The Argonautica, by Apollonius Rhodius

Re: The Argonautica, by Apollonius Rhodius

Postby admin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:01 pm

Part 2 of 2

She spake, and vanished into the depths of the sea; but sharp pain smote Peleus, for never before had he seen her come, since first she left her bridal chamber and bed in anger, on account of noble Achilles, then a babe. For she ever encompassed the child's mortal flesh in the night with the flame of fire; and day by day she anointed with ambrosia his tender frame, so that he might become immortal and that she might keep off from his body loathsome old age. But Peleus leapt up from his bed and saw his dear son gasping in the flame; and at the sight he uttered a terrible cry, fool that he was; and she heard it, and catching up the child threw him screaming to the ground, and herself like a breath of wind passed swiftly from the hall as a dream and leapt into the sea, exceeding wroth, and thereafter returned not again. Wherefore blank amazement fettered his soul; nevertheless he declared to his comrades all the bidding of Thetis. And they broke off in the midst and hurriedly ceased their contests, and prepared their meal and earth-strewn beds, whereon after supper they slept through the night as aforetime.

Now when dawn the light-bringer was touching the edge of heaven, then at the coming of the swift west wind they went to their thwarts from the land; and gladly did they draw up the anchors from the deep and made the tackling ready in due order; and above spread the sail, stretching it taut with the sheets from the yard-arm. And a fresh breeze wafted the ship on. And soon they saw a fair island, Anthemoessa, where the clear-voiced Sirens, daughters of Achelous, used to beguile with their sweet songs whoever cast anchor there, and then destroy him. Them lovely Terpsichore, one of the Muses, bare, united with Achelous; and once they tended Demeter's noble daughter still unwed, and sang to her in chorus; and at that time they were fashioned in part like birds and in part like maidens to behold. And ever on the watch from their place of prospect with its fair haven, often from many had they taken away their sweet return, consuming them with wasting desire; and suddenly to the heroes, too, they sent forth from their lips a lily-like voice. And they were already about to cast from the ship the hawsers to the shore, had not Thracian Orpheus, son of Oeagrus, stringing in his hands his Bistonian lyre, rung forth the hasty snatch of a rippling melody so that their ears might be filled with the sound of his twanging; and the lyre overcame the maidens' voice. And the west wind and the sounding wave rushing astern bore the ship on; and the Sirens kept uttering their ceaseless song. But even so the goodly son of Teleon alone of the comrades leapt before them all from the polished bench into the sea, even Butes, his soul melted by the clear ringing voice of the Sirens; and he swam through the dark surge to mount the beach, poor wretch. Quickly would they have robbed him of his return then and there, but the goddess that rules Eryx, Cypris, in pity snatched him away, while yet in the eddies, and graciously meeting him saved him to dwell on the Lilybean height. And the heroes, seized by anguish, left the Sirens, but other perils still worse, destructive to ships, awaited them in the meeting-place of the seas.

For on one side appeared the smooth rock of Scylla; on the other Charybdis ceaselessly spouted and roared; in another part the Wandering rocks were booming beneath the mighty surge, where before the burning flame spurted forth from the top of the crags, above the rock glowing with fire, and the air was misty with smoke, nor could you have seen the sun's light. Then, though Hephaestus had ceased from his toils, the sea was still sending up a warm vapour. Hereupon on this side and on that the daughters of Nereus met them; and behind, lady Thetis set her hand to the rudder-blade, to guide them amid the Wandering rocks. And as when in fair weather herds of dolphins come up from the depths and sport in circles round a ship as it speeds along, now seen in front, now behind, now again at the side—and delight comes to the sailors; so the Nereids darted upward and circled in their ranks round the ship Argo, while Thetis guided its course. And when they were about to touch the Wandering rocks, straightway they raised the edge of their garments over their snow-white knees, and aloft on the very rocks and where the waves broke, they hurried along on this side and on that apart from one another. And the ship was raised aloft as the current smote her, and all around the furious wave mounting up broke over the rocks, which at one time touched the sky like towering crags, at another, down in the depths, were fixed fast at the bottom of the sea and the fierce waves poured over them in floods. And the Nereids, even as maidens near some sandy beach roll their garments up to their waists out of their way and sport with a shapely-rounded ball; then they catch it one from another and send it high into the air; and it never touches the ground; so they in turn one from another sent the ship through the air over the waves, as it sped on ever away from the rocks; and round them the water spouted and foamed. And lord Hephaestus himself standing on the summit of a smooth rock and resting his massy shoulder on the handle of his hammer, beheld them, and the spouse of Zeus beheld them as she stood above the gleaming heaven; and she threw her arms round Athena, such fear seized her as she gazed. And as long as the space of a day is lengthened out in springtime, so long a time did they toil, heaving the ship between the loud-echoing rocks; then again the heroes caught the wind and sped onward; and swiftly they passed the mead of Thrinacia, where the kine of Helios fed. There the nymphs, like sea-mews, plunged beneath the depths, when they had fulfilled the behests of the spouse of Zeus. And at the same time the bleating of sheep came to the heroes through the mist and the lowing of kine, near at hand, smote their ears. And over the dewy leas Phaëthusa, the youngest of the daughters of Helios, tended the sheep, bearing in her hand a silver crook; while Lampetia, herding the kine, wielded a staff of glowing orichalcum[1] as she followed. These kine the heroes saw feeding by the river's stream, over the plain and the water-meadow; not one of them was dark in hue but all were white as milk and glorying in their horns of gold. So they passed them by in the day-time, and when night came on they were cleaving a great sea-gulf, rejoicing, until again early rising dawn threw light upon their course.

[Footnote 1: A fabulous metal, resembling gold in appearance.]

Fronting the Ionian gulf there lies an island in the Ceraunian sea, rich in soil, with a harbour on both sides, beneath which lies the sickle, as legend saith—grant me grace, O Muses, not willingly do I tell this tale of olden days—wherewith Cronos pitilessly mutilated his father; but others call it the reaping-hook of Demeter, goddess of the nether world. For Demeter once dwelt in that island, and taught the Titans to reap the ears of corn, all for the love of Macris. Whence it is called Drepane,[1] the sacred nurse of the Phaeacians; and thus the Phaeacians themselves are by birth of the blood of Uranus. To them came Argo, held fast by many toils, borne by the breezes from the Thrinacian sea; and Alcinous and his people with kindly sacrifice gladly welcomed their coming; and over them all the city made merry; thou wouldst say they were rejoicing over their own sons. And the heroes themselves strode in gladness through the throng, even as though they had set foot in the heart of Haemonia; but soon were they to arm and raise the battle-cry; so near to them appeared a boundless host of Colchians, who had passed through the mouth of Pontus and between the Cyanean rocks in search of the chieftains. They desired forthwith to carry off Medea to her father's house apart from the rest, or else they threatened with fierce cruelty to raise the dread war-cry both then and thereafter on the coming of Aeetes. But lordly Alcinous checked them amid their eagerness for war. For he longed to allay the lawless strife between both sides without the clash of battle. And the maiden in deadly fear often implored the comrades of Aeson's son, and often with her hands touched the knees of Arete, the bride of Alcinous:

[Footnote 1: i.e. the Sickle-island.]

"I beseech thee, O queen, be gracious and deliver me not to the Colchians to be borne to my father, if thou thyself too art one of the race of mortals, whose heart rushes swiftly to ruin from light transgressions. For my firm sense forsook me—it was not for wantonness. Be witness the sacred light of Helios, be witness the rites of the maiden that wanders by night, daughter of Perses. Not willingly did I haste from my home with men of an alien race but a horrible fear wrought on me to bethink me of flight when I sinned; other device was there none. Still my maiden's girdle remains, as in the halls of my father, unstained, untouched. Pity me, lady, and turn thy lord to mercy; and may the immortals grant thee a perfect life, and joy, and children, and the glory of a city unravaged!"

Thus did she implore Arete, shedding tears, and thus each of the chieftains in turn:

"On your account, ye men of peerless might, and on account of my toils in your ventures am I sorely afflicted; even I, by whose help ye yoked the bulls, and reaped the deadly harvest of the earthborn men; even I, through whom on your homeward path ye shall bear to Haemonia the golden fleece. Lo, here am I, who have lost my country and my parents, who have lost my home and all the delights of life; to you have I restored your country and your homes; with eyes of gladness ye will see again your parents; but from me a heavy-handed god has reft all joy; and with strangers I wander, an accursed thing. Fear your covenant and your oaths, fear the Fury that avenges suppliants and the retribution of heaven, if I fall into Aeetes' hands and am slain with grievous outrage. To no shrines, no tower of defence, no other refuge do I pay heed, but/only to you. Hard and pitiless in your cruelty! No reverence have ye for me in your heart though ye see me helpless, stretching my hands towards the knees of a stranger queen; yet, when ye longed to seize the fleece, would have met all the Colchians face to face and haughty Aeetes himself; but now ye have forgotten your courage, now that they are all alone and cut off."

Thus she spake, beseeching; and to whomsoever she bowed in prayer, that man tried to give her heart and to check her anguish. And in their hands they shook their sharp pointed spears, and drew the swords from their sheaths; and they swore they would not hold back from giving succour, if she should meet with an unrighteous judgement. And the host were all wearied and Night came on them, Night that puts to rest the works of men, and lulled all the earth to sleep; but to the maid no sleep brought rest, but in her bosom her heart was wrung with anguish. Even as when a toiling woman turns her spindle through the night, and round her moan her orphan children, for she is a widow, and down her cheeks fall the tears, as she bethinks her how dreary a lot hath seized her; so Medea's cheeks were wet; and her heart within her was in agony, pierced with sharp pain.

Now within the palace in the city, as aforetime, lay lordly Alcinous and Arete, the revered wife of Alcinous, and on their couch through the night they were devising plans about the maiden; and him, as her wedded husband, the wife addressed with loving words:

"Yea, my friend, come, save the woe-stricken maid from the Colchians and show grace to the Minyae. Argos is near our isle and the men of Haemonia; but Aeetes dwells not near, nor do we know of Aeetes one whit: we hear but his name; but this maiden of dread suffering hath broken my heart by her prayers. O king, give her not up to the Colchians to be borne back to her father's home. She was distraught when first she gave him the drugs to charm the oxen; and next, to cure one ill by another, as in our sinning we do often, she fled from her haughty sire's heavy wrath. But Jason, as I hear, is bound to her by mighty oaths that he will make her his wedded wife within his halls. Wherefore, my friend, make not, of thy will, Aeson's son to be forsworn, nor let the father, if thou canst help, work with angry heart some intolerable mischief on his child. For fathers are all too jealous against their children; what wrong did Nycteus devise against Antiope, fair of face! What woes did Danae endure on the wide sea through her sire's mad rage! Of late, and not far away, Echetus in wanton cruelty thrust spikes of bronze in his daughter's eyes; and by a grievous fate is she wasting away, grinding grains of bronze in a dungeon's gloom."

Thus she spake, beseeching; and by his wife's words his heart was softened, and thus he spake:

"Arete, with arms I could drive forth the Colchians, showing grace to the heroes for the maiden's sake. But I fear to set at nought the righteous judgment of Zeus. Nor is it well to take no thought of Aeetes, as thou sayest: for none is more lordly than Aeetes. And, if he willed, he might bring war upon Hellas, though he dwell afar. Wherefore it is right for me to deliver the judgement that in all men's eyes shall be best; and I will not hide it from thee. If she be yet a maid I decree that they carry her back to her father; but if she shares a husband's bed, I will not separate her from her lord; nor, if she bear a child beneath her breast, will I give it up to an enemy."

