15, 1.30, 1.113 reporting to civil authorities. see reporting of complaints secrecy, culture of, 1.27-1.33, 4.82-4.86 treatment of complainants. see complainants management of, 1.55-1.62, 3.9-3.16 parishes, 3.3 population, 3.2, 3.3 priests, 3.3, 3.26-3.33. see also priests religious orders, communications with, 1.69 structures and procedures, 1.16 Vatican/Rome, relationship with, 3.44-3.49 vicars forane (deans), 3.25 Dublin Archdiocese Commission of Investigation. see Dublin Commission Dublin bombings (1974), 20.129 Dublin Circuit Court, 29.39 Dublin Commission, 1.7, 1.8 appointment, 2.1 church authorities, dealings with, 1.87-1.89, 2.10 complainants, contacts with, 2.11-2.12 costs of, 2.42 definition of child sexual abuse, 2.9 discovery process. see discovery of documents establishment, 1.1, 2.5-2.7 function of, 1.4 hearings, 2.14-2.16 investigation of representative sample. see representative sample Memorandum on Confidentiality, 2.14 practice and procedure, 2.13 preliminary inquiries, 2.10 report, 2.40 research, 2.38-2.39 terms of reference, 2.2-2.3, 2.8 time period under investigation, 2.2 Dublin Corporation, 6.33 Dublin County Council, 6.33 Dublin Diocesan Clerical Fund Society. see Clerical Fund Society Dublin Diocesan Directory, 20.172 Dublin Diocesan Guidebook, 13.35 Dublin Diocesan Pilgrimage to Lourdes, 49.1, 51.1, 51.5, 51.6 Dublin Health Authority, 6.33, 6.40-6.41, 28.11 Dublin Metropolitan Region (DMR), 5.3 Dublin Metropolitan Tribunal, 16.61, 16.64, 16.73 Dublin Regional Marriage Tribunal, 3.37, 24.2, 24.4, 24.29, 24.40, 24.47, 24.54, 30.1, 30.2, 30.9, 30.18, 30.19, 30.20 Duffy, Fr Aquinas, 21.21, 52.14, 52.15 Dunlavin parish, 28.13, 41.1, 41.8, 41.12-41.17, 41.34, 41.37 Dunne, Patrick (auxiliary bishop, 1946-1984), 11.13 investigation of complaints, 12.6, 13.6, 13.8, 13.11, 13.69, 13.70 Eadestown parish, 20.6 East Wall parish, 35.10-35.11, 35.19, 35.48 Eastern Health Board (EHB), 6.33, 6.36, 6.56, 13.36, 28.5, 28.6, 28.11, 40.18-40.19, 40.36, 41.34 child protection services, 6.42-6.48 childcare manager, role of, 6.47-6.48 community care programme, 6.42-6.48 social worker service, 6.42, 6.43, 6.47, 6.48 Eastern Regional Health Authority (ERHA), 6.34, 6.36, 6.49, 6.50 Edenmore parish, 13.14, 13.35, 13.43-13.44, 13.51, 13.74, 26.8 Edmondus*, Fr, 1.37, 1.89, 1.92, 3.18, 4.21, 13.1-13.83 Commission's assessment, 13.69-13.83 Education Fund (Dublin Archdiocese), 8.22 education/formation of priests, 10.1-10.38 celibacy, training in, 10.18 child sexual abuse, education on issues of, 10.19-10.31 Clonliffe College, 10.1-10.31 current position, 10.32-10.35 eligibility and admission, 10.3-10.7 evaluation during formation, 10.11 Framework Document recommendations, 10.21-10.28 Garda vetting, 10.10 homosexual ideation, and, 10.32, 10.34, 10.37-10.38 Maynooth College, 10.32, 10.33, 10.36-10.38 Our Children Our Church, recommendations of, 10.31 pastoral placement, 10.12-10.14, 10.22 programme of training, 10.2 psychological assessment, 10.8-10.9, 10.19, 10.21, 10.34 screening of candidates, 10.21, 10.34-10.35 sexual activity, 10.32 sexual history, consideration of, 10.32 sexuality, and, 10.18, 10.32 spiritual director, 10.15-10.17 EHB. see Eastern Health Board Elliot, Ian, 7.55 Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow, 38.1, 38.6, 41.8 Episcopal Conference. see Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference episcopal vicars, 3.11, 8.1, 11.13 Eureka (California), 20.78-20.79, 20.127 Ezio*, Fr, 57.1-57.5 fair procedures, delay and. see delay false accusations, 1.12, 11.11, 55.1. see also Ricardus*, Fr criminal proceedings against complainant, 55.12 False Recovered Memory Syndrome, 53.5 Faoiseamh Helpline, 7.20, 7.42, 8.12, 43.9, 52.15, 55.7 Ferns diocese, 1.79, 3.13, 4.50, 24.47 Ferns inquiry, 3.15, 4.50 Ferns Report, 1.95, 1.107, 2.2, 5.8, 6.25, 6.27, 6.31, 10.32 Field, Raymond (auxiliary bishop, 1997-), 1.23, 1.65, 3.24, 11.13, 21.21, 21.28, 42.10, 42.16, 42.19 investigation of complaints, 48.5-48.6, 48.11, 48.15-48.21, 48.29 finances of Dublin Archdiocese, 8.1-8.31 assets, management of, 3.6 clerical child sex