Bhagavata Purana, J. L. Shastri / G. V. Tagare, Motilal

That's French for "the ancient system," as in the ancient system of feudal privileges and the exercise of autocratic power over the peasants. The ancien regime never goes away, like vampires and dinosaur bones they are always hidden in the earth, exercising a mysterious influence. It is not paranoia to believe that the elites scheme against the common man. Inform yourself about their schemes here.

Bhagavata Purana, J. L. Shastri / G. V. Tagare, Motilal

Postby admin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:35 am

Bhagavata Purana
Parts 1 through 5
J. L. Shastri / G. V. Tagare
Motilal Banarsidass Publishers Private Limited

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

Contents:

• Skandha I
o 1. Dialogue between Suta and Saunaka in the Naimisa forest
o 2. Merits of Devotion to Hari
o 3. Description of twentyfour incarnations of lord Visnu
o 4. Arrival of Narada
o 5-6. Dialogue between Vyasa and Narada
o 7. Punishment of Asvatthaman
o 8. Kunti's Eulogy of Krsna and Yudhisthira’s Repentance
o 9. Yudhisthira’s Acquisition of Kingdom
o 10. Krsna’s Departure to Dvaraka
o 11. Krana’s Entrance into Dvaraka
o 12. Birth of Pariksit
o 13. Discourse of Narada
o 14. Conjectures of Yudhisthira
o 15. Ascent of the Pandavas to Heaven
o 16. Dialogue between the Earth and Dharma
o 17. Punishment and Control of Kali
o 18. Curse of Brahmana
o 19. Arrival of Suka
• Skandha II
o 1. Discourse of Suka. Description of the Cosmic Form of the Lord
o 2. Liberation by the Yogic Path: Instantaneous and Gradual Liberation
o 3. Devotion to Hari — the only path of Liberation
o 4. Creation of the Universe — Prayers to Hari
o 5. Creation of the Universe — Dialogue between Narada and Brahmadeva
o 6. Description of the Virat Purusa — exposition of the Purusa Sukta
o 7. Some Lilavataras and their work
o 8. Queries regarding the relation between the body, Soul and God
o 9. Suka’s discourse, Catuhsloki Bhagavata
o 10. Ten characteristics of the Bhagavata Purana
• Skandha III
o 1. Meeting of Vidura and Uddhava
o 2. Dialogue between Uddhava and Vidura
o 3. Dialogue between Vidura and Uddhava — Glorious deeds of Krsna
o 4. Dialogue between Vidura and Uddhava — Destruction of the Yadavas and Krsna’s Message
o 5. Dialogue between Vidura and Maitreya — Tattvas and their Deities
o 6. Cosmology: Creation of the Universe
o 7. Vidura’s Queries
o 8. Creation of Brahma — His vision of Narayana
o 9. Brahma’s Prayer and Visnu’s Boon
o 10. Brahma’s Penance and Ten-fold Creation
o 11. The concept of time: manvantaras and life-spans of men and gods
o 12. Creation of Rudra, of the mind-born Sons and of Manu and Satarupa
o 13. The Boar Incarnation
o 14. Diti’s Conception
o 15. Sanaka and others curse Jaya and Vijaya
o 16. Fall of Jaya and Vijaya
o 17. Birth of Hiranyaksa and Hiranyaksipu — Hiranyaksa’s Victories
o 18. Hiranyaksa’s Fight with Visnu
o 19. Varaha Kills Hiranyaksa
o 20. Various Creations of Brahma
o 21. Kardama’s Penance— Visnu’s Boon
o 22. Marriage of Kardama and Devahuti
o 23. Married life of Kardama and Devahuti
o 24. Kapila Incarnation
o 25. Dialogue between Kapila and Devahuti: Importance of the Bhakti-yoga
o 26. Kapila’s description of Creation — Samkhya Cosmology
o 27. Samkhya Philosophy — Prakrti and Purusa
o 28. Exposition of the Astanga-Yoga — the eight-fold path of Yoga
o 29. The Path of Bhakti (Bhaktiyoga) and the Power of Time
o 30. Samsara and Suffering in Hell
o 31. Sufferings of the Jiva — the Rajasi Gati
o 32. Excellence of the Bhaktiyoga
o 33. Devahuti’s Enlightenment and Liberation
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bhagavata Purana, J. L. Shastri / G. V. Tagare, Motilal

