The Padma-Purana, Part 9, by Motilal Banarsidass

That's French for "the ancient system," as in the ancient system of feudal privileges and the exercise of autocratic power over the peasants. The ancien regime never goes away, like vampires and dinosaur bones they are always hidden in the earth, exercising a mysterious influence. It is not paranoia to believe that the elites scheme against the common man. Inform yourself about their schemes here.

The Padma-Purana, Part 9, by Motilal Banarsidass

Postby admin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:05 am

The Padma-Purana
Part 9
Motilal Banarsidass

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

Contents:

• Padma-Purana: Section VI: Uttarakhanda (Continued)
o 185. The Greatness of the Eleventh Chapter: Sunanda’s Story
o 186. The Greatness of the Twelfth Chapter: Siddhasamadhi’s Story
o 187. The Thirteenth Chapter: Duracara’s Story
o 188. The Fourteenth Chapter: Story of a Bitch and a Hare
o 189. The Fifteenth Chapter: The Story of King Narasimha
o 190. The Sixteenth Chapter: Khadgabahu’s Story
o 191. The Seventeenth Chapter: Duhsasana’s Story
o 192. The Eighteenth Chapter: A Brahmana Becomes Indra
o 193. The Greatness of the Bhagavata
o 194. Srimad Bhagavata, the Destroyer of All Miseries
o 195. The Rule of Reciting and Listening to the Bhagavata for a Week
o 196. Dhundhuli’s Story
o 197. The Seven-day Bhagavata Recitation
o 198. Procedure to be Followed during the Saptaha
o 199. The Glory of Yamuna
o 200. The Episode of a Bhilla and a Lion
o 201. Sarabha’s Story
o 202. The Story of King Dilipa
o 203. Dilipa Obtains a Son by Propitiating Nandini
o 204. The Story of a Merchant Sarabha and a Demon Vikata
o 205. The Efficacy of Nigamabodha
o 206. A Woman Should Never Desert Her Husband
o 207. The Story of Vimala
o 208. The Greatness of Dvaraka
o 209. The Story of Brahmana Mukunda
o 210. Mukunda Goes to Heaven
o 211. Candaka’s Fate
o 212. The Efficacy of Kosala
o 213. A Sraddha at Madhuvana is More Meritorious
o 214. The Greatness of Madhuvana
o 215. Budha Infuriated and Appeased
o 216. The Greatness of Badarikasrama
o 217. The Greatness of Haridvara
o 218. The Greatness of Puskara: Pundarika’s Story
o 219. The Greatness of Puskara: Pundarika Attains Absorption into Visnu
o 220. The Greatness of Prayaga: Mohini’s Story
o 221. The Greatness of Prayaga: Hemangi and Viravarman Go to Vaikuntha
o 222. Kasi, Gokarna, Sivakanci, Tirthasaptaka and Bhimakunda
o 223. Gem of a Formula
o 224. Bearing the Marks of a Disc etc. Essential for a Brahmana
o 225. The Efficacy of Urdhvapundra
o 226. The Meaning of the Mantra (Formula)
o 227. The Description of the Vibhuti of Tripad
o 228. Description of the Highest Heaven etc.
o 229. A Description of Victim’s Vyuhas
o 230. The Fish Incarnation of Visnu
o 231. Durvasas Cures Indra
o 232. The Rise of Goddess Laksmi
o 233. Ekadasi as a Day of Fast
o 234. How to Observe the Vow of Dvadasi
o 235. The Birth of Heretics
o 236. Characterization of Various Texts and Doctrines as Sattvika, Rajasa and Tamasa
o 237. The Boar Incarnation of Visnu
o 238. The Emergence of Nrsimha
o 239. The Rise of Bali and Kasyapa’s Penance
o 240. Visnu Incarnates as Vamana
o 241. Parasurama’s Story
o 242. The Story of Rama
o 243. Rama’s Consecration
o 244. Rama Goes to Heaven
o 245. The Brave Deeds of Krsna
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Padma-Purana, Part 9, by Motilal Banarsidass

Postby admin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:06 am

Chapter Two Hundred Thirty: The Fish Incarnation of Visnu

Parvati said:

1-2. O venerable one, please tell me duly taking what form the lord of gods, Visnu, killed the demons. O Siva, tell me in detail the grandeur of the forms (i.e. incarnations) of the Fish, the Tortoise of (i.e. taken by) the Greatest (lord).

