Charles Carreon Scribble Factory

Identified as a trouble maker by the authorities since childhood, and resolved to live up to the description, Charles Carreon soon discovered that mischief is most effectively fomented through speech. Having mastered the art of flinging verbal pipe-bombs and molotov cocktails at an early age, he refined his skills by writing legal briefs and journalistic exposes, while developing a poetic style that meandered from the lyrical to the political. Journey with him into the dark caves of the human experience, illuminated by the torch of an outraged sense of injustice.

Re: Charles Carreon Scribble Factory

Postby admin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:38 am

Nubia, by Charles Carreon

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:40 am

1982 Advertising Class Assignment: Flapjack Mix Label, by Charles Carreon

This great work of art was inspired by Don Kay, artist and teacher of artists extraordinaire, a tenured professor at the Southern Oregon University College of Art, whose most memorable comment to our advertising design class was, "we are moving to a vertical society, which means there will be a lot of people at lower income levels and a lot of people at higher income levels." Don's take-home lesson for the ad designer had nothing to do with politics -- the question was, were you going to sell your product to rich people or poor people? If you are selling to rich people, different rules apply, such as using more white space, creating an aura of elegance and entitlement, as if they are lucky you are willing to sell to them. Poor people are more susceptible to cheap-looking design, such as ad pages crowded with multitudinous offers, epitomized in the photography and electronics full-page ad genre, clamoring with small images and slashed prices. It would obviously be more fun and "artistic" to design for the wealthy, but then you'd hate yourself. I took these lessons and went off to law school, telling Don apologetically that I had decided to be a lawyer, and would not be going into the advertising field. Showing the lawyer inside the salesman, Don simply responded, "You could always change your mind."

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:51 am

Law School Folder Mural, by Charles Carreon

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:27 am

Take That! Ouroboros, by Charles Carreon

BOSS REACTION: "DO IT ON YOUR OWN TIME!"

DAD'S REACTION: "THAT'S NOT HOW WE RAISED HIM!"

GIRLFRIEND REACTION: "AS IF I COULD EVER BE WITH A GUY LIKE YOU!"

MOM'S REACTION: "IT'S NOT HIS FAULT!"

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:28 pm

What the Muses Inspired
Drawings by Charles Carreon
12/26/14

Neutopia

Neutopia

Tara

Ramzi

Scribble
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:46 am

Tatoo Concept 1
by Charles Carreon

INTERGALACTIC FIRE-FIGHTERS UNION

IGFFU

Milky Way Chapter

Earth / Local

Saving Planets Is Our Business

"Because Life Is Precious"
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:24 pm

Cold Metal
by Charles Carreon

Cold Metal, by Iggy Pop
Copyright Notice: Iggy Pop, "Instinct," © 1988, A & M Records, Inc.

Uh
I played tag in the auto graveyard
I looked up at the radio tower
Rag tent by the railroad tracks
Concrete poured over steel bridge
Pondered my fate
While they built the interstate

I'm a product of America
From the morgue to the prisons
Cold metal, when I start my band
Cold metal, in my garbage can
Cold metal, gets in my blood
And my attitude

Yeah, a huh

Threw my hide in an automobile
Heard a song called "Drive the wheel"
Truckers, trailers, tractors caught me workin'

This is the song of my heritage
From the bad to the Buddha
Cold metal, that's what it be
Cold metal, from sea to sea
Cold metal, it's how we win
And also how we sin
How we sin, how we sin, how we sin, how we sin

Cold metal, in the afternoon
Sounds lovely like a Hendrix tune
Cold metal, it's the father of beat
The mother of the street
Cold metal, it rolls on by
Cold metal, gonna raise it high
Cold metal, it'll even fly
Rust buckets in the sky
Cold metal, got to be
Skeleton of the free
Cold metal, it's gotta be
Better save a tree
Save a tree, save a tree, save a tree, save a tree
Yeah
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Wave, Particle, Both, Neither?
by Charles Carreon
October, 2018

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:19 pm

Scissor Kick
by Charles Carreon
9/5/22

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:47 pm

Florida schools will begin using Clarence Thomas as an example of a black man who developed great wealth and social standing as a result of being owned by rich white men.

