Stochastic Terrorism

Gathered together in one place, for easy access, an agglomeration of writings and images relevant to the Rapeutation phenomenon.

Re: Stochastic Terrorism

Postby admin » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:16 am

Capitol bomb threat suspect charged with threatening to use a weapon of mass destruction
by Christina Carrega, Marshall Cohen and Tierney Sneed
CNN
Updated 5:36 PM ET, Fri August 20, 2021
capitol threat suspected explosives suspect nobles dnt ac360 vpx_00011030

'It's my land': Bomb threat suspect livestreams grievances on Facebook 03:24

(CNN)The Justice Department has charged Capitol bomb threat suspect Floyd Ray Roseberry with threatening to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to use an explosive device, a judge said Friday.

The charges were unsealed during Roseberry's first court appearance in DC District Court. Roseberry, who identified himself as 51, is currently in jail, and prosecutors say they will seek to keep him behind bars while his case progresses in court.

Roseberry, who was taken into custody after allegedly threatening to detonate a bomb near the US Capitol on Thursday.

The day before, a person related to Roseberry warned local law enforcement in North Carolina that he was planning to travel to Washington, DC, or Virginia to "conduct acts of violence," according to court documents unsealed Friday.

A local official from Cleveland County, North Carolina, who was not named in court documents, contacted the FBI on Thursday as events were unfolding in Washington. The detail was revealed Friday in an affidavit in support of the criminal complaint filed against Roseberry.

The person related to Roseberry, unnamed in the affidavit, also reported to the North Carolina official that Roseberry "had stated that he 'ordered a trench coat to protect him from Taser and pepper ball guns and he would just tip his cowboy hat at the police,'" according to the affidavit.

Roseberry appeared in a teleconference before US Magistrate Judge Zia Faruqui on Friday afternoon. The hearing was kept brief as questions were raised about the health of Roseberry, whom authorities had identified as being 49 years old on Thursday. Roseberry told the judge he had not, in the last two days, taken his medications for his blood pressure and for his "mind."

"My concern is that the defendant has stated that he is unable to understand the proceedings today without his medication," Faruqui said during the hearing, and the judge ordered a psychological evaluation.

During a standoff with police on Thursday, Roseberry ranted about access to health care and other political matters, pushing several right-wing talking points about immigrants and Democrats. He did not have any outbursts during Friday's court hearing and praised the judge who was handling the virtual proceedings.

"We don't have to see each other eye-to-eye," Roseberry told the judge. "I can tell in your voice that you're a good man. And I don't have to not trust you. I'm willing to do whatever you ask."

At the hearing, the judge appointed David Bos, a public defender, to represent Roseberry.

The Thursday incident prompted multiple buildings in the area to be evacuated as authorities responded to an "active bomb threat investigation," the US Capitol Police wrote on Twitter.

USCP said in a news release later Thursday that no bomb was found in Roseberry's truck but that he did possess suspected bomb-making material. DC Police said in a tweet that the vehicle he was driving had been "cleared," and that road closures near the scene were lifted. USCP Chief Tom Manger, who told reporters on Thursday that authorities couldn't yet identify a motive, said that so far there is "no indication" Roseberry was acting with others.

Roseberry had been live-streaming from the scene, Manger said. A roughly half-hour Facebook video showed him inside a truck, holding a cannister that he said was a bomb and speaking about a "revolution." The video and Roseberry's Facebook profile have since been removed.
On Roseberry's now-removed Facebook page, he frequently made pro-Trump posts and posted videos from Trump's "Million MAGA March" on November 14.

The next hearing in Roseberry's case is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.

If convicted on the bomb threat charge, Roseberry could face life in prison, the judge said. If convicted on the second count, attempting to use an explosive device, the maximum penalty would be 10 years in prison.

This story has been updated with additional reporting.

CNN's Whitney Wild, Devan Cole, Lauren Fox, Daniella Diaz, Annie Grayer, Hannah Rabinowitz and Olanma Mang contributed to this report.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:22 am

Suspect in Capitol bomb threat echoed 'Big Lie,' demanded free health insurance
In hours of livestreamed videos, Floyd Ray Roseberry demanded Democrats step down and complained about illegal immigrants getting health insurance.

Jordan Fischer
Published: 5:18 PM EDT August 19, 2021
Updated: 1:37 PM EDT August 20, 2021

WASHINGTON — In hours of live-streamed video Thursday, a North Carolina man ranted against President Joe Biden, Democrats, illegal immigrants and the health care system while daring federal agents to shoot him – the trigger, he said, to detonate a bomb inside of the truck he’d parked outside of the Library of Congress.

Congressional staffers were alerted to a suspicious building on the Capitol campus around 10 a.m. Thursday morning. Capitol police eventually decided to evacuate several office buildings – including the Madison, Jefferson and Cannon buildings – and businesses and residents in the immediate surrounding area as police attempted to negotiate with a man they identified Thursday afternoon as 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry, of Grover, North Carolina.

Roseberry was eventually taken into custody without incident around 2 p.m. Investigators said they did not find an explosive device in his truck, but did find "possible bomb-making materials."

In multiple livestreams to his Facebook page beginning around 7 a.m. Thursday, Roseberry vented a litany of complaints, ranging from the quality of modern coinage – at one point saying “Your pennies are rotting, Joe!” – to the American treatment of Afghans during the ongoing troop withdrawal. He also repeatedly called on Biden, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats to step down.