Thus he spake, and at once sleep laid him to rest. And she stored up in her heart the word of wisdom, and straightway rose from her couch and went through the palace; and her handmaids came hasting together, eagerly tending their mistress. But quietly she summoned her herald and addressed him, in her prudence urging Aeson's son to wed the maiden, and not to implore Alcinous; for he himself, she said, will decree to the Colchians that if she is still a maid he will deliver her up to be borne to her father's house, but that if she shares a husband's bed he will not sever her from wedded love.

Thus she spake, and quickly from the hall his feet bore him, that be might declare to Jason the fair-omened speech of Arete and the counsel of god-fearing Alcinous. And he found the heroes watching in full armour in the haven of Hyllus, near the city; and out he spake the whole message; and each hero's heart rejoiced; for the word that he spake was welcome.

And straightway they mingled a bowl to the blessed ones, as is right, and reverently led sheep to the altar, and for that very night prepared for the maiden the bridal couch in the sacred cave, where once dwelt Macris, the daughter of Aristaeus, lord of honey, who discovered the works of bees and the fatness of the olive, the fruit of labour. She it was that first received in her bosom the Nysean son of Zeus in Abantian Euboea, and with honey moistened his parched lips when Hermes bore him out of the flame. And Hera beheld it, and in wrath drove her from the whole island. And she accordingly came to dwell far off, in the sacred cave of the Phaeacians, and granted boundless wealth to the inhabitants. There at that time did they spread a mighty couch; and thereon they laid the glittering fleece of gold, that so the marriage might be made honoured and the theme of song. And for them nymphs gathered flowers of varied hue and bore them thither in their white bosoms; and a splendour as of flame played round them all, such a light gleamed from the golden tufts. And in their eyes it kindled a sweet longing; yet for all her desire, awe withheld each one from laying her hand thereon. Some were called daughters of the river Aegaeus; others dwelt round the crests of the Meliteian mount; and others were woodland nymphs from the plains. For Hera herself, the spouse of Zeus, had sent them to do honour to Jason. That cave is to this day called the sacred cave of Medea, where they spread the fine and fragrant linen and brought these two together. And the heroes in their hands wielded their spears for war, lest first a host of foes should burst upon them for battle unawares, and, their heads enwreathed with leafy sprays, all in harmony, while Orpheus' harp rang clear, sang the marriage song at the entrance to the bridal chamber. Yet not in the house of Alcinous was the hero, Aeson's son, minded to complete his marriage, but in his father's hall when he had returned home to Iolcus; and such was the mind of Medea herself; but necessity led them to wed at this time. For never in truth do we tribes of woe-stricken mortals tread the path of delight with sure foot; but still some bitter affliction keeps pace with our joy; Wherefore they too, though their souls were melted with sweet love, were held by fear, whether the sentence of Alcinous would be fulfilled.

Now dawn returning with her beams divine scattered the gloomy night through the sky; and the island beaches laughed out and the paths over the plains far off, drenched with dew, and there was a din in the streets; the people were astir throughout the city, and far away the Colchians were astir at the bounds of the isle of Macris. And straightway to them went Alcinous, by reason of his covenant, to declare his purpose concerning the maiden, and in his hand he held a golden staff, his staff of justice, whereby the people had righteous judgments meted out to them throughout the city. And with him in order due and arrayed in their harness of war went marching, band by band, the chiefs of the Phaeacians. And from the towers came forth the women in crowds to gaze upon the heroes; and the country folk came to meet them when they heard the news, for Hera had sent forth a true report. And one led the chosen ram of his Hock, and another a heifer that had never toiled; and others set hard by jars of wine for mixing; and the smoke of sacrifice leapt up far away. And women bore fine linen, the fruit of much toil, as women will, and gifts of gold and varied ornaments as well, such as are brought to newly-wedded brides; and they marvelled when they saw the shapely forms and beauty of the gallant heroes, and among them the son of Oeagrus, oft beating the ground with gleaming sandal, to the time of his loud-ringing lyre and song. And all the nymphs together, whenever he recalled the marriage, uplifted the lovely bridal-chant; and at times again they sang alone as they circled in the dance, Hera, in thy honour; for it was thou that didst put it into the heart of Arete to proclaim the wise word of Alcinous. And as soon as he had uttered the decree of his righteous judgement, and the completion of the marriage had been proclaimed, he took care that thus it should abide fixed; and no deadly fear touched him nor Aeetes' grievous wrath, but he kept his judgement fast bound by unbroken oaths. So when the Colchians learnt that they were beseeching in vain and he bade them either observe his judgements or hold their ships away from his harbours and land, then they began to dread the threats of their own king and besought Alcinous to receive them as comrades; and there in the island long time they dwelt with the Phaeacians, until in the course of years, the Bacchiadae, a race sprung from Ephyra,[1] settled among them; and the Colchians passed to an island opposite; and thence they were destined to reach the Ceraunian hills of the Abantes, and the Nestaeans and Oricum; but all this was fulfilled after long ages had passed. And still the altars which Medea built on the spot sacred to Apollo, god of shepherds, receive yearly sacrifices in honour of the Fates and the Nymphs. And when the Minyae departed many gifts of friendship did Alcinous bestow, and many Arete; moreover she gave Medea twelve Phaeacian handmaids from the palace, to bear her company. And on the seventh day they left Drepane; and at dawn came a fresh breeze from Zeus. And onward they sped borne along by the wind's breath. Howbeit not yet was it ordained for the heroes to set foot on Achaea, until they had toiled even in the furthest bounds of Libya.

[Footnote 1: The old name of Corinth.]

Now had they left behind the gulf named after the Ambracians, now with sails wide spread the land of the Curetes, and next in order the narrow islands with the Echinades, and the land of Pelops was just descried; even then a baleful blast of the north wind seized them in mid-course and swept them towards the Libyan sea nine nights and as many days, until they came far within Syrtis, wherefrom is no return for ships, when they are once forced into that gulf. For on every hand are shoals, on every hand masses of seaweed from the depths; and over them the light foam of the wave washes without noise; and there is a stretch of sand to the dim horizon; and there moveth nothing that creeps or flies. Here accordingly the flood-tide—for this tide often retreats from the land and bursts back again over the beach coming on with a rush and roar—thrust them suddenly on to the innermost shore, and but little of the keel was left in the water. And they leapt forth from the ship, and sorrow seized them when they gazed on the mist and the levels of vast land stretching far like a mist and continuous into the distance; no spot for water, no path, no steading of herdsmen did they descry afar off, but all the scene was possessed by a dead calm. And thus did one hero, vexed in spirit, ask another:

"What land is this? Whither has the tempest hurled us? Would that, reckless of deadly fear, we had dared to rush on by that same path between the clashing rocks! Better were it to have overleapt the will of Zeus and perished in venturing some mighty deed. But now what should we do, held back by the winds to stay here, if ever so short a time? How desolate looms before us the edge of the limitless land!"

Thus one spake; and among them Ancaeus the helmsman, in despair at their evil case, spoke with grieving heart: "Verily we are undone by a terrible doom; there is no escape from ruin; we must suffer the cruellest woes, having fallen on this desolation, even though breezes should blow from the land; for, as I gaze far around, on every side do I behold a sea of shoals, and masses of water, fretted line upon line, run over the hoary sand. And miserably long ago would our sacred ship have been shattered far from the shore; but the tide itself bore her high on to the land from the deep sea. But now the tide rushes back to the sea, and only the foam, whereon no ship can sail, rolls round us, just covering the land. Wherefore I deem that all hope of our voyage and of our return is cut off. Let someone else show his skill; let him sit at the helm—the man that is eager for our deliverance. But Zeus has no will to fulfil our day of return after all our toils."

Thus he spake with tears, and all of them that had knowledge of ships agreed thereto; but the hearts of all grew numb, and pallor overspread their cheeks. And as, like lifeless spectres, men roam through a city awaiting the issue of war or of pestilence, or some mighty storm which overwhelms the countless labours of oxen, when the images of their own accord sweat and run down with blood, and bellowings are heard in temples, or when at mid-day the sun draws on night from heaven, and the stars shine clear through the mist; so at that time along the endless strand the chieftains wandered, groping their way. Then straightway dark evening came upon them; and piteously did they embrace each other and say farewell with tears, that they might, each one apart from his fellow, fall on the sand and die. And this way and that they went further to choose a resting-place; and they wrapped their heads in their cloaks and, fasting and unfed, lay down all that night and the day, awaiting a piteous death. But apart the maidens huddled together lamented beside the daughter of Aeetes. And as when, forsaken by their mother, unfledged birds that have fallen from a cleft in the rock chirp shrilly; or when by the banks of fair-flowing Pactolus, swans raise their song, and all around the dewy meadow echoes and the river's fair stream; so these maidens, laying in the dust their golden hair, all through the night wailed their piteous lament. And there all would have parted from life without a name and unknown to mortal men, those bravest of heroes, with their task unfulfilled; but as they pined in despair, the heroine-nymphs, warders of Libya, had pity on them, they who once found Athena, what time she leapt in gleaming armour from her father's head, and bathed her by Trito's waters. It was noon-tide and the fiercest rays of the sun were scorching Libya; they stood near Aeson's son, and lightly drew the cloak from his head. And the hero cast down his eyes and looked aside, in reverence for the goddesses, and as he lay bewildered all alone they addressed him openly with gentle words:

"Ill-starred one, why art thou so smitten with despair? We know how ye went in quest of the golden fleece; we know each toil of yours, all the mighty deeds ye wrought in your wanderings over land and sea. We are the solitary ones, goddesses of the land, speaking with human voice, the heroines, Libya's warders and daughters. Up then; be not thus afflicted in thy misery, and rouse thy comrades. And when Amphitrite has straightway loosed Poseidon's swift-wheeled car, then do ye pay to your mother a recompense for all her travail when she bare you so long in her womb; and so ye may return to the divine land of Achaea."

Thus they spake, and with the voice vanished at once, where they stood.
But Jason sat upon the earth as he gazed around, and thus cried:
"Be gracious, noble goddesses of the desert, yet the saying about our return I understand not clearly. Surely I will gather together my comrades and tell them, if haply we can find some token of our escape, for the counsel of many is better."

He spake, and leapt to his feet, and shouted afar to his comrades, all squalid with dust, like a lion when he roars through the woodland seeking his mate; and far off in the mountains the glens tremble at the thunder of his voice; and the oxen of the field and the herdsmen shudder with fear; yet to them Jason's voice was no whit terrible—the voice of a comrade calling to his friends. And with looks downcast they gathered near, and hard by where the ship lay he made them sit down in their grief and the women with them, and addressed them and told them everything:

"Listen, friends; as I lay in my grief, three goddesses girded with goat-skins from the neck downwards round the back and waist, like maidens, stood over my head nigh at hand; and they uncovered me, drawing my cloak away with light hand, and they bade me rise up myself and go and rouse you, and pay to our mother a bounteous recompense for all her travail when she bare us so long in her womb, when Amphitrite shall have loosed Poseidon's swift-wheeled car. But I cannot fully understand concerning this divine message. They said indeed that they were heroines, Libya's warders land daughters; and all the toils that we endured aforetime by land and sea, all these they declared that they knew full well. Then I saw them no more in their place, but a mist or cloud came between and hid them from my sight."