Postby admin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:36 am

Skandha Eighth, Chapter Twenty-Four: The Fish Incarnation of Lord Visnu

[The deluge is a part of race-memory in different parts of the world. It testifies to the sub-mergence of some parts of the world under water, at some distant period in the past, and the memory persisted among Hebrews, Assyrians, Hindus etc. The different periods of such deluges in different parts of the world (for example the Nohaic Flood which lasted for about 371 to 376 days was in West Asia round Mt. Ararat (The Old Testament - Genesis Chs. 6, 7, 8.) Also vide T. A. Bryant's The New Compact Bible Dictionary, pp. 176-178; 403-4 Special Crusade Edition), while the Indian deluge was in the Himalayan region and it lasted throughout one Kalpa, shows that there was really no universal flood, though it appeared to be so to the people in the affected area which was their ‘‘world" in ancient times. In India the deluge is described in the Satapatha Br. 1.8.6 the MBH Vana 187, Agni P. 2, Matsya P. 1 & 2. The Satapatha tradition seems to be the earliest and is followed by MBH where Manu, the saviour of the fish, was at Badari and the locale of the flood was the Himalayan region, but with the Bh. P., King Satyavrata, the saviour of the fish (and a future Manu) was a Dravida King who got the fish in the river Krta-mala in Tamil Nadu. The brief statement in the Agni P. makes Manu perform penance on the bank of Krta-mala, while in the Matsya P. 1, 17-18 Manu went to Malaya (Kerala) where in his own hermitage the small fish fell from above. The symbolism of the fish is explained by V.S. Agrawala [illegible] -- a study, pp. 4-8 with which one may not agree, as it presumes an advanced knowledge in Embryology in that Puranic era (Gupta Period).]

The King said:

1. Venerable Sir! I now desire to hear from you the story of the first incarnation of Lord Hari of miraculous exploits, wherein he assumed the form of a fish, through his deluding potency (Maya).

2. Why did the Supreme Lord, like one subject to (laws of) Karma, assume the form of a fish which is disgustible to the world, as being of tamasic nature and unbearable.

3. It behoves you, Oh worshipful Sir, to tell us everything in details (as it took place), as the actions of the Lord of hallowing renown, are conducive to the happiness of all people.

Suta said:

4. When requested thus by Pariksit (One protected by Visnu i.e. Krsna [Vide Supra 1. 12.7-11.]), the venerable Suka, the son of Badarayana, began to narrate the history of Lord Visnu as he acted in the form of a fish.

Sri Suka said:

5. (The object of incarnations in general:) When the Almighty Lord desires to protect cows, Brahmanas, gods, righteous persons, the Vedas and the laws of Dharma (righteousness) and Artha and other Purusarthas, he assumes a body.

6. (This incarnation is not disgustible.) The Supreme Lord moves like vital airs through higher and lower beings. But Himself being transcendental to gupas (attributes), he is not affected by the guyas of Prakrti and hence by the highness or lowness of status.

7. At the close of the last Kalpa (known as Brahma), there was a periodic deluge caused by (the sleep that overcame) Brahma.
[While commenting on verse No. 46, SR raises there a pertinent point as to the nature of this Deluge. He states that as the world was submerged within seven days without the usual draught of 100 years, and having fire from above (the sun) and from below (Sesa’s poison), this must be an illusory deluge shown to Satyavrata by the Lord. This has been echoed by GS. on this verse and by VD elsewhere.] At that time, Oh King, the worlds known as Bhu (this earth) and other (higher) worlds were submerged under the sea.

8. A mighty demon called Haya-griva (one with the neck and head of a horse) who was in the vicinity of Brahma, carried away the Vedas which (unconsciously) escaped from the mouth of Brahma who was overcome with sleep under the influence of Time, and desired to go to bed.

9. Noticing that (clandestine) act of Hayagriva the king of Danavas, the glorious Supreme Lord Hari, assumed the form of a small glittering fish.

10. In that Kalpa, a great royal sage, by name Satyavrata who was absolutely devoted to Narayana, was practising austerities, subsisting on water only.

11. That very person (who was then called King Satyavrata) is well known as Sraddha-deva, the son of Vivasvat and was installed as Manu by Lord Hari, in this great Kalpa.