-- Charles Carreon, 8/11/23

DeSantis doubles down on claim that some Blacks benefited from slavery: GOP presidential candidate draws renewed criticism after suggesting slavery helped African Americans develop skills such as being a blacksmith
by Kevin Sullivan and Lori Rozsa
Washington Post
July 22, 2023 at 5:32 p.m. EDT

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is intensifying his efforts to de-emphasize racism in his state’s public school curriculum by arguing that some Black people benefited from being enslaved and defending his state’s new African American history standards that civil rights leaders and scholars say misrepresents centuries of U.S. reality.

“They’re probably going to show that some of the folks that eventually parlayed, you know, being a blacksmith into doing things later in life,” DeSantis said on Friday in response to reporters’ questions while standing in front of a nearly all-White crowd of supporters.

DeSantis, a GOP presidential candidate who is lagging in polls against the front-runner, former president Donald Trump, and is trying to reset his campaign, quickly drew criticism from educators and even some in his party. He has built his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination on attacking what he calls the radical liberal policies of President Biden and the Democratic Party, but the latest remarks could alienate Black voters just as the GOP tries to court them.

Former U.S. Rep. Will Hurd of Texas, who announced last month that he was joining the race for the GOP nomination, blasted the idea that enslaved people were able to use slavery as some kind of training program.

“Slavery wasn’t a jobs program that taught beneficial skills,” Hurd, the son of a Black father and a White mother, tweeted. “It was literally dehumanizing and subjugated people as property because they lacked any rights or freedoms.”

DeSantis, however, is continuing to defend Florida’s new curriculum, which covers a broad range of topics and includes the assertion for middle school instruction that “slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

DeSantis said he “wasn’t involved” in writing the new teaching materials, which took effect this week. But he credited “a lot of scholars” with creating “the most robust standards in African American history probably anywhere in the country.”

Civil rights leaders, educators and others have expressed revulsion at the idea that enslaved people benefited from the experience.

As Biden’s running mate, Vice President Harris has stepped up her attack-dog role, and on Friday traveled to Jacksonville to assail DeSantis’s policies in his home state. She emphasized that slavery involved rape, torture and “some of the worst examples of depriving people of humanity in our world.”

Florida State Rep. Fentrice Driskell, a Tampa Democrat who last year became the first Black woman to become House Democratic Leader, called DeSantis’s latest remarks a continuation of DeSantis’s “assault on Black history.”

“Let’s really dissect what he’s saying here,” she said. “He’s saying that to be ripped away from your homelands and brought to another country against your will, or to be born into the atrocity of the dehumanizing institution that was slavery, that those horrors are some way somehow outweighed by the benefit that you get a trade. Are you kidding me?”

DeSantis issued a statement Friday saying, “Democrats like Kamala Harris have to lie about Florida’s educational standards to cover for their agenda of indoctrinating students and pushing sexual topics onto children.” His campaign did not respond to an email on Saturday requesting comment.

Some on the right defended DeSantis, including Fox News host Jesse Watters.

“No one is arguing slaves benefited from slavery,” Watters said Friday on his prime time show. “No one is saying that. It’s not true. They are teaching how Black people develop skills during slavery in some instances that can be applied for their own personal benefit.”

Biden campaign co-chairman Cedric L. Richmond attacked DeSantis’s defense of the new Florida curriculum as “disgusting.” He added in a statement on Saturday that it was “a symptom of the extremism that’s infected the Republican candidates running for president. There’s no debate over slavery. It was utterly evil with zero redeeming qualities.”

Marvin Dunn, a professor emeritus at Florida International University and author of “A History of Florida: Through Black Eyes,” said DeSantis would gain no political advantage from his argument because “it is so outrageous that people are going to reject it.”

“These children know in their hearts and in their minds that slavery was evil,” he said.

“One of the main things about slavery, beyond the physical damage that it did to people of so many generations, was that it prevented people from becoming what they could have become,” he said.

“So what if you became a carpenter or a blacksmith or a good maid? Your chances of that were not determined by you, it was determined by somebody else. That’s not a rationalization for enslavement.”
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Carry On with Carreon