Mahadeva said:

3-11. O goddess, listen with an alert mind. I shall tell (you) the grandeur of Visnu and the nature of his incarnations of the Fish, the Tortoise etc. As from one lamp another is produced (i.e. lighted), so would be the forms of the highest lord. The grand incarnations of the god are said to be auspicious and of various forms. There are also images of the highest lord that are worshipped. Brahma, due to his being the Creator, is the universal lord and a great joy. Bhrgu, Marici, Atri, Daksa, and Kardama, so also Pulastya, Pulaha, Girisa and Kratu are said to be the nine lords, in succession, of the created beings. Venerable Marici generated Kasyapa. O you of an auspicious appearance, Kasyapa had four wives: (They were:) Aditi, Diti, Kadru and Vinata also. Aditi gave birth to gods of shining appearance. Diti (gave birth) to demonic sons who were Tamasa by nature. Some very great demons were: Sambuka, Hayagriva, and the very mighty Hiranyaksa; so also Hiranyakasipu, Jambha, Maya and others. Makara, of a very severe penance, and very powerful, went to Brahma’s world.

12-14. The powerful one, having duped Brahma, seized the Vedas. Having seized the holy texts he entered the great ocean. Then the whole world became a void, and religious practices got mixed. There were no studies. There was no offering made to deities. The practices of the castes and the stages of human life were ignored. Then god Brahma, surrounded by hosts of ail gods, went to the Milky Ocean, and seeking refuge of god (Visnu), praised him.

Brahma said:

15-23a. Favour me, O god, O lord, O you seated on the serpent-couch, O lord of all gods, O soul of all gods, O you full of Vedas, O Acyuta. You are the first seed of the world-tree. In the middle (i.e. in its maintenance) you are superior to all. In the end (i.e. at the time of its destruction) you are Siva. You move according to your will. You alone sustain the ancient world of the form of sentience. You are the unmanifest, the origin of the elements, the Pradhana (i.e. the Primordial Matter) and the immutable Purusa. You, the Highest Lord, are the original, middle and the final form of the world. You, the Highest Being, are the refuge of all worlds. You are the origin of the beings. You are a great being. You are the cause of the group of the elements. You, possessing a soul and resorting to Ahamkara, are divided into three. You are the origin and the end. You are the great Vayu (air) that moves everywhere. You are, and you are not, the origin. You are fire, the treasure of lustres. You, the great lord, are the water, the life of all worlds. O you highly intelligent one, you are the earth, the support of the moving. You are the supporter of the earth. You are the rivers, the ocean, and you alone are the origin of everything. You are the divine sage; you are all the beings, O Highest Being. People urged by you only indulge in good or bad (acts).

23b-25. The Vedas, assaulted by the demon, have entered the great ocean. This entire world—immovable and movable— has the Vedas as its support. The Vedas alone are the limits on all sides of all (religious) practices. The gods are eternally satisfied with the Vedas. Therefore, O Kesava, please bring (back) the Vedas.

Sri Mahadeva said:

26-31. Visnu, the highest lord, thus addressed by Brahma, resorted to the Fish-form and entered the great ocean. Resorting to the form of a crocodile, he, honoured by the gods, killed that very fearful demon, after tearing him with the tip of his mouth. Having killed him, and taken all the Vedas, the Vedangas, the Upangas, he, of a great lustre, gave them to that Brahma. The Vedas seized by the demon, were mixed up with one another. The intelligent lord, of the form of Vyasa, made them distinct. By Vyasa, the noble one, the Vedas were separated. Thus, he, with his Fish incarnation, protected all deities. Oh! at that time Laksmi’s lord made the world free from affliction by giving (back) the Vedas. He, the venerable Vasudeva, Hari, full of all gods, being extolled by groups of gods and siddhas, and with his feet worshipped by the meditating sages, vanished.

Chapter Two Hundred Thirty-One: Durvasas Curses Indra

Sri Rudra said:

1-5. O dear one, I shall duly explain to you that grandeur of the Fish (incarnation) of Visnu, that is saluted by all people. Listen with a concentrated mind. The very lustrous son of Atri, well known as Durvasas, is wrathful, agitates all the world, and has (practised) severe penance. He, my portion, the brahmana sage, always causing fear to all, and the treasure of penance went to the Himalayan surface (i.e., region). He, worshipped by kinnara women, lived there for a year. (Then) the sage, desiring to see Indra, went to heaven. At that time he, of a great lustre, saw Saci’s lord, the great god, mounted on an elephant and being honoured by all gods.

6-9. Seeing that, that Durvasas, having a severe penance (to his credit), with his mind delighted and full of modesty, gave him the garland of parijata (flowers). The lord of the deities, received that garland, and placing it on the head of (his) elephant, went to Nandana (garden). The intoxicated elephant, took the garland with his trunk, pressed it and threw it on the ground. Then that Durvasas of a great lustre got angry, and with the fire of his anger ablaze, cursed Indra.