“You step down out of office, I’ll step down out of this truck,” Roseberry said. “You go home. I’ll go to federal prison.”

CONFIRMED. Deputy Chief Philip Todd of the Cleveland County, NC Sheriffs Office confirms the man seen live-streaming on Facebook is man being investigated for sitting in a truck full of explosives outside US Capitol, Floyd Ray Roseberry. FBI, Homeland questioning wife @wusa9 pic.twitter.com/87wG9XuzxX

— Eric Flack (@EricFlackTV) August 19, 2021

In his videos, Roseberry said he was “picked by the American [expletive] people to come up here and take a stand.” Much of his ranting was directed specifically at Biden and suggested he believed in the baseless election fraud conspiracy theories pushed by former President Donald Trump and other prominent Republicans that Biden was not legally elected.

“I just got chose for the job. Unlike you,” Roseberry said. “This ain’t about politics. I don’t care if Donald Trump ever becomes president again. I think y'all Democrats need to step down. Y'all need to understand people don’t want you there.”

The truck Roseberry drove from North Carolina was filled with bags and tubs of loose change apparently designed to turn the vehicle into a huge IED. Roseberry was vague about the nature of the supposed explosive device. At one point he claimed he had a “toolbox full of ammonium nitrate.” At another, he said police should ask their experts “what a 7-pound beg of gunpowder would do with 2.5-lbs. of Tannerite.”

“Biden, there’s a change shortage for a reason. I’ve got it all. I got loads of it,” Roseberry said. “And it don’t take but a half a roll of nickel to equal a .50-caliber bullet. And I’m telling you, they come in, they start shooting this window out… this bomb’s going off.”

Roseberry stated at times that he had driven up alone to “build the foundation of the revolution,” and at others that he was one of five people in explosive-laden vehicles around D.C. As of Thursday afternoon, police had not confirmed the existence of any other suspicious vehicles in the District.

“Southern boys are here,” Roseberry said. “You can take me out. But when you do, you know what’s going to happen Joe Biden? There’s going to be a chain reaction. And that chain reaction’s going to be on your hands.”

‘Where’s your insurance at, Biden?’

While Roseberry at times attempted to paint himself variously as the embodiment of “the South” or as a handpicked representative of the American people, much of his motivation seemed to derive from a personal animus against the U.S. health care system.

"We do know Mr. Roseberry has had some losses of family. I believe his mother recently passed away," U.S. Capitol Police Chief J. Thomas Manger said in a press conference Thursday.

Roseberry’s mother died of cancer, he said in one of his streams, and his wife had been denied insurance coverage for treatment of an unspecified cancer on her face. He claimed he had recently been denied coverage as well for shots “just so I can walk.”

“I went to the doctor yesterday to get some of those cell therapy shots they’ve been bragging about giving to athletes all these years. The doctor says, ‘No shots today. Insurance don’t cover it anymore,’” Roseberry said. “My wife goes to the doctor. She’s got cancer. And they told her it wouldn’t cover it anymore because it’s cosmetic. It’s on her face. Where’s your insurance at Biden? Obama? You keep on letting all these illegal Mexicans in here, all these illegal immigrants in here from Afghanistan… we’re going to have free health care for us. You’re [expletive] giving it to them. The South’s fed up!”

Roseberry’s home state of North Carolina is one of a dozen states with Republican-controlled legislatures that have not yet adopted expanded Medicaid eligibility granted by the Obama-Biden administration’s signature health care legislation, the Affordable Care Act. In states that have adopted expansion, the law allows households to qualify for Medicaid coverage if their income is below 133% of the federal poverty level – roughly $35,000 a year for a family of four. Roseberry was registered as a Republican when he voted in the 2016 and 2020 general elections, according to a public records search.

Capitol bomb threat suspect Floyd Roseberry spent a lot of time on stream talking about his insurance woes. But the registered Republican comes from a state, North Carolina, where his own party has blocked the ACA's Medicaid expansion. Map via @KFF: https://t.co/1V3IknYFQt pic.twitter.com/jTMjkFG3ly

— Jordan Fischer (@JordanOnRecord) August 19, 2021

Those same records showed no significant property assets in Roseberry’s name – but a history of financial troubles. Court records show he filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy in 1998, which establishes a payment plan for unpaid debts, and then Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2000. Chapter 7 bankruptcy allows a trustee to sell off whatever assets are available to pay off creditors. His most recent employment was listed as an assistant supervisor at a women’s apparel manufacturer.

North Carolina court records show Roseberry has a limited criminal history. He was found guilty of obstruction of police in 1993 and sentenced to 60 days in jail and 2 years of supervised probation. In 2000 he was charged with assault on a female, but the case was resolved in mediation and the charges were dismissed.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:59 pm

Capitol Police officer who killed Ashli Babbitt on January 6 speaks publicly for first time: 'I know that day I saved countless lives'
by Marshall Cohen, CNN
Updated 6:19 PM ET, Fri August 27, 2021

(CNN)The veteran US Capitol Police officer who killed pro-Trump rioter Ashli Babbitt went public Thursday, revealing his identity and defending his actions on January 6.

"I know that day I saved countless lives," Lt. Michael Byrd said in an interview with "NBC Nightly News." "I know members of Congress, as well as my fellow officers and staff, were in jeopardy and in serious danger. And that's my job."