Thus he spake, and all marvelled as they heard. Then was wrought for the Minyae the strangest of portents. From the sea to the land leapt forth a monstrous horse, of vast size, with golden mane tossing round his neck; and quickly from his limbs he shook off abundant spray and started on his course, with feet like the wind. And at once Peleus rejoiced and spake among the throng of his comrades:

"I deem that Poseidon's car has even now been loosed by the hands of his dear wife, and I divine that our mother is none else than our ship herself; for surely she bare us in her womb and groans unceasingly with grievous travailing. But with unshaken strength and untiring shoulders will we lift her up and bear her within this country of sandy wastes, where yon swift-footed steed has sped before. For he will not plunge beneath the earth; and his hoof-prints, I ween, will point us to some bay above the sea."

Thus he spake, and the fit counsel pleased all. This is the tale the Muses told; and I sing obedient to the Pierides, and this report have I heard most truly; that ye, O mightiest far of the sons of kings, by your might and your valour over the desert sands of Libya raised high aloft on your shoulders the ship and all that ye brought therein, and bare her twelve days and nights alike. Yet who could tell the pain and grief which they endured in that toil? Surely they were of the blood of the immortals, such a task did they take on them, constrained by necessity. How forward and how far they bore her gladly to the waters of the Tritonian lake! How they strode in and set her down from their stalwart shoulders!

Then, like raging hounds, they rushed to search for a spring; for besides their suffering and anguish, a parching thirst lay upon them, and not in vain did they wander; but they came to the sacred plain where Ladon, the serpent of the land, till yesterday kept watch over the golden apples in the garden of Atlas; and all around the nymphs, the Hesperides, were busied, chanting their lovely song. But at that time, stricken by Heracles, he lay fallen by the trunk of the apple-tree; only the tip of his tail was still writhing; but from his head down his dark spine he lay lifeless; and where the arrows had left in his blood the bitter gall of the Lernaean hydra, flies withered and died over the festering wounds And close at hand the Hesperides, their white arms flung over their golden heads, lamented shrilly; and the heroes drew near suddenly; but the maidens, at their quick approach, at once became dust and earth where they stood. Orpheus marked the divine portent, and for his comrades addressed them in prayer: "O divine ones, fair and kind, be gracious, O queens, whether ye be numbered among the heavenly goddesses, or those beneath the earth, or be called the Solitary nymphs; come, O nymphs, sacred race of Oceanus, appear manifest to our longing eyes and show us some spring of water from the rock or some sacred flow gushing from the earth, goddesses, wherewith we may quench the thirst that burns us unceasingly. And if ever again we return in our voyaging to the Achaean land, then to you among the first of goddesses with willing hearts will we bring countless gifts, libations and banquets."

So he spake, beseeching them with plaintive voice; and they from their station near pitied their pain; and lo! first of all they caused grass to spring from the earth; and above the grass rose up tall shoots; and then flourishing saplings grew standing upright far above the earth. Hespere became a poplar and Eretheis an elm, and Aegle a willow's sacred trunk. And forth from these trees their forms looked out, as clear as they were before, a marvel exceeding great, and Aegle spake with gentle words answering their longing looks:

"Surely there has come hither a mighty succour to your toils, that most accursed man, who robbed our guardian serpent of life and plucked the golden apples of the goddesses and is gone; and has left bitter grief for us. For yesterday came a man most fell in wanton violence, most grim in form; and his eyes flashed beneath his scowling brow; a ruthless wretch; and he was clad in the skin of a monstrous lion of raw hide, untanned; and he bare a sturdy bow of olive, and a bow, wherewith he shot and killed this monster here. So he too came, as one traversing the land on foot, parched with thirst; and he rushed wildly through this spot, searching for water, but nowhere was he like to see it. Now here stood a rock near the Tritonian lake; and of his own device, or by the prompting of some god, he smote it below with his foot; and the water gushed out in full flow. And he, leaning both his hands and chest upon the ground, drank a huge draught from the rifted rock, until, stooping like a beast of the field, he had satisfied his mighty maw."

Thus she spake; and they gladly with joyful steps ran to the spot where Aegle had pointed out to them the spring, until they reached it. And as when earth-burrowing ants gather in swarms round a narrow cleft, or when flies lighting upon a tiny drop of sweet honey cluster round with insatiate eagerness; so at that time, huddled together, the Minyae thronged about the spring from the rock. And thus with wet lips one cried to another in his delight:

"Strange! In very truth Heracles, though far away, has saved his comrades, fordone with thirst. Would that we might find him on his way as we pass through the mainland!"

So they spake, and those who were ready for this work answered, and they separated this way and that, each starting to search. For by the night winds the footsteps had been effaced where the sand was stirred. The two sons of Boreas started up, trusting in their wings; and Euphemus, relying on his swift feet, and Lynceus to cast far his piercing eyes; and with them darted off Canthus, the fifth. He was urged on by the doom of the gods and his own courage, that he might learn for certain from Heracles where he had left Polyphemus, son of Eilatus; for he was minded to question him on every point concerning his comrade. But that hero had founded a glorious city among the Mysians, and, yearning for his home-return, had passed far over the mainland in search of Argo; and in time he reached the land of the Chalybes, who dwell near the sea; there it was that his fete subdued him. And to him a monument stands under a tall poplar, just facing the sea. But that day Lynceus thought he saw Heracles all alone, far off, over measureless land, as a man at the month's beginning sees, or thinks he sees, the moon through a bank of cloud. And he returned and told his comrades that no other searcher would find Heracles on his way, and they also came back, and swift-footed Euphemus and the twin sons of Thracian Boreas, after a vain toil.

But thee, Canthus, the fates of death seized in Libya. On pasturing flocks didst thou light; and there followed a shepherd who, in defence of his own sheep, while thou wert leading them off[1] to thy comrades in their need, slew thee by the cast of a stone; for he was no weakling, Caphaurus, the grandson of Lycoreian Phoebus and the chaste maiden Acacallis, whom once Minos drove from home to dwell in Libya, his own daughter, when she was bearing the gods' heavy load; and she bare to Phoebus a glorious son, whom they call Amphithemis and Garamas. And Amphithemis wedded a Tritonian nymph; and she bare to him Nasamon and strong Caphaurus, who on that day in defending his sheep slew Canthus. But he escaped not the chieftains' avenging hands, when they learned the deed he had done. And the Minyae, when they knew it, afterwards took up the corpse and buried it in the earth, mourning; and the sheep they took with them.

[Footnote 1: This seems to be the only possible translation, but the optative is quite anomalous. We should expect [Greek: ekomizes].]

Thereupon on the same day a pitiless fate seized Mopsus too, son of Ampycus; and he escaped not a bitter doom by his prophesying; for there is no averting of death. Now there lay in the sand, avoiding the midday heat, a dread serpent, too sluggish of his own will to strike at an unwilling foe, nor yet would he dart full face at one that would shrink back. But into whatever of all living beings that life-giving earth sustains that serpent once injects his black venom, his path to Hades becomes not so much as a cubit's length, not even if Paeëon, if it is right for me to say this openly, should tend him, when its teeth have only grazed the skin. For when over Libya flew godlike Perseus Eurymedon—for by that name his mother called him—bearing to the king the Gorgon's head newly severed, all the drops of dark blood that fell to the earth, produced a brood of those serpents. Now Mopsus stepped on the end of its spine, setting thereon the sole of his left foot; and it writhed round in pain and bit and tore the flesh between the shin and the muscles. And Medea and her handmaids fled in terror; but Canthus bravely felt the bleeding wound; for no excessive pain harassed him. Poor wretch! Already a numbness that loosed his limbs was stealing beneath his skin, and a thick mist was spreading over his eyes. Straightway his heavy limbs sank helplessly to the ground and he grew cold; and his comrades and the hero, Aeson's son, gathered round, marvelling at the close-coming doom. Nor yet though dead might he lie beneath the sun even for a little space. For at once the poison began to rot his flesh within, and the hair decayed and fell from the skin. And quickly and in haste they dug a deep grave with mattocks of bronze; and they tore their hair, the heroes and the maidens, bewailing the dead man's piteous suffering; and when he had received due burial rites, thrice they marched round the tomb in full armour, and heaped above him a mound of earth.

But when they had gone aboard, as the south wind blew over the sea, and they were searching for a passage to go forth from the Tritonian lake, for long they had no device, but all the day were borne on aimlessly. And as a serpent goes writhing along his crooked path when the sun's fiercest rays scorch him; and with a hiss he turns his head to this side and that, and in his fury his eyes glow like sparks of fire, until he creeps to his lair through a cleft in the rock; so Argo seeking an outlet from the lake, a fairway for ships, wandered for a long time. Then straightway Orpheus bade them bring forth from the ship Apollo's massy tripod and offer it to the gods of the land as propitiation for their return. So they went forth and set Apollo's gift on the shore; then before them stood, in the form of a youth, far-swaying Triton, and he lifted a clod from the earth and offered it as a stranger's gift, and thus spake:

"Take it, friends, for no stranger's gift of great worth have I here by me now to place in the hands of those who beseech me. But if ye are searching for a passage through this sea, as often is the need of men passing through a strange land, I will declare it. For my sire Poseidon has made me to be well versed in this sea. And I rule the shore—if haply in your distant land you have ever heard of Eurypylus, born in Libya, the home of wild beasts."

Thus he spake, and readily Euphemus held out his hands towards the clod, and thus addressed him in reply:

"If haply, hero, thou knowest aught of Apis[1] and the sea of Minos, tell us truly, who ask it of you. For not of our will have we come hither, but by the stress of heavy storms have we touched the borders of this land, and have borne our ship aloft on our shoulders to the waters of this lake over the mainland, grievously burdened; and we know not where a passage shows itself for our course to the land of Pelops."

[Footnote 1: An old name of the Peloponnesus.]

So he spake; and Triton stretched out his hand and showed afar the sea and the lake's deep mouth, and then addressed them: "That is the outlet to the sea, where the deep water lies unmoved and dark; on each side roll white breakers with shining crests; and the way between for your passage out is narrow. And that sea stretches away in mist to the divine land of Pelops beyond Crete; but hold to the right, when ye have entered the swell of the sea from the lake, and steer your course hugging the land, as long as it trends to the north; but when the coast bends, falling away in the other direction, then your course is safely laid for you if ye go straight forward from the projecting cape. But go in joy, and as for labour let there be no grieving that limbs in youthful vigour should still toil."

He spake with kindly counsel; and they at once went aboard, intent to come forth from the lake by the use of oars. And eagerly they sped on; meanwhile Triton took up the mighty tripod, and they saw him enter the lake; but thereafter did no one mark how he vanished so near them along with the tripod. But their hearts were cheered, for that one of the blessed had met them in friendly guise. And they bade Aeson's son offer to him the choicest of the sheep and when he had slain it chant the hymn of praise. And straightway he chose in haste and raising the victim slew it over the stern, and prayed with these words:

"Thou god, who hast manifested thyself on the borders of this land, whether the daughters born of the sea call thee Triton, the great sea-marvel, or Phorcys, or Nereus, be gracious, and grant the return home dear to our hearts."