Durvasas said:

10. Since endowed with the entire prosperity of the three worlds, you are slighting me, therefore, the prosperity of the three worlds will surely he destroyed.

Rudra said:

11-18. Indra thus cursed went back to his city. Then Sri, the mother of the worlds, vanished in a moment. When Laksmi vanished, the three worlds vanished. When she, to whose glance the entire world of the immovable and movable resorts, vanished, everything perished. All gods like Brahma, gandharvas, yaksas, kinnaras, fiends, demons, serpents, men and goblins, beasts, birds, insects, all immovable and movable objects, all of them were not looked at by Laksmi, that mother of the world. All of them were reduced to poverty and experienced misery. Gods, oppressed by hunger and thirst, and being dispirited, cried. Clouds did not shower. All reservoirs of water were dry. All the trees became dry, and were without flowers and fruits. Then gods, along with fiends, demons and goblins, being oppressed by hunger and thirst, went to Brahma of unlimited vigour, and said to him, the grandsire, the lord of the god of gods and born in a lotus:

The gods said:

19-21a. O venerable one, the three worlds are oppressed by hunger and thirst. No oblations are offered into fire to a deity. The (three worlds) are without all religious practices. All gods, demons and human beings, oppressed by hunger and thirst, have sought the shelter of you, the protector, the lord of all worlds. O lord of gods, please protect the creatures oppressed by hunger and thirst.

Rudra said:

21b-22a. Hearing these words of (i.e. uttered by) them he who respected others and who was the grandsire of all worlds, being very much pleased, spoke to them all:

Brahma said:

22b-27. Listen, O all gods, demons, gandharvas and men. All this has come to (us) due to Indra’s misdeed. This great, fearful fire of universal destruction has come up. O gods, since that very high-minded Durvasas became angry, all the three worlds perished due to his anger. The silly one, with his mind full of anger, and excited by anger, has said: “Let the three worlds and Laksmi, disappear." Due to his curse goddess Laksmi, dear to Visnu, the mother and the supporter of the worlds, the great goddess, disappeared. The mother of the worlds, due to being looked at by whose glance the worlds become happy, did not look at (i.e. cared for) the worlds experiencing misery.

28-32. Therefore, all of us will go to Visnu, the excellent one, staying in the Milky Ocean, and will worship the eternal god. When the lord of gods is pleased, this world will be happy.

Deciding like this in his mind, Brahma, accompanied by hosts of gods, went to the Milky Ocean with sages like Bhrgu. On the northern coast of the Milky Ocean, the deities like Brahma, Rudra etc. worshipped Visnu according to rules laid down for worshipping the god. Muttering the eight-syllabled formula, and the Purusa-sukta, and meditating on him with undistracted minds, they offered oblations to the highest god. They praised him with divine hymns and saluted him in various ways.

33-36. Then the venerable one, being pleased and being praised by great sages, stood within the sight of all gods (i.e. appeared before them). Seeing the mighty lord of all worlds, who was full of all gods, who had mounted upon Garuda, who had held a conch, a disc and a mace, who had worn a yellow garment, who had four arms, whose eyes resembled lotuses, who had Srivatsa and Kaustubha (marks) on his chest, who was adorned with a garland of wood-flowers, who was graced with a crown, a necklace, armlets and anklets, they praised him with shouts of victory and continually saluted him.

37-38. The revered one kindly said to all the deities: “I am a giver of boons. O gods, choose a boon.” Thus he spoke (to them). Hearing these words, all gods led by Brahma and with the palms of their hands joined, said these words to the god:

The gods said:

39-40. O venerable one, now all these three worlds, along with gods, demons and human beings, are afflicted by hunger and thirst. Therefore, O Visnu, we have sought your shelter. Protect all this world. None else would ever be able (to protect it).

Rudra said:

41. Acyuta, the highest lord, thus addressed by all deities, thought and spoke to these gods led by Brahma, these words:

The lord said:

42-46. Due to the curse of the son of the sage Atri Laksmi disappeared. The world will be endowed with grandeur due to her looking at it with (i.e. casting) her glance. Therefore, O gods, all of you led by Siva and Brahma, extract the Mandara mountain, and put it into the Milky Ocean. O gods, making the Mandara mountain encircled by the king of serpents, the churning rod, churn with the (help of) the fiends, gandharvas and demons, the Ocean. Then Laksmi will appear for the protection of the world. There is no doubt that you, looked at by her, will be very lucky. Concealed (in the Ocean) in the form of a tortoise I myself shall hold the (Mandara) mountain, and entering with my strength into all gods (I shall make them) stronger.  