The officer fatally shot Babbitt in the shoulder while she climbed through a window that led into the Speaker's Lobby, adjacent to the House chamber, while lawmakers were evacuating.

"I tried to wait as long as I could," Byrd said of the incident in the doorway. "I hoped and prayed no one tried to enter through those doors. But their failure to comply required me to take the appropriate action to save the lives of members of Congress and myself and my fellow officers."

The Justice Department said in April that Byrd wouldn't be criminally charged in connection with Babbitt's death, and the US Capitol Police said last week that he wouldn't face any internal discipline. He could still face civil litigation from Babbitt's family, which has threatened a lawsuit.

A Washington native who has been in law enforcement for 28 years, Byrd said he followed his training and repeatedly yelled at the mob, telling them to stop their advance toward the House chamber.

He said he was "taking a tactical stance" with his gun drawn while the mob approached. "You're ultimately hoping that your commands would be complied with. Unfortunately, they were not."

'I just want the truth to be told'

In the seven months since the insurrection, former President Donald Trump and his allies have attempted to frame a narrative around Babbitt's death and turned her into a martyr in right-wing circles.

Trump said Babbitt, a QAnon supporter and Air Force veteran, was an "innocent, wonderful, incredible woman." During a Fox News interview, Trump also falsely accused the officer of shooting Babbitt in the head. Republican lawmakers also peddled misleading claims about the incident, claiming Byrd was "lying in wait" to kill Babbitt and "executed" her in cold blood.

In the interview with "NBC Nightly News," Byrd said Trump's comments were "disheartening," and denied that he acted out of political animus. He protected Trump during his presidency when he visited the Capitol.

"I hope they understand I did my job," Byrd said of the Republicans who've criticized him. "There was imminent threat and danger to the members of Congress. I just want the truth to be told."

Many of the conspiracies have been fueled by the lack of transparency from Capitol Police and the investigators who reviewed the incident. Byrd spoke out on his own accord and has never been named by any government entity, even though it's common in many jurisdictions for police departments to publicly release the names of officers who are involved in fatal shootings.

Uncertainty about Byrd's identity created a new rallying cry -- "who shot Ashli Babbitt?" -- which Trump has brought up at recent rallies. Byrd's name has been floating around right-wing websites, and he said in the at-times emotional interview Thursday that he and his family have received death threats, including racist threats.

"They talked about killing me, cutting off my head," said Byrd.

In interviews with CNN earlier this year, Babbitt's family said she was "patriotic" and was at the Capitol to "express her First Amendment right and to answer the call of a still-sitting President."

The family says it's considering a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against Byrd, and they've already filed a civil lawsuit seeking records and other information from the police about the incident.

Their lawyer, Terry Roberts, said in an interview with Zenger News that he believed Byrd was unfit to serve or carry a gun in the Capitol. He also condemned the US Capitol Police for never publicly naming Byrd, which he claimed without evidence was kept secret because Byrd is Black.

"The US Congress wants to protect this man. He's got friends in high places and they want to protect him," Roberts said in the interview. "And they've done a pretty good job of it. ... I don't think it's a proud moment for the US Capitol Police or the US Congress."

This story has been updated with additional details.

Mary Trump Calls Out Right Wing Fixation On Black Officer Who Shot Ashli Babbitt
The ReidOut
Aug 27, 2021

[Racist Pig-In-Chief Donald Trump] You know, if that were on the other side, the person that did the shooting would be strung up and hung!

How white Americans used lynchings to terrorize and control black people

For months before Lt. Michael Byrd revealed his identity as the officer who fatally shot Capitol insurrectionist Ashli Babbit in an interview with NBC News, the former president and his allies had been relentlessly focused on him. Mary Trump, Donald Trump’s niece and the author of “The Reckoning: Our Nation’s Trauma and Finding a Way to Heal," and Cedric Alexander, a former member of President Obama's task force on 21st century policing, join Joy Reid with their analysis.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:34 am

Boebert and Gaetz under fire over ‘joke’ about blowing up Capitol metal detectors at rally: ‘Is it tannerite or C4 we want to put in those metal detectors when we blow them up?’
by Gustaf Kilander
Independent.co.uk
November 1, 2021

Florida Rep Matt Gaetz talks about blowing up the metal detectors in the Capitol

Colorado Republican Representative Lauren Boebert and her fellow GOP House member, Matt Gaetz from Florida, have come under fire for joking about blowing up the Capitol metal detectors.

Mr Gaetz was speaking at a rally for Florida State Representative and Congressional candidate Anthony Sabatini on Sunday when he falsely claimed that the metal detectors were installed because of Ms Boebert, who carries a firearm.

The metal detectors were installed following the Capitol riot on 6 January when a mob of Trump supporters laid siege to the building in an attempt to stop Congress from certifying President Joe Biden’s election victory.

“My friend Lauren Boebert from Colorado – they put in metal detectors on the floor of the House ... because she’s a five-foot-nothing woman, she carries a firearm for her personal protection,” Mr Gaetz told rallygoers.

“They got triggered by that. I said, ‘Is it tannerite or C4 we want to put in those metal detectors when we blow them up?’” he added.