He spake, and cut the victim's throat over the water and cast it from the stern. And the god rose up from the depths in form such as he really was. And as when a man trains a swift steed for the broad race-course, and runs along, grasping the bushy mane, while the steed follows obeying his master, and rears his neck aloft in his pride, and the gleaming bit rings loud as he champs it in his jaws from side to side; so the god, seizing hollow Argo's keel, guided her onward to the sea. And his body, from the crown of his head, round his back and waist as far as the belly, was wondrously like that of the blessed ones in form; but below his sides the tail of a sea monster lengthened far, forking to this side and that; and he smote the surface of the waves with the spines, which below parted into curving fins, like the horns of the new moon. And he guided Argo on until he sped her into the sea on her course; and quickly he plunged into the vast abyss; and the heroes shouted when they gazed with their eyes on that dread portent. There is the harbour of Argo and there are the signs of her stay, and altars to Poseidon and Triton; for during that day they tarried. But at dawn with sails outspread they sped on before the breath of the west wind, keeping the desert land on their right. And on the next morn they saw the headland and the recess of the sea, bending inward beyond the jutting headland. And straightway the west wind ceased, and there came the breeze of the clear south wind: and their hearts rejoiced at the sound it made. But when the sun sank and the star returned that bids the shepherd fold, which brings rest to wearied ploughmen, at that time the wind died down in the dark night; so they furled the sails and lowered the tall mast and vigorously plied their polished oars all night and through the day, and again when the next night came on. And rugged Carpathus far away welcomed them; and thence they were to cross to Crete, which rises in the sea above other islands.

And Talos, the man of bronze, as he broke off rocks from the hard cliff, stayed them from fastening hawsers to the shore, when they came to the road-stead of Dicte's haven. He was of the stock of bronze, of the men sprung from ash-trees, the last left among the sons of the gods; and the son of Cronos gave him to Europa to be the warder of Crete and to stride round the island thrice a day with his feet of bronze. Now in all the rest of his body and limbs was he fashioned of bronze and invulnerable; but beneath the sinew by his ankle was a blood-red vein; and this, with its issues of life and death, was covered by a thin skin. So the heroes, though outworn with toil, quickly backed their ship from the land in sore dismay. And now far from Crete would they have been borne in wretched plight, distressed both by thirst and pain, had not Medea addressed them as they turned away:

"Hearken to me. For I deem that I alone can subdue for you that man, whoever he be, even though his frame be of bronze throughout, unless his life too is everlasting. But be ready to keep your ship here beyond the cast of his stones, till he yield the victory to me."

Thus she spake; and they drew the ship out of range, resting on their oars, waiting to see what plan unlooked for she would bring to pass; and she, holding the fold of her purple robe over her cheeks on each side, mounted on the deck; and Aeson's son took her hand in his and guided her way along the thwarts. And with songs did she propitiate and invoke the Death-spirits, devourers of life, the swift hounds of Hades, who, hovering through all the air, swoop down on the living. Kneeling in supplication, thrice she called on them with songs, and thrice with prayers; and, shaping her soul to mischief, with her hostile glance she bewitched the eyes of Talos, the man of bronze; and her teeth gnashed bitter wrath against him, and she sent forth baneful phantoms in the frenzy of her rage.

Father Zeus, surely great wonder rises in my mind, seeing that dire destruction meets us not from disease and wounds alone, but lo! even from afar, may be, it tortures us! So Talos, for all his frame of bronze, yielded the victory to the might of Medea the sorceress. And as he was heaving massy rocks to stay them from reaching the haven, he grazed his ankle on a pointed crag; and the ichor gushed forth like melted lead; and not long thereafter did he stand towering on the jutting cliff. But even as some huge pine, high up on the mountains, which woodmen have left half hewn through by their sharp axes when they returned from the forest—at first it shivers in the wind by night, then at last snaps at the stump and crashes down; so Talos for a while stood on his tireless feet, swaying to and fro, then at last, all strengthless, fell with a mighty thud. For that night there in Crete the heroes lay; then, just as dawn was growing bright, they built a shrine to Minoan Athena, and drew water and went aboard, so that first of all they might by rowing pass beyond Salmone's height.

But straightway as they sped over the wide Cretan sea night scared them, that night which they name the Pall of Darkness; the stars pierced not that fatal night nor the beams of the moon, but black chaos descended from heaven, or haply some other darkness came, rising from the nethermost depths. And the heroes, whether they drifted in Hades or on the waters, knew not one whit; but they committed their return to the sea in helpless doubt whither it was bearing them. But Jason raised his hands and cried to Phoebus with mighty voice, calling on him to save them; and the tears ran down in his distress; and often did he promise to bring countless offerings to Pytho, to Amyclae, and to Ortygia. And quickly, O son of Leto, swift to hear, didst thou come down from heaven to the Melantian rocks, which lie there in the sea. Then darting upon one of the twin peaks, thou raisedst aloft in thy right hand thy golden bow; and the bow flashed a dazzling gleam all round. And to their sight appeared a small island of the Sporades, over against the tiny isle Hippuris, and there they cast anchor and stayed; and straightway dawn arose and gave them light; and they made for Apollo a glorious abode in a shady wood, and a shady altar, calling on Phoebus the "Gleamer," because of the gleam far-seen; and that bare island they called Anaphe,[1] for that Phoebus had revealed it to men sore bewildered. And they sacrificed all that men could provide for sacrifice on a desolate strand; wherefore when Medea's Phaeacian handmaids saw them pouring water for libations on the burning brands, they could no longer restrain laughter within their bosoms, for that ever they had seen oxen in plenty slain in the halls of Alcinous. And the heroes delighted in the jest and attacked them with taunting words; and merry railing and contention flung to and fro were kindled among them. And from that sport of the heroes such scoffs do the women fling at the men in that island whenever they propitiate with sacrifices Apollo the gleaming god, the warder of Anaphe.

[Footnote 1: i.e. the isle of Revealing.]

But when they had loosed the hawsers thence in fair weather, then Euphemus bethought him of a dream of the night, reverencing the glorious son of Maia. For it seemed to him that the god-given clod of earth held in his palm close to his breast was being suckled by white streams of milk, and that from it, little though it was, grew a woman like a virgin; and he, overcome by strong desire, lay with her in love's embrace; and united with her he pitied her, as though she were a maiden whom he was feeding with his own milk; but she comforted him with gentle words:

"Daughter of Triton am I, dear friend, and nurse of thy children, no maiden; Triton and Libya are my parents. But restore me to the daughters of Nereus to dwell in the sea near Anaphe; I shall return again to the light of the sun, to prepare a home for thy descendants."

Of this he stored in his heart the memory, and declared it to Aeson's son; and Jason pondered a prophecy of the Far-Darter and lifted up his voice and said:

"My friend, great and glorious renown has fallen to thy lot. For of this clod when thou hast cast it into the sea, the gods will make an island, where thy children's children shall dwell; for Triton gave this to thee as a stranger's gift from the Libyan mainland. None other of the immortals it was than he that gave thee this when he met thee."

Thus he spake; and Euphemus made not vain the answer of Aeson's son; but, cheered by the prophecy, he cast the clod into the depths. Therefrom rose up an island, Calliste, sacred nurse of the sons of Euphemus, who in former days dwelt in Sintian Lemnos, and from Lemnos were driven forth by Tyrrhenians and came to Sparta as suppliants; and when they left Sparta, Theras, the goodly son of Autesion, brought them to the island Calliste, and from himself he gave it the name of Thera. But this befell after the days of Euphemus.

And thence they steadily left behind long leagues of sea and stayed on the beach of Aegina; and at once they contended in innocent strife about the fetching of water, who first should draw it and reach the ship. For both their need and the ceaseless breeze urged them on. There even to this day do the youths of the Myrmidons take up on their shoulders full-brimming jars, and with swift feet strive for victory in the race.

Be gracious, race of blessed chieftains! And may these songs year after year be sweeter to sing among men. For now have I come to the glorious end of your toils; for no adventure befell you as ye came home from Aegina, and no tempest of winds opposed you; but quietly did ye skirt the Cecropian land and Aulis inside of Euboea and the Opuntian cities of the Locrians, and gladly did ye step forth upon the beach of Pagasae.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:01 pm

STEMMA MEDEAE

Oceanus == Tethys
| |
Helios == Perse |
——-+—————————————— |
| | | |
Minos == Pasiphae Circe (1)Asterodeia = Aeetes = Eidyia (2)
| |
Ariadne ————————-+—————-
| | |
Apsyrtus Chalciope = Phrixus Medea =Jason
(Phaëthon) |
———————+——————-
| | | |
Argus Cytissorus Melas Phrontis
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:02 pm

INDEX

References to the following names are not given in full on account of their large number: Aeetes, Aesonides, Colchians, Hellas, Jason, Medea, Zeus.

Abantes, a people of Epirus, iv, 1214

Abantiades, son of Abas, (1) Canethus, I, 78: (2) Idmon, II, 815, 824, 857

Abantian, epithet of the island Euboea, IV, 1135

Abarnis, a city of the Troad, I, 932

Abas, reputed father of Idmon, I, 142

Abydos, a city of the Troad, I, 931

Acacallis, a daughter of Minos, IV, 1491

Acastus, son of Pelias, an Argonaut, I, 224, 321, 1041, 1082

Achaean, I, 177:
put for Greek in general, I, 284; III, 601, 639, 775, 1081; IV, 195,
1226, 1329, 1419
Acheloïdes, daughters of Achelous, the Sirens, IV, 893

Achelous, a river of Aetolia, IV, 293, 895

Acheron, (1) a river of Hades, I, 644: (2) a river of Bithynia, II, 355, 743, 901

Acherusian headland, II, 354, 728, 750, 806, 814

Achilles, son of Peleus, I, 558; IV, 868

Acmonian wood, near the river Thermodon, II, 992

Actor, I, 69

Actorides, son of Actor, (1) Irus, I, 72: (2) Sthenelus, II, 911, 916

Admetus king of Pherae, I, 49

Adrasteia, (1) a city and plain of Mysia I, 1116:
(2) a nymph, the nurse of Zeus, III, 133
Aea, a city of Colchis, II, 417, 422, 1094, 1141, 1183, 1267; III, 306,
1061; IV, 131, 255, 277, 278
Aeacides, son of Aeacus, (1) Peleus, an Argonaut, II, 869, 886; III 515; IV, 503, 853: (2) Telamon, an Argonaut, I, 1301, 1330; III, 382: in the plur., of both I 90; II, 122

Aeacus, a son of Zeus, III, 364

Aeaean, (1) of Aea, III, 1074, 1093, 1136; IV, 243: (2) of a district in Tyrrhenia, IV, 559, 850: as subst., IV, 661

Aeetes, king of the Colchians, I, 175, 245 etc.; II, 403, 459 etc.; III, 13, 27, etc.; IV, 9, 102 etc.