abusers, support for, 8.17-8.31 compensation to victims, 8.3-8.10 support services for victims, 8.11-8.12 supports for priests, 8.13-8.31, 24.55. see also Clerical Fund Society 'fit person' procedure. see Children Act 1908 Forristal, Laurence (auxiliary bishop, 1980-1981), 1.22, 1.54, 1.59, 7.2, 11.13, 12.10, 12.43, 13.21 handling of complaints, 1.54, 21.2, 21.4, 23.1, 23.5-23.9, 30.2, 30.10, 30.12, 30.13-30.15, 30.18-30.23, 30.27, 30.29 Fortune, Fr Sean, 1.79, 21.22 fostering of children, 28.5, 28.6 Framework Document (1996), 1.16, 1.89, 1.101, 1.111, 2.2, 3.39, 5.13, 7.1-7.57, 10.20, 13.48, 23.7, 28.126, 30.13, 31.14, 32.44, 40.12, 41.43 education/formation of priests, 10.21-10.28 guidelines, 7.6, 58.24-58.26 implementation by Archdiocese, 7.15-7.20, 13.20, 13.77, 31.15, 37.24, 43.25, 58.26-58.27 reporting policy, 1.33, 5.14, 5.15, 7.7-7.8 review and replacement, 7.53 Rome's response to, 7.13-7.14 status of, 3.41, 7.11-7.14, 13.49 structures and procedures for dealing with allegations, 7.9-7.10 support person, 58.24 training days, 7.12 France, 43.2, 43.3, 43.9 Francis Street parish, 26.14 Gallagher, Fr Donal, 1.69, 22.1-22.31 Commission's assessment, 22.27-22.31 Garda Commissioners, 1.92, 1.93, 5.2, 5.5, 13.5 Garda investigations, 1.52, 1.79, 1.92-1.96, 1.95, 2.17, 5.1-5.43 analytical overview, 5.26 Archdiocese, contact with, 1.92, 5.13-5.18 documents, access to, 5.27-5.33 discovery process, 2.20 legal privilege, 5.30-5.31 material considered, 5.32-5.34 Dublin Metropolitan Region (DMR), 5.3 DVSAIU, 5.10-5.12 health authorities, referrals by, 5.21-5.23 individual cases. see individual names in representative sample [in bold] misprision of felony investigation, 5.35-5.39, 29.52 NBCI. see National Bureau of Criminal Investigation outcome of, 5.40-5.43 post-2002, 5.25-5.43 pre-2002, 5.24, 5.42 procedure, 5.4-5.7 PULSE recording, 5.8 recording of complaints, 5.43 reporting of complaints. see reporting of complaints sex abuse unit (Harcourt Square), 1.95, 35.41 submission of file to DPP, 5.5-5.6 vetting of candidates for priesthood, 10.10 Woman and Child Unit, 5.9 Garland, Finbar (garda), 28.29, 28.30, 28.32, 28.53, 28.59 Garland, Philip, 3.55, 11.13, 14.3, 14.6, 43.19, 45.4, 48.28, 48.29, 55.13 Gay Byrne Show (RTE), 24.41 General Charities Fund, 8.22 Giraldus*, Fr, 45.1-45.22 Commission's assessment, 45.20-45.22 Glasthule parish, 26.1, 26.3, 26.9, 26.13 Gleeson, Fr Paddy, 7.17, 35.35, 35.40, 35.41, 42.14, 43.9, 43.12, 43.13 Glendalough, Co. Wicklow, 35.1, 35.15, 35.21, 35.56, 35.60 Glennon, Msgr Richard (chancellor, 1945-1955), 1.89, 11.13 investigation of complaints, 17.5-17.6, 20.38, 21.2, 21.4, 32.5 Granada Institute, Dublin, 1.70, 1.73, 11.16 treatment and assessments, 12.22, 13.59, 13.62, 17.34, 17.35, 21.9-21.16, 21.29, 24.40, 24.67, 27.8, 27.13, 27.17, 27.27, 27.31, 29.45, 29.49, 30.15-30.17, 30.18, 31.9, 31.14, 32.9, 32.11, 32.14, 32.31, 32.33, 32.36, 32.40, 33.19, 33.29-33.32, 34.17, 35.3, 35.23, 35.26, 37.44-37.47, 39.22-39.30, 39.39, 39.40, 40.20, 40.24, 40.30, 41.3, 42.16-42.18, 43.7, 43.16-43.17, 45.9, 45.11, 45.13, 46.8-46.9, 48.24, 48.25, 51.2 Grand Rapids, Michigan (USA), 20.135 The Grange orphanage, Kill O' The Grange, 28.8, 28.18-28.24, 28.25, 28.108 Green Book. see Framework Document (1996) An Grianán, 28.22, 28.25-28.26 grooming, 4.2, 16.3, 16.12, 40.20 Guidelines for the Identification and Management of Non-Accidental Injury to Children (1980), 6.70 guidelines on child sexual abuse, 42.20 church authorities, 7.6, 7.26-7.43, 7.53-7.55. see also canon law; Framework Document health authorities, 5.21-5.22, 6.4, 6.68-6.76, 29.34. see also Children First guidelines reporting to civil authorities. see reporting of complaints Guido*, Fr, 1.12, 11.11, 51.1-51.14 Commission's assessment, 51.14 Halston Street, 12.4 Harold's Cross parish, 52.3, 52.4, 52.7, 52.15, 52.19, 52.20, 52.21 Harrington Street parish, 12.4 Health Acts, 6.26, 6.33, 6.42 health authorities, 1.97-1.98, 6.1-6.76. see also health boards; HSE child protection role, 6.7, 6.9, 6.27-6.32, 6.37-6.51. see also child protection services (health authorities) statutory duties (1991 