PatriotTakes
*patriottakes
Matt Gaetz talks about blowing up the metal detectors in the House with Tannerite or C4.
11:53 AM Oct 31, 2021
[x]

“I’ll bring the Tannerite!” Ms Boebert tweeted on Sunday evening. “To the fools who think this would be done inside the Capitol: get a life! The metal detectors are useless and we are getting rid of them when Republicans take back the House,” Ms Boebert later added as Twitter users started tagging the FBI, the Secret Service, the Justice Department, and other institutions in their responses to Ms Boebert and Mr Gaetz.

@teacheranddancer
@BlackboardLover
Nothing to see here, just 2 congress members talking in code about using explosives at the Capitol. Where is the DOJ and the FBI????!!!
Lauren Boebert@laurenboebert
I'll bring the Tannerite! twitter.com/mattgaetz/stat...

6:57 PM Oct 31, 2021

“Are any of you paying attention to the likes of Lauren Boebert and Matt Gaetz?” one Twitter user asked as they tagged the federal agencies. “They claim these are jokes, but we know damn good and well that we ordinary citizens would be arrested in a heartbeat for such ‘joking’.”

The Hoarse Whisperer
@TheRealHoarse
Threatening to bomb the Capitol
Where is @TwitterSafety?

6:50 PM Oct 31, 2021

“This is the very rhetoric that put our country at risk on Jan 6th,” another account holder wrote. “They claim it is joking, but they know their supporters only need a spark to get someone moving in a direction. These are not funny ‘jokes’.”

Mueller, She Wrote
@MuellerSheWrote
Oh. Just @laurenboebert and @RepMattGaetz threatening to detonate a bomb inside the capitol. Totally cool with @TwitterSupport @FBIWFO

7:07 PM Oct. 31, 2021

“I honest to God did not think this was a real tweet until I looked up your account,” Paul Swinebaum wrote. “@GOP Members of Congress are discussing acts of domestic terrorism. @POTUS @VP @SpeakerPelosi It’s past time to invoke Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, for several @GOP members of Congress.”

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment states that a person who has “engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the” US “or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof” shouldn’t be allowed to hold any office of power.

Damin Toell is BrooklynDad_Bod!
@damintoell
I'm not one of the "oh my dear, the norms!" types, but members of Congress joking about using explosives in the Capitol may be a touch unusual.

5:25 PM Oct 31, 2021
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:43 am

'Absolutely disgraceful': Calls for Republican Rep Paul Gosar to be removed from office after he posted a disturbing and violent anime video of him slashing firebrand progressive AOC on Twitter
by Michelle Thompson
DailyMail.com
PUBLISHED: 23:14 EST, 8 November 2021 | UPDATED: 03:31 EST, 9 November 2021

• Republican Rep. Paul Gosar shared an anime video on Twitter that depicts him slashing Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and lunging toward President Joe Biden
• It's not clear what prompted the Arizona lawmaker to post the video, which was viewed 2.8 million times and shared by nearly 28,000 users as of Monday night
• Ocasio-Cortez responded to the video, calling Gosar 'creepy' and saying he'll 'face no consequences' for sharing the violent cartoon online
• Twitter users called the 'lunatic' lawmaker out for posting the video, and said he should be booted from the social media platform and removed from congress

A Republican lawmaker is facing calls to resign after he posted a disturbing and violent anime video of him slashing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez with a sword.

Republican Rep. Paul Gosar posted the disturbing video on Twitter on Sunday showing a sword-wielding character with Gosar's superimposed face using a jetpack to soar onto a rooftop before attacking AOC.

He slashes the New York liberal across the back of the neck, drawing a spray of blood and prompting the blonde-haired anime character to slump down.

Gosar is shown toward the end of the cartoon lunging toward President Joe Biden's head with a sword.

Ocasio-Cortez responded to the viral video on Monday from Scotland, where she's attending a climate summit.

'So while I was en route to Glasgow, a creepy member I work with who fundraises for Neo-Nazi groups shared a fantasy video of him killing me,' she tweeted. 'And he'll face no consequences bc cheers him on with excuses.'

She added: 'Well, back to work bc institutions don't protect [women of color].'

The video which had received more than 3 million views Monday night has since been deleted by Twitter for breaking its 'hateful content.'

Ocasio-Cortez (pictured: recent social media updates on her Instagram from Scotland) ripped her political nemesis after Gosar's sick video was viewed more than 2.6 million times as of Monday night

WATCH THE FULL VIDEO

Gosar in the video uses a jetpack to reach Ocasio-Cortez on the rooftop before attacking her

Gosar's character then drops down from the air to cut open AOC's anime character

She's slashed with a sword before Gosar jets away and later lunges toward President Joe Biden

Swords pointing upward historically indicate battle or conflict or the readiness for battle or conflict. One example of this is modern fencing where a swordsman holds the sword point upward to indicate his readiness. Swords pointing downward represent peace, rest or the end of conflict.

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC
So while I was en route to Glasgow, a creepy member I work with who fundraises for Neo-Nazi groups shared a fantasy video of him killing me.
And he'll face no consequences bc #GOPLeader cheers him on with excuses.
Fun Monday! Well, back to work bc institutions don't protect woc

Ocasio-Cortez responded to his video from Scotland, where she's attending a climate summit

Rep. Paul Gosar, DDS $RepGosar Nov 7
This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules about hateful conduct. However, Twitter has determined that it may be in the public's interest for the Tweet to remain accessible. Learn more

Gosar's violent tweet has since been deleted by Twitter for 'violating rules about hateful content'

Republican Rep. Paul Gosar posted a bizarre anime video on Twitter that showed him slashing the back of Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Some Twitter users are calling for the 'lunatic' politician to be removed from the platform – and booted from congress.

