WalMart: The High Cost of Low Price, directed by Robert Gree

Re: WalMart: The High Cost of Low Price, directed by Robert

Postby admin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:36 am

Part 10 of 11

Chandler, Arizona

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] On December 6, there was an article on the front page of our local paper, and it said that Wal-Mart was going to build a super center on the corner of Queen Creek and Alma School, which is just a very short distance from my house. And this particular location was within our planned community. And it was within walking distance of an elementary school and a junior high school. And I felt that it was an inappropriate location for something of that magnitude.

Jacobson Elementary School.

Bogle Junior High Schook, 1600 W. Queen Creek Road.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] So I decided to form a campaign and say, "No Wal-Mart in our neighborhood."

Inglewood, California

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] Living as Christ has taught us, we begin to transform the world. This transformation is visible in the reading we have from Acts.

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] We are really trying to show why the work that we're doing is the work of the gospel.

[Madeline Janis-Aparicio, Executive Director - LA Alliance for a New Economy] The lesson we learned in Inglewood is that we have the ability through our democracy to take power, and take control, and actually hold these companies accountable.

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] As a nation in this world, the most powerful, the most affluent, we have the power to make sure that all have what they need. This is not some pie-in-the-sky vision, but instead, this is our call as Christians to make this happen.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] One of my neighbors and I went and hand-made some little posters, and we decided that we were going to have a meeting in the local park, which was about a block from here. We had no idea how many people would show up. We were absolutely amazed. And all of them wanted to do something.

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] In the beginning, there was only a few of us. Not a lot of people came to the meetings. Only some supermarket workers and a couple of churches, remember? And then, little by little, more people, and so they started putting on the pressure.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] They wanted to build the Wal-Mart on this whole parcel. It was going to be 215,000 square feet, and there was going to be ...

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] Wal-Mart was going to take this whole space. It's like 17 football fields big. Aand they were going to build one big box that was Wal-Mart, and then little stores inbetween. And another big box that was Sam's Club.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] We volunteered to do the various chores that we had. And then we solicited what I call a core committee. And that was a group of people who would be responsible for the strategy, press releases, everything that needed to be done to organize our campaign.

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] So then the coalition started getting bigger and bigger, and before you knew it, everybody felt like if they weren't a part of a coalition for a better Inglewood, they weren't standing up to defend the community.

Jane Chatten-Brown, Laane Legal Consultant

[Madeline Janis-Aparicio, Executive Director - LA Alliance for a New Economy] And I think the other lesson learned in Inglewood is that there's no magic potion to suddenly, you click this, you put this together, and suddenly you're going to win. It's a hard process. There are a lot of things you have to put in place, but when you put those things in place, you can win. It includes the ability to organize with regular people: the small business owner and workers.

WOODY'S BAR-B-QUE.

INGLEWOOD TIRE & AUTO SERVICE INC. Since 1939.

[Daniel Tabor, former Inglewood City Councilman] We got our message focused. We hammered away on the phones. Hammered away on doors. People saw us coming and going when they went to church. Every time they went to a store in Inglewood, there was a flyer about our effort. We had rallies.

[Madeline Janis-Aparicio, Executive Director - LA Alliance for a New Economy] It includes a legal strategy, enough resources to have the research to be able to make your case, to be able to have the materials. It includes the ability to get out your message through the press. To do media events.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] We grew to 187 volunteers, and we had block captains, and we had an area chairman. We proceeded to gather signatures on our petitions, and we started out with 1,500 signatures. And by the time we got through, we had 4,000 signatures. And they were all from people within our, what I call area code, zip code.

[News Announcer] Inglewood is the first test for Wal-Mart's ambitious plans in California, and activists say the stakes here are huge.

Welcome To The City of INGLEWOOD WAL-MART WOOD. Don't Let Wal-Mart Rollback Democracy In Our Community. Coalition for a Better Inglewood.

[Rev. Altagracia Perez] This is like Godzilla Eats Tokyo. This is much bigger than David and Goliath.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] All of the information that was coming from Wal-Mart kept saying, "It's a done deal; there's nothing you can do about it; we have our zoning; don't waste your time." But we knew better.

BAD NEWS FOR WAL-MART.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] 98% of S. Chandler residents oppose Alma School supercenter. -- Then we had numerous public meetings to let the public know what's happening, what the status was.

More than just a store? RVers taking refuge in Wal-Mart parking lots.
admin
Site Admin

Re: WalMart: The High Cost of Low Price, directed by Robert

Postby admin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:55 am

Part 11 of 11

[Woman] It's not like they came into the small towns in the South, or towns that have no business and they brought in business. No, no, no. This is something completely different.

[Rev. James Lawson, Pastor Emeritus, Holman United Methodist Church] They represent from Bentonville, Arkansas, plantation capitalism.

[Rep, Maxine Waters, (D) California] The future of this community depends on our ability to stop the monster in its tracks.

[News Announcer] Wal-Mart sponsored the ballot initiative after Inglewood City Council opposed building a Wal-Mart super center on the site. Today, Wal-Mart opponents charged the initiative, Measure 4A, hijacks the city's planning process.

[Rev. Altagracia Perez] It is 71 pages of legal fine print that seeks to cut the community out of its own development process.

[Earl Ofari Hutchinson] What they did was, essentially tell the City of Inglewood, "Get out of here! We are the biggest corporation in the world. We can go in and essentially BUY an election.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] We held public meetings, we did our letters, we held private meetings with city council members ...