Rudra said:

47-48. O you of lotus-like eyes, when all the deities were thus addressed by Visnu, they, led by Brahma, spoke to the lord of gods: “Well, well.” Being praised by best gods, and saluted by all the worlds, venerable, glorious Acyuta, the prop and the god of all, looking equally everywhere, vanished.

Chapter Two Hundred Thirty-Two: The Rise of Goddess Laksmi

Sankara said: 1-6. Then all the hosts of gods and the very powerful demons extracted the Mandara mountain and put it into the Milky Ocean. Then the powerful lord Visnu, the creator of the beings, and of unlimited valour, supported, in the form of a tortoise, the mountain. The eternal, immutable, omniscient one, whose body has no beginning, middle or end, who is of a universal form, who is the lord of the worlds fit to be worshipped, supported the excellent mountain with one arm only. Then all gods and demons churned the Ocean, after encircling the Mandara mountain with the lord of serpents. Then when the Milky Ocean was being churned by the very powerful deities for generating (i.e. taking out) Laksmi, all the great sages fasted, observed restrictions and also muttered Srisukta.

7-10. The divine excellent brahmanas recited (the hymn Visnu-) Sahasranama. All the sages who desired to mutter (the formula of) Laksmi-Narayana-Visnu, fasted on the Ekadasi day of the bright fortnight when the great ocean was being churned and muttered the excellent Sri-hymn. The topmost brahmanas, the best sages meditated upon and worshipped (the deity). Then at that time when the great ocean was being churned, at first there came up the very strong Kalakuta poison which was very painful, very fierce, and which was like the fire of universal destruction.

11-15. Seeing (it), all gods and demons, being frightened, fled away. O you of beautiful eyes, then seeing the best gods frightened and fleeing away, I said to them: “O you all hosts of gods, do not be afraid of the poison. I shall drink this strong poison, Kalakuta.” Thus addressed by me, all the gods, led by Indra and bowing, very much praised me with the words ‘Well, Well'. On seeing the strong poison, like a cloud, having come up I meditated in my heart upon the eagle-bannered god Visnu, resembling the rising sun and holding a conch, a disc, and a mace.

16-21. Having meditated (i.e. when I meditated) with a concentrated mind upon that lord along with Sri and Bhumi, having earrings of gold purified by fire, remover of all miseries, and on my having muttered the great hymn of the name and form (of Visnu) along with Mahalaksmi, all that poison, which was very fierce, which was the first one, which was fearful to all, which was (capable of) destroying all the worlds, was digested (by me) due to the three names of Visnu, the omnipresent one. He who, being retrained, would devoutly mutter the three names of Visnu, viz. Acyuta, Ananta, Govinda, beginning with Pranava (i.e. Om) and (also) ending with Om, has no fear of death, so also the great fear due to poison, disease and fire. The wise, restrained one, who would mutter the great hymn—the three names—does not have fear of Death; then from where else (can he have it)? Thus with (the muttering of) the three names I drank that poison.

22-24a. Then the gods, pleased and very much amazed, praised me. Having saluted me the gods again churned the Milky Ocean. O beautiful lady, when the ocean was being churned by me and the gods, Jyestha Devi, covered with gems, wreaths and garments came up. When the goddess came up, she said; "What should I do?” Then all the hosts of gods repeatedly said to the goddess:

Gods said:

24b-32. We give you the place in the charming interior of the house of those where quarrel takes place. Having inauspicious (qualities), live there. Giving misery and poverty to them who, being liars, always speak harsh words, and who of impure hearts, sleep in the evening, stay in their house. There is no doubt that you will always stay at that place where there will be potsherds, hair, ash, bones, fire of the chaff or charcoal. O you inauspicious one, always live, along with Kali, in that house which is marked by potsherds, bones, ash, hair etc. O great goddess, resort to him who, the stupid one, very much covered with sin, sips water without cleaning his feet. People cleaning their teeth with chaff, charcoal, potsherd, stone, sand, (a piece of) garment, (or of) hide, will be (i.e. are) mean. O goddess, causing poverty, always live in the house of those who eat sesamum, flesh of animals struck with a poisoned weapon, kalinga, pot-herb, garlic, mushrooms, vidvaraha, bilva, kosataki-fruit, bottle-gourd, and onions.