'Under [no] circumstances should his fantasies of killing people be swept away,' tweeted @fred_guttenberg, whose daughter Jaime was killed during a Parkland, Florida, school shooting.

'We know he is a lunatic. America, we better vote in 2022 for Democrats or he will be in leadership.'

Gosar's Twitter settings prohibit anyone the politician isn't following from directly commenting, and just three of the 4,529 connections who had the opportunity to speak up did so.

'Best Congressman,' said @RepGosarFan. 'Best timeline.'

The Internet's latest death fantasy angered scores of Twitter users.

'Republican @RepGosar has shared a photoshopped animated video that depicts him killing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,' tweeted @KaivanShroff.

''Absolutely disgraceful. He should be removed from committee assignments just as Marjorie Taylor Greene was.'

Added @DHStokyo: 'I am here to say that I don't want radicalized Republicans who get off on fantasies of violence towards their colleagues, nor their party leaders who ignore it, anywhere near my government.'

It's no secret that Gosar, a staunch Donald Trump supporter, and Ocasio-Cortez with her socialist leanings don't see eye-to-eye.

The politicians from the opposite sides of the political spectrum disagree on just about everything, from vaccine mandates and immigration to universal health care and the Capitol riots.

AOC – who frequently draws the ire of right-leaning pundits and politicians – has previously detailed safety concerns related to her high-profile job.

She revealed in a 2019 Time magazine interview that enough people have threatened to kill her that her staff has been trained to evaluate visitors to her Capitol Hill office — even people who just leave Post-It notes on the plaque in the hallway.

Earlier this year, she recalled hiding in her office's bathroom during the January 6 Capitol riots after hearing that someone was after her.

Kaivan Shroff
@KaivanShroff
NEW: Republican @RepGosar has shared a photoshopped animated video that depicts him killing Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez. Absolutely disgraceful.
He should be removed from committee assignments just as Marjorie Taylor Green was.
2:06 PM Nov 8, 2021

One Twitter user called Gosar's video 'absolutely disgraceful' and said he should be removed from committee assignments

Fred Guttenberg
@fred_guttenberg
@RepGosar should be kicked out of Congress. Under know circumstances should his fantasies of killing people be swept away. We know he is a lunatic. America, we better vote in 2022 for Democrats or he will be in @gop leadership

Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter Jaime was killed during a Parkland, Florida, school shooting called Gosar a 'lunatic' and said he should be kicked out of Congress

Tokyo Sand
@DHStokyo
I'm not sharing what @RepGosar tweeted.
I am here to say that I don't want radicalized Republicans who get off on fantasies of violence towards their colleagues, nor their party leaders who ignore it, anywhere near my government.
GET OUT!
6:40 PM Nov 8, 2021

User @DHStokyo said he doesn't want 'radicalized Republicans who get off on fantasies towards their colleagues' anywhere near his government

'I just hear these yells of 'Where is she? Where is she?' Ocasio-Cortez said. 'This was the moment where I thought everything was over. I thought I was going to die.'

The congresswoman then revealed it was a Capitol Police officer who was there to secure her office - but claimed that the cop 'was looking at me with a tremendous amount of anger and hostility.'

'I didn't know if he was there to help us or hurt us,' she said.

She ended up sheltering in place in her colleague Rep. Katie Porter's office.

Rep. Gosar's 'Despicable' Attack On AOC Blasted By His Own Sister
by Lawrence O'Donnell
MSNBC
Nov 8, 2021

Jennifer Gosar, sister of GOP Arizona Rep. Paul Gosar, excoriated her own brother for a social media post including a photoshopped video depicting Gosar assassinating Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and threatening Pres. Joe Biden.

Jennifer Gosar, one of Paul’s nine siblings, called into MSNBC’s The Last Word to give her opinion on the video.

“What is wrong with him? And is it getting worse?” asked host Lawrence O’Donnell.

“Yes, it has been getting worse, because he has not been held accountable in way, shape, or form.” she promptly replied. “He has not been censured, he has not been expelled, he has not had his seat forfeited by any of leadership.” She went on to criticize Kevin McCarthy, Mitch McConnell, and Chuck Schumer among other leaders for failing to take any action against her brother.

“Where these people? Does he need to act on his sociopathic fantasy for Representative Ocasio-Cortez? I am very concerned for she and other members and this is absolutely unacceptable.”

Jennifer thanked O’Donnell for having her on the show and said that she appreciates “any opportunity to put a spotlight on this awful man.”

“Is there one policy that Paul has ever brought to his district? The answer is no. What he’s expounding upon in his sick fantasies is that fact that he cannot even approach the intellect of AOC or meet her intelligence,” she continued. “He’s getting worse and it must be stopped.”
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:01 am

Gosar Censured Over AOC Murder Video, As AOC Slams GOP: “What Is So Hard About Saying This Is Wrong?”
by Amy Goodman
DemocracyNow!
NOVEMBER 18, 2021
https://www.democracynow.org/2021/11/18 ... ouse_floor

Republican Congressmember Paul Gosar is the first lawmaker to be censured in more than a decade for posting an animated video on social media where he murders Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and attacks President Biden. The U.S. House of Representatives also voted Tuesday to censure Gosar and strip him of committee assignments. He has refused to apologize and after the vote he retweeted the video. Speaking from the House floor before the vote Congressmember Ocasio-Cortez said: “This is not about me. This is not about Representative Gosar. This is about what we are willing to accept.” The co-sponsor of the censure vote, Congressmember Jackie Speier of California, said “Congressmember Ocasio-Cortez has become the go-to subject of the radical right to stir up their base, as too often is the case for women of color.”