12. One day while he was offering libations of water (to sages and manes) in the river Krtamala [The river Vaiga in Tamil Nadu. It rises in the Malaya fountain and the holy city of Madura is situated on it — GDAMI, p. 104.], a certain tiny fish was noticed in the water in the hollow of his folded palms.

13. Satyavrata, the King of Dravida land, was about to drop the small fish along with the water in the cavity of his folded palms.

14. To that extremely compassionate king, the fish piteously implored, “Oh king, kind unto the afflicted! How is it that you are throwing a poor helpless creature like me, into the waters of river when I am afraid of acquatic animals who kill their own species.

15. Not knowing that it was Lord Visnu who, out of affection, assumed the form of a fish to confer Grace on him, he made up his mind to Protect the tiny fish.

16. Hearing the piteous appeal of the fish, the merciful king placed it in his water-jar (Kamandalu) and carried it to his hermitage.

17. Growing there in that jar of water (Kamandalu) in one night, and finding the space therein insufficient, she said to the king.

18. “I am not able to accommodate myself in this jar (Kamandalu) with difficulty. Be pleased to provide for me sufficiently spacious abode, wherein I can live comfortably."

19. He took the fish out of that jar (Kamandalu) and placed it in a big earthen pot for waterstorage (or a well). When thrown therein it grew to the dimensions of three cubits within a muhurta (48 minutes).

20. (The fish requested:) “This reservoir is not sufficient to accommodate me comfortably. As I have adapted you as my protector, please provide me with a more spacious place.

21. Bringing that fish from the reservoir, the king threw it into a lake. Occupying the whole (expanse of the) lake with its body, it grew into a monstrous fish.

22. (The fish requested) “I am an acquatic animal, Oh king! The waters of this lake are not sufficient for my comfortable stay. Be pleased to place me in a pool of inexhaustible storage of water, making arrangement of my safe transit to it."

23. Thus requested, the king carried the fish to various pools of inexhaustible stores of water (each bigger and deeper than the former). When the fish went on growing coextensive with the expanse of the lake, he threw it at last, into the sea.

24. While he was being thus deposited into the sea, he spoke to the king as follows: “Oh heroic king! It is not proper that you throw me here, as extremely powerful alligators and other acquatic animals will eat me.”

25. Being deluded by the fish with the expression of charming words, Satyavrata enquired, “Who are you who beguile us in the form of a fish?”

26. Never such acquatic animal possessing such (miraculous) power and capacity has been seen or heard by us, inasmuch as you fill a lake of one hundred yojanas (i.e. 800 miles) in extent, in a single day.

27. Certainly you must be the Imperishable, glorious Lord, Narayana or Hari Himself who assumed the form of an acquatic creature for showing Grace unto living beings.

28. Oh Supreme-most Person! I bow to you who are the Master of the creation, protection and the destruction of the Universe. Oh all-pervading Lord! You are the real self, the goal and the refuge to us, your votaries, who approach you for protection.

29. All your sportful incarnations are meant for the prosperity and well-being of created beings. I wish to know the main purpose for assuming this form by your worshipful self.

30. Oh Lotus-eyed Lord! Seeking resort to your feet — you who are the friend and dear soul of all — shall never be futile, as to those others who look upon the body as their soul. For you have manifested your miraculous form to us.

Sri Suka said:

31. To king Satyavrata who was addressing him in this way, the lord of the Universe who assumed the body of a fish as he desired to sport in the ocean of deluge at the end of Yuga (which was about to take place), but who, being fond of his exclusive, unflinching votaries, wished to accomplish the good of king and spoke as follows:

The Glorious Lord said:

32. Oh vanquisher of enemies! On the seventh day from today, all the three worlds, viz. the terrestrial world, the celestial region and space (aerial region) between the two, will be submerged in the ocean of deluge.

33. While the worlds will be sinking in the waters of the deluge, a spacious boat despatched by me will approach you.
[In the Bible story of the Flood or Deluge, God gave Noah exact instructions for building the Ark (Genesis 6.14-16). God led Noah and his family as well as pairs of animals into the Ark and shut the door of the Ark (Genesis 7.16). In MBH Vana.187.31 the king is asked to build a strong ship.