Aegaean sea, I, 831; IV, 772

Aegaeon, a giant, I, 1165

Aegaeus, a river, iv, 542, 1149

Aegialus, (1) coast in Achaea, 178: (2) coast of the Euxine, II, 365, 945

Aegina, an island near Attica, I, 92; IV, 1766, 1777

Aegle, one of the Hesperides, iv, 1428, 1430, 1450

Aeneius, adj., of Aeneus. I, 948, 1055

Aenete, I, 950

Aeolides, son or descendant of Aeolus. (1) Athamas, III, 361: (2) Idmon, an Argonaut, 11, 849: (3) Melampus, I,121: (4) Minyas, III, 1094: (5) Phrixus, II, 1141; III, 584; IV, 119: in the plur., I, 143; II, 1195; III, 335, 339

Aeolus, (1) a son of Zeus, father of Cretheus and Athamas, III, 360: (2) king of the winds, iv, 764, 765, 778, 820

Aesepus, a river of Mysia, I, 940, 1115

Aeson, son of Cretheus and father of Jason, I, 47, 253, 331, 899, 1336;
II, 410, 885, 1134; III, 357, 443, 1380
Aesonides, son of Aeson, Jason, I, 33, 46, etc.; II, 437, 444, etc.;
III, 58, 60 etc.; IV, 73, 92, etc.
Aesonis, a city of Magnesia, I, 411

Aethalia, an island, now Elba, IV, 654

Aethalides, son of Hermes, an Argonaut, I, 54, 641, 649; III, 1175

Aetolian, I, 146; in plur. as subst., I, 198

Agamestor, II, 850

Agenor, II, 237

Agenorides, son of Agenor, Phineus, II, 178, 240, 293, 426, 490, 618;
III, 943, 1186
Alcimede, mother of Jason, I, 47, 233, 251, 259, 277

Alcinous, king of the Phaeacians, IV, 769, 995, 1009, 1013, 1069, 1116, 1123, 1161, 1169, 1176, 1200, 1220, 1724

Alcon, I, 97

Aleus, I, 163, 166, 170; II, 1046

Aloïades, sons of Aloeus, I, 482, 489

Alope, a city of Thessaly, I, 51

Amarantes, a people of Colchis, II, 399

Amarantian, epithet of the river Phasis, III, 1220

Amazonian, II, 977

Amazons, II, 374, 386, 912, 965, 985, 987, 995, 1173

Ambracians, inhabitants of Ambracia, a city of Epirus, IV, 1228

Amnisus, a river of Crete, III, 877, 882

Amphidamas, an Argonaut, I, 161; II, 1046

Amphion, (1) an Argonaut, I, 176:
(2) son of Zeus and Antiope, I, 736, 740
Amphithemis, son of Phoebus and Acacallis, also called Garamas, IV,
1494, 1495
Amphitrite, wife of Poseidon, IV, 1325, 1355

Amphrysus, a river of Thessaly, I, 54

Ampycides, son of Ampycus, Mopsus, an Argonaut, I, 1083, 1106; II, 923;
III, 917, 926; IV, 1502
Amyclae, a city of Laconia, IV, 1704

Amycus, king of the Bebrycians, II, 1, 48, 51, 90, 110, 136, 303, 754, 768, 792

Amymone, daughter of Danaus, I, 137

Amyrus, a river of Thessaly, I, 596; IV, 617

Anaphe, an island, one of the Sporades, IV, 1717, 1730, 1744

Anaurus, a river of Thessaly, I, 9; III, 67

Ancaeus,(1) son of Lycurgus, an Argonaut, I, 161, 398, 426, 429, 531;
II, 118:
(2) son of Poseidon, an Argonaut, I, 188; II, 865, 894, 898, 1276; IV,
210, 1260
Anchiale, a nymph, I, 1130

Angurum, a mountain in Scythia, IV, 323, 324

Anthemoeisian lake, in Bithynia, II, 724

Anthemoessa, the island of the Sirens, in the Tyrrhenian sea, IV, 892

Antianeira, I, 56

Antiope, (1) daughter of Asopus, I, 735: (2) daughter of Nycteus, IV, 1090: (3) a queen of the Amazons, II, 387

Aonian, Boeotian, III, 1178, 1185

Aphareïan, of Aphareus, I 485; III, 556, 1252

Apharetiadae, sons of Aphareus, I, 151

Apheidantian allotment, in Arcadia, I, 162

Aphetae, starting-place of Argo, I, 591

Apidaneans, name of Arcadians, IV, 263

Apidanus, a river of Thessaly, I, 36, 38; II, 515

Apis, a name of the Peloponnese, IV, 1564

Apollo, I, 307, 360, 403, 410, 759, II, 493, 502, 927, 952; III, 1181, 1283; IV, 528, 612, 1548, 1714, 1729: god of the shore ([Greek: Aktios]), I,104: of disembarcation ([Greek: Ekbasios]), I, 966, 1186: of embarcation ([Greek: Embasios]), I, 359, 404: of the dawn ([Greek: Eôios]), II, 686, 700: of shepherds ([Greek: Nomios]), IV, 1218: the Healer ([Greek: Iêios]), II, 712: the gleaner ([Greek: Aiglêtês]), IV, 1716, 1730

Apsyrtians, IV, 481

Apsyrtus, son of Aeetes, III, 241, 604; IV, 225, 306, 314, 332, 399, 422, 451, 455, 515, 557, 587, 737

Araethyrea, a city of Argolis, I, 115

Araxis, a river of Armenia, IV, 133

Arcadia, I, 125, 161; II, 1052

Arcadians, IV, 263, 264

Arcton, "of bears," a mountain near Cyzicus, I, 941, 1150

Arcturus, II, 1099

Areius, son of Bias, an Argonaut, I, 118

Areïus, adj., of Ares, II, 1033, 1268; III, 325, 409, 495, 1270

Arene, a city of Messenia, I, 152, 471

Ares, I, 743; II, 385, 404, 989, 990, 991, 1169, 1205, 1230; III, 411, 754, 1187, 1227, 1282, 1357, 1366; IV, 166

Arestorides, son of Arestor, Argus, I, 112, 325

Arete, wife of Alcinous, IV, 1013, 1029, 1070, 1098, 1101, 1123, 1200,
Aretias, (1) daughter of Ares, Melanippe, II, 966:
(2) fem. adj. II, 1031, 1047; III, 1180
Aretus, a Bebrycian, II, 65, 114

Arganthonian mountain, in Bithynia, I, 1178

Argo, I, 4, 386, 525, 591, 633, 724, 953; II, 340; IV, 509, 592, 763, 993, 1473, 1546, 1609

Argoan, I, 319; II, 211; IV, 554, 658, 938, 1620

Argos, (1) a city of the Peloponnese, I, 125, 140, 1317:
(2) put for Greece in general, IV, 1074
Argus, (1) son of Arestor, an Argonaut, I, 19, 111, 226, 321, 325, 367,
912, 1119; II, 613, 1188:
(2) son of Phrixus, II, 1122, 1140, 1156, 1199, 1260, 1281; III, 318,
367, 440, 474, 521, 554, 568, 610, 722, 826, 902, 914, 944, 1200;
IV, 80, 122, 256
Ariadne, a daughter of Minos, III, 998, 1003, 1097, 1107

Aristaeus, son of Apollo and Cyrene, II, 506; IV, 1132

Artaceus, one of the Doliones, I, 1047

Artacie, a spring near Cyzicus, I, 957

Artemis, I, 312, 571, 1225; III, 774; IV, 330, 452, 470

Asia, i.e. Asia Minor, I, 444; II, 777; IV, 273

Asopis, daughter of Asopus, (1) Antiope, I, 735; (2) Corcyra, IV, 567

Asopus, (1) a river of the Peloponnese, I, 117; (2) father of Sinope, II, 947

Assyrian, II, 946, 964

Asterion, an Argonaut, I, 35

Asterius, an Argonaut, I, 176

Asterodeia, mother of Apsyrtus, III, 242

Astypalaea, mother of Ancaeus, II, 866

Atalanta, I, 769

Athamantian plain, in Thessaly, II, 514

Athamantis, daughter of Athamas, Helle, I, 927

Athamas, son of Aeolus, king of Orchomenus, II, 653, 1153, 1162; III, 266, 360, 361; IV, 117

Athena, I, 19, 110, 226, 300, 527, 551, 629, 768, 960; II, 537, 598, 602, 612, 1187; III, 8, 10, 17, 30, 91, 111, 340; IV, 583, 959, 1309, 1691

Athos, a mountain in Chalcidice, I, 601

Atlantis, daughter of Atlas, (1) Electra, I, 916: (2) Calypso, IV, 575

Atlas, IV, 1398

Attic island, Salamis, I, 93

Augeias, an Argonaut, I, 172; III, 197, 363, 440

Aulion, a cave in Bithynia, II, 910

Aulis, a city of Boeotia, IV, 1779

Ausonian, Italian, IV, 553, 590, 660, 828, 846

Autesion, IV, 1762

Autolycus, a son of Deimachus, II, 956

Bacchiadae, the ruling race in Corinth, IV, 1212

Basileus, one of the Doliones, I, 1043

Bebryces, a people of Bithynia, II, 2, 13, 70, 98, 121, 129, 758, 768, 792, 798

Bebrycia, II, 136

Becheiri, a people of Pontus, II, 394, 1242

Biantiades, son of Bias, Talaus, II, 63, 111

Bias, I, 118

Billaeus, a river of Bithynia, II, 791

Bistonian, Thracian, I, 34; II, 704; IV, 906

Bithynian, II, 4, 177, 619, 730: as subst. in plur., II, 347, 788

Boeotians, II, 846

Boreas, father of Zetes and Calais, I, 211, 212, 214, 1300; II, 234, 241, 273, 288, 308, 427, 440, 492; IV, 1464, 1484

Bosporus, I, 1114; II, 168

Brimo, a name of Hecate, III, 861, 862, 1211

Brygi, a people of Illyria, IV, 330, 470

Butes, an Argonaut, I, 95; IV, 914

Byzeres, a people of Pontus, II, 396, 1244

Cadmeians, Thebans, III, 1095

Cadmus, king of Thebes, III, 1179, 1186; IV, 517

Caeneides, son of Caineus, Coronus, I, 58

Caeneus, I, 59

Calais, an Argonaut, I, 211; II, 282

Calaureia, an island in the Saronic gulf, III, 1243

Callichorus, a river of Paphlagonia, II, 904, 909

Calliope, one of the Muses, I, 24

Calliste, an island in the Aegaean sea, IV, 1758, 1763

Calon, a mouth of the Ister, the Fair mouth, IV, 306, 313

Calos, a harbour of Cyzicus, the Fair haven, I, 954

Calpe, a river of Bithynia, II, 659

Calydon, a city of Aetolia, I, 190

Calypso, daughter of Atlas, IV, 574

Canastra, a headland in Chalcidice, I, 599

Canethus, I, 77

Canthus, an Argonaut, I, 77; IV, 1467, 1485, 1497

Caphaurus, a Libyan, IV, 1490, 1496

Carambis, a promontory in Paphlagonia, II, 361, 943; IV, 300

Carpathus, an island in the Aegaean sea, IV, 1636

Caspian, III, 859

Castor, I, 147; II, 62; IV, 589

Caucasus, a mountain, II, 1210, 1247, 1267; III, 242, 852, 1224, 1276;
IV, 135
Cauliacus, a rock near the river Ister, IV, 324

Cecropia, old name of Attica, I, 95, 214; IV, 1779

Celts, IV, 611, 635, 646

Centaurs, a fabulous savage race, I, 42, 60; IV, 812

Ceos, one of the Cyclades, II, 520, 526

Cepheus, an Argonaut, I, 161

Ceraunian, mountains, IV, 519, 576, 1214; sea, the Adriatic, IV, 983

Cerinthus, a city of Euboea, I, 79

Cerossus, an island off Illyria, IV, 573

Chadesians, a tribe of Amazons, II, 1000

Chalciope, daughter of Aeetes and sister of Medea, II, 1149; III, 248, 254, 270, 370, 449, 605, 667, 688, 718, 727, 776, 903, 1156; IV, 32