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] We were out on the street and doing the work, to be sure the people understood, that to those who much has been given, much will be expected.

I'm sure the Walton family believes that they are a good Christian family. But not if they're going to make billions at the expense of poor workers. And I'm sure that there are a lot of people who think they are good Christian companies. Not if they're going to make money off the backs of people who are suffering.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] A lot of people sacrificed an awful lot to have all the freedoms that we have. And that flag represents to me all of our freedoms. Our freedom to fight Wal-Mart, our freedom to live where we want to, work where we want to, have a say in our government.

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] They can say and believe whatever they want about, you know, trickle down theories of capital, and whatever other nonsense they want to invent to hold on to their capital. But as Christians we don't have that option. That's not our option. We're not about capital. We're about people.

[Sandra Laney, Chandler, Arizona - Resident] We came before the city council for the final vote, and the council voted 6-nothing to deny Wal-Mart and Best Star, the developer, the right to build the store on that property.

[Lou Dobbs Tonight] Wal-Mart Vote. Residents of Inglewood, California, are voting today on whether to approve the construction of a new shopping development dominated by Wal-Mart.

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] That night we gathered in a local restaurant hoping for a miracle. We braced to go back to court if the measure passed.

[News Announcer] And now the votes are coming in on a proposed Wal-Mart superstore in Inglewood.

[News Announcer] This small group of people took on a giant and won.

[Altagracia Perez, Reverend, Holy Faith Episcopal Church] And it was really meaningful because nobody told them to [inaudible]

[Man] Monroeville, PA Rejects Wal-Mart. The city council in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, handed Wal-Mart their [inaudible].

[Woman] Cobb County Georgia says no to Wal-Mart! Wal*Mart Alliance for Reform Now. W*A*R*N. Wal-Mart packs its bags in Cobb County, Georgia.

[Man] Wal-Mart loses in Hickory, North Carolina. Community resistance paid off in Hickory, North Carolina. Wal-Mart hit the road.

[Woman] Anti Wal-Mart candidates sweep the Helotes, Texas election.

Wal-Mart retreats in Biloxi, Mississippi.

[Lee Scott, CEO, Wal-Mart] When you have a group of people, a SMALL group of people, who don't want you in the community, does that mean you're not going to go there?

[Man] Thorton, Colorado defeated Wal-Mart.

Victory! Las Vegas, Nevada. Victory! Lakeway, Texas.

Victory! Hayden, Idaho. Victory! Colchester, Connecticut. Victory! Centerville, Utah. Victory! Harrison, New Jersey.

Victory! Carlsbad, California. Victory! Fort Wright, Kentucky. Victory! Hood River, Oregon. Victory! Topsham, Maine. Victory! Saranac Lake.

Victory! Manhattan, Kansas.

Victory! Charlevoix, Michigan. Victory! Manhattan, Kansas.

Victory! Blue Springs, Missouri. Victory! Nashua, New Hampshire. Victory! Stanwood, Washington.

Victory! Morgantown, West Virginia. Victory! Rosemead, California.

Wal*Mart Exploits Employees. Victory! Terre Haute, Indiana. Victory! Brighton Bay, Florida.

Victory! Beavercreek, Ohio. Victory! Chicago, Illinois. Victory! Pueblo West, Colorado. Victory! Morgantown, West Virginia.

Victory! Hagerstown, Maryland. Victory! Dunkirk, Maryland. Victory! Gresham, Oregon. Victory! Guelph, Ontario. Victory! Ham Lake, Minnesota. Victory! Decatur, Indiana. Victory! Deptford, New Jersey.

Equal Pay 4 Equal Work. Wal-Mart Hurts Small Business.

NO WAL-MART ON WETLANDS!

WAL*MART VOTED "LARGEST SWEATSHOP RETAILER"

DON'T "WAL-MART" BRIDGEPORT. NOT HERE! Help us fight. Call 582-4189.

Victory!

Produced and Directed by Robert Greenwald.

Produced by Jim Gilliam, Devin Smith.

Co-Produced by Sarah Feeley.

Co-Producers: Caty Borum, Kerry Candaele, Luisa Dantas.

Outreach Producer: Lisa Smithline.

Director of Photography: Kristy Tully.

Editors: Chris Gordon, Douglas Cheek, Jonathan Brock, Robert Florio, A.C.E.

Assistant Editors: Mobolaji Olambiwonnu, Lissette Roldan.

Lead Researcher: Meleiza Figueroa.

Music Composed by John Frizzell.

[News Announcer, Channel 9] May 29th, a Hawaiian group sued claiming Wal-Mart and the State violated grave desecration laws and public trust.

[Woman] Where do you get off coming here?

[Man] What if it was their great-grandfather that was desecrated?

[News Announcer, Channel 9] For now, the remains are being stored in a trailer below a ramp leading to a parking garage at Wal-Mart.

[Weldon Nicholson, Walmart Store Manager Trainer - 17 years] We put a sign up in the Worthington, Minnesota store that was 10 feet over the city code there, and the building inspector red-tagged it. And the next thing I know, there's an overnight, they call me and tell me there's an overnight package coming for me, and I'm to take it to this person. The envelope wasn't sealed. And so I just opened it up, and there's a $10,000 check. And I gave it to the individual, and the very next day, the red tag was off the sign.
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Little Movies