I Went To Jail Over An Hermes Bag, by Carson Griffith

Gathered together in one place, for easy access, an agglomeration of writings and images relevant to the Rapeutation phenomenon.

I Went To Jail Over An Hermes Bag, by Carson Griffith

Postby admin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:57 am

I Went To Jail Over An Hermes Bag
by Carson Griffith
Harper's Bazaar
February 12, 2016

NOTICE: THIS WORK MAY BE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO READ THE COPYRIGHT NOTICE AT THIS LINK BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING WORK, THAT IS AVAILABLE SOLELY FOR PRIVATE STUDY, SCHOLARSHIP OR RESEARCH PURSUANT TO 17 U.S.C. SECTION 107 AND 108. IN THE EVENT THAT THE LIBRARY DETERMINES THAT UNLAWFUL COPYING OF THIS WORK HAS OCCURRED, THE LIBRARY HAS THE RIGHT TO BLOCK THE I.P. ADDRESS AT WHICH THE UNLAWFUL COPYING APPEARED TO HAVE OCCURRED. THANK YOU FOR RESPECTING THE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

Sarah Snyder entered a bad dream starring a luxury handbag...​

Sarah Snyder, best known for her cheeky Instagram handle (@sarahfuckingsnyder), sexy selfies and famous boyfriend, was arrested on June 15th, 2015 on a charge of felony Grand Larceny in an alleged connection with the theft of a $15,995 Hermes Birkin handbag. The theft occurred on February 19th, 2015 from a consignment store, Penny Pinchers, in Bedford, New York. Snyder, who is currently represented by Re: Quest Model Management, was detained following a four-month investigation by the Bedford police. On February 10th, 2016, during a hearing in the ritzy upstate enclave, the charges against Snyder were dismissed in the interest of justice upon motion. This is the first time she is sharing the story in her own words...

In June, I was at my friend's apartment in New York City when the cops showed up. I don't even know how they knew I was there. They asked me, 'Are you Sarah Snyder?' There were two male cops in uniform in the hallway, and they started questioning me for about thirty to forty minutes: They asked if I had ever taken a bag, if I had ever seen the bag, if I was familiar with the bag. They gave me details of the bag, and showed me a picture of it. They told me it had been stolen in Westchester in February. They claimed to have done a four-month long investigation, and they were positive I had done it. The store employees from the consignment store, the four women who worked there, had supposedly identified my picture. I had never met them. I kept telling them I hadn't, that I had never seen the bag before, and that I had never even been to Westchester!

Eventually the police said: ' Just tell us. It won't hurt you, it will only benefit you. We know you know where the bag is. Everything will be fine.' I just kept saying I didn't do it. Then they told me I had to get in their car and go with them. I asked if I had to. They said yes, that I didn't have an option, and that I was going for questioning.

I didn't completely know my rights. They said, 'You have to get in the car,' but I found out later that I didn't have to. They didn't let me call anyone, so I was texting my dad in the car. I was crying and really scared. I asked three times if I had to go with them. I asked if I could get a lawyer. They just said I had to go.

So I got in the unmarked police car with the two male cops. I didn't know we were going all the way to Bedford. I said, 'Bedford? An hour away? Why are we going so far away?' They said 'That's where the police station is.'

Whenever I was in the cop car, they were like, 'We've been on your Instagram, we know who you are.' I wanted to be like, 'Exactly, then if you know so much about me, then why would you ever think I would steal a purse?!' I can't remember if they said anything about my Instagram handle name, @sarahfuckingsnyder, though.

As soon as we got to Bedford, we went to the consignment store where the bag was taken from, and they asked me if I had ever been there. I told them I hadn't, and that I didn't know what it was, and I repeated that I had never even been to Bedford. They accused me of lying, and we drove to the police station.

As soon as I got out of the car they handcuffed me. I kept saying 'Am I going to jail?' They told me I wasn't, and everything was going to be fine, and I could go home that night. I couldn't stop crying.

Inside, they handcuffed me to a bench. It was at this point, when I had a lot of time to think, that I realized I wasn't even in the state when they claimed I had stolen this bag. I was in Tampa, Florida with my dad.

The cops said I was going to see a judge at 2PM; it was about 12PM at that time. I was freaking out. I was asking a lot of questions. The cop then got a phone call that the judge was busy and he wasn't going to come in until later, so then they put me in a jail cell with a toilet and a metal bench and said 'I'll come check on you.' About 3 hours went by.

I kept thinking, 'How could they just put me in there' I told them so many times I didn't do it. Time went by so slowly, and they didn't check on me at all. I was watching the shadows on the bars thinking the sun was going down. Finally they came in and said, 'In about twenty minutes you're going to go see the judge.' And then I went across the street into a different room and was chained to another bench. The cops said a public defender was going to come in and help me out so I didn't even have to go to jail. The public defender asked how much bail I was able to give and I said my parents would pay however much it took so I wouldn't have to go to jail. She presented that amount to the judge. My bail was set at $8,000.

I went to jail until my bail could actually post. I was terrified when they were taking me to the holding cell, there were people pounding on the glass doors at me. I went and got changed and then went to get my mugshot taken. They talked about moving me and taking me to get a medical shot-which you have to get to go into a cell with other cellmates-there was a chance I wasn't going to get out that night. But then someone bailed me out; I just had to wait for the money to process. It was another thirty minutes before I got all my belongings back, and then I finally got to leave. I think it was around 3AM.

I have been to court four times for this case. There was a lot of proof I didn't do it. There was a time-stamped plane ticket, my dad's affidavit, my phone records, my credit card statement, and there are pictures of me in my dad's house in Florida on the same day they claim I stole the purse. My phone triangulated back to Florida -- the police called AT&T. They even went back in my phone to check that I hadn't changed the date in my phone.

I saw a picture of the woman whom they were looking for originally. She was on a poster, like 'Have You Seen This Bag and This Woman." They described her as a woman in her 30's, she has black hair, she is bigger, and she's in heels. That's definitely not me.

I haven't told many people about this. I think I've told four people this story, because it doesn't seem believable. I feel no one believes me but my dad. I just feel like it's a crazy situation. So many people are like, 'You stole a bag, you're such a horrible person that you did this.' I've gotten so much hate from this. My reputation is so bad now. I know a lot of companies haven't worked with me because of this situation. I lost a recent fashion magazine editorial. The bigger companies are like,' No, that's going to make us look bad.' I have been through so much for something I didn't do.

On Wednesday night, February 10th, during a hearing in Bedford at 6:30pm, the charges were dismissed. I'm just happy that people know the truth and know that I didn't do it. It was satisfying to know that they admitted that they were wrong. All the prejudice against me will hopefully evaporate because the courts confirmed I was in Florida. I have been through so much shit this past year. I'm just glad it's over.
admin
Site Admin

Return to A Growing Corpus of Analytical Materials