Chalcodonian mountain, in Thessaly, I, 50

Chalybes, a people of Pontus, I, 1323; II, 375, 1001; IV, 1475

Charites, the Graces, IV, 425

Charybdis, IV, 789, 825, 923

Cheiron, a Centaur, I, 33, 554; II, 510, 1240; IV, 812

Chersonesus, in Thrace, I, 925

Chytus, a harbour of Cyzicus, I, 987, 990

Cianian, I, 1177, as subst. in plur., I, 1354

Circaean plain, II, 400; III, 200

Circe, sister of Aeetes, III, 311; IV, 559, 587, 590, 662, 683, 691,
699, 752
Cius, (1) a city of Mysia, II, 767:
(2) a river of Mysia, I, 1178, 1321
Claros, a city of Ionia, I, 308

Cleite, (1) wife of Cyzicus, I, 976, 1063: (2) a fountain, called after her. I, 1069

Cleopatra, wife of Phineus, II, 239

Clymene, grandmother of Jason, I, 233

Clytius, an Argonaut, I, 86, 1044; II, 117, 1043

Clytonaeus, I, 134

Cnossus, a city of Crete, IV, 434

Coeogeneia, daughter of Coeus, Leto, II, 710

Colchian, I, 174; II, 417, 1095, 1277; III, 313; IV, 2, 33, 132, 484,
485, 689, 731:
as subst. in plur., I, 84, 175 etc.; II, 397, 1204 etc.; III,
203, 212, etc.; IV, 5, 212 etc.
Colone, a rock in Bithynia, II, 650, 789

Cometes, I, 35

Concord, a temple to, II, 718

Corcyra, (1) daughter of Asopus, IV, 568: (2) an island in the Adriatic sea, Black Corcyra, IV, 566, 571

Core, a name of Persephone, III, 847

Coronis, mother of Asclepius by Apollo, IV, 617

Coronus, an Argonaut, I, 57

Corycian, of Corycus, a mountain in Cilicia, II, 711; III, 855

Crataeis, a name of Hecate, IV, 829

Cretan, I, 1129; II, 1233; IV, 1694

Crete, II, 299; IV, 1578, 1637, 1644, 1651, 1689

Cretheïdes, son of Cretheus, Aeson, III, 357

Cretheus, brother of Athamas, II, 1162, 1163; III, 358, 360

Crobialus, a city of Paphlagonia, II, 942

Cromna, a city of Paphlagonia, II, 942

Cronian, IV, 327, 509, 548

Cronos, I, 505; II, 1232; IV, 986

Ctimene, a city of Thessaly, I, 68

Ctimenus, I, 67

Curetes, (1) in Crete, II, 1234: (2) in Aetolia, IV, 1229

Cyanean rocks, I, 3; II, 318, 770; IV, 304, 1003

Cyclopes, I, 510, 730

Cyllenus, one of the Idaean Dactyls, I, 1126

Cypris, a name of Aphrodite, I, 615, 803, 850, 860, 1233; II, 424; III, 3, 25, 37, 76, 80, 90, 127, 549, 559, 936, 942; IV, 918.

Cyrene, mother of Aristaeus II, 500

Cytaean, i.e. Colchian, II, 399, 403, 1094, 1267; III, 228; IV, 511

Cytherea, a name of Aphrodite, I, 742; III, 108, 553

Cytissorus, a son of Phrixus, II, 1155

Cytorus, a city of Paphlagonia, II, 942

Cyzicus, (1) king of the Doliones, I, 949, 962, 1056, 1076: (2) a city on a peninsula in the Propontis, II, 765

Dactyls, fabulous iron-workers on Mt. Ida, in Crete, I, 1129

Danae, IV, 1091

Danai, IV, 262

Danais, daughter of Danaus, I, 137

Danaus, I, 133

Dardania, I, 931

Dascylus (1) father of Lycus, II, 776: (2) son of Lycus, II, 803

Deileon, a son of Deimachus, II, 956

Deimachus, II, 955

Delos, I, 308

Delphyne, a dragon, II, 706

Deo, the goddess Demeter, III, 413; IV, 896, 986, 988

Deucalidae, descendants of Deucalion, IV, 266

Deucalion, son of Prometheus, III, 1087

Dia, an island in the Aegaean sea, IV, 425, 434

Dictaean, of Dicte, in Crete, I, 509, 1130; II, 434; IV, 1640

Dindymum, a mountain of Phrygia, I, 985, 1093, 1125, 1147

Dionysus, I, 116; IV, 424, 540

Dipsacus, II, 653

Dodonian oak, I, 527; IV, 583

Doeantian plain, II, 373, 988

Doliones, inhabitants of Cyzicus, I, 947, 952, 961, 1018, 1022, 1058

Dolionian, I, 1029, 1070; II, 765

Dolopian, I, 68, 585

Drepane, the island of the Phaeacians, later Corcyra, IV, 990, 1223

Dryopians, I, 1213, 1218

Dysceladus, an island in the Adriatic, IV, 565

Echetus, a mythical king of Epirus, IV, 1093

Echinades, islands at the mouth of the Acheloüs, IV, 1230

Echion, an Argonaut, I, 52

Egypt, IV. 268

Eidyia, wife of Aeetes, III, 243, 269

Eilatides, son of Eilatus, Polyphemus, I, 41, 1241, 1248, 1347; IV, 1470

Eileithyia, the goddess of birth, I, 289

Elare, mother of Tityos, I, 762

Eleans, I, 173

Electra, daughter of Atlas, I, 916

Electris, an island, IV, 505, 580

Electryon, I, 748

Elysian plain, IV, 811

Encheleans, a people of Illyria, IV, 518

Endymion, IV, 58

Eneteian, i.e. Paphlagonian, an epithet of Pelops, II, 358

Enipeus, a river of Thessaly, I, 38

Enyalius, a name of Ares, III, 322, 560, 1366

Ephyra, the old name of Corinth, IV, 1212

Erato, one of the Muses, III, 1

Erectheïdae, descendants of Erechtheus, the Athenians, I, 101

Erectheis, daughter of Erechtheus, Oreithyia, I, 212

Erginus, (1) son of Poseidon, an Argonaut, I, 187; II, 896: (2) a river of Thrace, I, 217

Eribotes, an Argonaut, I, 71, 78; II, 1039

Eridanus, the river Po, IV, 506, 596, 610, 623, 628

Erinys, a Fury, II, 220; III, 704, 776; IV, 476, 1042:
in the plur., III, 712; IV, 386, 714
Eros, son of Aphrodite, III, 120, 275, 297, 972, 1018, 1078; IV, 445:
in the plural, "the Loves," III, 452, 687, 765, 937
Erymanthian marsh, I, 127

Erytheis, one of the Hesperides, IV, 1427

Erythini, a town in Paphlagonia, II, 941

Erytus, an Argonaut, I, 52

Eryx, a mountain in Sicily, IV, 917

Etesian winds, II, 498, 525

Ethiopians, III, 1192

Euboea, an island, I, 77; IV, 1135, 1780

Euphemus, an Argonaut, I 179; II, 536, 556, 562, 588, 896; IV, 1466, 1483, 1563, 1732 1756, 1758, 1764

Eupolemeia, I, 55

Europa, (1) daughter of Tityos, I, 181: (2) daughter of Agenor, III, 1179; IV, 1643: (3) a division of the earth, IV, 273

Eurydamas, an Argonaut, I, 67

Eurymedon, a name of Perseus IV, 1514

Eurymenae, a city of Thessaly, I, 597

Eurynome, I, 503

Eurypylus, IV, 1561

Eurystheus, I, 130, 1317, 1347

Eurytides, son of Eurytus, Clytius, II, 1043

Eurytion, son of Teleon, an Argonaut, I, 71

Eurytus, I, 87, 88; II, 114

Eusorus, I, 949

Gaea, the earth-goddess, I, 762; II, 39, 1209, 1273; III, 699, 716

Ganymedes, III, 115

Garamas, also called Amphithemis, which see, IV, 1494

Genetaean headland, in Pontus, II, 378, 1009

Gephyrus, one of the Doliones, I, 1042

Geraestus, a promontory of Euboea, III, 1244

Glaucus, I, 1310; II, 767

Gorgon, IV, 1515

Graucenii, a people near the Ister, IV, 321

Gyrton, a city of Thessaly, I, 57

Hades, (1) god of the under world, II, 353, 609, 642, 735; III, 704,
810; IV, 1666:
(2) the under world, IV, 1699
Haemonia, a name of Thessaly, II, 504, 690; III, 1090, 1244; IV, 1000,
Haemonians, II, 507; IV, 1075

Hagniades, son of Hagnias, Tiphys, I, 105, 560, 1296; II, 557, 854

Halys, a river of Paphlagonia, II, 366, 953, 963; IV, 245

Harmonia (1) a nymph, mother of the Amazons, II, 990: (2) wife of Cadmus, IV, 517

Harpies, II, 188, 223, 252, 264, 289, 298, 461

Hecate, III, 251, 478, 529, 738, 842, 915, 985, 1035, 1211; IV, 247, 829

Heliades, daughters of Helios, IV, 604, 625

Helice, the great Bear, II, 360; III, 745, 1195

Helios, the Sun-god, I, 172; II, 1204; III, 233, 309, 362, 598, 999; IV,
221, 229, 591, 598, 727, 965, 971, 1019
Hellas, I, 336, 416, etc.; II, 414, 459, etc.; III, 13, 29, etc.; IV,
98, 204, etc.
Helle, sister of Phrixus, I, 256

Hellespont, I, 935

Hephaestus, I, 203, 851; III, 40, 136, 223, 229; IV, 761, 775, 818, 929,
Hera, I, 14, 187, 859, 997; II, 216, 865; III, 8, 10, 19, 23, 32, 55,
77, 83, 91, 106, 210, 214, 250, 818, 931, 1134; IV, 11, 21, 242,
510, 577, 640, 646, 774, 781, 846, 858, 1137, 1152, 1185, 1199:
goddess of marriage ([Greek: Zugiê]), IV, 96
Heracles, I, 122, 197, 341, 349, 397, 426, 531, 855, 864, 993, 997,
1040, 1163, 1242, 1253, 1291, 1303, 1316; II, 146, 767, 772, 793,
913, 957, 967, 1052; III, 1233; IV, 538, 1400, 1459, 1469, 1477
Hercynian rock, IV, 640

Hermes, I, 51, 642; II, 1145; III, 197, 588, 1175; IV, 121 1137

Hespere, one of the Hesperides, IV, 1427

Hesperides, IV, 1399, 1406

Hippodameia, I, 754

Hippolyte, a queen of the Amazons, II, 779, 968, 999

Hippotades, son of Hippotas, Aeolus, IV, 819

Hippotas, IV, 778

Hippuris, an island in the Aegaean sea, IV, 1712

Homole, a mountain of Thessaly, I, 594

Hyacinthus, one of the Doliones, I 1044

Hyantian, Boeotian, III, 1242

Hylas, I, 131, 1207, 1258, 1324, 1350, 1354

Hyllean, IV, 535, 562, 1125: as subst. in plur., IV, 524, 527

Hyllus, a son of Heracles, IV, 538, 543

Hyperasius, I, 176

Hyperboreans, II, 675; IV, 614

Hypius, a river of Bithynia, II, 795

Hypnos, the god of sleep, IV, 146

Hypsipyle, queen of Lemnos, I, 621, 637, 650, 654, 675, 699, 713, 718, 786, 836, 848, 853, 873, 886, 897, 900; III, 1206; IV, 423, 426

Iapetionides, son of Iapetus, Prometheus, III, 1087

Iapetus, III, 866

Idaean (1) of Mt. Ida, in the Troad, I, 930:
(2) of Mt. Ida, in Crete, I, 1128, 1129; II, 1234; III, 134
Idas, son of Aphareus, an Argonaut, I, 151, 462, 470, 485, 1044; II,
830; III, 516, 556, 1170, 1252
Idmon, son of Apollo, an Argonaut, I, 139, 436, 449, 475; II, 816, 850