Act), 6.21-6.32 community care programme, 6.42-6.57 'fit person' procedure, 6.9, 6.17, 6.18 general powers and duties, 1.97, 1.99 guidelines on child sex abuse, 5.21-5.22, 6.68-6.76, 29.34 handling of child abuse complaints, 1.98, 6.1-6.6, 6.27-6.32, 6.55-6.57 individual cases. see under names of individuals [in bold] legislation relating to, 6.10-6.26 reporting of complaints to, 5.22-5.23 structural changes, 6.5, 6.33-6.36 health boards, 1.97, 1.98, 6.9. see also health authorities; individual health boards child protection role, 6.9, 6.21-6.31, 6.42-6.50. see also child protection services establishment, 6.33, 6.42 handling of complaints, 29.28 records, keeping of, 6.29 residential institutions, role in relation to, 6.19-6.20 structural changes, 6.33-6.36 Health Services Research Centre (RCSI), 7.46-7.47 hearings of Commission, 2.14-2.16 High Street parish, 52.3, 52.9, 52.11, 52.17, 52.19, 52.21 Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC), 10.2 Holy Cross College, Dublin. see Clonliffe College Holy Ghost Fathers, 35.2 Holy See. see Rome/Vatican homosexuality, 21.2, 21.3, 21.10, 28.119, 33.35, 49.1, 51.2 apostolate to gay community, 21.2, 21.3, 21.31 candidates for priesthood, and, 10.32, 10.34, 10.37-10.38 Horatio*, Fr, 1.64, 1.79, 21.1-21.33 Commission's assessment, 21.31-21.33 hospital chaplains, 24.1 Hospitaller Order of St John of God. see St John of God Order Houlihan, Brendan, 10.11 Howth District Court, 28.56 Howth parish, 41.8, 41.34 HSE (Health Service Executive), 2.10, 2.17, 11.5, 18.6, 43.13, 45.5, 45.7, 45.13-45.17 audit, 7.51 clerical child sex abuse, and, 1.97, 1.98, 5.21, 6.27 Commission's dealings with, 2.19, 6.6, 6.59-6.67, 45.22 documentation held by, 6.6 discovery process, 2.19, 6.60-6.66 filing system, 2.19, 6.60 need for collation and maintenance of, 6.29-6.30 provision to Commission, 45.22 duty to communicate information, 6.31-6.32 establishment (2005), 6.5, 6.35 inter agency review committee, 5.19 local health offices (LHOs), 6.51 powers and functions, 6.26, 6.35 Hugo*, Fr, 1.54, 23.1-23.15 Commission's assessment, 23.13-23.15 Hurley, Mark (bishop of Santa Rosa), 20.74, 20.75, 20.78-20.81, 20.84, 20.124 Hussey, Judge Gillian, 7.50 Ignatio*, Fr, 53.1-53.16 imputability, concept of, 4.56-4.61, 4.93 industrial and reformatory schools. see residential institutions institutional care. see residential institutions institutional immunity, 1.113 insurance, 1.20, 1.21, 3.38, 8.3, 9.1-9.39, 20.100 agreements with Church & General first 'special policy,' 9.6-9.12, 9.36 lump sum agreement, 9.22-9.23 reassessment, 9.17-9.21 re-opening of negotiations, 9.24-9.32 second agreement, 9.30-9.32 Commission's assessment, 9.35-9.39 compensation claims, receipt of, 9.24 cover for liability arising from 1996, 9.33-9.34 information known to the Archdiocese, 9.11 insurers, 9.1 need for insurance cover, 9.2-9.5 parish protection policies, 9.13-9.16 policy limits, 9.12 exclusion of liability, 9.9, 9.14, 9.17 premiums, 9.12 requirements on Archbishop, 9.7 Interpol, 45.10 investigation of complaints Church, by. see canon law; Church authorities; Dublin Archdiocese individual cases in representative sample. see individual names [in bold] State, by. see Garda investigations Ioannes*, Fr, 1.38, 1.78, 1.89, 17.1-17.46, 32.5, 32.6 Commission's assessment, 17.42-17.46 Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference, 3.38-3.43, 7.2 Advisory Committee on Child Sexual Abuse, 3.38, 3.39, 5.13, 7.2-7.5 child protection office, 7.49, 10.10 Committee on child abuse, 7.45 independent audit, 7.50-7.51 initiatives by, 7.44-7.57. see also Framework Document (1996) national training initiative, 7.52 powers of, 3.40 research into child abuse, 7.46-7.48 Irish Catholic Property Insurance Company Ltd, 9.1 Irish College (Rome), 10.1, 10.32, 10.33 Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (ISPCC), 6.39 Jacobus*, Fr, 50.1-50.14 Commission's assessment, 50.14 Japan, 16.1, 16.2, 16.7-16.11 Jemez Springs (New Mexico), 20.55-20.62, 20.67-20.72, 20.129, 20.140, 39.6, 39.11, 39.20, 39.22, 39.36 John Paul II, Pope, 3.47 John XXIII, Pope, 4.9 