34-35. In the meanwhile, you take with you all herbs and plants and seeds of various types (both of inferior and superior qualities) and surrounded by seven sages and accompanied by all varieties of animals, you will board that spacious ship and shall fearlessly sail over the one undivided ocean [Ekarnava — The original ocean of infinite waters, the source of cosmic creation. In Bh. P. supra 3.6.23, it is called juganta-toya. In [illegible] terms Maharnava, Ekargava, Agadha, Stabdha Salila are (illegible.)] completely devoid of light but illuminated with the effulgence of sages (to guide you).

36. While the boat will toss hither and thither by strong gales, I shall be near you. You moor it fast to my horn with a big serpent (Vasuki, as a rope).

37. Oh King! While the night of god Brahma lasts, I shall move (through the ocean) dragging the ship with you and the sages on board.

38. In reply to your well-reasoned questions, you will find revealed in your heart, through my Grace, my real greatness, which is designated as Supreme Brahman”.

39. Having instructed the King in this way, Lord Hari disappeared. Satyavrata waited for the period about which Lord Visnu forewarned him.

40. Spreading the darbha grass with their points towards the east, the royal sage sat with his face to the North-East meditating over the feet of Lord Hari in the fish-form.

41. Then the ocean was seen overflowing its boundaries and inundating the earth on all sides, and seemed to be increasing in volume by the heavy downpour from great clouds.

42. While musing over the command of the Lord, he saw the arrival of a boat. Taking with him all the plants and herbs, he boarded the ship alongwith the prominent Brahmana sages.

43. Being pleased with him, the sages advised him: “Oh King! Meditate upon Lord Visnu (Kesava). He will be our saviour from this calamity, and bring about our happiness.”

44. Thereupon when the Lord was contemplated upon by the King (as per advice of the sages), there appeared in that vast ocean, a golden fish with one horn and body one hundred thousand yojanas in dimensions.

45. Having moored the ship to the horn of that fish with the serpent (-King Vasuki) as the rope, as per previous instructions of Lord Hari, the King felt highly delighted, and praised Lord Visnu
(The slayer of the demon Madhu) as follows:

The King said:

46. [SR. shows that this is not only not the Final Deluge (maha-Pralaya), but not even a periodic one. But just as sage Markandeya was shown the scene of Deluge in this very (Vaivasvata) Manvantara, King Satyavrata was shown the Deluge with a view to initiate him in the spiritual knowledge. BP. however, controverts this and basing himself on Laghu-Bhagavata subscribes to the theory of two fish-incarnations just as there had been two boar-incarnations. (matsyo’pi pradur abhavad dvih kalpe'smin varahavat / adau svayambhuviyasya daityam ghnanaharat srutih /). He further quotes Visnudharmottara for support. The main objection of SR i.e. the impossibility of a real Deluge within seven days, without any famine etc., is not met by the critics of SR.] Your Lordship is our highest preceptor [Paramo gurur bhavan: The seven sages were Satyavrata’s preceptors and the Lord was the preceptor of these sages. Hence the Lord is the “Grand-sire" (preceptor) of Satyavrata — VC.] Who confer on us Liberation from Samsara — we, whose [anadyavidya,...samvidah: whose knowledge about the supreme soul and soul as they are, is obscured by our date-less ignorance whereby we wrongly identify the body with the soul — VR. By ‘atma-samvit’ VJ, understands ‘the knowledge of the Supreme Soul' JG. interprets 'avidya' as the Lord’s Deluding Potency (Maya). ] knowledge about the soul is screened (and hence obscured) by Nescience (avidya) which is beginningless, are subjected to suffer the three types of afflictions in this Samsara rooted in that very Nescience. It is through your Grace that we take shelter in You [yadrcchayehopasrta: To whom people attain to after resorting to and through spiritual preceptors. — VR. VR. insists that it is through God's Grace that one comes in contact with spiritual preceptors. But VJ thinks that the very birth in the human species is due to His Grace secured by meritorious acts in the previous births.] and attain to realize You.

47. This category of beings (subject to the cycle of births and deaths) is ignorant (as he identified body with the soul) and is fettered with (and hence subject to the fruits of) his actions. With the desire of enjoying pleasures (derivable from objects of senses), he performs acts with great pains. By adoring you the wrong notion (consisting of the identity of the body and the soul or ‘in doing Karma’) is shaken off. May he, being our preceptor, cut off the knot of false notion (or attachment) in our heart.