Ilissus, a river of Attica, I, 215

Illyrian, IV, 516

Imbrasian, of Imbrasus, a river of the island Samos, I, 187; II, 866

Imbros, an island in the Aegaean sea, I, 924

Indians, II, 906

Iolcus, a city of Thessaly, I, 572, 906; III, 2, 89, 1091, 1109, 1114,
1135; IV, 1163
Ionian, IV, 289, 308, 632, 982:
as subst. in plur., I, 959, 1076
Iphias, a priestess of Artemis, I, 312

Iphiclus (1) uncle of Jason, I, 45, 121: (2) son of Thestius, an Argonaut, I, 201

Iphinoe, a woman of Lemnos, I, 702, 703, 709, 788

Iphitus, (1) son of Eurytus, an Argonaut, I, 86; II, 115:
(2) son of Naubolus, an Argonaut, I, 207
Iris, (1) a goddess, messenger of Hera, II, 286, 298, 432; IV, 753,
757, 770:
(2) a river of Pontus, II, 367, 963
Irus, I, 72, 74

Ismenus, a river of Boeotia, I, 537

Issa, an island in the Adriatic, IV, 565

Ister, a river of Thrace, the Danube, IV, 284, 302, 309, 325

Isthmian, of the isthmus of Corinth, III, 1240

Itonian, epithet of Athena, I, 551

Itymoneus, (1) one of the Doliones, I, 1046: (2) a Bebrycian, II, 105

Ixion, III, 62

Jason, I, 8, 232, etc.; II, 122, 211, etc.; III, 66, 143, etc.; IV, 63, 79, etc.

Jasonian, I, 960, 988, 1148

Keres, spirits of death, I, 690; IV, 1485, 1665

Lacereia, a city of Thessaly, IV, 616

Ladon, the dragon of the Hesperides, IV, 1396

Lampeia, a district in Arcadia, I, 127

Lampetia, a daughter of Helios, IV, 973

Laocoon, an Argonaut, I, 191, 192

Lapithae, a people of Thessaly, I, 41, 42

Larisa, a city of Thessaly, I, 40

Latmian cave, in Caria, IV, 57

Laurium, a plain near the river Ister, IV, 321, 326

Leda, mother of Castor and Polydeuces, I, 146

Lemnian, I, 653; II, 32, 764; III, 1206

Lemnos, an island in the Aegaean sea, I, 602, 608, 852, 868, 873; IV, 1759, 1760

Leodocus, an Argonaut, I, 119

Lerna, a lake in Argolis, III, 1241

Lernaean hydra, IV, 1404

Lernus, (1) son of Proetus, I, 135: (2) father of Palaemonius, I, 202, 203

Leto, mother of Apollo and Artemis, II, 213, 257, 674, 710

Letoïdes, son of Leto, Apollo, I, 66, 144, 439, 484; II, 181, 698, 771;
IV, 612, 1706
Letoïs, daughter of Leto, Artemis, II, 938; III, 878; IV, 346

Liburnian islands, in the Adriatic, IV, 564

Libya (1) I, 81, 83; II, 505; IV, 1227, 1309, 1313, 1323, 1358, 1384,
1485, 1492, 1513, 1561:
(2) a nymph, IV, 1742
Libyan, IV, 1233, 1753

Ligystian or Ligurian islands, IV, 553

Ligyans, IV, 647

Lilybean promontory, in Sicily, IV, 919

Locrians, IV, 1780

Lycaon, a king of Arcadia, II, 521

Lycastians, a tribe of Amazons, II, 999

Lycia, I, 309; II, 674

Lycoreian, an epithet of Phoebus, IV, 1490

Lycoreus, a servant of Amycus, II, 51

Lycurgus, son of Aleus, I, 164; II, 118

Lycus (1) king of the Mariandyni, II, 139, 752, 759, 813, 839; IV, 298: (2) a river of Bithynia, II, 724: (3) a river of Armenia, IV, 132

Lynceus, son of Aphareus, an Argonaut, I, 151, 153; IV, 1466, 1478

Lyra, II, 829

Lyrceian, epithet of the city Argos, I, 125

Macrians, a people near Cyzicus, I, 1025, 1112

Macris, (1) the island of the Phaeacians, also called Drepane, later
Corcyra, IV, 540, 990, 1175:
(2) daughter of Aristaeus, IV, 1131
Macrones, a people of Pontus, II, 394, 1242

Maenalus, a mountain in Arcadia, I, 168, 770

Magnesia, a district in Thessaly, I, 238, 584

Maia, the mother of Hermes, IV, 1733

Mariandyni, a people of Bithynia, II, 140, 352, 723, 748, 753

Medea, daughter of Aeetes, III, 3, 248, etc.; IV, 213, 243, etc.

Megabrontes, one of the Doliones, I, 1041

Megalossaces, one of the Doliones, I, 1045

Megarians, II, 747

Melaena (1) a promontory in Bithynia, II, 349, 651: (2) an island, Black Corcyra, IV, 571

Melampus, I, 121

Melanippe, an Amazon, II, 966

Melantian rocks, in the Aegaean sea, IV, 1707

Melas, (1) a son of Phrixus, II, 1156: (2) a sea near Thrace, I, 922

Meleagrus, son of Oeneus, an Argonaut, I, 191

Meliboea, a city of Magnesia, I, 592

Melie, a nymph, mother of Amycus, II, 4

Melite (1) a nymph, mother of Hyllus, IV, 538, 543: (2) an island in the Adriatic, IV, 572

Meliteian mountain, in Corcyra, IV, 1150

Mene, the moon, IV, 55

Meneteis, daughter of Menetes, Antianeira, I, 56

Menoetius, son of Actor, an Argonaut, I, 69

Mentores, a people of Illyria, IV, 551

Merops, father of Cleite, I, 975

Miletus, a city of Ionia, I, 186

Mimas, (1) a Bebrycian, II, 105: (2) a giant, III, 1227

Minoan, of Minos, i.e. Cretan, II, 299, 516; IV, 1564, 1691

Minoïs, daughter of Minos, Ariadne III, 908; IV, 433

Minos, king of Crete, III, 1000, 1098, 1100, 1107; IV, 1491

Minyan, of Minyas, IV, 117

Minyans, the Argonauts, I, 229, 709, 1055; II, 97; III, 578; IV, 338, 509, 595, 1074, 1220, 1364, 1456, 1500

Minyas, son of Aeolus, I, 230; III, 1093, 1094

Mopsus, son of Ampycus, an Argonaut, I, 65, 80, 1083, 1086, 1106; II, 923; III, 543, 916, 938; IV, 1502, 1518

Mossynoeci, a people of Pontus, II, 379, 1016, 1117

Mycenaeans, I, 128

Myrine, a city of Lemnos, I, 604, 634

Myrmidon, father of Eupolemeia, I, 55

Myrmidons, old inhabitants of Aegina, IV, 1772

Myrtilus, charioteer of Oenomaus, I, 755

Myrtosian height, in Libya, II, 505

Mysian, I, 1115, 1349; II, 766:
as subst. in plur., I, 1164, 1179, 1298, 1322, 1345; II, 781,
786; IV, 1472
Narex, a mouth of the river Ister, IV, 312

Nasamon, a Libyan, IV, 1496

Naubolides, son of Naubolus Clytoneus, I, 134

Naubolus, (1) son of Lernus, I, 135: (2) son of Ornytus, I, 203

Naupliades, son of Nauplius, Proetus, I, 136

Nauplius (1) son of Poseidon, I, 138: (2) son of Clytoneus, an Argonaut, I, 134; II, 896

Nausithous, king of the Phaeacians before Alcinous, IV, 539, 547, 550

Neleïdae, descendants of Neleus, I, 959

Neleis, daughter of Neleus, Pero, I, 120

Neleus, king of Pylos, I, 156, 158

Nepeian plain, near Cyzicus, I, 1116

Nereïdes, daughters of Nereus, IV, 844, 859, 930

Nereus, a sea-god, I, 1311; IV, 772, 1599, 1743

Nestaeans, a people of Illyria, IV, 1215

Nestian lands, in Illyria, IV, 337

Nisaeans, II, 747, 847

Nycteus, a king, father of Antiope, IV, 1090

Nymphaea, the island of Calypso, IV, 574

Nyseian, of Nysa, epithet of Dionysus, II, 905, 1214; IV, 431, 1134

Nyx, the goddess Night, III, 1193; IV, 630, 1059

Oaxus, a river of Crete, I, 1131

Oceanis, daughter of Oceanus, (1) Eurynome, I, 504: (2) Philyra, II, 1239

Oceanus, I, 506; III, 244, 957, 1230; IV, 282, 632, 638, 1414

Oeagrus, father of Orpheus, I, 25, 570; II, 703; IV, 905, 1193

Oechalia, a city of Euboea, I, 87

Oeneïdes, son of Oeneus, Meleagrus, I, 190, 1046; III, 518

Oeneus, I, 192, 193

Oenoe, (1) an island in the Aegaean, I, 623: (2) a nymph, I, 626

Oenomaus, I, 756

Ogygian, epithet of Thebes, III, 1178

Oileus, an Argonaut, I, 74; II, 1037

Olenian, of Olenus, a city in Aetolia, I, 202

Olympian, IV, 95

Olympus, (1) a mountain in Thessaly, I, 598:
(2) the abode of the gods, I, 504, 1099; II, 300, 603, 1232; III, 113,
159, 1358; IV, 770, 781
Onchestus, a city of Boeotia, III, 1242

Ophion, I, 503

Opuntian, of Opus, IV, 1780

Opus, a city of Locris, I, 69

Orchomenus (1) son of Minyas and king of Orchomenus, II, 654, 1093,
1186; III, 265, 266:
(2) a city of Boeotia, II, 1153; III, 1073, 1094; IV, 257
Oreides, an attendant of Amycus, II, 110

Oreithyia, daughter of Erechtheus, I, 212

Oricus (or Oricum), a city of Epirus, IV, 1215

Orion, the constellation, I, 1202; III, 745

Ornytides, the son of Ornytus, Naubolus, I, 207

Ornytus, a Bebrycian (not father of Naubolus), II, 65

Orpheus, I, 23, 32, 494, 540, 915, 1134; II, 161, 685, 928; IV, 905, 1159, 1409, 1547

Ortygia, a name of Delos, I, 419, 537; IV, 1705

Ossa, a mountain in Thessaly, I, 598

Othrys, a mountain in Thessaly, II, 515

Otrere, a queen of the Amazons, II, 387

Pactolus, a river of Lydia, IV, 1300

Paeëon, the physician of the gods, IV, 1511

Pagasae, a city of Thessaly, I, 238, 411

Pagaseian, I, 318, 524; IV, 1781

Palaemonius, an Argonaut, I, 202

Pallas, the goddess Athena, I, 723; III, 340

Pallenaean, of Pallene, a promontory in Chalcidice, I, 599

Panachaean, I, 243; III, 347

Panhellenes, II, 209

Paphlagonians, II, 358, 790; IV, 245, 300

Paraebius, a friend of Phineus, II, 456, 463

Parnassus, a mountain between Phocis and Locris, II, 705

Parrhasian, of Parrhasia, a district in Arcadia, II, 521

Parthenia, a name of the island Samos, I, 188; II, 872

Parthenius, a river of Paphlagonia, II, 936; III, 876

Pasiphae, wife of Minos, III, 999, 1076, 1107

Pegae, a spring in Mysia, I, 1222, 1243

Peiresiae, a city of Thessaly, I, 37, 584

Peirithous, king of the Lapithae, I, 103

Pelasgian, I, 14, 906; III, 1323; IV, 243, 265: as subst. in plur., I, 580; II, 1239