judicial vicars, 24.27, 24.37 Kavanagh, James (auxiliary bishop, 1972-1998), 1.23, 1.47, 1.52, 1.89, 3.24, 21.2, 33.4 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.22 Gardai, contacts with, 28.48-28.49, 28.52 handling of complaints, 1.52, 16.25, 20.14-20.17, 20.33, 29.31 Carney case, 28.6, 28.34, 28.39-28.41, 28.48-28.49, 28.52, 28.54, 28.56, 28.61, 28.63, 28.64, 28.70, 28.78, 28.81, 28.98, 28.106, 28.133, 28.141 Keenan, Dr Marie, 7.48, 10.37 Kelly, Fr Donal, 4.31 Kelly, Fr James, 20.44, 20.52, 28.87 Kennedy, David, 7.22, 7.23, 7.27, 7.41 Kennedy Report (1970), 6.8 Kerry (county), 41.16, 41.19 Kiernan, Sergeant (garda), 28.29, 28.30, 28.31, 28.52, 28.57, 28.59, 28.66 Kildare and Leighlin, diocese of, 3.13 Kill O' The Grange. see The Grange orphanage Kilmore parish, 35.5-35.9, 35.41, 35.48 Kilquade parish, 26.4 Kiltegan Fathers. see St Patrick's Missionary Society, Kiltegan Kinsella, Fr John, 38.1-38.17 Commission's assessment, 38.16-38.17 Klaudius*, Fr, 40.1-40.31 Commission's assessment, 40.34-40.36 Laffoy Commission, 7.45 laicisation, 7.33, 7.39, 15.8-15.10, 16.61, 18.5, 24.72, 28.120, 40.31, 41.42, 51.13 Lakelands children's home, Sandymount, 28.8 Lane O'Kelly, Dr, 28.84, 28.85, 28.87, 28.88 Laurentius*, Fr, 39.1-39.42 Commission's assessment, 39.34-39.42 law. see canon law; child protection legislation Law Reform Commission, 2.9 legal actions. see civil legal actions legal challenge to discovery process, 2.33-2.35 legal costs, 2.42, 8.4, 8.30 legal privilege, 2.25-2.35, 5.30-5.31 legislation. see child protection legislation limitation periods, in canon law, 4.62-4.64 Liveline (RTE), 5.27, 5.34, 12.37 Livingstone, Fr Benedict, 20.67, 20.140 local health offices (LHOs), 6.51 London, 41.8 Los Angeles diocese (USA), 20.84-20.85, 20.112 Lourdes pilgrimage. see Dublin Diocesan Pilgrimage to Lourdes McCarthy, Fr Francis, 24.58, 28.2, 28.13, 28.39, 28.68, 28.118, 28.126, 41.1-41.43 Commission's assessment, 41.43 McFeely, Anthony (bishop of Raphoe), 16.13, 16.72, 16.74 McGovern, Joe (Garda superintendent), 20.92-20.96 McGrady, Andrew, 1.14n McGrath, Fr Aidan (judicial vicar), 4.19, 4.31 McMahon, Msgr James Ardle, 1.89, 11.13, 15.5, 16.25 investigation of complaints, 24.18, 25.10, 28.37, 29.5 case, and, 20.20-20.25, 20.178 McNamara, Kevin (Archbishop of Dublin, 1985-1987), 1.25, 1.36, 1.41, 4.21, 4.88, 9.4, 20.77, 20.99, 20.136 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.21 handling of complaints, 3.22, 17.10, 20.79, 20.81-20.86, 20.125, 22.11, 24.27, 28.78, 28.79, 29.12, 29.14, 29.19, 29.21, 29.24, 29.54, 29.56 insurance cover, and, 9.4, 9.6 McNamee, Fr James, 1.38, 1.66, 12.1-12.51 Commission's assessment, 12.42-12.51 McQuaid, John Charles (Archbishop of Dublin, 1940-1972), 1.19, 1.36, 1.37, 1.56, 1.89, 1.92, 4.21, 26.3, 35.2, 57.1 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.21 handling of complaints, 3.18, 12.6-12.8, 12.43, 13.5-13.11, 13.69-13.71, 15.3, 34.6 Madden, Andrew, 7.4, 8.3, 9.24, 24.4, 24.11, 24.15, 24.28, 24.33, 24.35, 24.38, 24.41, 24.44, 24.67, 58.16, 58.20 compensation settlement. see under Payne, Fr Ivan Magnus*, Fr, 1.12, 11.11, 49.1-49.7 Commission's assessment, 49.6 Maguire, Fr Patrick, 1.22, 1.38, 1.69, 4.36, 16.1-16.75, 28.2, 28.43 Commission's assessment, 16.70-16.75 Mahony, Dr (archbishop of Los Angeles), 20.84, 20.85 Malahide, Co. Dublin, 28.77 Mangan, Fr Cyril, 7.17, 20.166, 52.7, 52.10, 52.15 Marist Fathers, 1.64, 28.67, 28.69, 28.73, 28.75, 28.77 Marius*, Fr, 34.1-34.34 Commission's assessment, 34.32-34.34 marriage tribunal. see Dublin Regional Marriage Tribunal Martin, Diarmuid (Archbishop of Dublin, 2004-), 1.13, 1.79, 3.17, 3.48-3.49, 8.21, 12.40, 27.39, 43.20, 48.28, 54.6 co-operation with Commission, 1.87 education/formation of priests, 10.33 handling of complaints, 21.22, 21.25, 21.27, 21.29, 28.128, 51.13 legal privilege issue, and, 2.26-2.29, 5.31 publication of settlements, 1.112 reporting of complaints, 21.27 Maynooth College. see St Patrick's College, Maynooth medical experts, 24.22. see also psychiatric/psychological assessment; individual practitioners Medjugorje, 26.28 Memorandum