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form.

AMY GOODMAN: This is Democracy Now!, Democracynow.org, the War and Peace Report. I’m Amy Goodman. The House voted to censure Republican Congressmember Paul Gosar for posting an animated video on social media where he murders Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and attacks President Biden. Just two Republicans voted in favor of the censure, Adam Kinzinger, who said he’s not going to run again, and Congressmember Liz Cheney. Gosar is the first lawmaker to be censured in more than a decade. He was also stripped of his committee assignments. Gosar has refused to apologize and retweeted the violent video after the censure vote.

On Wednesday, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy refused to condemn Gosar and called the censure vote an “abuse of power.”
Shortly after the House minority leader spoke, Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez addressed the House.

REP. ALEXANDRIA OCASIO CORTEZ: I have been serving in this body just under three years. In that three years, an enormous amount has happened. But in response to the Republican leader’s remarks when he says that this action is unprecedented, what I believe is unprecedented is for a member of House leadership of either party to be unable to condemn incitement of violence against a member of this body. It is sad. It is a sad day in which a member who leads a political party in the United States of America cannot bring themselves to say that issuing the depiction of murdering a member of Congress is wrong, and instead, decides to venture off into a tangent about gas prices and inflation. What is so hard? What is so hard about saying that this is wrong?

This is not about me. This is not about Representative Gosar. But this is about what we are willing to accept. Not just the Republican leader, but I have seen other members of this party advance the argument, including Representative Gosar himself, the illusion that this was just a joke. That what we say and what we do does not matter so long as we claim a lack of meaning. Now this nihilism runs deep and it conveys and betrays a certain contempt for the meaning and importance of our work here. That what we do so long as we claim that it is a joke doesn’t matter, that what we say here doesn’t matter, that our actions every day as elected leaders in the United States of America doesn’t matter. That this chamber and what happens in it doesn’t matter. And I am here to rise to say that it does! Our work here matters. Our example matters.

There is meaning in our service. And as leaders in this country, when we incite violence with depictions against our colleagues, that trickles down into violence in this country. And that is where we must draw the line, independent of party, identity or belief. It is about a core recognition of human dignity and value and worth. So when we talk about as mentioned in the resolution that these depictions are part of a larger trend of misogyny and racial misogyny, racist misogyny, this has results in dampening the participation. And so this vote is not as complex as perhaps the Republican leader would like to make folks believe. It is pretty cut and dry. Do you find—does anyone in this chamber find this behavior acceptable? Would you allow depictions of violence against women, against colleagues? Would you allow that in your home? Do you think this should happen on a school board? In a city council? In a church? And if it is not acceptable there, why should it be accepted here?

AMY GOODMAN: That was Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez prior to the vote to censure Republican lawmaker Paul Gosar for posting an animated video on social media where he murders her and attacks President Biden. California Congressmember Jackie Speier also spoke Wednesday, cosponsor of the censure vote. She herself survived the Jonestown Massacre in 1978. She was shot five times. She was then an aide to Congressmember Leo Ryan who was assassinated during the massacre.

REP. JACKIE SPEIER: I take no pleasure in introducing this resolution. No one asked me to introduce it, no one tapped me on the shoulder. I am a victim of violence. I know what it is like. I also was in the gallery clamoring for life when the shots rang out in the Speaker’s Lobby. We are here today because a sitting member thought it was okay—_okay!_—to post a deranged animated video of himself killing a fellow member of this House and also attacking the president of the United States. That video has been seen by three million people. It was up for over two days before it was taken down.

Inciting violence begets violence. Congressman Ocasio-Cortez has become the go-to subject of the radical right to stir up their base, as often is the case for women of color. It is disgusting and profoundly unacceptable. Tragically, the minority leader has not condemned the video. For eight days, he said nothing. Silence speaks volumes. Silence normalizes violence. Violence against women in politics is a global phenomenon. A 2016 survey by the Inter-Parliamentary Union found that 82% of women parliamentarians have experienced psychological violence and 44% have received threats of death, rape, beatings or abduction. The intent of these online threats against women is clear—silence them, strip them of their power and discourage them from running for office.

AMY GOODMAN: California Congressmember Jackie Speier speaking before the 223-207 vote to censure Republican Congressmember Paul Gosar for posting an animated video on social media where he murders Congressmember Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and attacks President Biden. After the rare censure vote, Congressman Gosar retweeted the video.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:04 am

Republicans Mostly Silent Following House Vote To Censure Rep. Gosar
MSNBC
Nov 18, 2021

[Rep. Mondaire Jones, (D) New York] Madam Speaker, not since the Civil War has Congress operated under the constant threat of violence from some of its own members. But here we are! That is the behavior that Mr. Gosar has encouraged. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, having watched so many of my colleagues on the other side of the aisle incite and then express support for the insurrectionists who nearly killed us in this chamber on January 6th. We cannot let the Republican Party make Congress the only workplace in America where violence against your co-workers is not a crime, but a credential. If we don't hold people like Mr. Gosar accountable, we will only embolden the worst people in our politics to bring their fever dreams to life. That is why today we are standing up for the safety of our colleagues, for the safety of Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez, and for the future of our democracy.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:34 am

Fox News Host’s Incendiary Fauci Comments Follow a Network Pattern: Comments by Jesse Watters, a host of “The Five,” were in keeping with previous derogatory remarks about Dr. Anthony Fauci by hosts and conservatives.
by Michael M. Grynbaum

New York Times
Dec. 23, 2021, 3:50 p.m. ET

The Fox News host Jesse Watters used notably violent language this week in urging a gathering of conservatives to publicly confront Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s foremost infectious-disease specialist, who has become a frequent source of criticism on the political right.