Peleïdes, son of Peleus, Achilles, I, 558

Peleus, son of Aeacus, an Argonaut, I, 94, 1042; II, 829, 868, 1217;
III, 504; IV, 494, 816, 853, 880, 1368
Pelian, of Mt. Pelion, I, 386, 525, 550, 581; II, 1188

Pelias, king of Iolcus, I, 3, 5, 12, 225, 242, 279, 323, 902, 981, 1304; II, 624, 763; III, 64, 75, 1135; IV, 242

Pelion, a mountain in Thessaly, I, 520

Pellene, a city of Achaea, I, 177

Pelles, the founder of Pellene, I, 177

Pelopeia, daughter of Pelias, I, 326

Pelopeian, of Pelops, I, 758; II, 790; IV, 1570, 1577

Pelops, I, 753; II, 359; IV, 1231

Peneus, a river of Thessaly, II, 500

Percosian, of Percote, I, 975

Percote, a city in the Troad, I, 932

Periclymenus, an Argonaut, I, 156

Pero, daughter of Neleus, I, 119

Perse, mother of Circe, IV, 591

Perseis, daughter of Perses, Hecate, III, 467, 478, 1035; IV, 1020

Persephone, goddess of the under world, II, 916

Perseus, IV, 1513

Peuce, an island at the mouth of the Ister, IV, 300

Phaeacian, IV, 769, 1222, 1722:
as subst. in plur., IV, 539, 549, 822, 991, 992, 1139, 1181,
Phaëthon, (1) a name of Apsyrtus, III, 245, 1236:
(2) son of Helios, IV, 598, 623
Phaëthusa, a daughter of Helios, IV, 971

Phalerus, an Argonaut, I, 96

Phasis, a river of Colchis, II, 401, 1261, 1278; III, 57, 1220; IV, 134

Pherae, a city of Thessaly, I, 49

Phillyrides, son of Philyra, Cheiron, I, 554

Philyra, a daughter of Ocean, II, 1232, 1239

Philyrean, of Philyra, II, 1231

Philyres, a people of Pontus, II, 393

Phineus, a blind seer, II, 178, 236, 277, 294, 305, 436, 438, 530, 618, 647, 769, 1051, 1090, 1135; III, 549, 555, 943; IV, 254

Phlegraean, of Phlegra, III, 234, 1227

Phlias, son of Dionysus, an Argonaut, I, 115

Phliuntian, of Phlius, a city of the Peloponnese, IV, 568

Phlogius, (1) one of the Doliones, I, 1045: (2) son of Deimachus, II, 956

Phocians, I, 207

Phocus, brother of Telamon and Peleus, I, 92

Phoebus, Apollo, I, 1, 301, 353, 536, 759; II, 216, 506, 702, 713, 847;
IV, 529, 1490, 1493, 1550, 1702, 1717, 1718
Phorcys, father of Scylla, IV, 828, 1598

Phrixus, son of Athamas, I, 256, 291, 763; II, 1093, 1107, 1119, 1141, 1143, 1151, 1194; III, 178, 190, 196, 263, 304, 330, 338, 361, 374, 584, 595; IV, 22, 71, 81, 119, 441, 736

Phrontis, a son of Phrixus, II, 1155; IV, 72, 76, 80

Phrygia, I, 937, 1126, 1166

Phrygians, I, 1139; II, 787

Phthia, a city of Thessaly, I, 94; II, 514, 520

Phthian, I, 55

Phylace, a city of Thessaly, I, 45

Phylaceis, daughter of Phylacus, Alcimede, I, 47

Phylleian, (1) of the river Phyllis, in Bithynia, II, 652: (2) of a mountain in Thessaly, I, 37

Pieria, a district in Thessaly, I, 31, 34

Pierides, a name of the Muses, IV, 1382

Pimpleian, of Pimpleia, in Pieria, 1, 25

Pityeia, (1) a city of the Troad, I, 933: (2) one of the Liburnian islands, IV, 565

Planctae, rocks past which Argo sailed, IV, 860, 924, 932, 939

Plegades, the clashing rocks, the Symplegades, II, 596, 645

Pleiads, III, 226

Pleistus, II, 711

Plotae, floating islands, II, 285, 297

Polydeuces, son of Zeus and Leda, an Argonaut, I, 146; II, 20, 100,
756; IV, 588
Polyphemus, son of Eilatus, an Argonaut, I, 40, 1241, 1321, 1347; IV,
Polyxo, aged nurse of Hypsipyle, I, 668

Pontus, the Euxine or Black Sea, I, 2; II, 346, 413, 418, 579, 984; IV,
304, 1002
Poseidon, I, 13, 136, 158, 180, 185, 951, 1158; II, 867; III, 1240; IV,
567, 1326, 1356, 1370, 1559, 1621;
god of the family ([Greek: Genethlios]), II, 3
Posideian headland, in Bithynia, I, 1279

Priolas, II, 780

Proetus, I, 136

Prometheus, II, 1249, 1257; III, 845, 853, 1086

Promeus, one of the Doliones, I, 1044

Propontis, I, 936, 983

Pylos, a city of Messenia, I, 157

Pytho, the old name of Delphi, I, 209, 308, 413, 418, 536; IV, 530, 1704

Rhea, a goddess, wife of Cronos, mother of Zeus, I, 506, 1139, 1151; II, 1235

Rhebas, a river of Bithynia, II, 349, 650, 789

Rhipaean mountains, in Scythia, IV, 287

Rhodanus, the river Rhone, IV, 627

Rhoeteian shore, in the Troad, I, 929

Rhyndacus, a river of Bithynia, I, 1165

Salangon, a river of Illyria, IV, 337

Salmonian promontory, in Crete, IV, 1693

Sangarius, a river of Bithynia, II, 722

Sapeires, a people of Pontus, II, 395, 1243

Sardinian sea, IV, 633

Sarpedonian rock, in Thrace, I, 216

Sauromatae, a people of Scythia, III, 353, 394

Sciathus, an island near Magnesia, I, 583

Scylla, IV, 789, 827, 828, 922

Scythians, IV, 288, 320

Sepian headland, in Thessaly, I, 582

Serbonian lake, in Egypt, II, 1215

Sesamus, a city of Paphlagonia, II, 941

Sicinus, (1) son of Thoas, I, 625: (2) an island, also called Oenoe, in the Aegaean sea, I, 624

Sigynni, a people near the river Ister, IV, 320

Sindi, a people near the river Ister, IV, 322

Sinope, daughter of Asopus, II, 946

Sintian, an epithet of the island Lemnos, I, 608; IV, 1759

Siphaean, an epithet of the Thespians, I, 105

Sirens, IV, 893, 914

Sirius, the dog star, II, 517, 524; III, 957

Sparta, I, 148; IV, 1761, 1762

Sphodris, one of the Doliones, I, 1041

Sporades, islands in the Aegaean sea, IV, 1711

Sthenelus, II, 911, 925

Stoechades, islands off Liguria, IV, 554, 650, 654

Strophades, islands in the Ionian sea, II, 296

Stymphalian birds, II, 1053

Styx, a river of Hades, II, 291

Syrtis, quicksands in Libya, IV, 1235

Taenarus, a city of Laconia, I, 102, 179; III, 1241

Talaus, an Argonaut, I, 118; II, 63, 111

Talos, a giant, guardian of Crete, IV, 1638, 1670

Taphians, inhabitants of islands off the coast of Acarnania, same as the Teleboae, I, 750

Tegea, a city of Arcadia, I, 162, 398

Telamon, son of Aeacus, an Argonaut, I, 93, 1043, 1289, 1330; III, 196, 363, 440, 515, 1174

Teleboans, see Taphians, I, 748

Telecles, one of the Doliones, I, 1040

Teleon, (1) father of Eribotes, I, 72, 73: (2) father of Butes, I, 96; IV, 912

Tenos, an island in the Aegaean sea, I, 1305

Terpsichore, one of the Muses, IV, 896

Tethys, wife of Oceanus, mother of Eidyia, III, 244

Thebes, I, 736; II, 906; III, 1178; IV, 260

Theiodamas, king of the Dryopians, I, 1213, 1216, 1355

Themis, IV, 800

Themiscyreian headland, II, 371, 995

Thera, an island in the Aegaean sea, IV, 1763

Therapnaean, of Therapnae, a city of Laconia, II, 163

Theras, IV, 1762

Thermodon, a river of Pontus, II, 370, 805, 970

Theseus, I, 101; III, 997; IV, 433

Thespians, I, 106

Thestiades, son of Thestius, Iphiclus, I, 201

Thetis, a Nereid, wife of Peleus, IV, 759, 773, 780, 783, 800, 833, 845, 881, 932, 938

Thoantias, daughter of Thoas, Hypsipyle, I, 637, 712

Thoas, former king of Lemnos, I, 621, 625, 718, 798, 829; IV, 426

Thrace, I, 213, 614, 799, 826, 1113

Thracian, I, 24, 29, 214, 602, 678, 795, 954, 1110, 1300; II, 427; IV,
905, 1484:
as subst. in plur., I, 632, 637, 821, 923; II, 238; IV, 288, 320
Thrinacia, the island Sicily, IV, 965

Thrinacian sea, IV, 994

Thyiades, Bacchants, I, 636

Thynian, II, 350, 460, 485, 548, 673: as subst. in plur., II, 529

Tibareni, a people of Pontus, II, 377, 1010

Tiphys, the pilot of Argo, I, 105, 381, 401, 522, 561, 956, 1274, 1296;
II, 175, 557, 574, 584, 610, 622, 854
Tisaean headland, in Thessaly, I, 568

Titanian, III, 865; IV, 54, 131

Titans, I, 507; II, 1233; IV, 989

Titaresian, of Titaresus, a river of Thessaly, I, 65

Titias, (1) one of the Idaean Dactyls, I, 1126: (2) a boxer, II, 783

Tityos, I, 181, 761

Trachis, a city of Thessaly, I, 1356

Triccaean, of Tricca, a city of Thessaly, II, 955

Trinacrian sea, IV, 291

Triton, (1) a sea-god, IV, 1552, 1589, 1598, 1621, 1741, 1742, 1752: (2) the river Nile, IV, 269: (3) a lake in Libya, IV, 1311

Tritonian, I, 721, 768; III, 1183; IV, 260, 1391, 1444, 1495, 1539

Tyndareus, I,148; III, 517

Tyndarides, the son of Tyndareus, Polydeuces, II, 30, 41, 74, 798: in plur., Castor and Polydeuces, I, 1045; II, 806; III, 1315; IV, 593

Typhaon, II, 1211

Typhaonian rock, II, 1210

Typhoeus, II, 38

Tyrrhenian, Etruscan, III, 312; IV, 660, 850, 856:
as subst. in plur., IV, 1760
Uranides, son of Uranus, Cronos, II, 1232:
in plur., the gods, II, 342
Uranus, III, 699, 746; IV, 992

Xanthus, a river of Lycia, I, 309

Xynian lake, in Thessaly, I, 68

Zelys, one of the Doliones, I, 1042

Zetes, son of Boreas, an Argonaut, I, 211; II, 243, 282, 430