on Non-Accidental Injury to Children (1977), 6.69 mental reservation, 58.19-58.21 metropolitan bishop, office of, 3.12 Midland Health Board, 6.33 Milltown, 28.67 Milltown Institute of Theology and Philosophy, 10.2 Minister for Health, 6.10, 6.11 Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, 5.2, 7.50 misprision of felony investigation, 5.35-5.39, 29.52 monitoring of clerical offenders, 1.75, 1.82-1.85, 7.38, 7.40, 12.21, 13.57, 13.59, 16.67, 20.44-20.50, 20.45, 20.80, 20.83, 21.29, 24.61-24.62, 29.43-29.49, 34.17, 34.20, 34.44, 35.37, 37.3, 37.25-37.26, 48.28, 48.29 Moone abbey, 35.19, 35.20-35.22 Moore, Fr Harry, 1.65, 26.1-26.42 Commission's assessment, 26.36-26.42 Moriarty, James (auxiliary bishop, 1991-2002), 11.13, 13.14-13.15, 13.43-13.44 Morning Ireland (RTE), 24.76 Mourne Road parish, 24.1 Murphy (Garda Inspector), 28.30, 28.52, 28.57, 28.66 Murray, Donal (auxiliary bishop, 1985-1996), 1.47, 1.53, 1.58, 1.65, 1.89, 3.22, 11.13, 21.6, 26.34 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.22 handling of complaints, 1.53, 12.22-12.25, 12.49, 21.23-21.24, 26.19, 29.4-29.12, 29.15, 29.53, 29.54, 29.56, 31.5, 31.12, 33.6-33.13, 33.18, 33.44 National Board for Safeguarding Children, 7.55 National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI), 5.6, 5.10, 5.32, 47.3, 52.11 National Child Protection Office (Maynooth), 3.55, 10.10 National Council for Educational Awards, 10.2 National Marriage Appeal Tribunal, 24.29 National Rehabilitation Hospital, Dun Laoghaire, 1.51, 1.66, 35.26, 35.27, 35.35 Naughton Fr Thomas, 1.53, 1.66, 1.89, 6.2, 8.31, 29.1-29.63, 52.2, 58.17 Commission‟s assessment 29.53 – 29.63 New Mexico (USA), 11.15. see also Jemez Springs Noonan, Fr Mark, 22.14, 22.24 Norbertine Order, 7.3 Norman, Fr James, 13.19, 13.48, 13.55, 13.77, 58.21 Northern Area Health Board, 13.65 Ó Ceallaigh, Fiachra (auxiliary bishop, 1994-), 11.13, 27.14, 27.21, 42.8, 42.21 O'Connor, Maurice (garda chief superintendent), 28.39, 28.40, 28.48-28.49, 28.51, 28.54 O'Donnell, Fr Desmond, 10.36 O'Mahony, Dermot (auxiliary bishop, 1975-1996), 1.23, 1.42, 1.47, 1.48-1.51, 1.67, 3.24, 11.13, 18.3 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.22 confidential documents, shredding of, 15.17-15.18 handling of complaints, 1.49-1.51, 15.8, 15.10, 15.13, 15.14, 15.16-15.19, 15.21,17.7-17.9, 18.3-18.4, 18.7, 21.3, 21.5, 21.9, 23.9, 23.10, 24.21, 28.6, 28.104, 31.8, 35.26, 35.30-35.32, 35.57, 35.61, 36.6-36.8, 36.13 Payne case, 24.6-24.15, 24.18, 24.23, 24.25, 24.27, 24.28, 24.30, 24.33, 24.43, 24.44, 24.54, 24.62, 24.65, 24.68, 24.79, 24.80 Septimus case, 27.3-27.8, 27.10, 27.13, 27.37-27.38, 27.47-27.48 pastoral care of priests, responsibility for, 24.6, 24.8 Opus Dei, 3.32 oral evidence, 2.15 Orange diocese (USA), 20.112, 20.113-20.114 O'Regan, Msgr John, 11.13, 12.12-12.17, 12.43-12.45 orphanages, 28.11-28.26. see also residential institutions Ó Saorai, Fr (Ayrfield parish) Carney case, and, 28.30, 28.31, 28.33, 28.36, 28.38, 28.40-28.41, 28.44, 28.50, 28.140 Ossory, diocese of, 3.13, 30.1, 30.2, 30.9, 30.13, 30.18, 30.19, 30.27 Our Children Our Church (2005), 3.41, 5.18, 5.20, 7.52, 7.53, 10.29 education/formation of priests, 10.31 Our Duty to Care (2002), 6.75 Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin, 2.10, 13.2, 13.4-13.22, 13.5 child sex abuse assessment unit, 6.54, 6.56 complaints of abuse in, 24.1, 24.3, 24.44, 24.45, 24.47, 24.48, 24.50-24.51 paedophilia, 1.76, 17.15, 17.32, 20.67, 20.83, 28.119, 28.122, 39.22 imputability in canon law, and, 4.59-4.61, 4.93 Palmerstown parish, 20.6, 20.63 Papal Nuncio, 2.24, 3.50 parents of victims concerns of, 4.2 effects on, 58.10-58.13 Pastoral Services Fund, 8.12 Paul VI, Pope, 4.10 Payne, Fr Ivan, 1.41, 1.44, 1.50, 4.29, 4.36, 7.4, 8.3, 17.35, 24.1-24.83, 41.36 Commission's assessment, 24.79-24.83 penal provisions in church law. see canon law; canonical trials personal prelatures, 3.32 Phibsborough. see St Peter's parish Phineas*, Fr, 14.1-14.8 Poor of Dublin Fund, 8.26, 24.73 Pope, the, 3.44, 3.45 Portmarnock, 47.1 Portmarnock Community Centre, 28.74, 28.75 Portmarnock