Referring to tabloid-style surprise interviews, Mr. Watters said in a speech that activists should “ambush” Dr. Fauci with adversarial questions that he deemed “the kill shot.” Describing the imagined effect of such a filmed confrontation, Mr. Watters added: “Boom! He is dead! He is dead! He’s done!”

Dr. Fauci called the comments “horrible” in an interview with CNN and said Mr. Watters “should be fired on the spot.”

Fox News has not disciplined Mr. Watters for the remarks. The network said in a statement that the comments were “twisted completely out of context” and that “it’s more than clear that Jesse Watters was using a metaphor for asking hard-hitting questions to Dr. Fauci.”

The host’s amped-up language was in keeping with the tone of prominent conservative figures, who for months have routinely and casually referred to Dr. Fauci in bracingly derogatory terms.

Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, who is widely viewed as a leader of the Republican Party, referred to Dr. Fauci as a “Covid authoritarian” in a fund-raising email this week. “We cannot allow our communities to become Faucian dystopias in which people’s freedoms are curtailed and their livelihoods destroyed,” the DeSantis campaign wrote.

Senator Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, described Dr. Fauci as “the most dangerous bureaucrat in the history of the country” during a Fox News interview last month. On Wednesday, Representative Jim Jordan, an Ohio Republican, said on Fox News: “The American people want safe streets, affordable gas and freedom, and the Biden administration has given us record crime, record inflation and Dr. Fauci.”

In April, Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Georgia Republican, introduced the Fire Fauci Act, a bill that, among other measures, would strip Dr. Fauci of his salary. (It has not progressed in Congress.) Former President Donald J. Trump has called Dr. Fauci “a radical masker” and questioned the doctor’s efforts to combat the pandemic.

Dr. Fauci, who turns 81 on Friday, has directed the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984. He is highly respected for his decades of work on pandemics, including the spread of AIDS in the 1980s. He became a household name in 2020 as a leading spokesman for the government’s coronavirus response. But Mr. Trump grew to distrust him while in office, and conservatives now often blame him for their concerns about the handling of the pandemic.

In an interview with The New York Times in September, Dr. Fauci spoke about the harassment and threats that he and his family, including his children, had received from “radical extreme right individuals,” including hundreds of emails and text messages with violent language accusing the doctor of being “a killer.”

“It’s all part of what you’re seeing in the intense, fiercely intense polarization that we’re seeing in the country,” Dr. Fauci said in September.

Fox News is a frequent venue for the criticism, and where the doctor is occasionally referred to as “Lord Fauci.” The network’s highest-rated hosts often depict him as an authoritarian determined to strip Americans of basic freedoms. Tucker Carlson has claimed that Dr. Fauci “created Covid,” and accused him of spreading “authoritarian germ hysteria.”

On Oct. 4, Mr. Carlson accused Mr. Fauci of deciding “to unilaterally end Christmas,” in remarks that also included a reference to “sneezing, unvaccinated illegal immigrants coming into this country,” which Mr. Carlson said had contributed to more Covid-19 cases.

Lara Logan, a former CBS News correspondent, used an appearance on Fox News in November to compare Dr. Fauci to Josef Mengele, the notorious Nazi doctor and murderer, prompting a rebuke from the Anti-Defamation League. Since then, Ms. Logan has not appeared on Fox News or the streaming platform Fox Nation.

Dr. Fauci, who once appeared fairly regularly on Fox News to discuss the government response to the pandemic, called Ms. Logan’s comments “unconscionable.” He has been mostly absent from the network of late, though he appeared with the anchor Neil Cavuto on Dec. 3; Mr. Cavuto contracted Covid in October and has urged his viewers to be vaccinated.

Mr. Watters has gone about his job as usual since the uproar over his remarks, which he made on Monday. On Wednesday, he guest-hosted Mr. Carlson’s program, the highest-rated show on cable news; during the appearance, Mr. Watters referred to Dr. Fauci as “his holiness.”

Still, the pandemic has had some impact on Mr. Watters and his fellow stars of the Fox News afternoon talk show “The Five.” The hosts taped the show on Wednesday from separate locations, rather than in the same New York studio, because of increasing fears over the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, which prompted Fox News to declare its Manhattan office off limits to unvaccinated employees.

The network had previously allowed those employees to work in its office as long as they tested negative. Fox News attributed the change to new city requirements recently issued by Mayor Bill de Blasio.

Sheryl Gay Stolberg contributed reporting.

Michael M. Grynbaum is a media correspondent covering the intersection of business, culture and politics. @grynbaum
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Texas Man Arrested for Making Election-Related Threats to Government Officials: First Case Charged by Justice Department’s Election Threats Task Force
by The United States Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
January 21, 2022

A Texas man was arrested today in Travis County, Texas, for allegedly sending threatening election-related communications to government officials on Jan. 5, 2021.