Rudra said:

33-45. Having thus ordered Jyestha, dear to Kali, all the gods, well-composed, again churned the Milky Ocean. O you of an auspicious face, then goddess Varuni came up. Ananta, the lord of serpents, took her of beautiful eyes. Then Sura (spirituous liquor), adorned with all ornaments, came up. She graced with all (auspicious) marks became the wife of Garuda. Then bevies of celestial nymphs and divine and very strong gandharvas endowed with handsomeness and engaged in sweet singing, came up. Then Airavata came up. Then the horse Uccaihsravas came up. Then came up Dhanvantari, Parijata and Surabhi giving all desired objects. Indra with a pleased mind accepted all these. Then in the morning when the sun rose on the Dvadasi day, and when the Ocean was again churned by gods led by Indra, Sri, Mahalaksmi, the auspicious goddess of all the worlds, being praised by great sages with pleasing faces, came up. She resembled a crore of young suns, and was adorned with golden armlets. She was seated on a golden lotus and was graced with all (auspicious) marks. Her eyes were large like lotus-petals. Her hair was dark and curly. Her body was smeared with divine sandal. She was adorned with divine flowers. She had (put on) all divine ornaments decked with various jewels. Her waist was slender. She was the mother of the world. Her breasts were stout and raised. She had four hands. Her eyes were large. Her face was like the full moon. She held with her lotus-like hands adorned with all ornaments, a pot of jewels, citron, and an auspicious couple of golden lotuses. On her bosom she wore a garland of unfaded lotuses. They saw that great goddess, desiring the good of all worlds.

46-54. Seeing her, the controller of all beings, the mother having a lotus-garland, Narayani, world’s mother, having a place in the heart of Visnu, all the deities were pleased. In heaven groups of gods beat drums strongly. The sylvan deities continuously showered flowers. The chief gandharvas sang and bevies of celestial damsels danced. So also auspicious breezes blew. The sun was very bright. The fires burnt noiselessly; the ten directions were bright. Then from the Milky Ocean the Moon came up. He, Soma (i.e. the Moon), the brother of the mother (Laksmi), was pleasant. The Moon, the lord of the stars, became the maternal uncle of the world. Then Tulasi, Visnu’s wife, purifying the world, and the mother of the world came up for the worship of Visnu. Then all the gods, with their minds pleased and all desires fulfilled, put (back) the (Mandara) mountain as before (in its own place), and led by Siva and Brahma, approached the mother (i.e., Laksmi). Having praised her with the (hymn Visnu-) sahasranama, they recited the text of the Srisukta. Then, O goddess, she, being pleased, said to all gods:

Sri said:

55a. O best gods, ask for a boon. Well-being to you. I am a giver of boons.

Rudra said:

55b. With their figures bent and palms of their hands joined, the gods said to Laksmi:

The gods said:

56-59a. O Kamala, O goddess, O you dear to all gods, be pleased. Always rest on Visnu’s chest. Never go away (from there). O goddess, always look after the three worlds. O highest goddess, you, to whose glances the entire immovable and movable world resorts, are eternal. Gods, looked at (with favour) by you, are powerful. You are the mother of gods like Rudra. (Their) splendour is due to your glance. We desire this, O goddess. Salutation to you, O mother of the world.

Rudra said:

59b-62a. Thus addressed by all deities, the great goddess, the mother of the world, the one dear to Visnu, said to the gods: “Let it be so.” Then Visnu, lord of Sri, holding a conch, a disc and a mace, manifested himself as before in the Milky Ocean. Then the gods, having saluted Visnu, praised him. All the auspicious (gods) with their faces delighted and with the palms of their hands joined said:

The gods said:

62b-63a. O lord of all, accept the goddess Laksmi, never leaving you, as your dear queen for the protection of the world.

Rudra said:

63b-70. Having said like this, all gods led by Brahma and along with the sages, and with their eyes full of tears of joy, placed the goddess and the god, adorned with divine garments, divine wreath and various jewels, on a divine seat, full of various jewels and resembling the young sun, and worshipped Visnu seated with Laksmi. They also worshipped the goddess with sandal, incense, lights, and offerings of eatables full of nectar, and with extraordinary fruits. Goddess Tulasi, delicate and auspicious, came up from the nectar. With that they properly worshipped Laksmi's couple of feet. Gods overcome with tears full of joy, having gone round him, keeping him to their right, three times, and having saluted him, praised him with eulogies. Then venerable Visnu was pleased. With Laksmi, the lord gave them boons desired (by them). Then gods, men and others were very much delighted. They were purified by Laksmi's glances. They had profuse grains and wealth. Being extremely healthy, they obtained great happiness.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Ancien Regime