Leisure Centre, 28.87 Post Graduate Fund, 8.27-8.29 prescription, period of, 4.62-4.64 priests. see also College of Consultors; Council of Priests appointment of, 1.56 assignment to parishes, 1.47 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.24 children, sexual abuse of. see clerical child sex offenders duty of obedience, 3.28 formation. see education/formation of priests income, 8.13-8.15 parish priests and curates, 3.26-3.33 personal prelatures, 3.32 religious orders, from, 3.31-3.33 representative sample. see representative sample supports for, 8.13-8.31 termination payments, 8.16-8.17 Prime Time (RTÉ), 5.25, 5.27, 5.34, 13.63-13.66, 13.83. see also Cardinal Secrets Probation Act, 28.59 Probation and Welfare Service, 1.83, 16.66, 16.67 Pro-Cathedral, Dublin, 1.78, 20.3-20.25, 20.4-20.8, 20.15-20.17 procedural rules (Vatican), 4.17-4.29. see also Crimen Solicitationis; Sacramentorum Sanctitatis Tutela (2001) Propaganda College (Rome), 10.1 prosecution of offences. see Director of Public Prosecutions pseudonyms, 7.27 psychiatric/psychological assessment, 1.70-1.72, 11.14. see also treatment for clerical offenders candidates for priesthood, 10.8-10.9, 10.19, 10.21, 10.34 representative sample, priests in. see individual names [in bold] Public Assistance Act 1939, 6.39 PULSE, 5.8 Q (M) v Robert Gleeson and others, 6.31 Quinton*, Fr, 33.1-33.43 Commission's assessment, 33.41-33.45 Raheny, 28.77 Rape Crisis Centre, 28.78, 41.6 Raphoe, diocese of, 16.12-16.17, 16.26, 16.44 Ratzinger, Cardinal Joseph (later Pope Benedict XVI), 3.45, 27.36 Read, Msgr Gordon, 4.7, 4.19 recidivism, 1.44, 1.73 recording of cases, 1.89, 4.37 Garda, by, 5.43 Garda PULSE system, 5.8 health authorities, by, 1.98 reformatory schools. see residential institutions rehabilitation, 1.75, 1.81. see also treatment for clerical offenders Reidy, Dr Maurice, 20.18-20.20 religious orders, 2.10, 3.31-3.33, 29.1, 32.1, 33.1, 37.1, 39.1, 40.1, 44.2, 45.1, 46.1, 50.1, 53.1, 57.1. see also St Joseph's orphanage; individual orders Archdiocese, communications with, 1.69 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.22 co-operation with Commission, 1.87-1.89 discovery of documents, 2.36 monitoring of clerical offenders, 1.84 orphanages, 28.11-28.26 removal of faculties. see canonical precepts Report of the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse. see Ryan Report reporting of complaints, 1.33, 1.36, 1.96, 1.111, 18.6, 20.4, 20.33, 20.89, 21.7-21.8, 21.27, 26.24-26.25, 27.12, 30.28, 31.9, 32.40, 34.19, 34.24, 36.9, 37.24, 40.18, 40.34, 41.6, 41.26, 41.34, 41.43, 43.12, 45.5, 50.6, 51.8, 51.9, 53.7, 55.5, 58.22 Church guidelines, 5.14-5.18, 7.7-7.8 confidentiality issues, 7.8 Department of Health guidelines, 5.21, 6.71, 6.72 failure to report, 1.32 health boards, 5.22-5.23 representative sample, 1.3, 1.8, 1.10, 1.109, 2.2 gender ratio of victims, 11.12 investigation by Commission, 2.37. see also individual names [in bold] number of complaints, 1.8-1.12, 11.9 priests, 11.7-11.8 selection of sample, 11.1-11.6 research into child abuse, 7.46-7.48 Residential Institutions Redress Board, 24.3, 28.127 residential institutions, 6.8, 6.19, 6.20, 28.8-28.26, 39.10, 41.9-41.11, 41.23-41.24, 41.29-41.32, 41.33, 44.2-44.4, 45.2 health boards, role of, 6.20 visits from Clonliffe students, 28.8, 28.13, 41.9-41.11 restorative justice, 58.28 return to ministry, 1.73-1.75, 20.43 advisory panel guidelines in relation to, 7.32-7.43 conditions for, 7.33-7.34 individual cases, 15.12-15.15, 15.20 monitoring and supervision, 7.38. see also monitoring of clerical offenders practical implications, 7.36 risk assessment, 7.34-7.35 Reynolds, Fr Noel, 1.51, 1.66, 30.24, 35.1-35.64 Commission's assessment, 35.56-35.64 Ricardus*, Fr, 1.12, 11.11, 55.1-55.18 Commission's assessment, 55.17-55.18 Ringsend garda station, 29.34 Ringsend parish, 26.4, 29.12, 29.26-29.33, 29.36, 29.55, 29.58, 29.61 Rolestown parish, 12.4 Roman Rota, 3.45, 16.64, 16.73 Rome/Vatican. see also Papal Nuncio appeals to, awareness of clerical sex abuse, 1.18 Curia, 3.35n, 10.34 documents held by, 2.23-2.24 Dublin Archdiocese, and, 