Chad Stark, 54, of Leander, was arrested this morning in a law enforcement operation carried out by the FBI. He is scheduled to make his initial appearance this afternoon at the federal courthouse in Austin, Texas.

This is the first criminal case brought by the Justice Department’s Election Threats Task Force. Announced by Attorney General Merrick B. Garland and launched by Deputy Attorney General Lisa O. Monaco in late June 2021, the task force is leading the department’s efforts to address threats of violence against election workers, and to ensure that all election workers — whether elected, appointed or volunteer — are able to do their jobs free from threats and intimidation. The task force engages with the election community and state and local law enforcement to assess allegations and reports of threats against election workers, and investigates and prosecutes these matters where appropriate, in partnership with FBI field offices and U.S. Attorneys’ Offices throughout the country as warranted.

“The Justice Department has a responsibility not only to protect the right to vote, but also to protect those who administer our voting systems from violence and illegal threats of violence,” said Attorney General Garland. “The department’s Election Threats Task Force, working with partners across the country, will hold accountable those who violate federal law by using violence or threatening violence to target election workers fulfilling their public duties.”

“Today’s arrest confirms the FBI’s commitment in our pursuit of justice against those who choose to threaten violence against anyone participating in our elections,” said FBI Director Christopher Wray. “Election workers striving to protect our right to a fair and democratic process deserve nothing less than the utmost safety and assurance they can accomplish their roles without interference. The FBI will continue to focus on our mission of protecting these individuals and the important work they do, as well as every American’s right to vote.”

“The intimidation of those in charge of carrying out free and fair elections in this country is against the law and cannot go unchecked,” said U.S. Attorney Kurt R. Erskine for the Northern District of Georgia. “When someone threatens an election official working at any level of the voting process – whether that be an elected office holder or a volunteer poll worker – our democracy is put in jeopardy. We are grateful to all of those who endeavor to secure our elections and our democracy. We must protect them all.” According to the indictment, on Jan. 5, 2021, Stark allegedly posted a message to Craigslist entitled, “Georgia Patriots it’s time to kill [Official A] the Chinese agent - $10,000.” The message stated:

Georgia Patriots it’s time for us to take back our state from these Lawless treasonous traitors. It’s time to invoke our Second Amendment right it’s time to put a bullet in the treasonous Chinese [Official A]. Then we work our way down to [Official B] the local and federal corrupt judges. It’s our duty as American Patriots to put an end to the lives of these traitors and take back our country by force we can no longer wait on the corrupt law enforcement in the corrupt courts. If we want our country back we have to exterminate these people. One good loyal Patriot deer hunter in camo and a rifle can send a very clear message to these corrupt governors.. milita up Georgia it’s time to spill blood…. we need to pay a visit to [Official C] and her family as well and put a bullet her behind the ears. Let’s be very clear to our local law enforcement who have stood down and watch BLM antifa destroy our country and kill our citizens yet you’ll step up to stop Patriot supporters you’ll enforce face mask and you’ll close American businesses??? Remember one thing local law enforcement the key word being local….. we will find you oathbreakers and we’re going to pay your family to visit your mom your dad your brothers and sisters your children your wife… we’re going to make examples of traitors to our country… death to you and all you communist friends.

Organized by Deputy Attorney General Monaco, the Election Threats Task Force is led by the Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section and includes several other entities within the Department of Justice, including the Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section of the Criminal Division, the Civil Rights Division, the National Security Division and the FBI, as well as key interagency partners, such as the Department of Homeland Security. For more information regarding the Justice Department’s efforts to combat threats against election workers, read the Deputy Attorney General’s memo.

To report suspected threats or violent acts, contact your local FBI office and request to speak with the Election Crimes Coordinator. Contact information for every FBI field office may be found at https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/. You may also contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324) or file an online complaint at tips.fbi.gov. Complaints submitted will be reviewed by the task force and referred for investigation or response accordingly. If someone is in imminent danger or risk of harm, contact 911 or your local police immediately.

Stark is charged with one count of communicating interstate threats. If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after considering the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

The FBI’s Atlanta Field Office is investigating the case.

Deputy Director Sean F. Mulryne of the Criminal Division’s Public Integrity Section and Assistant U.S. Attorney Brent Alan Gray of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia are prosecuting the case.

An indictment is merely an allegation, and all defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:15 am

Raskin: Tapes Show McCarthy 'Radically Changed' Tune On Jan. 6
MSNBC
Apr 27, 2022

January 6th Select Cmte. member Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Maryland) joins MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell to discuss the recently released tapes of Rep. Kevin McCarthy and other Republican leaders expressing concern about the far-right members of their caucus after the Capitol insurrection.

1:10
LAWRENCE O'DONNELL: IN THOSE TAPES, WHICH WERE
OBTAINED BY THE NEW YORK TIMES,
MCCARTHY AND TOP HOUSE
REPUBLICAN LEADERS ARE HEARD
EXPRESSING CONCERN THAT FLORIDA
CONGRESSMAN MATT GAETZ AND
OTHER EXTREME MEMBERS OF THE
REPUBLICAN PARTY COULD INCITE
VIOLENCE AGAINST OTHER MEMBERS
OF CONGRESS IN BOTH PARTIES.

MCCARTHY: OKAY, THE OTHER THING