48. May that Imperishable Supreme Ruler (of the Universe), our preceptor’s preceptor be our preceptor, by serving (adoring) whom, a person (desirous of Liberation from Samsara) purges the tamasic dirt from himself and regains its original (blissful) character just as a lump of gold or silver becomes purified of the dross, by being blown into the fire and recovers its original colour and nature.

49. I seek asylum in that Supreme Lord (whose Grace is so unlimited that) not even one out of ten thousand parts of his Grace, the gods, preceptors and all people combined together can, by themselves, show to a person (their devotee).

50. Just as a sightless person is called upon to lead the blind, a spiritually unenlightened person is made the preceptor of ignorant people. Like the light of the sun, you are self-illuminating and providing light to all our senses or are (capable of direct perception). Hence, we have sought you as a preceptor and guide, with the desire of knowing our way and destination.

51. A (spiritually ignorant) person imparts wrong instructions to another person (leading to wealth and gratification of lust) whereby the follower is sure to land in the insuperable darkness (in the form of Samsara). You, however, impart eternal unfailing knowledge (of the soul) in the light of which, a person can easily and definitely attain to his (spiritual) goal.

52. To all the people in the world, you (alone) are certainly a friendly well-wisher, the beloved Supreme Ruler, the very soul, the preceptor, the spiritual wisdom itself and the goal to be realized. But people of ‘blind' intellect and understanding, who are deeply rooted in worldly desires, cannot see you even though you exist in their very heart.

53. For the sake of spiritual awakening and guidance, I resort to you, the Almighty Ruler, adorable even to gods and worthy of being sought by all. Oh Lord! Cut asunder the knots (of egotism, ignorance etc.) in my heart, with your words shedding light on the (spiritual) truth and reveal unto me your own self.

Sri Suka said:

54. To the king who was praying thus, the glorious Lord, the ancient-most person who was sporting in the ocean in the form of a fish, imparted the highest truth.

55. He revealed to the royal sage Satyavrata the divine compilation of Purana [The Matsya p., in its preamble, (ch. 2.22-24) makes Manu ask the Fish all the topics covered in a purana e.g.: utpattim pralayan caiva vamsan manvantarani ca / vamsyanu-caritan caiva bhuvanasya ca vistaram //. But MBH Vana 187 is silent on this point. The word matsya purana etc. in 187.57 means ‘the episode of Fish incarnation’ narrated in MBH.] (known as the Matsya Purana) dealing with the Sankhya system of Philosophy, and the science and practice of Yoga, and also instructed him in the secret lore about the soul.

56. Seated on board the ship along with the sages, the king listened to the discourse on the real nature of the soul and the Eternal Brahman
so expounded to them by the glorious Lord as to leave no (shadow of) doubt about it.

57. To god Brahma who was awakened after the end of the Pralaya (Deluge), Lord Hari restored the Vedas after killing the demon Hayagriva.

58. That King Satyavrata who was thus blessed with discriminating knowledge and spiritual wisdom, has become Vaivasvata Manu in this Kalpa, through the Grace of Visnu.

59. He who listens to the great story consisting of the dialogue between the royal sage Satyavrata and Visnu who, through his Maya, assumed the form of a horned fish, stands absolved of all sins.

60. A person who, everyday, extols this incarnation of Lord Hari, finds that all his desires are accomplished here, and he attains to the Final Beatitude (hereafter).

61. I do bow unto the Lord who is the cause of everything and who disguised himself as a fish
[GS. on the authority of VC. states that this fish of a curved body is called adi in common parlance.] in the cosmic waters of the Deluge, and killing the demon (Hayagriva), restored to Brahma the corpus of the Sruti texts which were stolen away from his mouths (by Hayagriva) when his (Brahma’s) powers became dormant in sleep and who imparted the knowledge of Brahman to Satyavrata and the seven sages. [Curiously enough as a phala-sruti of this skandha, VD quotes a puranic story of a king Visnujit who was absolved of the sin of killing a Brahmana by listening to the VIII Skandha of the Bhagavata Purana.]  
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ancien Regime