3.44-3.49 Framework Document (1996), and, 3.41, 7.13-7.14 rules for dealing with clerical sex abuse, 4.17-4.64. see also under canon law Rossetti, Fr, 35.19 Rotunda Hospital, Dublin, 20.89 Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 7.46 RTÉ, 12.21, 17.36, 24.41, 24.76, 38.3. see also Liveline; Morning Ireland; Prime Time Rufus*, Fr, 52.1-52.24 Commission's assessment, 52.23-52.24 Rundle, Mervyn, 29.13-29.21, 29.39, 29.40, 29.52, 29.62 Ryan, Dermot (Archbishop of Dublin, 1972-1984), 1.20, 1.23, 1.25, 1.36, 1.38, 1.41, 1.49, 1.50, 1.56, 1.64, 3.24, 4.21, 4.36, 4.88, 20.77, 24.6, 24.8, 25.7, 27.3, 27.37, 27.48, 29.14, 35.6, 57.1 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.21 handling of complaints, 3.19-3.21, 12.10, 12.12, 12.18, 12.46-12.48, 15.5, 16.25, 16.27, 16.28, 16.72, 17.8-17.9, 18.4, 21.3, 21.31, 23.6, 23.8, 23.10, 29.6, 35.12-35.14 Carney case, 28.4, 28.5, 28.6, 28.37, 28.46, 28.48, 28.63-28.65, 28.70, 28.71, 28.74-28.76 Moore case, 26.1-26.2, 26.5, 26.8, 26.10, 26.11-26.12, 26.36-26.40 Payne case, 24.5, 24.7, 24.9, 24.14, 24.27, 24.79 Ryan Commission, 1.6, 1.7, 7.45 Ryan Report, 1.5-1.7, 6.19 Sacramento diocese (California), 1.49, 15.12, 15.13 – 15.16, 15.21, 20.115, 20.117, 20.118, 20.124-20.126, 20.137, 20.160 Sacramentorum Sanctitatis Tutela (2001), 3.49, 4.29 Saggart parish, 35.15 St John of God Hospital, Dublin, 26.5, 26.38, 27.4, 27.10 St John of God Order (Hospitallers), 11.14, 11.16, 17.15, 17.26, 28.119, 33.5, 33.18, 33.19. see also Quinton*, Fr; St John of God Hospital St Joseph's orphanage, Tivoli Road, 28.8, 28.11-28.17, 28.25, 28.91, 28.92, 28.96, 28.98, 28.126, 41.9, 41.10, 41.23, 41.33 St Laurence O'Toole Trust, 3.6 St Malachy's College, Belfast, 10.32 St Mary's School for the Deaf, 22.6-22.12, 22.20 St Nicholas of Myra parish. see Dunlavin parish St Patrick's College, Maynooth, 7.52, 10.1 education/formation of priests, 10.32, 10.33, 10.36-10.38 St Patrick's Hospital, Dublin, 20.151, 28.60, 28.61, 28.65, 28.67, 28.68 St Patrick's Missionary Society, Kiltegan, 8.31, 29.1, 29.37, 29.43, 29.60. see also Naughton, Fr Thomas St Peter's parish, Phibsborough, 22.1, 22.4, 22.10-22.12, 22.15, 22.19 St Vincent's Hospital, Dublin, 20.24, 24.11 St Vincent's industrial school, Drogheda, 28.8, 28.10, 41.9 San Diego diocese (USA), 17.11-17.12, 17.36 Santa Fe archdiocese (USA), 20.62, 20.72 Santa Rosa diocese (USA), 20.74-20.81, 20.84, 20.124 scandal, avoidance of, 1.15, 1.32, 20.103, 20.104 school chaplains, 42.11-42.12 Scicluna, Charles J, 1.18n Scotland Yard, 13.5 Seattle diocese (USA), 17.13-17.14 secrecy, requirement of. see confidentiality/secrecy secret archive, 3.35, 4.88, 24.29, 34.8, 52.17 seminaries, 10.1, 10.32. see also education/formation of priests Septimus*, Fr, 1.38, 27.1-27.48 Commission's assessment, 27.46-27.48 Sergius*, Fr, 42.1-42.23 Commission's assessment, 42.20-42.23 Servants of the Paraclete, 11.14, 11.15, 20.34, 20.35 treatment centres. see Jemez Springs (New Mexico); Stroud (England) settlements with victims, 1.112, 9.24, 12.29, 13.68, 16.69, 17.20, 17.25, 23.33, 36.11, 38.12, 52.22 Sex Offenders Act 2001, 1.83, 26.33, 32.38, 38.14 Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church (2003), 1.18n Sheehy, Msgr Gerard (chancellor, 1965-1975), 1.23, 1.26, 1.62, 3.24, 4.21, 4.31, 4.36, 11.13 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.22 handling of complaints, 20.65, 24.5, 30.9-30.10, 30.12, 30.20, 30.21, 30.26, 30.27, 41.35-41.36 Payne case, 24.27, 24.37, 24.47, 24.53, 24.58-24.59, 24.81, 41.36 Sisters of Our Lady of Charity. see The Grange orphanage; An Grianán Smyth, Fr Brendan, 1.19, 7.3, 12.22, 24.37, 37.2 social work service (health authorities), 6.38, 6.39, 6.40-6.41, 6.42, 6.43 child sex abuse complaints, handling of, 6.52-6.57 staff shortages, 6.57-6.58 Society of St Columban. see Columban Fathers South Eastern Health Board (SEHB), 6.33 Stardust fire, 20.127, 20.129 State authorities, 1.92-1.101. see also Garda investigations; health authorities; health boards; HSE child protection, responsibility for, 1.99-1.100, 1.113 communications with Church authorities, 1.101 cover-up, facilitation of, 1.113 Stella Maris Football Club, 12.5-12.9 Stenson, Msgr Alex (chancellor, 1981-1997), 1.60, 1.89, 3.37, 4.21, 4.22, 4.30, 4.35, 4.41, 4.47, 4.48, 4.88, 7.17, 7.18, 9.16, 10.11, 11.13, 12.22, 25.9 awareness of clerical child sex abuse, 1.22 handling of complaints, 1.61, 12.22, 12.31, 16.25, 16.29, 16.44, 17.12, 17.14, 17.15-17.16, 17.22-17.23, 17.34, 17.45, 22.23, 23.9-23.11, 24.4-24.5, 24.7, 26.18, 29.14-29.16, 29.19-29.22, 29.36, 29.59, 32.6, 33.6, 33.14, 33.19-33.22, 33.25-33.26, 34.1-34.4, 34.8-34.11, 34.15, 34.20, 35.1, 35.16-35.22, 35.56, 35.57, 37.6, 37.9-37.10, 38.4, 38.8-38.9, 38.16, 41.21-41.24, 41.34, 42.5 Carney case, 28.37, 28.44-28.47, 28.68, 28.74-28.75, 28.78-28.115 passim, 28.123, 28.126, 28.131, 28.135, 29.5 Edmondus* case, 13.17-13.18, 13.22-13.28, 13.32-13.33, 13.39-13.46, 13.51, 13.55, 13.75-13.76 Payne case, 24.37, 24.43, 24.45, 24.49, 24.51, 24.57, 24.71 Septimus* case, 27.9-27.15, 27.26-27.29 Stewardship Trust, 8.3, 8.4, 8.5-8.6, 8.23 Dublin Archdiocese, interaction with, 8.7-8.10 objects of, 8.5 Stockton diocese (USA), 20.152, 20.153, 20.155 Stroud (England) treatment centre, 1.20,,11.15, 16.14, 16.47, 20.33-20.42, 20.47-20.49, 20.140, 20.143, 22.13-22.18, 22.25, 26.10, 28.45, 28.72, 28.78, 28.79, 28.81, 28.119, 29.23-29.25, 29.29, 29.36, 37.13-37.14, 37.17, 37.25, 37.30, 38.1, 51.7, 51.10 suffragen bishops, 3.13, 3.14 support services, 1.16 support structures for victims, 1.111 Sutton Golf Club, 28.54, 28.56 Sutton parish, 1.66, 24.2, 24.14, 24.26, 24.28, 24.40, 24.46, 24.48-24.49, 24.52 Suttonians Rugby Club, 28.56 Task Force on Child Care Services, 6.10-6.13 Terentius*, Fr, 37.1-37.53 Commission's assessment, 37.49-37.53 therapy. see treatment for clerical offenders training in child protection, 7.52 Tralee, Co. Kerry, 20.6, 41.19 treatment for clerical offenders, 1.70-1.72, 1.86, 7.32, 11.14-11.16 costs, 8.31, 20.58 counselling, 1.86 drug therapy, 20.67-20.72, 20.151 individual cases. see under names in representative sample [in bold] psychiatric treatment, 1.70-1.72 treatment centres, 11.14-11.16. see also Granada Institute (Dublin); Jemez Springs (New Mexico); Stroud (England) Trinity College Dublin, 5.10 Trust in Care (2005), 6.76 Tuam, diocese of, 35.13, 35.14, 35.48 Tyrus*, Fr, 18.1-18.7 Commission's assessment, 18.7 United Kingdom, 16.1, 16.2, 16.11, 16.17, 16.30-16.33. see also Stroud University College Dublin, 3.24, 7.48, 10.2, 11.4, 24.1, 24.11 USA, 17.9, 17.26, 17.30, 20.56, 20.68 treatment centres. see Jemez Springs (New Mexico) Valleymount parish, 1.89, 29.1, 29.4-29.12, 29.53, 29.56, 58.17 Vatican. see Rome/Vatican Vatican II (1961-65), 4.9, 4.10, 4.13 vicarious liability, 9.3 vicars forane (deans), 3.25 vicars general, 3.9, 3.10, 3.17 Vice Officialis, 24.27 victims. see complainants Vidal*, Fr, 1.49, 15.1-15.20 Commission's assessment, 15.19 Vincentian Order, 22.1, 22.14, 22.20. see also Gallagher, Fr Donal Walkinstown, 28.4 Walsh, Eamonn (auxiliary bishop, 1990-), 4.50, 7.22, 10.11, 11.13, 35.32, 41.34 committee on child abuse, chairmanship of, 7.45 handling of complaints, 24.27, 43.5 Walsh, Noel (psychiatrist), 20.24-20.25, 30.6-30.7 Payne case, 24.11-24.14, 24.16-24.25, 24.30, 24.31, 24.36, 24.80 Walsh, Dr Patrick, 12.22, 17.15, 17.18, 17.23, 17.24, 26.15, 26.20, 26.22, 26.23, 26.27, 27.13, 27.17, 27.18, 33.5, 33.8-33.13, 33.18, 33.19, 33.22, 33.23, 33.36, 33.40, 33.44, 35.3-35.4, 35.22, 35.24-35.25, 35.26, 35.30, 35.32, 35.34 Fr Horatio case, 21.11-21.21, 21.26 West Indies, 29.1, 29.41 Western Australia Task Force on Child Sexual Abuse, 2.9n Westland Row parish, 1.83 Whitehall garda station, 28.39, 28.49 Wicklow (county), 13.36, 13.54, 13.82-13.83 see also Enniskerry;Glendalough William Street North (parish), 1.78 Williams, Desmond (auxiliary bishop, 1984-1993), 8.1, 28.90, 28.97 handling of complaints, 30.5, 30.6, 30.10 Wilson, Msgr John, 8.1, 8.2, 20.75, 28.38, 28.39, 28.60, 28.62, 28.123, 28.124 Woman and Child Unit (Garda), 5.9 Woods, Dr Michael, TD, 28.6 Would You Believe (RTE), 13.61
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Religion and Cults